Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more
Profile for Wolvenmoon > Reviews

Browse

Wolvenmoon's Profile

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Wolvenmoon "Wolvenmoon" RSS Feed (Oklahoma, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Foreigner: (10th Anniversary Edition) (Foreigner series)
Foreigner: (10th Anniversary Edition) (Foreigner series)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost!, May 19, 2012
I'd give this 7/10 if I could. Cherryh manages to make a believable almost human race out of the atevi, while avoiding anthropomorphizing them. The atevi aren't human, that is apparent at the beginning of the book and the end.

Having that barrier between the atevi and the lead, Bren, leads to some interesting circumstances. However, ultimately Bren comes across as unbelievable and difficult to relate to, both because he doesn't relate to other humans at all during the course of the book, and because he's a bit bland.

Ultimately the difficulty in connecting with the characters in the book both broke my immersion and made the book interesting, because it was done so well with the atevi, but I didn't feel a connection with Bren. It may just be that I've been immersed in first person high fantasy and the third person limited perspective sci-fi didn't connect with the character in the same way.

Verdict: Read it.

Generic GC2080 HDMI to DVI Adapter with Gold Plated Connector
Generic GC2080 HDMI to DVI Adapter with Gold Plated Connector
Offered by Smart-digital
Price: $2.05
55 used & new from $1.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, but is a bit bigger vertically than I need, December 12, 2011
As a person who still has AT to PS/2 and serial port to PS/2 adapters, I know adapters, and this is most certainly an adapter!

...no, but really, it's an HDMI to DVI adapter. Remember that you cannot attach a DVI to VGA adapter on to it. Otherwise it works fine.

My only issue is it's fairly thick. Rather than being just the minimum thickness that it needs to be (the thickness of the DVI plug + 1MM), the insulation jacket comes around the DVI plug.

This is actually slightly thicker than my DVI cable plug. I noticed this when my laptop (Alienware M11x R3) was being held up off of a surface by this adapter. Be careful with this!

Distant Worlds: Music From Final Fantasy
Distant Worlds: Music From Final Fantasy
Offered by ffdistantworlds
Price: $12.95
41 used & new from $6.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Great music, but the CD might not be worth it, January 25, 2011
I've had this for a few weeks but I've always had to listen to it with my volume down. I have a fairly hefty computer sound setup ( Logitech Z-5500s, Xonar D2X ) and suffice it to say I can very easily tell the difference between MP3s and .Flac's

Realizing I was home alone, I turned on my subwoofer, put my volume to about a third of the way up - just below window rattling - and turned on Memoro de la Stono with anticipatory chill bumps running down my arms.

Now I'm listening to Liberi Fatali.

Unfortunately, there is some evidence of lossy compression in these songs. Especially on the vocals. Maybe it was bad mic quality? Maybe this is just MP3 burnt to CD? Regardless, there is painful evidence of the music on this CD not being recorded to as high of a quality as it could have been.

That's a crying shame, because the music is great. The medium just failed it.

Hold on, I'll check One Winged Angel. Maybe they'll take that more seriously. Nope, ouch, slightly evident 0:35-0:45. One Winged Angel is better, about 50% better, but it's still evident. Likely because of the 'play it louder and it'll sound better-- 2:25 it's there -- phenomenon.

Anyway, the average listener won't be able to hear this on their computer speakers or their iPod. If you've dropped $500 or more into your system you'll likely be disappointed on the songs you want to crank up. If it's a limit of the medium, I think it's pretty darn time 5.1 DVD audio came into prime time, because putting the choruses of One Winged Angel moving around me could really quickly generate an audio illusion of falling forward into the song. THAT would be cool.

Yeah I'm picky, but if I wanted compression issues I'd put it in a youtube playlist instead of paying for it. Granted this is better than Youtube, but only by maybe 50%.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2011 11:21 PM PDT

Wii Controller Replacement Rechargeable Batteries for Wii Remote Control, White - 2 Pack
Offered by WHOLESALE OUTLET
Price: $7.98
4 used & new from $7.98

5.0 out of 5 stars They look like they're working., December 22, 2010
I got these to act as constant power sources for wiimotes used to make head mice.

So far they are not tested under load, but my multimeter happily reported them to be 3.01 volts when plugged in ( gradually increasing, likely due to my multimeter and no load on them, or just a fluke ) and a bumpy drop to 2.8 volts when unplugged.

In other words: Good news, these appear to work without posing a risk to your wiimote.

They also appear to be decent quality.

Cons:
-Made in China

-Packaging does not inspire confidence.

Guild Wars Nightfall (Bonus Pack - Presell)
Guild Wars Nightfall (Bonus Pack - Presell)
11 used & new from $1.51

4.0 out of 5 stars It worked., December 22, 2010
Basically, this gets you a few free items in the game.

It worked, equipped my heroes quite nicely.

This isn't the full game though.

DVI-DVI-CBL25 DVI-D M/M Digital/Digital Dual Link Cable 25 feet, 7.6M
DVI-DVI-CBL25 DVI-D M/M Digital/Digital Dual Link Cable 25 feet, 7.6M
Offered by TheSmartDigital
Price: $22.42
2 used & new from $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, December 22, 2010
It works, nothing's wrong with it. It's a cable.

Note:
Remember that both ends of this are male and it is DVI-D. Go to wikipedia and type in "DVI-D" and do some research. Make sure your usage calls for a male to male cable. This is not an extension cable, but is meant to hook up projectors, or in my case, a monitor on the far side of a monstrous L-desk.

An extension cable would be a male to female cable, which this is not.

Just for good measure, do not buy this if you are looking for an extension cable.

Otherwise, it worked fine last time I used it, which was a few weeks ago. :)

The Rivan Codex: Ancient Texts of THE BELGARIAD and THE MALLOREON (The Belgariad & The Malloreon)
by David Eddings
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
139 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, useful, self-congratulatory, interesting., December 22, 2010
Notice the third item in the title is said between coughs.

Overall:
Interesting to see the background. Seeing his initial story and realizing he started off only a step or two above where I'm at ( the Belgarath story was very cheesy, he also neglects to mention, when he talks about maps, that he did not have a map at that time else he wouldn't have the 'thousand leagues' stuff which he comments on ). In other words, it gave me some perspective.

Pros:

-Will allow you to weigh yourself as a writer against the beginning David & Leigh Eddings
-Gives you some, albeit dated, perspective into the publishing process.
-Gently reminds you that David Eddings was a pervert. ( Note: The 'gently' is a lie. )
-Gives you perspective between Eddings' level of skill starting on the Belgariad and starting on the Mallorean.
-Has good miscellaneous information for budding writers.
-Gives you some information on where Eddings got some of his characters...but not much. *SIGH*

Cons:

-When was this written? Before or after the LotR movies? Eddings' derision of Tolkien, while sort of his right, is sort of uhm...stupid. I doubt anyone is going to make movies out of his books. Tolkien has him soundly beat.

-Lots of ego. Sort of what you'd expect from a multi-millionaire old man who isn't going to lose anything.

-It isn't really interesting if you're looking solely for insight into his world.

-Character creation and personality creation are not covered. Polgara and Belgarath are HUGE personalities and got their own books ( retroactively, I might add, which makes them fairly useless as to seeing what made this happen. "Polgara the Sorceress" is particularly awesome though ), Garion's obvious enough ( blank slate ) but Silk is a character I wanted some "Okay, it was my uncle blargh's tendancy to sneeze every time he lied that gave Silk his nose twitch, but it was my observation of a guy selling a vacuum cleaner to my grandma that gave me his other traits. That guy grew to be a family friend and I got to know him well" from him.

-Map creation/ideas are not covered thoroughly.

Final judgment:

It needs about 250 pages written specifically about characters in his world and their peculiarities. Geography is easy enough to figure out, but knowing what to look for in others to make characters, how to synthesize human traits into new, believable characters, that's a skill that's missing from this.

You'll, because of his lack of talking about how he planned his nations ( barring "North: Vikings, South: Romans, Further south: Reptile people, et cetera ), miss out on his geographical decisions. However one can see some symbolism ( intentional or not ) in his placement of his nations.

All in all, this book is a book about how he wrote the books. It's useful information and a great gauge for beginning writers to compare themselves to. Being able to say "Hey, he sucked as bad as I do, there's still hope!" should be inspirational to someone. Of course, a reader who says this could suffer from the same self-congratulatory, egotistical syndrome he had when he wrote this.

Recommendation:

Read the Belgariad and Mallorean in that order. Then read this, then read Polgara the Sorceress and Belgarath the Sorcerer in that order ( the contrast in skill is useful, as is the slow realization that his wife was mostly responsible for Polgara the Sorceress ), then read the Belgariad and Mallorean again. Coming in with all of that new information, you'll get the most you can out of it.

Also, aspiring writers, remember to read recently published books. Preferably out of your own genre ( to prevent contamination, or so they say, I ignore this and read whatever I want ). I came into reading this all with my own ideas already formed, realized I was on a good track, and kept on trucking.

( Sans one star due to ego )
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2013 10:24 PM PST

Sid Meier's Civilization V - PC
Sid Meier's Civilization V - PC
Offered by Tons of Fun Toys
Price: $12.60
83 used & new from $2.03

1.0 out of 5 stars Worth twenty bucks., December 21, 2010
Ahh, I have fond memories of civilization IV gold, I unboxed it, put it in my CD rom drive, installed it, and was promptly told I couldn't play it because I use Alcohol 120% to manage about 400 legally owned CD [...] We'll come back to this at the VERY end.

After playing Civ V in offline mode I can say that it is not worth [...]. Once you get to $[...], you're hitting the mark. I mean $[...] for a platinum plus "All civilization V addons and DLC" version.

What is there good to say about it? Well, there are a lot of units you'll recognize and the gameplay mechanics are mostly familiar, albeit grossly simplified.

Now on to the rest.

The AI in singleplayer is disappointingly dimwitted. There is no diplomacy. Having 6 civilizations ( all of them in that game ) declare war then declare peace at the same time without being allied and without talking to me first was enough to make me slightly green.

The AI in multiplayer was ridiculous. I paid off two militaristic city states and sailed the spawned units overseas to camp on the AI's border. After about 12 units got there and the AI didn't communicate with me, my friend got bored and finally declared war on them. I had all of their cities in three turns. This was at a moderate difficulty level.

The quotation reader is, unfortunately, sort of boring. The quotes are too long ( they're 'good quotes' but you kind of want them out of your face after two seconds because they're boring. ) and the reader is slow.

People talk about the fancy ritzy new AI screens and how they're all voice acted in their native languages. That would be an AWESOME finishing touch if there were better AI, more civilizations, more ways to play outside of gold wh---hording and buying everything, better diplomacy, an option to automatically set workers to automated ( hey, you can ALWAYS buy one if a city starts starving, which coincidentally the AI workers are too dumb to prevent from happening or respond to. ).

Speaking of which, they actually can't connect trade routes reliably. I tell them to build a road somewhere, they can't do it...anyway, where was I?

Oh, right, the mugging I just endured from this company.

Anyway, as if this weren't bad enough, the entire game was buggier than a lice ridden monkey at launch. Though it was talented with memory dumps. The game crashed more than a drunk with epilepsy in a bumper car. Do you realize how much talent it takes to make software that buggy and get it to sell?

Anyway, the gameplay was hideous for the Civilization series. I'd expect this level of AI in a Risk board game knockoff, not the premiere turn based strategy game. They need to hire some AI specialists and let THEM do the coding.

To add insult to financial injury, this game is on steam, requires steam, needs steam, wants steam, will not leave steam, but will work in offline mode in LAN play allowing you to spread your steam account around and play offline. So Steam doesn't do anything but keep you from reselling the game. It's less effective than a simple CD-key check when the game connected for multiplayer would be.

Don't buy it.

( P.S., I never got that copy of IV to work. Customer support was nasty to me about it. )

To Green Angel Tower: Book Three of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn
To Green Angel Tower: Book Three of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn
by Tad Williams
Price: $17.78
108 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Lengthy conclusion to an awesome tale, August 5, 2010
I'm still not through it. I bought the entire trilogy in June, spent 2 weeks reading for 4 hours a day back then, it's August 4th and I've not been able to finish it, I eventually got burnt out on the sheer volume of it.

It is an awesome story though, and you'll find yourself immersed in it for quite some time.

This is really another 2 3/4ths a book.

Oh? On the content?

He drags on and introduces too many new places/people too quickly. I'm 100 pages from the end and wondering how he's going to wrap it all up gracefully, am not sure he can. He has too many subplots open.

Honeywell True HEPA Air Purifier
Honeywell True HEPA Air Purifier
Price: $142.59
86 used & new from $89.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Overkill for anything less than a master bedroom, June 21, 2010
Pros:
Does filter out odors fairly well.

Dusting has gone from a daily chore to a weekly 'on the way by' type thing

My allergies are almost completely gone when I wake up...HOWEVER...it cannot filter out allergens in beddings/curtains/etc, so make certain you give it a fair shot.

Cons:
Even on its lowest setting you'll want it around a corner if possible. When you have direct line of hearing it's about floor-fan loud. When it's around a corner on lowest it sounds sort of like flowing water. Either way I've slept with it in both configurations.

Note: I have this filter set on a dresser at about where my head rests when I sleep, not on the floor. It IS on a hard surface. On a soft surface it might make less noise.

I plan to order another one for my other room. Everyone else in the house is jealous. This thing DOES replace daily dusting as a chore when you have people do things like..oh...stick a leafblower into the clothes drier's exhaust and blow years of lint and mold into the house because that's how he needed to clean it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3