Profile for S. M. Baker > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 82

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. M. Baker RSS Feed (Tucson, Az USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
G7 Power Vegas LED 22 Watt (110W) 1600 Lumen BR40 Recessed Light Bulb, Dimmable 2700K Warm White Light
Offered by G7 Power
Price: $36.95
6 used & new from $26.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent replacement for a heat-lamp fixture where I didn't want the heat, July 3, 2014
I had a bathroom fixture with a BR40 heat lamp that I didn't really care for. I liked the light that the fixture put out, but not the heat. So I swapped it with this LED and it's perfect -- plenty of light but no significant heat. I had considered going with a higher wattage / higher luminosity BR40 LED bulb, but I'm glad I didn't as this thing is plenty bright. I like the spectrum it puts out better than my cree bulbs. Highly recommended.

Gilmour 13 Brass 2-Way Connector
Gilmour 13 Brass 2-Way Connector
Price: $12.98
22 used & new from $6.96

5.0 out of 5 stars An above average hose splitted, July 3, 2014
I looked into several different hose splitters to try to find the one that was the highest quality. I know I wanted to avoid plastic parts that could crack or become brittle in the sun. This splitter seemed to be the best in that respect. The two knobs are a little stiff, but turning them by hand is doable. All things considered, it's working out great.

Whirlpool 8212638RP 6-Foot Industrial Braided Fill Hose with 90 Degree Elbow, 2-Pack
Price: $21.60
5 used & new from $15.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made, but I'm skeptical that they're much better than regular rubber hoses, July 3, 2014
These hoses are well made, but I'm skeptical of what additional protection is achieved by the braiding. I can't really tell without cutting it and looking at a cross section, but these hoses look like they're probably just a plain ordinary rubber hose with a nylon braid around the outside. It doesn't look like the braid is bonded to the hose in any significant manner, it's just a sleeve. It does afford some degree of abrasion resistance, but is it really going to offer any additional protection against rupture from fatigue? Who knows. I promise I'll post if the thing ever ruptures, and complain quite loudly about it.

I figure, at the very least it's no worse than a plain ordinary rubber hose, and there's a good chance that it's actually better in some way.

C2G / Cables to Go 37099 8-Port Dual Gang Multimedia Keystone Wall Plate (Stainless Steel)
Offered by A - Link Systems
Price: $9.17
9 used & new from $5.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made heavy duty attractive keystone plate, July 2, 2014
This is a really nice metal keystone wall plate. I bought it because I've had issues with the plastic ones cracking, especially ones with many keystone jacks mounted. While this plate is heavy duty, it does make use of plastic inserts where each keystone jack will mount (I suspect it's impossible to get the right form factor for the mount with a stamped metal plate alone). Those inserts are going to be the weak link, but they seem sturdy enough. I have a couple of different brands of keystone jacks that I used with it, and they all fit snugly. The plate included matching screws. The plate itself looks nice, high quality, and professional.

Superior Tool 37516 1-1/4" Internal PVC Pipe Cutter-One and a Quarter Inch Pipe Cutter for PVC
Price: $11.98
11 used & new from $6.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked, but bounced and chattered a bit, June 29, 2014
I bought this thing to cut out a PVC shower drain pipe from the top. It bounced and chattered a whole lot, and I was really worried that it was wrecking the inside of the pipe, but when I was done the inside of the pipe looked fine. This is one of those special-purpose tools that when you need it, you really need it.

Water Right PCH-025-EP-6PKRS Polyurethane Lead Safe Coil Garden Hose, 25-Foot x 3/8-Inch, Eggplant
Price: $29.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Short hose is short., June 29, 2014
At my peril, I ignored all of the reviews that said the hose was too short. It is, indeed, too short for most uses. I haven't measured it, but it feels to me that the usable length is somewhere between 10 and 15 feet. There's still times where that's usable, for example this hose is perfect for filling my hot tub. As such I decided to keep it, but I'll probably end up buying the longer one as well.

The construction of the hose does appear to be high quality. It's better than the other curly hose that I bought at the hardware store a decade ago.

Paradise Spa Vacuum
Paradise Spa Vacuum
Price: $46.20
10 used & new from $31.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A simple, yet innovative solution., June 29, 2014
This review is from: Paradise Spa Vacuum (Lawn & Patio)
Sometimes innovation and simplicity go hand-in-hand. This tool is entirely manually operated, yet has no pumps and very few moving parts. As others have described, it works by water pressure. You hold your thumb over a hole in the top, push it down into the hot tub, and then remove your thumb. Water rushes in to displace the air, sucking up debris with it. The disadvantages are:

1) It takes a couple feet of water to make it work. If you're trying to vacuum something shallow, like a shallow fish pond, this is probably not the tool for you.

2) Due to the way it works (water displacement of air), it only vacuums up a limited amount each time you use it. You have to pull the thing back out of the hot tub, let the water drain out, cover the hole in the handle, and reinsert it to do more vacuuming. I usually repeat 4-6 times for a spa-vacuuming session.

Shaxon BM603U810-10B, Category 5E Keystone Jack 10 Pack, RJ45 to 110, Blue
Shaxon BM603U810-10B, Category 5E Keystone Jack 10 Pack, RJ45 to 110, Blue
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent keystone jacks, recommended, June 29, 2014
These keystone jacks worked out very well. The profile on the back is somewhat smaller than the older jacks I'd been using, making them fit comfortably behind a panel where I had many jacks installed. The cover that snaps on the back is one piece, which I like better than my older jacks that had two-piece covers. They're color-coded for both T-568A and T-568B. I do recommend you purchase a punchdown tool to use with these if you do not have one.

Cisco IOS in a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))
Cisco IOS in a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))
by James Boney
Price: $30.74
80 used & new from $2.02

3.0 out of 5 stars Dated, but still useful, June 29, 2014
This book is very dated -- it doesn't even cover the zone-based firewall that my IOS 12.04 router has. However, there's not much else out there, so what are you going to do? A large part of the book is dedicated to a reference section, which seems a little redundant considering that any reasonable person is just going to google when they need to know command syntax. The value of this book is the how-to part, which will tell you how to configure a variety of services on your router. The biggest drawback is the lack of discussion of the newer firewall technologies.

Somfy Universal RTS Interface II, 16 Channel
Somfy Universal RTS Interface II, 16 Channel
Offered by Home Automation Products Supplier
Price: $499.00
6 used & new from $325.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor transmitting power, May 4, 2014
First of all, I seem to suffer from poor reception on all of my Somfy RTS motors, so take this review with a grain of salt, from a user who seems to have problems with the reliability of the entire product line. Maybe my office just has a lot of RF interference. I've fiddled with the antennas on the shades themselves to no avail.

My basic setup is a 400sqft room with two Somfy RTS shades. I can control the shades with the Telis 4 remotes that came with them. I can control them with a somfy dry contact interface (which is basically a remote in a box with some wires soldered to the the buttons).

I bought this very expensive interface for three reasons: 1) to control both shades from the same interface, 2) to control it via Ethernet with a GlobalCache iTach, and 3) in the hopes that this device with its external antenna would perform as good as, or even better than the dry contact interface with its dinky little PCB antenna.

The device seems to utterly fail on requirement #3. I can set it right on top of the dry contact interface, and its signal cannot reach the RTS motors. It's ability to transmit appears to be significantly worse than the much cheaper and much smaller dry contact interface. I found this very surprising given the relative sizes of the antenna on this device compared to the dry contact interface. My only guess would be that the external antenna is there more for appearance than function, and degrades performance compared to the dry contact interface's PCB antenna. Maybe the engineers just got the design of the transmitter wrong.

I've tried moving the device around the room and comparing it to the handheld remotes and observed the same behavior. Places where the handheld remotes work fine, this device experiences either intermittent reception or no reception at all.

I'm going to try finding a somfy forum or emailing the manufacturer for some support. Maybe they can explain why I'm experiencing such poor overall reliability from the system as a whole and especially from this particular device.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9