Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Elizabeth Cook Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Rachel > Reviews

Browse

Rachel's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rachel RSS Feed (Madison)

Oggi 9322 5-Piece Acrylic Canister Set with Airtight Clamp Lids-Food Storage Container
Offered by 95 Markets
Price: $25.95
14 used & new from $17.68

1.0 out of 5 stars These didn't open or close right, and are clearly ..., May 10, 2015
These didn't open or close right, and are clearly very cheaply made. I decided to return them within five minutes of opening the box.

My Boyfriend Barfed in My Handbag . . . and Other Things You Can't Ask Martha
My Boyfriend Barfed in My Handbag . . . and Other Things You Can't Ask Martha
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful!, May 10, 2015
This is a funny, but even more so, useful book. I've tried several of her methods, and she hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Spirits of Ash and Foam: A Rain of the Ghosts Novel
Spirits of Ash and Foam: A Rain of the Ghosts Novel
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $7.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Greg Weisman is really good at writing action scenes, August 3, 2014
Greg Weisman is really good at writing action scenes. As in the first volume, those are the strength of this book.

This series is a little more serialized than I wish it were--there have been a lot of teasers that haven't led anywhere yet--but that makes me look forward even more to seeing the third volume and beyond!

Lost States: True Stories of Texlahoma, Transylvania, and Other States That Never Made It
Offered by Penguin Random House Publisher Services
Price: $17.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Shallow and inaccurate, July 23, 2014
When I first saw this book, I thought "What a great topic for a book!" And it is a great topic. It's too bad it was, in my opinion, really mishandled.

The book has quite a bit of breadth (74 "states" are covered), but no depth. Each "state" gets two pages, one of which is a full-page map. The facing page contains more pictures (which are often only tangentially related to the topic); lots of tepid, uncreative jokes; and a little information.

The maps range from interesting to out-and-out bad (one clearly has hand-drawn marker on it; one has Wyoming on the western border of Kansas--which is the reason I downgraded the book from two stars). I think there were . . . maybe four? historical facts that I learned from a 160-page book, but the history was, in places, just as bad as the maps (quote: "[George Washington] was the most popular and powerful man in the world." WILDLY FALSE. WILDLY.)

I don't know who this book is written for. It doesn't give enough background information to teach much to American history novices (it would have helped a little if the order of the "states" were chronological instead of alphabetical), and it's too superficial to teach anything to people who already have solid American history background.

In short, this is a book with the pace and tone of an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, but without the depth or intelligence.

Rain of the Ghosts
Rain of the Ghosts
by Greg Weisman
Price: $7.51
76 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun read!, May 12, 2014
This review is from: Rain of the Ghosts (Paperback)
Here's what I want you to know about Rain of the Ghosts: the major action setpiece is FANTASTIC. The characters, setting, and plot are all very good, but the climactic action scene is EVERYTHING.

11 Points Guide to Hooking Up: Lists and Advice about First Dates, Hotties, Scandals, Pick-ups, Threesomes, and Booty Calls
by Sam Greenspan
Price: $15.71
73 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This would be 111% hilarious, if such a thing were possible, July 11, 2011
Even though I'm now an Old Married Lady, I thought this book was great. It's ostensibly an advice book, but the humor hits home for anybody who is or has been on the dating scene. I've been a fan of Sam's 11 Points blog for years, and the book did not disappoint. I laughed out loud over and over.