Profile for S. M. Baker > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 86

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. M. Baker RSS Feed (Tucson, Az USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
DYMO Rhino 4200 Industrial Labeling Tool QWERTY Keyboard (1801611)
DYMO Rhino 4200 Industrial Labeling Tool QWERTY Keyboard (1801611)
Price: $45.23
100 used & new from $44.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for cat5 cable labels, August 14, 2014
I bought this labeler specifically for labeling cat5 and similar cables. Prior to this I had owned a brother, but it was only good for making flag-style labels. This one makes flag labels in addtion to wrap-around labels, which I find to be much neater in a crowded panel. It has presets for lots of other kinds of labels too, things that I don't need. It feels durable. It works well.

It seems less wasteful of label tape than my brother labeler was. That was always one of my biggest complaints about the brother, that it liked to spit out lots of extra tape. Good for brother, not good for me. This one is more conservative and only spits out as much tape as is necessary.

Watts 3/4 LF15 LeadFree Water Hammer Arrestor, 3/4" Lead Free
Watts 3/4 LF15 LeadFree Water Hammer Arrestor, 3/4" Lead Free
Offered by Greater Plumbing Supplies
Price: $43.89
3 used & new from $43.89

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a water hammer arrestor. Use it if you have water hammer that needs arresting., August 14, 2014
I once had a situation where I shut the off the irrigation water too fast. Bang.. Bang.. Boom! Water roaring out all over the front yard and a lengthy repair job.

So at my new house when I decided to install a high-flow water hydrant on my irrigation line, I added one of these arrestors as a purely preventative measure. I don't know whether I needed it, but I wanted to make sure that if someone shut off the hydrant too fast, that I wasn't going to spend the weekend digging up and replacing pipes.

What can you say about this thing? It looks like a typical water arrestor, kind of a bigger than average one, for decent size problems. Feels solid and heavy duty and durable, at least from the outside.

Resmed Airfit P10
Resmed Airfit P10
Offered by CPAP Deals
Price: $71.48
5 used & new from $66.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best mask I've ever had, from a former Swift FX user, August 14, 2014
I've tried nasal masks and nasal pillows. I've used a Swift FX for years. The problem with the Swift FX was twofold: 1) the amount of exhaust from the mask, and 2) a slight whistling from the swivel/elbow.

The Airfit P10 resolves both of those problems for me. I'm simply amazed as I know that air must be leaving the mask, but it's so well diffused that I find it to be nearly silent. There's no annoying swivel to whistle. It's lightweight. The strap is not as adjustable as the Swift FX was, but it works every bit as well. This is a good example of superiority through simplicity.

Claws That Catch (Looking Glass Book 4)
Claws That Catch (Looking Glass Book 4)
Price: $6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars What the heck happened?, August 14, 2014
This series started out strong with "Into the Looking Glass", a very interesting action packed book that put forth a portal technology that should have offered unlimited potential for good stories. In Vorpal Blade, we diverted from that technology in order to build a space submarine and fly around the galaxy. Okay, I have enough patience for that. I figure sure we'll be able to get back to the looking glass portals, confront the dreen, find some answers.

But no, the books just got increasingly worse. Somewhere along the way we mysteriously lost Mimi and Tuffy. I didn't really like them anyway, but for them to simply silently disappear from the story, somehow folding their qualities into Miriam just felt disjointed. We get to spend this entire volume hearing more minute trivia about military procedures and how much paperwork is involved. Commander Weaver, relegated to the job of XO, contributes almost nothing of substance to the story. We get personality conflicts between crew members. I don't really care if the Chef can or cannot cook a decent meal.

By the time the volume concludes, the story is almost unrecognizable. I won't share the details here for fear of introducing spoilers, but things start happening that are just so absurd, that the story borders on childish fantasy. Not that childish fantasy is a bad thing, it has its place, it's just not where this story started and not where it deserves to end. It's clear to me that there was intended to be sequels, but that this volume got so far off track that it unfortunately left the series in an unrecoverable state.

I've a huge John Ringo fan. I've read several of his series. I just don't understand how he grapped this one up so bad.

G7 Power Vegas LED 22 Watt (110W) 1600 Lumen BR40 Recessed Light Bulb, Dimmable 2700K Warm White Light
Offered by G7 Power
Price: $36.95
2 used & new from $26.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent replacement for a heat-lamp fixture where I didn't want the heat, July 3, 2014
I had a bathroom fixture with a BR40 heat lamp that I didn't really care for. I liked the light that the fixture put out, but not the heat. So I swapped it with this LED and it's perfect -- plenty of light but no significant heat. I had considered going with a higher wattage / higher luminosity BR40 LED bulb, but I'm glad I didn't as this thing is plenty bright. I like the spectrum it puts out better than my cree bulbs. Highly recommended.

Gilmour 13 Brass 2-Way Connector
Gilmour 13 Brass 2-Way Connector
Price: $12.35
21 used & new from $7.73

5.0 out of 5 stars An above average hose splitted, July 3, 2014
I looked into several different hose splitters to try to find the one that was the highest quality. I know I wanted to avoid plastic parts that could crack or become brittle in the sun. This splitter seemed to be the best in that respect. The two knobs are a little stiff, but turning them by hand is doable. All things considered, it's working out great.

Whirlpool 8212638RP 6-Foot Industrial Braided Fill Hose with 90 Degree Elbow, 2-Pack
Price: $21.84
4 used & new from $15.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made, but I'm skeptical that they're much better than regular rubber hoses, July 3, 2014
These hoses are well made, but I'm skeptical of what additional protection is achieved by the braiding. I can't really tell without cutting it and looking at a cross section, but these hoses look like they're probably just a plain ordinary rubber hose with a nylon braid around the outside. It doesn't look like the braid is bonded to the hose in any significant manner, it's just a sleeve. It does afford some degree of abrasion resistance, but is it really going to offer any additional protection against rupture from fatigue? Who knows. I promise I'll post if the thing ever ruptures, and complain quite loudly about it.

I figure, at the very least it's no worse than a plain ordinary rubber hose, and there's a good chance that it's actually better in some way.

C2G / Cables to Go 37099 8-Port Dual Gang Multimedia Keystone Wall Plate (Stainless Steel)
Price: $10.53
11 used & new from $5.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made heavy duty attractive keystone plate, July 2, 2014
This is a really nice metal keystone wall plate. I bought it because I've had issues with the plastic ones cracking, especially ones with many keystone jacks mounted. While this plate is heavy duty, it does make use of plastic inserts where each keystone jack will mount (I suspect it's impossible to get the right form factor for the mount with a stamped metal plate alone). Those inserts are going to be the weak link, but they seem sturdy enough. I have a couple of different brands of keystone jacks that I used with it, and they all fit snugly. The plate included matching screws. The plate itself looks nice, high quality, and professional.

Superior Tool 37516 1-1/4" Internal PVC Pipe Cutter-One and a Quarter Inch Pipe Cutter for PVC
Price: $11.98
10 used & new from $6.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked, but bounced and chattered a bit, June 29, 2014
I bought this thing to cut out a PVC shower drain pipe from the top. It bounced and chattered a whole lot, and I was really worried that it was wrecking the inside of the pipe, but when I was done the inside of the pipe looked fine. This is one of those special-purpose tools that when you need it, you really need it.

Water Right PCH-025-EP-6PKRS Polyurethane Lead Safe Coil Garden Hose, 25-Foot x 3/8-Inch, Eggplant
Price: $29.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Short hose is short., June 29, 2014
At my peril, I ignored all of the reviews that said the hose was too short. It is, indeed, too short for most uses. I haven't measured it, but it feels to me that the usable length is somewhere between 10 and 15 feet. There's still times where that's usable, for example this hose is perfect for filling my hot tub. As such I decided to keep it, but I'll probably end up buying the longer one as well.

The construction of the hose does appear to be high quality. It's better than the other curly hose that I bought at the hardware store a decade ago.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9