Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Emily > Reviews

Browse

Emily's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Emily RSS Feed (Illinois)

From West to East: California and the Making of the American Mind
From West to East: California and the Making of the American Mind
by Stephen Schwartz
59 used & new from $0.74

2.0 out of 5 stars Failed to prove his point, January 11, 2004
As a native of Massachusetts (and world traveler), I expected to learn the opposite of what New Englanders learn in high school: how California changed us. Schwartz left that point behind after penning his title.
I agree with other reviewers that his grasp of history (pre-WWII) was good - I learned a ton about the early settlement and development, and that has enriched my travels here. I also agree that his rant about communism was too much. But there were other problems - the book turned into a SF-Chronicle vs LA argument, for one. Also, by concentrating so much on CA history, Schwartz forgot to say how it traveled east. And I thought I was going to learn that. He avoids Hollywood cultural history too much (the part that does not pertain to Communism), when that would have been vital in proving his entire point.
I could go on, but will close by saying that the book is worth reading until it gets to the year 1918. Just tear out the rest.