Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Candid Reviewer > Reviews

Browse

Candid Reviewer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 298
Top Reviewer Ranking: 297

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Candid Reviewer RSS Feed (GA USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (D&D Accessory)
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (D&D Accessory)
by Wizards RPG Team
Price: $27.19
83 used & new from $19.44

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME resource for a DM who wants a pre-designed setting to help him/her craft new (and endless) adventures!, June 7, 2016
As others have said, this is not an RPG module that holds your hand to lead you through an adventure. However, if you're a DM who is ready to create fresh adventures of your own devising, but who would like to set those adventures in a rich, varied, pre-designed world that has an existing repertoire of towns, factions, religions, terrains, and folklore, THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU. It's an awesome resource, with all the setting elements a decent storyteller needs to stage terrific and truly endless adventures. Highly recommended!

Jumbo d20 Counter - Opaque 34mm Dice: Red with White
Jumbo d20 Counter - Opaque 34mm Dice: Red with White
Offered by Gamerz Guild
Price: $5.87
6 used & new from $5.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool way to add a little extra "something" to critical rolls., June 7, 2016
The Jumbo d20 Counter - Opaque 34mm Dice has been a great addition for our Dungeons & Dragons RPG sessions. Yes, we already had plenty of 20-sided dice, but the conspicuously larger size of this die (about the size of a small plum) adds a little extra fun and also makes it easier to discourage children from trying to cheat (because the rolled number is easier for everyone around the table to see). My kids also just like the idea of rolling "the big one" as they call it. They think its cool. Who the heck knows why? But I agree, it is cool. On a good roll, it actually feels like you're hitting harder against the bad guys--as if the Dwarf's hammer is smashing into the Orc with devastating force--I suppose that's because the die has perceptibly greater mass to it. For that reason, I've gravitated toward the practice of only pulling this out when my players are up against a particularly daunting challenge. We've all come to think of this Jumbo d20 as a special die to be used when a player needs extra luck or extra force behind his/her attack. I also use it as DM to roll attacks for any large enemies, such as Giants, because although I roll behind a screen, the heavier sound of the die hitting the table also lends a sense of weightier blows and graver danger against the characters. Silly, but cool. If that sounds like fun or "value added" to you, you need one too.

Cocoon Grid-It CPG8BK 10.5 x 7.5-Inch Organizer (Black)
Cocoon Grid-It CPG8BK 10.5 x 7.5-Inch Organizer (Black)
Offered by GizmosForLife
Price: $16.97
27 used & new from $11.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent organizer, ideal for someone who switches between multiple bags/briefcases/purses!, June 7, 2016
The Cocoon Grid-It 10.5 x 7.5-Inch organizer is a great way to efficiently organize gear in a briefcase or messenger bag (or purse, I suppose--but as a guy, I don't have one of those). The elastic straps are considerably higher quality than I was expecting: not only stiff and ruggedly stretchy, but also lined with rubber grip bumps that help to hold equipment surprisingly securely. The grip bumps work particularly well on smooth plastic shelled equipment, such as pens, chapstick, a portable computer mouse, and other such items that would normally slip out from under a normal elastic strap. In that regard, I am very pleased.

WHAT IT'S GREAT FOR: This item is ideal for someone like me who switches between a fine leather briefcase for the office and a messenger bag on weekends for carrying items like diapers, wipes, a Kindle, headphones, etc. (I am a dad of three young girls all under age 6). By placing my everyday items in this organizer, I not only can keep them securely organized in each case, but I can easily swap them back and forth between my briefcase and messenger bag without having to move the items one by one (nor "reorganize" them) each time. I just lift this insert out of my briefcase and pop it into my messenger bag, or vice versa. In short, if you're swapping between bags often, this is a phenomenal, uber-convenient solution.

It also excels at holding small items secure and stable in your bag, especially if you have a structureless (floppy) style bag like a canvas satchel or messenger bag. Whereas those bags are prone to letting small items spill out when you set them down carelessly, this insert keeps them tightly in place and even lends a rectangular structure to "fill out" the bag (assuming you pick a size that matches your bag's dimensions relatively closely) so that the bag is less floppy as well. That's the purpose of this organizer, so it's good to know it works very well at its job.

THE SHORTCOMINGS: I'm satisfied with this product, but a few shortcomings bear mentioning. First, it is slightly heavier than expected. In one regard, that's good because it means a more durable construction. However, if you're aiming for the lightest load possible, know that this organizer will add approximately 4 ounces to your load (i.e., a quarter of a pound). While that's not too bad, it may be important to some people. I've decided the convenience is worth the weight, but if I were considering this for ultralight backpacking, for instance, I would probably pass.

Second, although the elastic straps are fairly varied in length and placement, it takes a fair bit of thought to plan out how to use the organizer most efficiently. As I began filling it with gear, I found myself having to rearrange it many times to get everything to fit in a convenient arrangement. I also found (predictably) that it is most stable when you secure the heaviest items (e.g., a full tin of Altoids mints, a portable computer mouse) along the bottom of the organizer and stow lighter items (e.g., chapstick, earbuds) higher up. That makes it less prone to flop over, as well as less likely to "teeter" back and forth inside a fairly spacious, stiff-structured bag like my leather briefcase. Once you find a configuration that works for your gear, it will be time well spent, as everything rides nicely and stays put thereafter.

OTHER DETAILS
Unbeknownst to me, this particular divider--possibly all of the models--has a zippered case on the backside. It's quite thin, so it won't work for stowing items much thicker than a USB/flash drive, and may be difficult to access if small items slip to the bottom; however, it would be a good place to stow some spare cash for emergencies or something like that. The small zipper also looks to be of dubious quality. It works fine, but it gives the impression that it would break easily if stressed or if not handled with care. I probably won't use this zippered area for anything except spare cash, as I mentioned, since I wouldn't care to access it very often.

CONCLUSION
This is a great way to organize a briefcase, messenger bag, or purse--especially loose/floppy style bags that don't excel at holding items securely anyway--as long as you don't mind the added quarter-pound of weight. It is ideal for someone swapping numerous items between different bags on a regular basis. In the latter instance, I would even go so far as to say this is a must-have item, as it really does add enormous convenience in that regard. If that sounds like it fits your needs, then I recommend it without reservation. As for long-term durability, only time will tell, but having seen it in person, I do trust that it is rugged enough to yield years of reliable service.

Low Profile Picatinny Scope Mount Rail for AK Series Rifles
Low Profile Picatinny Scope Mount Rail for AK Series Rifles
Offered by RiLong
Price: $26.00
2 used & new from $26.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, solid, affordable way to mount a red dot with little added weight/bulk, June 3, 2016
This Low Profile Picatinny Scope Mount Rail for AK appears to be an exact clone of the Strike Industries AK Rear Sight Rail for Red Dot Optics, except that it averages 40-50% less in cost at $25. Despite that fact, it feels well made and durable. I have no plans to "torture test" it, but just by handling it, it is clear that the rail is cut cleanly for a good, snug fit with rail mounts and it feels like it could easily survive hard bumps if dropped. I have no way to know--nor any interest in testing--whether a hard drop would cause it to deform and/or crack, but that seems unlikely.

Whatever the metallurgy, the salient point is that this mount works great on my Century Arms RAS-47. After some minor adjustment (more on that in a moment), it fit very snugly into the rear sight channel. There appears to be some debate among others who use this rail as to whether the leaf spring needs to be removed from the rear sight before installing this mount. Since some reviewers claim this mount does not hold zero, I decided to try installing it with my leaf spring still in the sight channel. Perhaps for that reason, mine has absolutely no wobble or movement at all. It is rock solid. So if you find that yours is not rock solid, maybe try leaving in the sight spring and then reinstall this.

I said I had to adjust mine. Out of the box, the rail would not quite sit forward enough to align the mounting hole with the pivot hole of my RAS-47 AK's rear sight channel. I took a Dremel and carefully (and evenly!) beveled the leading edges of the rail, and that allowed me to move it forward the extra 0.5mm or so that I needed in order to get the mounting screw through without forcing it. As other reviewers have noted, the mounting hardware is delicate. While I don't know if it's of inferior quality (mine didn't break), I would definitely encourage care as you mount it. Don't force the parts. FIT them with a file or Dremel so that everything lines up. Also, if you install this over the leaf spring of your rear sight, I recommend using a rubber padded shop claim to pull the sight downward into alignment with the pivot hole so that you can install the mounting screw. That worked very easily for me, once I beveled the rail as described above to obtain the necessary forward adjustment to align the holes.

To set the rail angle, I adjusted the rail to parallel with the top edge of my AK's lower receiver. With the forward set screw in place (and dabbed with blue Locktite to prevent loosening), I then lowered the rear two set screws (turning them at even intervals) until they just touched bottom. Then I gave each of them about a quarter turn to SNUG up the fit (I dabbed them with blue Locktite as well). This left a rock solid platform for my Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot. I then zeroed the red dot using its windage and elevation adjustments, instead of making any adjustments to the rail. This worked out great for me.

Having used a side optic rail mount in the past, I can say that this sight-mounted rail significantly reduces weight and feels better balanced. I also like its height, which is one of the things I was most concerned about. Yes, it sits higher than other options and there is no way to do a co-witness setup since you're replacing your rear sight altogether. However, a proper and durable co-witness setup that truly maintains zero between cleanings cannot be had on an AK without spending well over $150 in my opinion (the RS Regulate system or KOP system mounts are the way to go in that regard, but they're both expensive and the latter requires significant gunsmithing). In the affordable range, for folks who aren't using their AKs under intensive-combat-training conditions, this is a truly excellent, affordable solution.

Other reviewers may be correct that the mounting screws included with this mount are not up to snuff, or quality control may vary from unit to unit. In my experience, if you use care to fit the rail with a file to get good hole alignment and then snug up--but not overtighten--the hardware, this will yield a rock-solid mounting platform for a red dot that is more than adequate for range and recreational use.

Teacher Created Resources 1 Minute Sand Timer - Large (20657)
Teacher Created Resources 1 Minute Sand Timer - Large (20657)
Price: $15.99
9 used & new from $13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Great durable, accurate sand timer!, June 1, 2016
The Teacher Created Resources 1 Minute Sand Timer is a durable, accurate, moderately large and stable (i.e., does not tip easily) sand timer. It is perfect for encouraging kids to brush their teeth and for timing activities that divide up into 1 minute intervals. Just flip the timer each time it empties to reset for another minute.

This timer is best suited for activities that take up to 4 minutes to complete. I use it for teeth brushing and also for Dungeons & Dragons role-playing games. In the latter case, if players are taking too long to make a decision, I pull out this timer and tell them they have 1 minute to make up their minds (sometimes 2 minutes, if I'm feeling generous). It's a great way to apply pressure to speed things along and keep the game from getting bogged down, especially when playing with easily-distracted kids. It can also be used for impromptu character penalties, such as telling a player that his/her character is blind, immobilized, unconscious, etc. for a certain number of minutes, instead of a number of turns. Sometimes, a time-based penalty works better than keeping track of turns, and watching/flipping the timer gives that character something to do, while creating a sense of tension/drama for the rest of the party as they try to compensate for the handicap for a set amount of time.

Anyway, whatever your needs, this is a good choice in an accurate, durable, easy-to-see (colorful) sand timer. Mine clocked in at almost exactly 60 seconds, so I would even trust it for precise cooking purposes if that's your goal. Of course, it you're timing multiple-minute activities, you just have to be diligent about flipping it the moment the upper glass runs out.

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - Concentrated Gas Formula 16 oz - Treats 256 Gallons
Price: $13.97

5.0 out of 5 stars The best fuel treatment I've used for stabilizing fuel long-term and preventing clogs/gumming in small fuel jets!, June 1, 2016
I first discovered Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment on the shelf at a marine parts store many years ago. Unsatisfied with the performance of Sta-bil, I asked a store clerk what he recommended and he showed me Star Tron. He said it has an active enzyme that "eats away" at gunk and deposits in the fuel. I admit, I was skeptical, but I gave it a try. All I can say is wow! A decade later and this stuff has never let me down.

What's so great about it? Whereas Sta-bil works great for fuel that may sit up to 8 months or so, I found that any fuel stored for a year or more would cause problems. I have a very efficient 3.5 hp outboard motor, a small push mower, and a garage-kept motorcycle that all tend to go a long, long time on a single tank of gas due to intermittent or highly seasonal use. Thus, it is not strange for either those engine tanks or my fuel storage containers to have fuel sit more than a year before being fully utilized. After repeated gumming problems with Sta-bil stabilized gas, I switched to Star Tron and ALL of my problems went away. In fact, I poured this stuff into the tank of my outboard which was becoming increasingly difficult to pull-start (the small fuel jets clog very easily) and a few days later, it resumed starting up like a new motor! Thus, I believe the claims that there is an active enzyme in Star Tron that eats away at deposits. This stuff doesn't just stabilize the fuel; it can help clear small partial clogs like I had in my outboard!

After the success with my outboard in particular, I started putting it in my push mower, weed whip, and motorcycle. In all cases, it has worked like a charm with no adverse effects to performance. The gas just seems to stay fresh and keep the motors running efficiently, with no backfire problems, smoking, clogs, or other symptoms of fuel-degradation. I also like that you don't have to be very precise in the measurement. Overtreating the fuel does not seem to be a problem (except that you will go through a bottle quicker, of course... I do still try to mix approximately to the specified proportions; I just don't bother getting out a measuring cup to be exact).

All in all, I'm totally confident in this stuff. It bears mentioning that I have never had trouble with ethanol in my outboard either. The Star Tron appears to discourage it from separating, as I've never had to flush out the tank--even after a year of no use--due to bad/separated fuel. Highly recommended!

Black Acrylic Felt - 72" X 2 yard
Black Acrylic Felt - 72" X 2 yard
Offered by TheFeltStoreUSA
Price: $32.11
2 used & new from $30.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice black acrylic felt, 1/16" thick, durable -- worked great for making a gaming table for RPGs/board games/etc., February 29, 2016
I used this Black Acrylic Felt 72" x 2 yards to cover a home-made gaming table for Dungeons & Dragons. The top of the table is 26" x 38", and this was more than enough to cover the top. I also had plenty left over to cut into dozens of 5" x 5" squares, which I use to cover the game map and then gradually reveal it as my players discover new areas of the dungeon/map we're playing. This is reasonably thick felt (~1/16") and it went onto the table top very nicely using 3M spray glue on the top surface and 1/4" staples to stretch the felt taut all the way around on the underside edges.

If you're looking for a good quality felt, especially in a similar application, I think this is a good choice.

Set of 50 Assorted Player Marbles 5/8 Inch with Portable Container
Set of 50 Assorted Player Marbles 5/8 Inch with Portable Container
Offered by Super Prime Seller
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, colorful, multi-color, multi-pattern marbles -- great for arts & crafts or RPG use!, February 29, 2016
This Set of 50 Assorted Player Marbles 5/8 Inch is a great choice if you want bright, colorful, varied-color marbles for arts and crafts purposes. (I don't play marbles, so I can't evaluate them for gaming purposes.) I bought them to help track Ability, Ki, and Sorcery points for my players' characters in 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons (we have a Fighter, Monk, Sorcerer who each have point systems). When players spend those kinds of points to perform certain kinds of attacks or spells, they place the requisite number of marbles in a container. After a long rest, I let them replenish their points from that same container. It works better for my group than tracking the points on paper, as someone always seems to misplace their notes and "forget" how many points they have left. With the marbles, there is a nice, clear, visual reminder that one can check at a glance. All I had to do was make small wooden trays that hold the marbles in a row (kind of like the stand that comes with Scrabble to hold your tiles) to represent the total unused Ability/Ki/Sorcery points for each character during gameplay.

If you're looking for multi-colored marbles (not a matching set), this is great choice. Of the 50 I received, I would say there are at least 10 distinct colors and patterns. Although I haven't actually checked it closely, I have noticed that my set has about 5 "matching" marbles of each color/pattern (but probably not more than 5 of any matched type). If you need all the marbles to match or in a specific color/pattern, look elsewhere.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2016 11:25 AM PDT

25 Ultra Pro Platinum Storage Pages: Baseball and other Sports Trading Cards Collecting Pages (PLATINUM SERIES 9-Pocket Pages)
Offered by Express Toyz
Price: $6.45
16 used & new from $3.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable, clear, convenient -- the best choice for organizing sports/playing/RPG cards, February 29, 2016
These 25 Ultra Pro Platinum Storage Pages (Platinum Series - 9 pockets per page) are very well made, durable, see-through pockets for organizing baseball cards, playing cards, or (in my case) D&D/RPG spell cards. The pockets are approximately 2.5" wide x 3.5" tall (the size of a standard playing card or baseball card) and they have a slit at the top of each of the nine pockets so that you can slide in the desired card(s). They seem more durable than other brands I've come across for this kind of product, and I get the sense the welded seams will hold up for a long time as long as you don't handle them roughly when sliding contents in/out. The pockets are spacious enough that you can easily fit TWO cards in each pocket (one facing each side), and if you really wanted to for some reason, you could actually squeeze in three or four cards per pocket since there is a modest amount of stretch to the material. Just realize that overloading the pockets may cause the seams to wear or tear faster. The holes are punched nicely to accommodate any normal-sized 3-ring binder. In fact, the top and bottom holes are elongated (oval) to allow for minor variances in the ring spacing from binder to binder.

In short, if you need a durable, convenient way to organize standard-sized sports cards or playing cards, I highly recommend this product!

Stainless Steel 304 Continuous Hinge with Hole, Bright Annealed Finish, 0.04" Leaf Thickness, 1-1/2" Open Width, 5/64" Pin Diameter, 1/2" Knuckle Length, 4' Long (Pack of 1)
Price: $16.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Great hinges -- strong and well made., February 17, 2016
These Stainless Steel 304 Continuous Hinges were exactly what I needed. They are easy to cut down to the desired length with a hacksaw, and the hinge pin is captive so it will not fall out after the length is cut down. They are also quite strong, with holes for #6 fasteners spaced every 2" apart. I used them to create a large coffee table with a top that folds out to create a kind of lap desk on either side and a recessed, felt-covered space in the middle for playing tabletop rpg games (Dungeons & Dragons, etc.). These were perfect in that application, and sufficiently strong that my almost-2-year-old daughter can stand on one of the folding sides (which are 3 ft. long x 15 in. deep) without a problem.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20