Profile for December Girl > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 31

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

December Girl "*DecemberGirl*" RSS Feed (Dayton, Ohio United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Teenage Idol, Travelin' Man: The Complete Biography of Rick Nelson
Teenage Idol, Travelin' Man: The Complete Biography of Rick Nelson
by Philip Bashe
36 used & new from $4.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for music fans or pop culture fans., November 17, 2013
It's very nice to get an "objective" viewpoint. Rick Nelson was the teenage idol of many, but this book is one of the only ones I've seen that treats him just as he saw himself: a man. Here in this book is a tribute to this man, who was in many ways, a musical genius and had one of the most beautiful voices ever. Mr. Bashe starts from the history we most know of Ricky Nelson, from his early days and Ozzie & Harriet, to his tribulations in his mid-life and marriage, to his untimely end. I would have loved to have a "where are they now" section in this book - many lives were changed by Mr. Nelson and it would be great to have a tribute to him in that respect. However, I have always gotten the idea that Rick Nelson was a fair man, and would have seen this telling of his tale as fair and objective. This book does a great job of filling in the spaces. Highly recommend.

Samsung LN46B550 46-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV with Red Touch of Color (2009 Model)
Samsung LN46B550 46-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV with Red Touch of Color (2009 Model)
2 used & new from $540.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Internet tv but no adaptor included?? Boo, hiss, Samsung!!!, February 26, 2012
I bought this tv yesterday, and it is pretty user friendly. Volume is excellent for a flat panel. That has long been my complaint about flat panels is the lack of volume. The picture options are good - you get the dynamic, natural and a couple others. I enjoy everything so far about the set except:

Samsung, you made an Internet ready tv and have marketed this set as such - yet no freaking adaptor included??? So a 50 cent part will most likely cost me a small fortune. This tv is pushed as an Internet tv. Shame on you, Samsung for not including the tool necessary to make it work "out of the box". Boo, hiss.

This tv gets good reviews for looking sleek and a very nice presentation. Its stand must be screwed in and that was a bit of a chore and left me thinking there MUST be a better way in the modern world to attach a stand to a tv. However, note that once attached, the stand swivels. Very nice.

Would I recommend one? Yes. Just make sure of your price point you want to stay at. This was a bit more than mine, but I liked the picture on the set at the store, versus a Vizio, with which I have had experience before.

UPDATE 6/12: The adaptor for the internet cost $90 at Best Buy. However, worth it. After time with this TV, I have to tell you HOW MUCH I LOVE IT. Highly recommend!!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2012 4:50 PM PST

Lightning Strikes Twice
Lightning Strikes Twice
Price: $7.99
38 used & new from $2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars As always, a MUST HAVE, March 5, 2011
This review is from: Lightning Strikes Twice (Audio CD)
If you're an 80s/90s lover, or grew up then like I did, I'll bet you can still remember the first time you heard that perky opening guitar riff to Love and Affection. I know I can!

The definitive Nelson sound is BACK and better! It's really great to hear how Matthew & Gunnar have progressed as writers, musicians and artists. There's a good variety of material on this CD - kind of a "something for everyone" - and it shows what a great place they are at in their lives. It really comes across as a celebration of all things late 80s/early 90s. This CD is meant to be a seamless continuation of After the Rain, and it accomplishes this with very high marks.

I've been a fan since their debut, and there are indeed some new fans out there. To them, and to those who don't know, I would highly advise buying this CD. The songs are catchy, yet venture into some new territory. It's enough on the edge to keep it current, but enough "back in the day" to make you smile.

I've met the guys a few times, and I will say, as a musician, I love their material, and especially their attention to detail. That's what's always made all the difference to me personally. If someone does not care enough to build their project solidly, why should the average person take time to listen? These guys have it down. I don't think you will find one act as solid as Nelson. They are wonderfully produced, sure but still, overly-talented individuals. These guys are a definite "10" in my book. If they had no studio effects or any enhancements of any sort, I'd still pay money to hear them play. Their musical abilities would parallel if not beat any highly paid session player anywhere. Their vocals are unmatched by anyone, except the other one of them. (LOL) Not to mention the fact they are absolutely the nicest guys in the world. Very down to earth people, respectful of their heritage, and a great tribute to it.

The same energy you hear on their CDs is that and more at any live show. These guys are NOT one of those bands that you love the CD and then you get to the show and the band cannot pull it off because they're so auto-tuned and overproduced, they cannot duplicate all the studio effects, or harmonies. Nelson was never that way. They just get better and better. They are a true musical inspiration.

Do yourself a favor - take a trip back to "the day" with the rest of us. If you missed it the first time around, it's never too late. Bob Seger said it best "You can come back, baby, 'cause Rock and Roll never forgets!"

MSI A6200-021US Notebook PC - Intel Core i5-430M 2.26 GHz / 15.6" LCD / 4GB DDR3 Memory / 320GB HD / 802.11b/g/draft n WLAN / DVD Super Multi Drive / HDMI Port / Built-in Webcam / Windows 7 Home Premium

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty great! -see edited comment for update, February 20, 2011
I have no real complaints with this laptop, except one: speaker volume. I will say, though, that I love the speakers are surround sound - and I mean REAL surround sound. However, unless you're in a really quiet room all the time, you're going to need earphones. Meaning, if you watch a lot of YouTube, and there's something - ANYTHING - going on in the same room, you're going to need earphones.

Other than that, I consider that I overbought on this laptop. I chose this laptop due to needing the extra numeric pad, and for the feel of its mousepad buttons, and for the PRICE, which was MORE THAN REASONABLE, at $520 at Office Depot. I paid an extra $30 for restore disks from Office Depot. So I was $550 out the door. For a 15.5" screen and all of its many features, it's definitely worth the price. I would compare this to a Sony VAIO I saw at WalMart for $600. Pardon - I don't know its model number, but it was strikingly the same in features.

Historically, I have been an HP girl, but since the troubles with my last HP (which I dearly loved), I ended up going MSI for the reasons listed above. I was on my way to buy an HP at WalMart when I found this one at Office Depot. For the price, I could not pass it up. I needed a laptop for college, and a desktop for home. I happened to buy this one first as they were out of the desktop I wanted.

Nice laptop but obviously if you are looking at portability you want something smaller. I needed the numeric pad, so it works for me, but I really do miss the portability.

Would recommend. Quality, and attention to details. MSI is a winner.

UPDATE: After less than 1 year, the DC jack on back will not let the battery charge. I am JUST OUTSIDE of my warranty. I have a nice paperweight until I can afford to fix it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2012 12:27 AM PST

VIZIO VSB200 Universal HD Sound Bar (Discontinued)
VIZIO VSB200 Universal HD Sound Bar (Discontinued)
Offered by AceElectronix
Price: $88.90
6 used & new from $44.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Sucked so much, even Hoover would have been impressed, July 15, 2010
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I had to write this, as I have this thing in my home at this moment. It will be packed up as soon as I am done writing this and shipped back to its point of origin. I hate it. It's that plain and simple. Why? Let me count the ways...

First off, let me preface by saying, I am the owner of a Vizio 42" Plasma, so this rant is nothing against the manufacturer brand. I was wanting something to "clarify" the sound (flat panels were not known for their sound capabilities when I bought mine) of my tv. If you buy many dvds from Wally World, you might note, as did I, the reason they give you such a good price is because most of the dvds are dup'd in Mexico, and the sound volume is very substandard. It's not uncommon for us to crank the tv to 90 to hear the average discount Wally World dvd. This is what lead me to seek out the soundbar, or surround sound system.

I like the idea of the soundbar. Very sleek - and this one looked great on the box. It was the same brand as my tv, so I figured there would be no compatibility issues. There wasn't, once the thing kicked in finally. Took it about 3 minutes of nothing indicated on its panel (which would not light for 3 mins, so I never knew if it was indeed ON!)

Once I got everything hooked up (I have a PS3 and XBOX 360)- and in all fairness, the hooking up was not hard - it was (as mentioned prior) the waiting and wondering if it was even going to work! It came to the point that I had to unhook and rehook it up 2x to make sure I was doing it right, because there was no sign of life from it for roughly 3 minutes and then it decided to kick in.

When it DID kick in, there was (as anticipated) a volume boost. Great. That's a gold star for it. HOWEVER, (and please make sure you pay attention here) MY FLAT PANEL SOUND WAS BETTER THAN THIS SOUNDBAR. All I got was treble - no low mids or bass from this. It does have an out for the "optional" subwoofer, which it tells you right on the box about this. It does NOT say it's mandatory if you really want some kicking sound though. I did not buy this soundbar to rock the apartment complex here - I do not listen that loudly to tv but I do want the quality of sound to be better and more defined. THIS LITTLE SOUNDBAR IS NOT CAPABLE OF THAT. If you want more volume on a budget, great - then it's for you. If you want QUALITY sound (at least to the degree of dollars spent)- do yourself a favor and skip it. Don't waste your time and gas money like I did.

You might say to yourself "well, you were just wanting more than what you paid for!" and you might be right, but one might actually get a better surround system at Big Lots (I kid you not) and I don't care what anyone says, if I pay $98 I expect at LEAST that in value for my money. NOT EVEN CLOSE HERE. I do believe the nicest thing about this thing was the box it came in (very pretty!) lol

It is NOT (in my opinion) user friendly - whomever designed this thing must have been a complete moron or had no idea of user habits regarding such items. They give you a TINY remote w/ it, which is great, but the remote is very unresponsive and you gotta sit and push the buttons down for nearly 5 seconds before they do anything. It was not a battery issue - checked that. Battery given was new and in operable order. If you like a lot of waiting and guessing then this soundbar is for you. If you wanna piss someone off that you hate, buy them one of these things. LOL To say this whole evening has been a frustrating waste of time might be a rosy statement.

I hate this thing with all the power of the Dark Side. I do not, will not, could not ever recommend this soundbar to anyone I care for. I just wanted you to know this if you're researching this little unit.

After I unhooked it finally, I had LOTS more appreciation for my tv's regular sound. It sounded BETTER. Let me rephrase - This unit, the Vizio whatever 200 - actually made my tv sound WORSE. Let me repeat: made my tv sound WORSE.

Quality - give it a 5 outta 10 - you're going to leave lots of fingerprints on this thing very easily. :/
Sound - Don't make me laugh - 1 outta 10. Sucked something horrible (are you getting that I hated it?)
customer service - I have no idea. I don't care to know.
Price value - Holy crap. No way...

Today's lesson: You get what you pay for. I screwed up by trying to be cheap when I wanted quality. Please don't do the same!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2011 10:46 AM PDT

Ematic 4GB Video MP3 Player with 2.4-Inch QVGA Screen, Digital Camera and Video Recorder (Green)
Offered by Best Shop
2 used & new from $50.00

4.0 out of 5 stars wow! $50 well spent!, September 18, 2009
I was searching for a replacement MP3 player and happened somehow upon this little beauty in my search. I was a bit skeptical - I mean really - you get an MP3 player, video camera, still photo camera (5mp), voice recorder, photo player, video player - for $50? no way! So I ordered it, figuring if only the MP3 player worked, for 4G space (plus it has a TF flash card reader, so it's expandable) I'd get my money's worth. The Apple Shuffle (IPOD) is the same price, and you don't get anything else besides the MP3 player!

I cannot comment on : video recorder, voice recorder - I have not used those yet.

I CAN comment on :
the MP3 player - sound is EXCELLENT - better than my previous MP3 player.

camera - 5 MP camera - I thought it would be hoaky but it's marvelous! This right here, is your everyday take along point and shoot camera.

video player - ok. had some issues here. the unit comes with a mini-rom for its software. you need this software to convert your videos for playback on the unit. yet, when i tried to install, i kept getting the message the files were "corrupted". i have yet to call customer service on this one as i have not had time. i have heard also bad things about "customer NO service" regarding this company. i will be honest and say the video feature is the one i was MOST excited about and now i can't enjoy it yet. it's rather anti-climatic, i guess, but in all fairness i haven't given the company a chance to prove itself.

photo viewer - FANTASTIC! only advice would be watch out for the larger sized photos you wish to store on here, as little viewer seems to have troubles with large size photos.

by and large, it is very easy to maneuver - very easy to add files, or to delete files off the unit. it comes w/ USB cable for charging, and earbuds and the mini-ROM with the firmware, and instruction booklet.

oh yes, and i love the color! ;)

my son has been after me to get him a new MP3 player and i can definitely say, this is a teen's dream come true - if you're looking for a nice christmas gift, b-day gift, etc. - this is a solid bet!

screen measures roughly 2x3" - whole unit is 2.5 x 4" approx. also comes with nice protective casing (rubber) for the unit.

NOTE: camera does NOT have flash, however, i've tried it in the office under fluorescent lights and there is no flash needed in that instance. i've used it on way home, while driving to catch local scenery. i am quite pleased with its photo quality. SO, if you're like me and have the cool Canon/Nikon bigger camera at home, yet you really just wnt to point and shoot without the weighty camera, take this little baby. She does the job - and quite nicely. i would not recommend this for night use, obviously, or somewhere where lighting is crucial.

buy it - one for you - one for your teen! you do get what you pay for, but in this instance, i got more, so i am quite pleased.

Soul Bubbles - Nintendo DS
Soul Bubbles - Nintendo DS
Offered by NYC Electronics
Price: $12.99
58 used & new from $2.31

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, September 18, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I am an adult, albeit an adult who loves video games and such. My issue has been that I require "no brainer" type games - so you could say I would be labeled a "casual gamer." I saw this game advertised on one of the usual game sites and thought I would be really interested in it, so I ordered it on a 'well known auction site'. I began to have second thoughts but then it came in my mailbox.

OH WOW - I simply ADORE this game!! From the beautiful artwork to the soundtrack, it's so great! There's enough of a challenge to keep you easily hooked for - dare I say - hours. Great thing about this game is that it's also a bit of a stress-reliever and welcome deviation from my job. I take my DS to work with me so I have something to do at lunch. This game has been a lifesaver for me. The game just sucks you in - I can't help but get caught up in it. It's very relaxing while at the same time, giving just enough of a challenge.

Kids or people needing a high challenge in their games might not appreciate this game, but for me, I love it - it's just the right speed, so to speak. I truly am enjoying this game - and I can tell it will be one I will not be trading or selling, where I have done so with other games I have bought. It will never be the same game twice. How many DS games can you say that about, that are of such a high caliber and artistic quality? This game's creators have done a FANTASTIC job! BRAVO!

Do yourself a favor and find and play this game! :)

Polaroid CZA-20011B PoGo Instant Mobile Printer (Black)
Polaroid CZA-20011B PoGo Instant Mobile Printer (Black)
13 used & new from $129.99

3.0 out of 5 stars No computer photo printing! Otherwise, LOVED IT!, September 13, 2009
A very important note if you're considering this little baby- you cannot print photos directly from your computer. I was really disappointed when I finally got down to the nitty gritty on this little printer, because I was SO excited about having it. I grew up in the "glory days" of the Polaroid camera - and spent many a fun day with one! The photo film for this printer is 2x3, I believe - and it's so very cool! Film also has ability to be a sticker (due to backing).

I actually bought this printer 2x now, and took it back first time because my camera at the time did not support Pictabridge (your camera HAS TO, to use pogo printer.) I updated my camera (Canon SX10 IS) and now I tried it again, but took it back due to financial oversight on my part. I wanted so much to have kept it, as it is a cool little printer, and the photos are decent quality (again, keep in mind, I grew up in the glory days of Polaroid.) Is the quality professional ? Not by any means. Is it great for everyday? YES! Crisp, clean quality of photos.

BEST PART:: NO INK involved - this means you don't have to buy ink cartridges!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That, alone, in my book is a BIG PLUS.

I am only counting this printer off due to the fact you cannot print out photos from your computer. So - if you like to tweak your photos with your photo programs, and if you like to get artistic with your photos, forget it with this printer, unless you have those capabilities on your digital camera. You hook this printer up to your camera (or you can do bluetooth.) That means, you get what you see - pre-tweak of photos.

Other than that, I have no complaints particularly on this printer - and I am currently bidding on my 3rd one on ebay!! It's also great for kids, due to the sticker quality film. They love to trade stickers/pics!! It's great also for SCRAPBOOKS!!!!

UPDATE: I have sold this device and bought an "all in one" version of this printer with camera. It's a novelty item - pic quality isn't that great, but it's really cool to print out your pics right from the camera. :)

The older I get, the more I want a tangible scrapbook of pics in my hands. This little printer is great for such an undertaking! I would recommend it to anyone - but it should not be your sole printer, due to film size - you'll want larger photo sizes. ;)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2009 8:24 AM PDT

Twin Falls Idaho
Twin Falls Idaho
DVD ~ Michael Polish
3 used & new from $9.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Most touching film I've seen in years, August 31, 2007
This review is from: Twin Falls Idaho (DVD)
Michael and Mark Polish play conjoined twins Blake and Francis Falls, who start this movie in a run down hotel room in a big city. They'd come to find their mother who had offered them for adoption at birth upon learning of their deformity.

In the opening scenes, we meet Penny, a prostitute who has been called by the brothers. This is one thing I never understood about this movie - it is rated "R" yet there are no sex scenes in it, however this movie isn't one for the "PG" crowd either because it does take maturity and understanding.

As the movie proceeds, the bonds between Penny and the brothers grow.

I can't say enough about how touching and sweet this movie is. This is not my usual sort of interest when it comes to films but it is brilliantly executed and wonderfully acted by all involved.

If you've ever experienced not exactly fitting in, you'll like this movie. It's one of my favorites, definitely. If you have not seen this movie, you are really missing out on one of the finest American films.

How to Make an American Quilt
How to Make an American Quilt
DVD ~ Winona Ryder
Price: $10.19
49 used & new from $4.80

5.0 out of 5 stars loved this movie, August 30, 2007
This is definitely a chick-flick. A hormonally-induced celebration unlike any other. Very sweet and poignant. Ms. Ryder is perfectly cast and the rest of the cast is brilliant. A MUST SEE. Highly recommend it if you have not seen it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4