Profile for Todd Smith > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Todd Smith "Hot Toddy" RSS Feed (Pawling, NY)

Page: 1 | 2
Griffin 3m USB to Lightning Cable (GC36633)
Griffin 3m USB to Lightning Cable (GC36633)
Offered by PORTABLE GUY
Price: $18.53
25 used & new from $10.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Reliable, but a well made cable., July 15, 2014
I had the old style (30-pin?) Griffin Cables, and they worked great, long, sturdy. Great. I used them for battery charging, not for data transfer.
Anyway, I upgraded to an iPhone 5s, so I bought two of these, again, just to keep me charged, not for syncing/data transfer. My iPhone constantly gives me pops up, stating that this is not a certified cable, etc. as time passed, it stopped charging my phone. It still works intermittently, bit it is not reliable.
I get the feeling that this is not necessarily Griffin's fault, it could very well be Apple pulling some shenanigans. I do not like the fact that Apple does not offer a cable as long as these Griffin beauties. If Grif could make a "certified" adapter, I would buy it. The cables themselves are well made, they just "don't work good". :-(

Champion Men's Tagless Short-Sleeve Ringer T-Shirt, white/team blue, Large
Champion Men's Tagless Short-Sleeve Ringer T-Shirt, white/team blue, Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Ringer, December 2, 2012
I love these shirts.

They fit me very well, I've always loved ringers.

And they are cheap. If you go camping and ruin one, who cares? BUY ANOTHER!

The Caribbean 2012 Wall Calendar 12" X 12"
The Caribbean 2012 Wall Calendar 12" X 12"

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, whatever, December 2, 2012
I bought this for my office, to give me some uplifting Carribean scenery. For that it succeeded.

For my business, I need to see 1 month in advance, and 1 month in the past.

No fault of this calendar, but I need 3 month range.

ACCUSTAMP "COPY" Shutter Stamp with Microban Protection, Pre-Inked Red and Blue, Message Stamp (035532)
Offered by BIC Warehouse
Price: $9.00
19 used & new from $2.91

5.0 out of 5 stars nice, December 2, 2012
nice. Works every time. I press down on the top, and the bottom of this thing spreads like butter. A nice two-tone stamp, and then I'm done. Had it for 2 years + now, very reliable...

Paper Mate InkJoy 700 RT Retractable Medium Point Advanced Ink Pens, 4 Blue Ink White Body Pens (1781585)
Price: $6.80
8 used & new from $5.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost good, December 2, 2012
I bought a five-pack for work and home, and I liked these pens.

The first one I used, I spent all of the ink. It was a very reliable pen.

The second one seems to "glob out" big chunks of ink, makes a tiny mess.

These are good pens, but not super-good. I will probably buy more...

Top Of The World
Top Of The World
Price: $10.00
53 used & new from $5.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Why aren't these guys more famous?!, December 2, 2012
This review is from: Top Of The World (Audio CD)
I recently discovered Stoopid, and I can't get enough. These guys are the best!

The interplay between Miles and Kyle is great.

I saw the Karl Denson with Kyle, OG and De-La paying tribute to the Beasties; what a great show!

I know it wasn't Kyle that did the Horowitz part, but that guy was amazing! OG?

Everything You Need
Everything You Need
Price: $14.07
59 used & new from $6.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good!, December 2, 2012
This review is from: Everything You Need (Audio CD)
I only discovered Stoopid 2 years ago, so I am a neophyte, but I just can't get enough of this album.

It is hard to find a weak point on this album.

"Sweet Honey" drew me in, but I soon realized that "Officer", "Runnin' With a Gun", "Killin' Me Deep Inside", "Wicked Rebel", and of course, "Collie Man".

This is a FIVE-STAR album. Every song is quite solid, and worth re-visiting. I love STOOPID!

Coffee People Kona Blend Island Style, K-Cup Portion Pack for Keurig K-Cup Brewers (Pack of 50)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee, July 10, 2011
This coffee is great! I was a fan of Tully's Kona, but the prices were way too steep. Now Coffee People's Kona is unavailable, but I am signed up to receive a message whence it does become available.

MY ONLY NEGATIVE POINT: when filling a cup on the largest size, it does become tastabley weak, but it does provide a great tasting, balanced cup of joe, when you add "Sugar in the Raw" and "Coffeemate". No fuss, no muss.

Learn Spanish: Fluenz Spanish Latin America 1+2+3+4+5 for Mac, PC, and Phone
Learn Spanish: Fluenz Spanish Latin America 1+2+3+4+5 for Mac, PC, and Phone
Offered by Fluenz
Price: $348.00
7 used & new from $342.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Fluenz F2 vs Rosetta Stone: On a MacBook, January 30, 2010
I went on a vacation to Costa Rica, and resolved to learn Spanish. I studied French in high school and college, and I enjoyed it for the most part. I've NEVER had an opportunity to actually use my French, as I've found that everyone who speaks French usually speaks English. So, I thought I would try to learn Spanish, and maybe I could actually use it.

I found a website which reviewed many Spanish Learning Software packages, and many of them are only PC compatible. The two highest rated Mac compatibles were Fluenz and Rosetta Stone, #2 & #3, respectively. I had seen the Rosetta Stone commercials ad nauseum, so I thought it would be a good starting point. The "no drills" and "no memorization" aspects sounded great, so RS was my starting point.

I started out with Rosetta Stone 1, 2, & 3. RS is a beautiful program, with lovely pictures, and an intuitive interface. There were many, many times when I was clueless as to what to do, so I would just click until I got it right. RS would sense this, and would present the material again until I scored 90% or better. However, there WERE times when I would figure out the answer through the process off elimination, without truly understanding what I was saying/doing. For example, "comprar": did it mean "to shop" or "to buy"? I couldn't tell. Also, the speech recognition on Rosetta Stone could prove to be very temperamental. There were some words, some ONE-SYLLABLE words, that RS simply couldn't accept. I would record them with my iPhone, and play it back into the microphone, and it STILL wouldn't work. These occasions were rare, but troublesome. There were multi-syllable words or phrases that I had to use the iPhone trick for. I could repeat it one hundred times into the microphone, and it would NEVER NEVER accept what I said. After a while, I felt like I was getting great practice on how to record phrases with my iPhone, but for learning Spanish, my progress was slow. Also, I wasn't learning anything practical for use as a tourist. I want to learn how to bargain a little bit: "I will give you fifty, OK?" I wasn't getting that with Rosetta Stone. I think I completed Disc 2 of RS. Again, it was good, but there were many things that I wasn't sure about.

I heard about Fluenz from that website, and decided to give it a try. I ordered 1+2+3+4+5. A bit ambitious, but, like anything, the unit price goes down when you buy in bulk. I just finished up the first disc, so I'm not at any kind of expert level, but I liked what I've seen so far. I feel like I've really nailed the present tense conjugations of the following words: To Be (both Estar and Ser), To Go (very useful for meatball future tense), To Want, To Need, To Eat, To Drink. These words will get a tourist through a great many situations.

Fluenz's approach is different than Rosetta Stone. They start with Sonia Gil giving an intro, then a simple conversation between two or more people. You can listen to it without subtitles, with Spanish subtitles, or with English and Spanish subtitles. You should listen to it three times, once with each subtitle option. Sonia comes back, and breaks down the dialog, explaining what each word means, and how they relate to each other. There are then various drills, many of which involve typing down what you hear. These are challenging, and fun for me. I pride myself on my spelling, and these can be hard but satisfying to complete.

Fluenz does NOT use voice-recognition, which simply and effectively eliminates the frustrations I had with RS. My accent may not be as polished as it might be with RS, but at least I'm not fretting about getting stuck on a certain passage, wondering if it is me or the computer that is at fault. However, Fluenz DOES make use of the microphone. The aforementioned conversations are repeated, with you taking the role of one of the characters. You say the line that is shown, and click 'stop', and the conversation continues. You then play back the conversation, so you can hear your own voice. At that point in the lesson, you can tell if your accent is crap or not. And this works for me. I want to be a tourist, not a Telemundo newscaster. If I can crack a joke in Spanish, and make a senorita laugh, then this whole language thing will have paid off.

One thing I've found to be kind of humorous: Sonia Gil is very attractive. Sometimes my mind goes blank, as I'm just staring at her face, and I miss what she said completely. Doh!

MacBook users: Both Rosetta Stone and Fluenz work beautifully with my 2009 MacBook. No external microphones needed. RS adjusts the sensitivity of the microphone automatically, Fluenz does not. You will have to go System Preferences/Sound to adjust it. Once you do, it is done. No problem.

I recommend Fluenz over Rosetta Stone, especially if you are an adult who wants to 'speak tourist'. Rosetta Stone is good, but the little snags proved to be frustrating for me. Fluenz is more real world oriented, with expressions like: "We are going to the store together, would you like to come?", whereas Rosetta Stone had expressions like: "The car is in front of the house" or "the dog wants meat"

The people at Fluenz are great as well. I ordered 1+2+3+4+5, but I only received 1+2+3. I contacted Amazon, who said "Because Fluenz's inventory is constantly changing, we can't replace items sold by them that are Fulfilled by Amazon." I could either return the whole thing, or they could refund part of the money. I let Fluenz know about this, and they promptly sent me the missing discs 4+5. So Fluenz's customer service is great. Over educated young college grads.

Follow Up: 5/17/10: I've been using Fluenz, off and on, (it's hard to remain focused), but to address my previous statement: "For example, "comprar": did it mean "to shop" or "to buy"? I couldn't tell. " Comprar means both "to shop for" and "to buy". Doh!

I trade comments with Sonia on Facebook, she's the best! Nothing wrong with Rosetta Stone, but Fluenz is the real deal, in my opinion.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2014 2:27 PM PDT

The Else
The Else
Offered by newbury_comics
Price: $21.99
35 used & new from $2.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't mind the negative reviews.. this album is wonderful., February 23, 2008
This review is from: The Else (Audio CD)
I suspect that those who wrote the negative reviews are not true TMBG fans. In my opinion, part of being a true fan is to see TMBG live. Sure, the early albums were very sharply produced with odd rhythms and just plain tasty weirdness. However, that is only half of the goodness which is TMBG. These guys can really rock and get a crowd going.

This album displays their talent as a band, with real bass and drums, not synthesized electronic stuff. Truly imaginative lyrical content. Sort of like Cake, they write songs about topics that no other band would even think of. "Bee of the Bird of the Moth"? C'mon, no one but TMBG would even know that there is a real Hummingbird Moth.

'The Else' is NOT like the first 4 albums. It is different, to be sure, but just enjoy it.

Page: 1 | 2