Profile for S. M. Baker > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 105

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. M. Baker RSS Feed (Tucson, Az USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Desert Places: A Novel of Terror
Desert Places: A Novel of Terror
by Blake Crouch
Price: $11.41
42 used & new from $6.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful, but not terribly frightening, May 8, 2015
I enjoyed this novel, as I do most of Blake Crouch's work. I'd describe this as a fairly easy and quick read. It surprised me a few times when I thought something predictable was about to happen and it didn't. Several of the reviewers described the novel as "terrifying" or "gruesome" and that almost turned me off because I really don't go for terrifying or gruesome horror novels. This mostly fits into the suspense/thriller category, being mostly a psychological thriller. There are a few unsettling scenes, but Crouch's description of them is fortunately fairly shallow and these scenes get over relatively quickly.

I'm definitely going to read the next one in the series, as I'm genuinely curious about where the series is headed.

Star Soldier (Doom Star) (Volume 1)
Star Soldier (Doom Star) (Volume 1)
by Vaughn Heppner
Price: $9.99
7 used & new from $9.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, easy read, military space adventure with some good twists., April 25, 2015
I really enjoyed the doom star series. It was an easy, light read, and it actually surprised me at times. I'd think the author was setting me up for a predictable plot, and then suddenly something would happen that would send the story off in a new direction. The good guys have lots of setbacks. Characters are frequently having to make tough decisions where this is no obvious good choice. This is very refreshing as SciFi lately has seemed so predictable in comparison.

The pace is pretty quick, you get a steady dose of action. The fast pace leads to fairly shallow character development. The book does not feel the need to explain the science behind every future propulsion system and weapon system used in the novels. Sometimes you want to read something heavy on the science, other times you just want a fun adventure. This book definitely fits into the latter category.

I look forward for more Vaughn Heppner novels.

HT-225D Full Cycle Ratchet Crimping Tool with interchangeable die set HT-225D
HT-225D Full Cycle Ratchet Crimping Tool with interchangeable die set HT-225D
Offered by Coolerguys
Price: $23.00
4 used & new from $22.95

2.0 out of 5 stars not working for me on 2.54mm / 0.100" dupont-style pins, April 14, 2015
I bought this crimper because I read in the reviews here that it would produce perfect reproducible crimps with 22awg wire and 2.54mm/0.1" dupont-style crimp pins. These are the type of pins that people typically use with 0.100 headers on arduinos and such.

I've had no luck getting decent crimps with this crimper. The crimps look reasonably good to the human eye, but when I attempt to insert them into a 0.100 housing, they are 100% of the time ever so slightly too wide to fit the housing. It's not off by much, just enough to make it a miserable task to try to force the pin into the housing (usually by pressing on it hard with a precision screwdriver). I've tried all settings on the tension adjustment.

I suspect that the die is just slightly too wide to properly crimp these pins. I'm at a loss as to how other people are having success using these crimpers on these same pins and wire AWG. If someone could recommend a decent crimper that will reliable crimp this size pin and wire, I'd be very appreciative.

Gila RTK500 Window Film Application Tool Kit, Complete
Gila RTK500 Window Film Application Tool Kit, Complete
Price: $8.97
19 used & new from $7.70

2.0 out of 5 stars Insufficient., February 28, 2015
As pointed out by other reviewers, you can buy better versions of every item in this kit from the hardware store and you can make the solution yourself.

The little plastic squeegee is handy for aggressively going after bubbles, but you also want a full-size squeegee, it'll save you a lot of time and effort. The cutter is pretty worthless. The blade dulled quickly and a dull blade will snag and tear your film. This cutter is so bad that merely having it available and being tempted to use it is a detriment to your job. You want a cutter with a replaceable blade.

Given that you have to buy these additional items to do the job right, you might as well just buy everything you need from your local hardware store.

Departure
Departure
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging but light, February 18, 2015
This review is from: Departure (Kindle Edition)
The first half of the novel is great, we have people dumped into a mysterious situation and forced to cope. Much like how the TV series LOST started out. Then all of a sudden about half way through the author tells us what's going on and things became a whole lot less interesting to me. From that point on the mystery is gone and we just go through the motions with a predictable plot. The science throughout is fairly light, and a little hand wavy. It's hard to go into specifics without spoiling the plot. I feel there was material for at least two maybe three novels and it was jammed into one. This makes for a fast and very easy pace, but lacks depth. I can't help but compare this novel to Dan Simmons's Ilium/Olympos novels, and I would suggest that folks who enjoyed this one would enjoy reading Simmons.

Heterozygoats Just Allele Uneven T-shirt - Red X-Large (46/48")
Heterozygoats Just Allele Uneven T-shirt - Red X-Large (46/48")
Offered by Big Mouth Clothing Ltd
Price: $20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great biology-themed science t-shirt, February 15, 2015
Bought this shirt for a biology teacher. You can find Chemistry of Physics themed shirts all over the place, but decent Biology themed shirts are a rare find. It fits well, and the artwork is well done and pleasing. It was a great unique gift.

Coming Home (An Alex Benedict Novel Book 7)
Coming Home (An Alex Benedict Novel Book 7)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The slowest Alex Benedict novel I've read..., February 15, 2015
I've read all of the Alex Benedict novels, and enjoyed them all, including this one. If I had to pick a least favorite though, this might be it. There's two loosely connected independent plots going on this time. Neither plot relies on the other in any respect other than they happen at the same time; they could have easily been two separate novels. The first is the quest for a lost cache of historical space artifacts (Apollo moon landers, Neil Armstrong's coffee mug, that sort of thing). The second is the recovery of the Capella, the transport that disappeared with Alex's uncle on board way back at the beginning of the series.

Both of these plots are slow and somewhat predictable. If you're new to the Alex Benedict series, then I'd absolutely suggest starting with the first one, 'A talent for war', rather than this one. If you start with this one, you'll be immediately bored. For those familiar with the series, you'll probably mildly enjoy and appreciate this one. Other reviewers have it right when they suggest that this is a transitional novel, setting the stage for bigger events to come.

On the positive side, we do get to revisit Earth, and we get to learn a lot about the early history of mankind's departure from Earth. Like the others, the novel presents a plausible portrayal of archeology as it might occur 8,000 years from now. Our protagonists interview witnesses, research records, read a lot, visit universities, etc. All of the stuff you might expect researchers to do. I've always given McDevitt credit for creating a plausible tale with the Alex Benedict series, grounding his characters in the sort of drudgery that might indeed be necessary to achieve the task.

I look forward and have high expectations for the next novel in the series.

The Lost Starship (Lost Starship Series Book 1)
The Lost Starship (Lost Starship Series Book 1)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting space adventure!, January 18, 2015
I downloaded this novel from the Kindle Lending Library and enjoyed it thoroughly, although I have mixed feelings comparing it to something like Jack Campbell's Blackjack books. The storyline of The Lost Starship seemed a little bit shallow as it seemed to cover a lot of material in a comparatively small amount of space. Battles happen very fast and without much detail. In a way this is a blessing for impatient readers like myself. At times it felt like the protagonists had too easy of a time, often resolving a grim situation with a simple trick.

The antagonists, the "New Men", felt like 1940s - 1960s B-movie SciFi villains to me. This was actually really cool. I even mentally pictured them in black and white sets, hurtling their arrogant insults down at the inferior humans.

Criticisms aside, I'm anxiously looking forward to a sequel. The novel does stand alone and has sufficient resolution, but leaves plenty of room for additional volumes. If the author reads these, I would encourage him to perhaps take the next one a little bit slower and provide more depth to the elements, in particular the space battles.

ELK M1KP2 M1 LCD Low Profile Keypad
ELK M1KP2 M1 LCD Low Profile Keypad
Offered by ProShop Deals
Price: $96.49
10 used & new from $95.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Used this to add a keypad for the garage, January 7, 2015
I needed to add a keypad to the garage for my Elk M1 Gold, and used this one. You can choose to surface mount it which has the advantage of only needing to put a very small hole in the wall, or you can buy a flush mount kit that means a bigger hole cut in the wall but a cleaner install. The surface mount is so low profile that it almost looks like a flush mount. So far, I've surface mounted one and flush mounted the other. There's a few other keypads available for the Elk -- there's an older M1KP1 that in my opinion looks a little clumsier but includes 6 function keys, and there's a M1KPAS which is a smaller keypad (fits a decora plate) but has no LCD display and fewer buttons. It does have a beep capability that will sound a tone to let you know the alarm needs to be disarmed, but it does not include a speaker for audio announcements. For audio, you can get an ELK SP12F speaker, pop it off its faceplate, and mount it right behind the keypad.

Solder Spool Holder with Weighted Base
Solder Spool Holder with Weighted Base
Offered by Electronix Express
Price: $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to the workbench, January 7, 2015
I've put up with the solder spool floating around the desk for years, thinking I didn't need one of these things. Figured what the hell, might as well buy one, and it's been a marked improvement. Gone are the days of having to unwind the roll while sodlering. Gone are the days of the solder roll unspooling itself. I just give it a gently tug and get just as much as I need. The base is weighted, so it stays in place. It looks nice, and works well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11