Profile for Paul McCord > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paul McCord RSS Feed (Macon, GA, USA)

Nintendo DS Lite Starter Kit Blue
Nintendo DS Lite Starter Kit Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent set of DS accessories!, November 2, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The case provides a snug and soft on the inside for the DS Lite. It isn't waterproof at all, but I keep it inside a larger case anyway where I store the rest of the accessories included in this package. Speaking of those accessories...

The game card cases are my favorite part of the package. Each holds two DS games or 1 GBA game, and they're small enough to be very convenient for traveling. The only bad thing is that they aren't sold separately, and I want more of them!

The car adapter is perfect, although I rarely use it, since I am usually the driver on long trips, and the battery lasts several hours anyway.

The earphones are actually better than I expected they would be. Nothing spectacular, but they hold up well to being tossed around on road trips.

The package doesn't include anything to store the car adapter and earphones, so you'll need to find a way to store those, but otherwise this kit is great for anyone with a DS Lite.

The Lightness of Being: Mass, Ether, and the Unification of Forces
The Lightness of Being: Mass, Ether, and the Unification of Forces
by Frank Wilczek
93 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for physics buffs, August 23, 2008
Anyone with more than just a passive interest in physics and the nature of the universe will enjoy this book. The title caught my attention, and the first chapter drew me in. Before I realized an afternoon had passed, I had finished the book in a single sitting and found myself eagerly flipping back to previous chapters!

Frank Wilczek may be a Nobel Prize winner (2004), but you don't have to be a physicist to read his book. He writes clearly (and occasionally humorously), with only minimal use of numbers and equations, allowing the text to have a smooth flow so the reader can absorb the complexity of it all. (He even provides a glossary for clearer understanding of the topics discussed.)

Almost from the first page, this is fascinating read, offering insights that literally contradict past theories that were once thought to be irrefutable. For example, perfectly "empty" space is unstable and can actually spawn tiny particles, so we really can get something from nothing!

And then there's what Wilczek calls the Grid, a sort of upgrade over the old ether idea, although it's really something entirely different. The Grid offers an explanation for, among many other things, the spontaneous activity in what appears to be empty space.

The Lightness of Being is about more than just particle physics. It's about connecting theories old and new, from particle physics to cosmology, to bring us many steps closer not only to understanding how the forces of nature work together to form a life-sustaining universe, but also to understanding what "nature" really is.

Infinity in Your Pocket ; Over 3,000 Theorums,facts, and Formulae
Infinity in Your Pocket ; Over 3,000 Theorums,facts, and Formulae
by Mike Flynn
20 used & new from $0.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy book of Facts and Formulas, December 7, 2006
This book is crammed full of useful bits of knowledge from the beginning of human history up to present times, including a concise history of mathematics and a comprehensible look at various facts, figures, and formulas about the natural world and the rest of the universe. Mathematics, physics, chemistry, technology, astronomy, and much more! All somehow crammed into an easily digestable 144 pages.

It's far more useful than I first imagined when I caught a glimpse of the book's cover in a bookstore, but now that I've read through it I realize the title is accurate: with this book, I feel like I do have infinity in my pocket!

Check out it's companion book, too: Universe in Your Pocket (ISBN 0760752508).

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly the Best Bond Film I've Ever Seen, November 20, 2006
Despite significant changes to the Bond film formula, the world's most famous spy is surprisingly better than ever. Is this a James Bond movie, or a legitimate spy film? If you're not a fan of the old Bond films because the franchise had lost touch with reality, then let Casino Royale reintroduce you to the world's greatest spy.

Some might not like the departure from some elements of the previous 20 Bond films, but I say that's what makes Casino Royale stand apart, and it's exactly why this film will soon be regarded as the best Bond film ever made. There are no scientifically impossible gadgets or physics ("Q" doesn't even make an appearance) and no ridiculous doomsday plots (he's not saving the world, just proving himself). There are no brainless beauties just for the sake of being eyecandy (though Eva Green is absolutely beautiful as Vesper Lynd).

But what of Daniel Craig? If you base your critique of an actor's performance as Bond on how well he compares to the character in the pages of Ian Fleming's novels, then this James Bond is the best in his bigscreen history. Sean Connery was an entertaining Bond, but he was never this good at being Bond. Maybe it's because the James Bond franchise is no longer a "relic of the Cold War" (as M refered to Bond in Goldeneye), but a modern film franchise that intends to be taken seriously in the 21st century. And after watching Daniel Craig in Casino Royale, I'm taking James Bond seriously for the first time in my life.

This Bond actually appears worthy of 00 status. He is equal parts bold and brash. He's extraordinarily talented and resolute. Most importantly, he's human. He has personality. In Casino Royale, James Bond isn't the same man from the beginning to the end. We watch him change. For the first time ever when watching a Bond film, I felt involved with the plot.

This time, the film means something. It's not just mindless entertainment, but excellent cinema. Pick this one up!

These Are the Days
These Are the Days
11 used & new from $11.98

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best of the year!, December 26, 2004
This review is from: These Are the Days (Audio CD)
I have fun taking music seriously. At the end of every year I review all the new music of the year, which usually means a list of about 40 albums that I thought were among the best. After narrowing down my favorites, and keeping only the best sounds in my CD player, I found that I just could NOT tire of Saybia's album These Are The Days. Light-hearted, deep-meaning, steady rock with hints of soulful emotion, all backed up by beautiful vocals and clever instrumentation that make this an incredibly soothing album.

Those who can't get into Saybia will complain that it sounds like any other pop-rock act with an acoustic guitar occasionally backed by electric. But I can't help loving this album. It reminds of me of Radiohead at times, and of nothing I've ever heard before at others. Definitely one of few must-haves of 2004!

Official Major League Baseball Fact Book, 2004 Edition
Official Major League Baseball Fact Book, 2004 Edition
by Sporting News
34 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Statistics repository for the 2003 season, a great resource!, September 27, 2004
Now that the 2004 season is basically over, this book will be outdated very quickly, but look for future versions! I remember picking a copy up in the bookstore for the first time and being simply amazed by how much information was contained within its pages!

The Official MLB Fact Book (2004 Edition) includes an overwhelming supply of individual and team stats for the 2003 stats, plus postseason box scores, and list after list of baseball greats including award winners, league leaders, record holders, and hall of famers.

I used to rely only on each yearly edition of The Sporting News Record Book for updated statistics, but beginning with 2004, I may have found a better alternative.

Senators from Georgia
Senators from Georgia
by Josephine Mellichamp
11 used & new from $23.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Outdated, But Historically Relavant, November 16, 2002
This review is from: Senators from Georgia (Hardcover)
Although this book is horribly outdated, having no second edition in the twenty-six years since its publication, it still accurately portrays the first two hundred years of Georgia's representation to the United States Senate. Some of Georgia's best are included in this volume -- Richard Russell, William Bibb, and Thomas Watson to name a few -- yet some of Georgia's more recent best, like Paul Coverdell, Max Cleland, and Zell Miller, are not.
This book is an excellent biographical reference for Georgia's Senators prior to 1976. If you ever plan to involve yourself with Georgia politics, I recommend this book.

Higher
Higher
15 used & new from $0.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, May 23, 2001
This review is from: Higher (Audio CD)
There are only four tracks: Higher, To Whom It May Concern, Roadhouse Blues, and What's This Life For. Higher is simply the studio/album release. To Whom It May Concern is an awesome track never released in the U.S. Roadhouse Blues is a live cover of the Doors' original, I believe from Woodstock '99. What's This Life For is an excellent studio acoustic version that can also be found as a bonus track on special or import editions of either of Creed's first two albums. This is a great CD, especially for the hard-to-find bonus tracks.

The Writings of William James: A Comprehensive Edition (Phoenix Book)
The Writings of William James: A Comprehensive Edition (Phoenix Book)
by William James
Price: $30.58
62 used & new from $4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Complete James Work I've Seen, May 23, 2001
The title is accurate: this is certainly a comprehensive edition of the work of William James. Included are several hundred pages of essays that lay out in complete detail the psychological and philosophical ideology of William James. You can not buy a better James work, and especially not for $25 or less.

My Own Prison + 2
My Own Prison + 2
30 used & new from $6.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Meaning + Talent = Great Music, April 8, 2000
This review is from: My Own Prison + 2 (Audio CD)
All of Creed's music means something. I can find a way to relate all the songs on this CD to something; every song tells a story or delivers a message, mostly just to get one to sit back and think. The blend of Scott Stapp's unique voice and awesome music... it's just soothing. One wouldn't expect hard rock to be soothing, but that's what this is. I definitely recommend this to anyone who likes to rock!