Profile for Remington Graves > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Remington Graves RSS Feed (Pomona, CA (USA))

Does This Look Infected
Does This Look Infected
Offered by Media Supplies Outlet
Price: $13.89
110 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprising follow-up to "All Killer, No Filler", November 29, 2002
This review is from: Does This Look Infected (Audio CD)
After hearing what "All Killer, No Filler" had to offer, I must say that I was hardly what you would call a fan of Sum 41. Upon listening to "Still Waiting" (for those not aware, the first single off "Does This Look Infected?"), however, I decided to give this band another chance. Rest assured that I was not disappointed - this is one of the most satisfying CD purchases I have made in quite a while, and I am now officially considered a "goon" (which, I am told, is what Sum 41 fans call themselves).
To begin with, the single hooked me; this track alone guaranteed that I would buy the CD. "Still Waiting" is an extremely catchy song, blessed with crisply frenetic riffs and a gloriously harmonious chorus. One always worries that the other songs on an album will not be up to snuff, but my concerns were quickly put to rest by the first notes of "The Hell Song" and the subsequent pieces of music.
If you have been keeping up with the professional reviews of this album, you have undoubtedly heard that Sum 41 have matured musically since their last endeavour. The reviews are right; although the members of the band apparently don't take themselves very seriously (read below about the included DVD), their music has hit puberty, so to speak. The guitarwork, melodies, and harmonies all show incredible improvement from "All Killer, No Filler." In one interview, frontman Deryck Whibley said that the band was going for the "holy [feces]" factor: They wanted people who hear the new album to say "Holy [feces], this is Sum 41?!" Although the irrepressible Sum 41 style still shines through, "Does This Look Infected?" does definitely possess a harder, darker, more sober aspect; an edge missing from their last record.
Now, I won't pretend that I adore every song on this album; although all the tracks are well-done, I certainly enjoy some more than others. The fact that not every second of this album gets my blood pumping and my adrenaline flowing isn't enough to justify any less than my five-star rating, however; it is rare for me to find a record on which I love all the tracks, but "Does This Look Infected?" comes bloody close. Memorable melodies, wonderfully frantic guitars (especially in the closing of "Mr. Amsterdam"), captivating harmonies, and a more mature look at the world come together in the grand culmination that is Sum 41's newest addition to the world of punk rock.
To be perfectly frank, the bonus DVD and offer of a live EP slightly disappointed me. Although the DVD has a somewhat amusing mockery of a "Behind The Music" episode about Pain For Pleasure (presumably Sum 41's heavy metal counterparts), the main focus appears to be the band's "home videos," laden with Jackass-esque antics that failed to amuse me.
Apparently, the band's producers encourage them to do whatever they want (for the sole purpose of being incorporated into these videos), with the understanding that all damages will be paid for. Personally, I found the DVD to be uninspiring for the most part. If you are a fan of Jackass and other such sadomasochistic programs, however, then you should be tickled pink by this "documentary."
As for the live EP, this is simple enough. Go to Sum 41's website, click on the proper link, type in some pertinent information (including the special code they give you inside the CD case), and have an opportunity to download five live songs off a predetermined list. Of course, you can listen to them before making your decision, assuming your computer has the capability (and a sufficiently swift Internet connection) to do so. I haven't looked over the list in detail yet, but it looks as though it may be worth it to check out what they're offering. If you are an enormous fan of Sum 41's earlier music, and like live versions, you will most likely jump at this opportunity.
When all is said and done, "Does This Look Infected?" is a highly enjoyable and worthwhile purchase. The songs are excellent, the DVD interesting, the prospect of a live CD exciting, and the booklet art charmingly morbid (they obviously had a lot of fun with fake blood at the photo shoots)-I give this album my highest recommendations. Some especially notable tracks are "The Hell Song," "Still Waiting," "No Brains" (called "Yesterday.com" in nearly all the online track listings I've read), and "Mr. Amsterdam," although as I said, not a single track is disappointing.
quite a while.