Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Code Monkey > Reviews

Browse

Code Monkey's Profile

Customer Reviews: 56

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Code Monkey RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Lasko #4930 35" Remote Control Oscillating High Velocity Fan, Gray
Lasko #4930 35" Remote Control Oscillating High Velocity Fan, Gray
Price: $79.35
116 used & new from $63.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Blows a lot of air, but noise is the trade-off, June 26, 2016
I purchased this fan last week to move air around a large living area with various hotspots. I have the Stanley blower fan, two actually, in my garage and they work great, so I thought I'd try a blower fan for the inside of the house. That's all this thing is, a blower fan in a tower design.

Blower fans move lots of air typically. This one is no exception, although it doesn't move as much air as the much smaller Stanley. But that is due to the design of the Lasko and the attempt to make it somewhat attractive looking and not like a piece of construction equipment, like the Stanley. There are trade offs.

It does move a lot of air, but for an inside fan it is loud. The #1 setting is tolerable, the #2 and #3 settings are very loud. I've seen quite a few questions asking how loud it is. I did rough measurements using a sound level meter and measured from 12 feet from the fan. #1 setting = 50 dB, #2 setting = 55 dB, and #3 setting = 60 dB. An increment of +/-10 dB is a doubling/halving of sound level. These are just rough measurements, as the room the fan is placed in will have an impact, like carpet versus hardwoods or tile, draperies, etc. Softer things absorb sound, harder things reflect it. The only soft things in my room are the couch and an area rug.

Some sound level comparisons:
Whisper quiet library = 30 dB
Normal conversation at 3 feet = 60-65 dB
Normal piano practice = 60-70 dB
City traffic = 85 dB

Another comparison is I have an old tower fan that I moved into my office. At about 6 feet and on the highest setting it's reading around 50 dB, but it's blowing probably a quarter of the amount of air the Lasko does on the #1 setting.

So the noise really comes down to the volume of air being blown. The motor itself makes very little noise. I also noticed that the moveable air guide (vertical only) has a small impact on noise level. Blowing the air up results in less noise than trying to blow it straight. This is due to the fact that the blower is blowing the air up the inside of the tower, so there is less resistance when you let the air follow along its more natural path.

I'm knocking off a star only because of the noise. If you really want to move some air in a decently attractive design, this is a good option. Just be aware this moves a lot more air than your typical tower fan and as a result you're going to get more noise.

Panasonic NN-SD681S Stainless 1200W 1.2 Cu. Ft. Countertop/Built-in Microwave with Inverter Technology
Price: $152.99
47 used & new from $109.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Disposable Microwave, May 20, 2016
Fried itself after about 18 months. Flamed up inside after about 30 seconds on its last cook. Going in the trash. It worked well while it worked, although a bit noisier than most microwaves. But longevity is questionable, particularly at this price point. It's sad that a $175 appliance is now considered disposable.

Fender Straplock W/ Button
Fender Straplock W/ Button
Price: $10.75
19 used & new from $10.75

3.0 out of 5 stars May need to file down the button, May 20, 2016
Not bad, but you may need to file down the button to get it to fit into the slot on the lock. Neither of my locks would slide over the button without beating them with a hammer. And yes I had the plunger pulled out. So I had to file down the button so it would fit. Works as it should now.

DiRT Rally - Xbox One
DiRT Rally - Xbox One
31 used & new from $30.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A Racing Fan Must Have Title, April 6, 2016
This review is from: DiRT Rally - Xbox One (Video Game)
I haven't played a rally game since Colin McRae (or whatever the name was). I have to say this iteration is so much more advanced it's frustrating and exciting at the same time. It's so challenging that I broken down and purchased a wheel. You can't play this thing well with a standard controller. It's far too involved and engaging. You need the feedback from the wheel to understand what's going on with the car.

Graphics and sound are very well done, particularly in cockpit view, which is the only mode I play in. Turn off all the assists and you will have your hands full like you wouldn't believe. I've obviously never driven a real rally car, but the physics do seem incredibly believable. The feel of the road, whatever the surface, the jumps, flicks, you name it, everything seems quite realistic. The co-pilot is also nicely done, with a good voice and delivery.

I don't care about online play. For me this is the kind of game where I compete against myself, trying to better my times through improved driving and car setup. I don't care what other folks are doing. I'll never be a "pro" player because I don't have that kind of time to commit. Besides, for the most part rally is all about times. You're not flailing around a track wheel to wheel.

If you're a fan of rally racing and racing in general, this is a must have title. If they never released another version of this game I think I would be satisfied. It's that good. And because there's always room to improve your driving, the replay value is pretty much endless.

Microsoft Q2F-00013 USB 2.0 LifeCam Webcam
Microsoft Q2F-00013 USB 2.0 LifeCam Webcam
Offered by Signature Networks
Price: $53.78
146 used & new from $27.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Compatible with Skype on Windows 10, February 7, 2016
Not compatible with Skype on Windows 10. It worked fine prior to Windows 10. Oddly it works fine with the camera app, but doesn't work at all with Skype.

Eureka EasyClean Corded Hand-Held Vacuum, 71B
Eureka EasyClean Corded Hand-Held Vacuum, 71B
196 used & new from $23.54

1.0 out of 5 stars Great as long as it doesn't break, December 16, 2015
It was great while it worked, but the brush no longer rotates so it's not particularly useful any longer. I'd say it's good if you get one that lasts, but don't be surprised if it stops working for no apparent reason.

Microsoft Lumia 950 XL Screen Protector, iCarez [Tempered Glass] Highest Quality Premium Easy Install With Lifetime Replacement Warranty - Retail Packaging 2015
Offered by iCarez
2 used & new from $7.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Factory Finger Print, December 7, 2015
It might have worked ok if it weren't for the finger print on the adhesive side that came from the factory, and the fact the corners had no interest in staying adhered. Just pulled it off and trashed it.

Pro Windows 8.1 Development with XAML and C#
Pro Windows 8.1 Development with XAML and C#
Price: $35.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Content Ruined by Lack of Editing, April 18, 2015
This review is for the Kindle version of the book.

The overall content of the book is pretty good, which is why I'm giving it 3 stars, but I think next time they need to hire an editor. I've never seen so many errors in a professionally published book. Misspellings, double words, mixed words...and I'm only a few pages into it reading it on my phone, meaning from what I've read so far just about every paragraph has had some type of error in it. This book reads more like a draft version that no one bothered to edit before going final. Maybe the print version is better, but I can't recommend the Kindle version.

Microsoft Visual C# 2013 Step by Step (Step by Step Developer)
Microsoft Visual C# 2013 Step by Step (Step by Step Developer)
by John Sharp
Price: $32.75
49 used & new from $11.83

5.0 out of 5 stars This is how a programming book should be done!, April 12, 2015
As a non-programmer trying to learn to be a programmer, I've read a lot of books on programming, most of which are quite lacking. My biggest gripe about programming books is that they might teach you certain concepts, but not necessarily how to use them or why they are important. This book does a good job of doing that. There is lots of handholding.

Throughout the book, on pretty much every topic, you'll find things like "So you've learned about this, now we're going to work through an example of how you use it. And I'm going to point out why you do it this way and not that way. And things to be careful about." The "Notes" in each section are almost worth the price of the book.

If you're an experienced programmer, you probably don't want the handholding, but for the inexperienced, or even somewhat experienced, the repetition is a much needed component of the learning process.

I highly recommend this book and wish all other programming books were similarly written.

CDI 1503MFRPH 1/2-Inch Drive Adjustable Micrometer Torque Wrench, Torque Range 20 to 150-Foot
Offered by Abolox LLC
Price: $139.99
5 used & new from $110.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Wrench at a Premium Price, January 26, 2015
Well, it's a torque wrench. Nice click when you've reached your torque. Handle feels nice, although it's a bit small. It's very easy to grab onto the locking ring. You have to deliberately place your hand on the handle to miss the locking ring. I have medium sized hands, so I'm not sure how anyone with large hands can use this thing. The locking ring has a very wimpy spring, so it's very easy to inadvertently unlock it with your thumb or something and move off your torque setting. When just moving around I found that I kept pulling the ring back and never knowing if the torque setting had stayed put. I don't have confidence that the lock ring will last long. Finally, when locked there's some play in the handle. Overall, for the money, I'd say this is an average wrench. It feels solid, but the locking ring and handle leaves a lot to be desired.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6