Profile for Ian > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ian RSS Feed

Stuhrling Original Men's 179A.331613 Leisure Raven Diablo Automatic Skeleton Black Rubber Strap Watch
Offered by Stuhrling Original
Price: $147.00
2 used & new from $147.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for viewing, terrible for basic function., May 14, 2012
I receive compliments about this watch on a daily basis, solely due to the fact that this watch is absolutely stunning in pictures and in person.

I work in a grocery store in the seattle area. Constantly I am reminded of the shoddy quality of this watch. Not because of the compliments, but the reminders that ensure that I do not forget that every time someone compliments this watch I am forced to share my experience regarding the stuhrling brand. I hear from many of my "well to do" customers (typically watch fiends and lovers of infinitesimally small mechanical movements in general) that my watch is "really cool".

This is a good reminder of why a terrible quality watch is allowed to exist in this world. Why the Invicta brand constantly invigorates the styling of watches and still produces a watch which must be sent to service on a regular basis.

Everyday I am forced to tell my customers as well as coworkers that it is not a worthwhile investment as far as time, much less money. I spent a few hundred dollars on the watch and in a short period of 9 months have spent a considerable volume of time and a large percentage of the watch initial cost to ship it back and forth to service. To shorten: "This purchase is not worth your time and effort."

A regular customer from many years who is seeking to rebuild two of my 1800s elgin watch collection pieces shares this viewpoint. "A watch is only great if consistency is a tenant of the watch." This watch advances seemingly at random five minutes to every second day. I maintain my automatic watches with precision using my automatic watch winder. If for some reason I do not maintain the automatics using the watch winder during a night, I am wearing the watch.

Unfortunately I have the privilege of owning another stuhrling watch which shares exactly the same movement. It shares the same troubles as the raven diablo. You might say I am a glutton for punishment ("Fool me twice shame on me") but this watch also had to be sent in for service, model name stuhrling aviator. Unfortunately for me also the same movement which I have just ordered from a cheap automatic watch movement maker. Exactly the same to the hundredth of the millimeter as a chinese made movement I shipped to my house for $30. Same details with scrolling on the back face of the counterweight.

The bad:
The watch face will scratch constantly due to it's 'krysterna' branded construction. It does not care if your main function in life is manufacturing toothpaste or testing 500 count eqyptian cotton on swedish king mattresses. It will scratch when faced with anything else that you face in day-to-day life.

All the time my citizen eco drive keeps on ticking. My tag keeps on going, Hell, even my skagen and relic after ten years of ticking along on quartz crystals (given more than a few batteries) keep going. Combine the minimal cost of the skagen, tag, and eco-drive citizen and you find nearly 20 years of combined time keeping excellency. Unfortunately stuhrling has yet to show any function in time keeping, which in my opinion is the main function of having a complicated and often expensive mechanical contraption always connected to your wrist.

I have recently decided to stop wearing both of my stuhrling timepieces in order to avoid embarrassment and added complication of having inaccurate timepieces attached to me at all times.