Profile for S. M. Baker > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 111

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. M. Baker RSS Feed (Tucson, Az USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Dremel 220-01 Rotary Tool Work Station
Dremel 220-01 Rotary Tool Work Station
Price: $48.06
70 used & new from $39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The tool you know isn't up to the task... but you want to buy it anyway, July 2, 2015
You're reading these reviews because you've convinced yourself that you need a small drill press for some purpose, and this thing fits just the right niche. You kinda know it won't be up to the task, but you're trying to find a positive review that will convince you otherwise so you can order it. You should just stop now.

The dremel drill press is only usable for the absolute lightest duty work. Forget about trying to drill metal with it (please, just take the money out of your wallet and burn it; you'll waste the same $$ but with a fraction of the frustration). It's not good at drilling particularly hard plastic either. It can probably drill soft wood. The biggest problem is that the moto-tool mounts only at the nose. It's simply not a rigid enough mounting configuration. It doesn't hold the tool solidly, so the bit will walk if your material is the least bit hard.

I tried to use this thing to drill a couple of small holes in aluminum, but just ended up going out to the garage and using the "real" drill press. Same thing when I tried to drill some hard acrylic. Nearly every time I try to use it for a small job, I end up going off to use the big drill press.

I'm giving it three stars because there are still a few tasks that it is good for, like drilling wood. Many people who buy this are going to try to do more than that with it at some point, and it's going to turn into an exercise in frustration using an inadequate tool for the task. I'm also concerned about the overall build quality (I hear other reviews complaining of plastic gears used for the lever assembly). It could have been so much better with only a few small improvements. An additional mounting strap for the moto-tool would have made a huge difference.

Panasonic FV-15VQ5 WhisperCeiling 150 CFM Ceiling Mounted Fan, White
Panasonic FV-15VQ5 WhisperCeiling 150 CFM Ceiling Mounted Fan, White
Price: Click here to see our price
31 used & new from $141.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Used to ventilate a garage, July 2, 2015
I bought this so that my garage would smell a little bit less like a garage. Even at 150 CFM it's small for ventilating a garage, but it's enough to give some turnover of air and improve the air quality. I would say it's the quietest such fan that I have ever experienced, but it's by no means "whisper quiet". You can definitely hear a light hum as it runs.

The installation was fairly easy since I have access to the attic. I did not use the enclosed brackets, but rather framed up an opening with 2x4 scrap and mounted the fan to that.

Whirlpool W10130698 Door Latch Assembly
Whirlpool W10130698 Door Latch Assembly
Price: $23.85
15 used & new from $10.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Fixed my broken dishwasher, July 2, 2015
My dishwasher, an Amana, had a broken door latch. This part fixed the latch. It was a relatively easy install, there's a video on youtube that tells you exactly what to do. No special tools required - just a screwdriver.

Steel Sheet Metal Screw, Black Oxide Finish,  Pan Head, Phillips Drive, Type A, #10-12 Thread Size, 1" Length (Pack of 100)
Steel Sheet Metal Screw, Black Oxide Finish, Pan Head, Phillips Drive, Type A, #10-12 Thread Size, 1" Length (Pack of 100)
Price: $9.55

5.0 out of 5 stars I needed some black wood screws, July 2, 2015
I needed black screws to mount some decorative wrought iron hooks to a board. Where else are you going to find black oxide screws? Local hardware stores didn't have them. Although they say they are sheet metal screws, they worked just fine for me on hard wood. I did pilot drill the wood for them first.

Welland Chicago Floating Wall Shelves, Set of 2 (White, 36-inch)
Welland Chicago Floating Wall Shelves, Set of 2 (White, 36-inch)
Offered by WELLAND
Price: $61.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent looking, decent quality floating shelf, July 2, 2015
My wife bought me a pair of these shelves for my birthday. I'm generally pleased -- they look nice and appear reasonably sturdy, at least for holding lightweight models. I don't think I would even consider using them to hold something heavy.

The shelf uses a hidden bracket that is concealed behind and within the shelf to give the appearance that the shelf is "floating" on the wall. The bracket is constructed of metal, and consists of a flat plate with a couple of tubes that protrude into the shelf. The bracket slides inside the shelf so it's entirely concealed.

The package contains a total of six drywall anchors per shelf. They are a heavy duty plastic anchors with a metal screw. My preference is always to mount to studs for shelving rather than to use drywall anchors. You could easily do this if you had studs in the right places.

Unfortunately, my home didn't have studs in the right places (24" spacing), and I was only able to hit one stud behind the shelf. I drilled out the hole in the middle of the shelf bracket a little and installed a whopping big lag screw. Then I used the provided drywall anchors on the two outside ends of the shelf. This gives me reasonable confidence that it's not going to pull off the wall. As far as weight is concerned, I worry more about something heavy bending the internal metal bracket. You're fighting against physics here, there's only so much weight that such a shelf can accommodate.

In general, my opinion of this product is positive, given that you don't expect to put something heavy on it.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Corsair Gaming K70 RGB LED Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown (CH-9000065-NA)
Price: $169.51
42 used & new from $165.00

2.0 out of 5 stars RGB keyboard either has choppy animations (512 color mode) or flickering (16.8 million color mode), June 25, 2015
I bought this keyboard to replace my Max Keyboard X8 Nighthawk, which had 'stuck key' issues. My goals were Cherry MX switches and backlighting. I would have probably been satisfied with a fixed backlight, but I figured for a few tens of dollars more, I'd get this fancy animated backlight keyboard.

This keyboard has two modes -- a 512 color mode and a 16.8 million color mode. Unfortunately the 16.8 million color mode has an annoying 'flicker' side effect that in many cases makes it annoying to the point of being unusable. That leaves you with the 512 color mode, which assuming it's implemented in the obvious way offers three bits for red, green, and blue. Three bits (8 levels of color) isn't enough to do a decent gradient animation. Spread out over 1 second, that would be 8 FPS to fade from zero blue to full blue. That low of FPS looks choppy.

This puts you between a rock and a hard place. You can either have smooth animations with the 16.8 color mode but put up with the flicker, or you can have choppy animations with the 512 color mode, but no flicker. I should mention that this really only matters for gradient animations. If you want a steady color scheme, or an animation that doesn't need smooth gradients, then the defect won't matter. Still, it's annoying they couldn't just get it right.

Many reviews complain about the counter-intuitive software. Yes, it is counter-intuitive, and it is complex, but ten minutes without cracking open the manual was sufficient for me to mostly figure it out and start creating my own animation layouts. They've crammed a lot of capability into the software and you can do some pretty flexible things with it. That flexibility just didn't translate well to an intuitive user interface.

I opted for the Cherry MX brown version to replace my existing Max Keyboard X8 which had Cherry MX blue switches. The MX brown is a little quieter, but IMO not a significant amount. It's still a noisy keyboard. For me this really isn't a problem. I do like the feel of the both the blue and the brown switches. There is sufficient tactile bump to let you know that you've registered a keypress.

The function keys are closer to the rest of the keyboard than on a typical keyboard. I'm not sure why corsair decided to make this nonstandard change to layout. Maybe they think putting them in closer range leads to quicker keypressing for gamers. I'd rather the function keys were a greater distance, but it's not a big deal. I'll get used to it.

The backlight only lights up the upper portion of each key. For the number keys in the main keyboard area, this means it lights up the symbol, rather than the number. For example, on the "4" key the "$" is lit up but not the "4". My Max Keyboard, on the other hand, placed the number and the symbol side-by-side so that both were lit up. Max keyboard had a better keycap design. Corsair should have thought of this.

I've spent some time above complaining about the problems with this keyboard, but most of these are superficial relating to the backlighting (though that it what many people will be plopping down $170 for). The electromechanical function of the keyboard is fine. I've experiences no crashes, hangs, stuck keys, missed keypresses, or failures of any sort while typing. The keyboard has a quality feel to it. They got the basics right, it's just the bells and whistles that fell short.

I am deducting two stars for the inability to do smooth gradient animations as the flicker in 16.8 million color mode is too distracting for me to use that mode. That's a pretty big fail in a keyboard that's specifically marketed for it's backlight animation capability. I'm deducting another star for the design flaw in the number keys that leaves only the symbol and not the number lit, as this is an actual usability issue -- I can't clearly see the numbers at night.

Desert Places: A Novel of Terror
Desert Places: A Novel of Terror
by Blake Crouch
Price: $12.05
33 used & new from $8.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful, but not terribly frightening, May 8, 2015
I enjoyed this novel, as I do most of Blake Crouch's work. I'd describe this as a fairly easy and quick read. It surprised me a few times when I thought something predictable was about to happen and it didn't. Several of the reviewers described the novel as "terrifying" or "gruesome" and that almost turned me off because I really don't go for terrifying or gruesome horror novels. This mostly fits into the suspense/thriller category, being mostly a psychological thriller. There are a few unsettling scenes, but Crouch's description of them is fortunately fairly shallow and these scenes get over relatively quickly.

I'm definitely going to read the next one in the series, as I'm genuinely curious about where the series is headed.

Star Soldier (Doom Star) (Volume 1)
Star Soldier (Doom Star) (Volume 1)
by Vaughn Heppner
Price: $9.99
7 used & new from $9.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, easy read, military space adventure with some good twists., April 25, 2015
I really enjoyed the doom star series. It was an easy, light read, and it actually surprised me at times. I'd think the author was setting me up for a predictable plot, and then suddenly something would happen that would send the story off in a new direction. The good guys have lots of setbacks. Characters are frequently having to make tough decisions where this is no obvious good choice. This is very refreshing as SciFi lately has seemed so predictable in comparison.

The pace is pretty quick, you get a steady dose of action. The fast pace leads to fairly shallow character development. The book does not feel the need to explain the science behind every future propulsion system and weapon system used in the novels. Sometimes you want to read something heavy on the science, other times you just want a fun adventure. This book definitely fits into the latter category.

I look forward for more Vaughn Heppner novels.

HT-225D Full Cycle Ratchet Crimping Tool with interchangeable die set HT-225D
HT-225D Full Cycle Ratchet Crimping Tool with interchangeable die set HT-225D
Offered by Coolerguys
Price: $23.00
4 used & new from $23.00

2.0 out of 5 stars not working for me on 2.54mm / 0.100" dupont-style pins, April 14, 2015
I bought this crimper because I read in the reviews here that it would produce perfect reproducible crimps with 22awg wire and 2.54mm/0.1" dupont-style crimp pins. These are the type of pins that people typically use with 0.100 headers on arduinos and such.

I've had no luck getting decent crimps with this crimper. The crimps look reasonably good to the human eye, but when I attempt to insert them into a 0.100 housing, they are 100% of the time ever so slightly too wide to fit the housing. It's not off by much, just enough to make it a miserable task to try to force the pin into the housing (usually by pressing on it hard with a precision screwdriver). I've tried all settings on the tension adjustment.

I suspect that the die is just slightly too wide to properly crimp these pins. I'm at a loss as to how other people are having success using these crimpers on these same pins and wire AWG. If someone could recommend a decent crimper that will reliable crimp this size pin and wire, I'd be very appreciative.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2015 11:59 AM PDT

Gila RTK500 Window Film Application Tool Kit, Complete
Gila RTK500 Window Film Application Tool Kit, Complete
Price: $8.97
13 used & new from $7.70

2.0 out of 5 stars Insufficient., February 28, 2015
As pointed out by other reviewers, you can buy better versions of every item in this kit from the hardware store and you can make the solution yourself.

The little plastic squeegee is handy for aggressively going after bubbles, but you also want a full-size squeegee, it'll save you a lot of time and effort. The cutter is pretty worthless. The blade dulled quickly and a dull blade will snag and tear your film. This cutter is so bad that merely having it available and being tempted to use it is a detriment to your job. You want a cutter with a replaceable blade.

Given that you have to buy these additional items to do the job right, you might as well just buy everything you need from your local hardware store.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12