Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Profile for Girish Manghani > Reviews

Browse

Girish Manghani's Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Girish Manghani "GM" RSS Feed (boston)

Nikon D3100 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Auto Focus-S Nikkor Zoom Lens (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Electronics Basket
Price: $365.00
91 used & new from $250.00

5.0 out of 5 stars D3100: Biggest Bang for your buck, October 22, 2010
:About the Camera and why I think its Great:

-- Relative to DSLRs, this is small and light weight but still feels solid and rugged in your hands. I disagree with the comments about the flimsy memory card cover - it is as solid as as a hinged micro door can get. The construction and design quality is way better than Canon Entry or Mid Level DSR's. Certainly better than Rebel XSi or T1i.

--Picture quality is impeccable, but that's expected from a Nikon. Ease of use is what makes this camera stand out. For a beginner like me, the intuitive Menu Navigation and visual depiction of exposure functions are a big help. The guide mode is great and very handy.

--The videos are good, they are not the best feature of the camera but no one expects them to be. They satisfy my video taking needs so I am happy. The other reviews have covered the pros and cons of the video mode very well.

:About the Package:

-- For 800 Dollars I got a great camera packaged with a great lens (18-55mm) and top it, I got the awesome 55-200mm Nikkor AF-S lens which is an awesome telephoto lens for amateurs like me. They also threw in a $10 worth UV Filter. All for 800 dollars, that's a win I'd say. A similar package in D90 or D7000 would be twice that amount. D7000 is an awesome camera full of features that most beginners like me will take a couple of years to get to. I will spend that money when I get there.

-- After 2 days of intensive use, I feel that my decision of getting the 55-200mm lens was good. For outdoor pictures, you do need that extra zoom. And for a beginner, outdoor photography is what facilitates learning.

--Other Accessories I would suggest are a weatherproof camera bag - I like the Lowepro 102AW (suggested by one other reviewer), a 16 or 32 gB Class 10 SD Card (I bought transcend SDHC Class 10), a Tamrac N45 Leather Padded Strap, SB-400 flash and I am yet to narrow down on a tripod - suggestions are welcome.

Overall, a D3100 along with the 2 lenses is probably the biggest bang for your buck available today in the market for beginners interested in serious photography. I will also end up buying an SB-400 Flash and a tripod in due course of time which would then complete my kit. 2 or 3 Years with this and I believe I will be ready to graduate to a D7000 or something better that Nikon or Canon may come up with by that time.

(I will update the review in a few days with more technical details as I play with more of the functions. Also, my camera doesn't have the ISO Bug that some other reviewers have mentioned.)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2010 3:12 PM PDT

JanSport Agave Outdoor Lifestyle Series Backpack, Red Curtain
JanSport Agave Outdoor Lifestyle Series Backpack, Red Curtain

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Bag for an Urban Lifestyle, October 19, 2010
Contrary to what Jansport says - I don't think this bag is for the rugged outdoors as in Mountains and Lakes, but its perfect for rugged outdoors like tough city commutes, buses and trains. It's more of an urban lifestyle bag.

I commute to Boston daily for work from the suburbs and this bag is perfect for the kind of usage I have. I carry a laptop, phone chargers, few documents, a snack pack and a few miscelleanous things. My 15" laptop fits, but not the kind of snug fit that I expected from it, that's the reason I am giving it 4 stars.

The straps are comfortable and ergonomic, won't stress your shoulders the chest strap gives you added comfort because it solidifies the position of the bag on your back, and gives you a feeling of security which is necessary if you are taking a crowded subway every morning.

Overall, a great buy!

OtterBox Defender Case for iPhone 3G, 3GS (Black)[Retail Packaging]
OtterBox Defender Case for iPhone 3G, 3GS (Black)[Retail Packaging]
Offered by HEALTHY SPENDING
Price: $37.95
2 used & new from $33.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Solid Protection but Bulky and makes your phone look Ugly, October 19, 2010
I ordered this cover to make sure that my phone gets adequate protection and feels comfortable to use. It does give the phone solid protection but it makes your phone look quite bulky and ugly. It does make your phone difficult to use in the sense that it is tough to invoke the button functions as it has a tough exterior. So increasing/decreasing the volume, restarting your phone, reaching out to the mute silence button is a little difficult.

Buy this cover only if you have a rugged lifestyle and your highest priority is to protect the phone at the cost of usability, form factor.

Wii Fit Game with Balance Board
Wii Fit Game with Balance Board
195 used & new from $4.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Very, very cool. but not a substitute for a 45 minute high intensity workout at your gym. Not a life changer., January 10, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Well, After extensive use of Wii Fit, here are my thoughts:

1. Provides Low intensity Cardio and medium intensity weight loss and Strength Exercises.

2. Very interactive and easy to follow

3. I would rate Aerobics the highest and Strength exercises the lowest in terms of quality of exercises

4. The quality of the hardware (Balance Board) is fantastic, no question. The battery life is reasonable.

5. The feature of the game that calculates the "Wii Fit Age" is absurd and is quite misleading. It fluctuates with tiny bits of changes in the approach and is totally unreliable, one shouldn't care about this feature.

6. The approach to calculate "Wii Fit Age" - the balance test - is also flawed and fluctuates widely with tiny changes. Balance tests are a waste of time.

7. The BMI calculation feature, graphs, time tracking mechanism etc. are all great and add to this game's fitness versatility

8. The most effective exercises/games according to me are Deep breathing, Advanced Step, Free Run, Super Hula Hoop, Rhythm Boxing, Sun Salutation, Soccer Heading, Tightrope Walking. The most fun game is Balance Bubble, it's very addictive.

9. The fact that Wii Fit keeps a track of your external activities also matters. It uses that in calculating the overall impact of the exercises on your body.

The last word - if you own a wii, you gotta buy the wii fit, it's a very cool way to keep fit and keep active. However, do not expect this to be a life changing experience that would help you lose a lot of weight and make you super-fit, it's NOT a substitute for a 45 minute high intensity cardio/aerobic/strength workout at the gym.

Dilbert 2.0: 20 Years of Dilbert
Dilbert 2.0: 20 Years of Dilbert
by Scott Adams
Price: $52.28
77 used & new from $24.69

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for Dilbert lovers, November 3, 2008
It's the best in class. The material inside is very well complemented by quality print. The icing on this baby is the update-able disc. This brings Dilbert right in the class of comic greats like Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side. It's a must have. Go ahead, buy it, you will not regret this masterpiece.