Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for kevin m antonio > Reviews

Browse

kevin m antonio's Profile

Customer Reviews: 100

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

kevin m antonio RSS Feed (rumford, ri United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Greatest Hits: Straight Up!
Greatest Hits: Straight Up!
Price: $9.82
31 used & new from $4.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Supreme ear candy, May 8, 2007
Ok, ok, this is almost a duplicate from her 2000 best of, right down to the cover photos... except this time the picture that was on the front is now on back and vice versa...

This time around we get 18 songs, no "megamixes" (filler, like last time). The songs added on this go 'round are "Will You Marry Me" (why yes, Paula, I will), "One or the Other", and "Ain't never Gonna Give You Up".

Right from the get go, these songs leap out of the speakers and are just in your face. The production is busy, lots of things to pick out and latch onto with each listen, but the important thing is you can dance to it.

And then there's Paula her self... Ah. The greatest voice in the world? No, but perfect for these songs. What she lacks in technique, she makes up for in spunk, very infectious.

These songs are as catchy as a cold. Even if you can't stand her, I bet you know at least a dozen of these sonic bon-bons.

She is Paula! She will not be denied!!!!

The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years [DIGIPACK]
The Best of Elvis Costello: The First 10 Years [DIGIPACK]
Price: $7.39
76 used & new from $0.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Another best of? Again?!?, May 1, 2007
Yes, and, thanks to Hip-O, it's a darn good one. I've always found EC's two disc best ofs too much to wade through. This one is very similar to Columbia's old one-disc best of from 1985, except this new one has "I Want You", probably one of his greatest songs. Also, I imagine that 22 years later the sound quality is much improved.

Overall this is an excellent roundup of Elvis Costello's music before he switched to Warner Brothers and stopped mattering. You will not be disappointed. If you like this then proceed to 'My Aim Is True', 'This Year's Model', and 'Armed Froces'. After that you're on your own.

All American Boy
All American Boy
Offered by Fulfillment Express US
Price: $14.27
56 used & new from $4.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent remastering job., March 14, 2007
This review is from: All American Boy (Audio CD)
'All American Boy' is one of the great lost albums of the 70s... so lost that a German company, Repetoire, had to do the remastering instead of Sony.

They did a, well, read the review title. I heard instruments I never knew existed (for about 20 years I've been listening to a tape I made of the record). The sound is evenly balanced; no one decided to bring just the drums or guitars to the front. Overall there's a nice warmth to the sound.

There's an informative boolet with a nice essay, lyrics and musician credits. There's also two bonus tracks, single versions of "Teenage Love Affair" and "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo."

As for the album, well anyone over 30 must at least know "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo", which kicks off this album. Roaring guitar, charging drums, a great way to open any album!

All the other songs are just as catchy, even the two instrumentals "Joy Ride" and "Time Warp".

Rick plays the bulk of the instruments. He also gets assists from Edgar Winter, Joe Walsh, and Jean "Toots" Thielemans, who chips in some lovely harmonica on the gorgeous "It's Raining.".

His secret weapon though is drummer Bobby Caldwell (the "What You Won't Do for Love" guy? Don't know.). He doesn't so much keep the beat as use his kit as the lead instrument, battling Rick's guitars for supremacy.

Kinda pricey, though. I was lucky in that someone gave me an amazon. gift certificate, so I blew most of it on this. I'd still have bought it even without the g.c. It's worth it!

I Am Shelby Lynne
I Am Shelby Lynne
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $5.29
232 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Words fail me, February 3, 2007
This review is from: I Am Shelby Lynne (Audio CD)
This is the first time ever I don't know what to say about a CD. Whatever I write will fall way short of how brilliant and full of life 'I Am Shelby Lynne' is. Even the terms "brilliant" and "full of life" don't do this CD justice.

So, all I will write is you owe it to yourself to buy this CD. Your life will be richer for it.

Definitive Greatest Hits
Definitive Greatest Hits
17 used & new from $7.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Even more Al than last time!, February 3, 2007
Let's see... when last we left off in 1995, 'Al Green's Greatest Hits' had the original album plus 5 extra tracks for a total of 15. Apparently that wasn't enough... and it wasn't! No "Take Me to the River".

Well this time round they got it right. Now we get that song plus 5 MORE songs for good measure.

So, if you're like me, you need the upgrade. If this is your first exposure to Al Green, this has everything you'd ever want or need by the man.

Now the only thing I have to get used to is a different track order...

Sesame Street - Rock and Roll!
Sesame Street - Rock and Roll!
DVD ~ Carlo Alban
Price: $7.19
24 used & new from $3.97

5.0 out of 5 stars We're rock and roll readers!, January 7, 2007
Once again the CTW does it for the kids (fun songs) and the grownups (lots of sly pop references).

Jackman Wolf (see?) takes requests from everyone: Bert, Oscar, and (my favorite Street hottie) Gina, for whom Jackman plays both Chrissie and the Hearbeats's masterpieces "You're Alive" and the brilliant "Rock and Roll Readers" ("when we're not onstage we're likely to be/making an appearance at the library"). Other standouts are "(I Can't Get No)Cooperation" by... wait for it... the CobbleStones, and the "No" song featuring Gina and Maria.

No ABCs or counting on this one, just fun fun fun! And best of all... NO ELMO!

20th Century Masters
20th Century Masters
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $12.43
27 used & new from $4.69

5.0 out of 5 stars All hail the Gothmother!, January 7, 2007
This review is from: 20th Century Masters (Audio CD)
MCA/Universal/Geffen/Whoever-they-are-this-week's 20th Century Masters series is a fine one... but, as usual, the Canadian imports trump the US releases each time. This is one of them.

Geffen (I think) put out a one-disc Siouxsie best of recently, but it's not as comprehensive as this. Plus, it renders 'Once upon a Time' and 'Twice upon a Time' superfluous. "Heresy!" some of you Banshee fans may cry, but this disc is TIGHT. The song selection, chronology, essay and sound are excellent.

So, if you'd like to know Siouxsie like I know Siuoxsie, oh, oh, oh! This is a great place to start.

The Aeneid of Virgil (Bantam Classics)
The Aeneid of Virgil (Bantam Classics)
by J. W. Mackail
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $5.95
328 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum!, December 16, 2006
With Robert Fagles's version of 'The Aeneid' just released, I thought that would be the version I would be reading. I tried Robert Fitzgerald's version some years ago, but I gave up after the 5th or 6th "book".

After reading the numerous glowing reviews for Allen Mandelbaum's translation, I thought I would give it a shot.... plus it cost a lot less than Fagles's! I was not disappointed.

Mr. Mandelbaum's take on Virgil's epic is eminently accessible, very easy to understand (but not dumbed down at all). The glossary at the end is a huge help in identifying characters and places (as many of them go by more than one name).

This is a thrilling tale full of adventure, romance, war, friendship and loyalty. If you buy only one version, this is the one to get.

Journey: Greatest Hits
Journey: Greatest Hits
Price: $7.50
181 used & new from $1.44

1.0 out of 5 stars The aural equivalent of McDonalds, December 15, 2006
This review is from: Journey: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
You crave it. You know it's not good for you, but for some reason you have to have it. So, you buy it, and consume it. And then, it hits you: It really ISN'T good for you and you're about to become very sick.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2010 7:41 AM PDT

We Are the Pipettes
We Are the Pipettes
Price: $15.36
78 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars 2006 Album of the Year!!!, December 10, 2006
This review is from: We Are the Pipettes (Audio CD)
In 33 minutes, the Pipettes restored my faith in good old fashioned FUN rock and roll. 'We Are the Pipettes' has not left my cd player since I put it in there. I cannot remember the last time an album made me dance around like an idiot in the privacy of my own home... with a smile on my face. This cd is so addictive, once it ends I play it again... and again!

As for the music, there's a definite Spector influence, but also the Shangri-Las as well, especially with songs like "Why Did You Stay", "Your Kisses Are Wasted On Me" and "It Hurts to See You Dance so Well". Pure attitude.

So, if you've forgotten what it's like to have fun whilst listening to music you need to get this today. I'm off to listen to it yet again!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10