Profile for Elena Portacolone > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Elena Portacolone "Elena Portacolone" RSS Feed (Berkeley)

4 Pack of Anti Vibration Pads 4" x 4" x 7/8" All Purpose Super Duty Blue Composite foam Vibration isolation pads
Offered by Universal Pneumatic & Electric Group

Wearing God's Mala: The Seva Sutra
Price: $22.00
3 used & new from $22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Buckle up!, November 13, 2014
Great book for meditation practitioners eager to discover the hidden gems of Kundalini Yoga. In this book Swami Khecaranatha reveals potent techniques to increase the flow of energy within ourselves and to reach a deeper place within. These techniques provide us with a fast track to a communion with our higher self. What is amazing is the simplicity and power of these tools. These are precious teachings that grow over you with the passing of time. I could not recommend it more.

Silent Voices: People with Mental Disorders on the Street
Silent Voices: People with Mental Disorders on the Street
by Robert L. Okin
Price: $16.51
58 used & new from $10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Potent work of love, July 22, 2014
This book is a potent work of love towards the increasing number of American homeless. Imagine one of the smartest psychiatrists in the U.S. spending time on the streets to better understand the homeless with some form of mental illness in San Francisco. If we want to understand how come they landed on the street, as well as their strategies, concerns, memories, and joys, then this is the book that brings us closer to them. And Okin’s pictures bring us even closer to them. What I loved the most is the humility of a well-known psychiatrist towards these persons, it is touching how Okin approaches them and wants to learn from them. Thank you for this wonderful book! It was time, especially considering the widening disparities between the “haves” and the “have-nots” in the city.

Shiva's Trident: The Consciousness of Freedom and the Means to Liberation
Shiva's Trident: The Consciousness of Freedom and the Means to Liberation
Price: $22.50
5 used & new from $17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Must for Kundalini meditation practitioners, November 27, 2013
If you are interested in Kundalini meditation, treasure this book. Before reading it, I suggest to read "Depth Over Time" of the same author, and THEN tackle this book. Shiva Trident contains very sophisticated meditations and discussions. I cannot emphasize the insightfulness depth, and scope of this work. What is beautiful is that the writings stem from the study of ancient scriptures as well as more than 40 years of meditation, selfless service, and devotion. It is unique to find such a marriage of theory and practice. And we are talking of a master, not someone who had some scattered Kundalini experiences over time. The aim of this book is to assist practitioners in getting closer and closer to their higher self. To do so, the author takes us in his journey, gives us guided meditations, and even free downloads of his guided meditations. The book is a must for Kundalini meditation must for Kundalini meditation practitioners like me. I loved it!!

The Tao of Dating: The Smart Woman's Guide to Being Absolutely Irresistible
The Tao of Dating: The Smart Woman's Guide to Being Absolutely Irresistible
by Ali Binazir
Price: $26.69
39 used & new from $21.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond awesome, December 24, 2012
If you are single woman longing for a fabulous relationship, you must learn this book by heart just because it is way to the point.

Ali wrote a masterpiece as he gave us the knowledge, tips, encouragement, and wisdom to understand what we want in an intimate relationship. Sounds easy, but it is not. And then he gives us great suggestions on how to get there and how to lead fulfilled lives in general, with or without the guy. And all written very well, with humor, warmth, and empathy. I cannot recommend it more.

The Art of Fielding: A Novel
The Art of Fielding: A Novel
by Chad Harbach
299 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Capolavoro, March 3, 2012
I loved this book from start to end. Chad, please give us another book FAST!!! I LOVED your first work.

Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Surprising Appeal of Living Alone
Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Surprising Appeal of Living Alone
by Eric Klinenberg
154 used & new from $0.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Going Solo Rocks!, February 4, 2012
I loved reading this heartfelt and thorough investigation of a rather unexplored phenomenon as living alone. I enjoyed very much the way the plot unfolds. I could not put the book down until the end, something that never occurs.

As in Heat Wave, the account unfolds through the eloquent use of academic literature, the compelling stories of informants, and the author's candid observations. Without revealing too much, I enjoyed how Klinenberg convinced me of the appeal of living alone. I often found myself wondering how the author, a married man with two kids, could explain with crystal clarity the thrill of making it alone of many women like me - buying a home on your own, finding your path, falling in love with your higher self. What I loved the most was how the author employed the "appeal" of the "social experiment" of living alone as the foundation for the discussion of the other side of the coin - the hardships and hazards of living alone in societies not yet equipped to serve legions of one-head householders.

As social scientist who studied for the last four years the condition of living alone in older age in America, I was pleased to finally, for the first time, read such an articulate and entertaining discussion of the many facets of living solo. I appreciated how Klinenberg draws the line between loneliness and living alone, how he highlights the issues of studying social isolation and the importance of proper housing policies. I was taken by the author's account of his grandmother's experience in a high-end assistive living facility (we know so little about life in these spaces!), his reflection on horrific nursing homes and unaffordable services for older adults, as well as his discussion of best practices in New York and in Sweden.

Finally, whereas Heat Wave was a serious book as "social autopsies" should be, Going Solo surprised me with some very funny paragraphs where I found myself laughing hard. It was a joy to finally immerse myself into a sophisticated analysis founded on unforgettable ethnographies, clear arguments, and even humor. What an inspiration!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2013 10:28 PM PST

Depth Over Time: Kundalini Mahayoga: A Path of Transformation and Liberation
Depth Over Time: Kundalini Mahayoga: A Path of Transformation and Liberation
3 used & new from $999.10

5.0 out of 5 stars A must and a gem, February 2, 2011
"Depth Over Time" is a must for every Tantric practitioner because it is one of those rare books that teaches you step by step, with very simple words, how to attain the communion with your Higher Self. Each page is dense with teachings, anecdotes, and guided meditations. There is also a code to freely download some excellent guided meditations. Being a long-time student of Swami Khecaranatha, my review is biased. Of course I devoured this book and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I imagine that practitioners that never met Swami Khecaranatha will take some time to absorb so many teachings and will use them to find deeper dimensions within themselves.