Profile for Sheldon Bluestein > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 28

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sheldon Bluestein RSS Feed (Boise, ID USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Osprey Sojourn Wheeled Luggage (28-Inch/80 Liter, Steel Blue)
Osprey Sojourn Wheeled Luggage (28-Inch/80 Liter, Steel Blue)
Price: $319.95
6 used & new from $319.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement pack functioned perfectly, June 29, 2014
The original pack I received had a broken handle. The replacement, which seemed to be a slightly newer and improved model, did not have that problem. (I should mention that Amazon's replacement service was impeccable.)

I used the pack in Iceland for a 21 day hiking/camping trip--a Highlands bus pass. The pack received some abuse when loaded into the bottoms of the buses along with a zillion other campers' packs and gear.

The pack functioned perfectly in all respects. There was PLENTY of rain and wind, and it took it all in stride. Of course, it was also (most likely) overloaded, but no problems there, either.

I was afraid I would often need to carry the thing from bus stop to campsite, which is why I wanted the rolling/pack feature. On probably 10 different setups, I only needed to roll/drag--which it did very well over rough ground, turf, pavement, etc. I did need to carry it once, to a tent site far from the bus stop. It carried just fine, as well as you could expect from a hybrid product like this.

I am upgrading my rating to five star. It's a wonderful backpack/rolling duffel.

The Devil's Garden: Rommel's Desperate Defense of Omaha Beach on D-Day
The Devil's Garden: Rommel's Desperate Defense of Omaha Beach on D-Day
by Steven Zaloga
Price: $24.47
54 used & new from $16.27

5.0 out of 5 stars A marvelous account that explains the horror of Omaha, October 31, 2013
This is a profound book. It sets out to answer the question, "Why was Omaha Beach so bloody?"--and it answers the question.

I only have one bad thing to say about the book: it will cost me a lot of money, because it means I will HAVE to return to the beach and take a closer look at the entire battle there!!!

Tour of the Arnhem Battlefields
Tour of the Arnhem Battlefields
by John Waddy
Price: $20.34
28 used & new from $6.01

3.0 out of 5 stars OK only, and does not cover any American action, June 1, 2013
The book does NOT have detailed maps--just one general map which is almost worthless for driving. It gives locations by UTM grid coordinates, NOT by latitude and longitude: to use it, you need a hiking GPS, and who wants to lug that to Europe?

All detailed sites are in Arnhem or just across the river at the Polish battlefield--nothing down the corridor of the American landings.

I carried it to Arnhem and found it pretty worthless...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2014 2:40 PM PST

Penpower WPSNO31EN World Pen Scan
Penpower WPSNO31EN World Pen Scan
Offered by MAV-DAK Distributors
Price: $89.99
28 used & new from $89.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Quit after one use, November 2, 2012
Sorry to report that mine has quit after one use.
And, there is no technical assistance I can find: no FAQ's for this device, no "troubleshooting" section of the manual.
Plus, when I tried to submit the problem, they gave me a check code field which doesn't work and can't be reset.

Also, they say you can only install the software on ONE computer. That is insulting and stupid. (I know it doesn't matter since it doesn't work, but you oughta know.)

Don't waste time and energy on this device.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2012 10:21 AM PST

Moonrise Kingdom
Moonrise Kingdom
Price: $10.00
55 used & new from $3.98

5.0 out of 5 stars delightful!, September 29, 2012
This review is from: Moonrise Kingdom (Audio CD)
Extremely enjoyable selection of music. Evokes all the fun of the movie. Includes a too-short pamphlet with a few pictures.
The only improvement I could suggest would be to include the lyrics of the various Britten choral pieces, so I could sing along better!

Pacific Dualies 18100 MAX EZ Air 7" Braided Stainless Steel Valve Stem Extensions with EZ Wire Clip For 16"-19.5" Dually Trucks RVs Motorhomes OEM Steel Wheels with 4" Oval Vent Holes
Price: $21.24
5 used & new from $21.24

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT a four-pack, July 25, 2012
Description says this is a four-pack, but it's only a two-pack.

At least, that's what I received.

Now tracking this down--I'll update when it's resolved.

PS: It looks good, but I haven't yet opened the package...

Munich, 1938: Appeasement and World War II
Munich, 1938: Appeasement and World War II
by David Faber
Price: $13.29
64 used & new from $2.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Since WW2 is in the subtitle, why NOT ONE WORD ABOUT WW2?, June 12, 2012
When I turned the last page and saw that the text was finished, I thought, how can this be the end?

Not one word about how the main players ended up. Did they die in combat, did they flee to Argentina, did they utterly escape any punishment, were they tried and hung, ??????????

Not one word about WHAT IT MEANT. How did Munich influence the "containment" generation of American politicians such as JFK?

And what about World War Two? Could a different outcome at Munich have avoided the war?

Very, very disappointing. A book this thick should reward the reader for all his effort at plowing through it!!!!!

WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB  USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Black)
WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Black)
Offered by Databug
Price: $108.00
20 used & new from $44.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Destroyer of computers!, December 24, 2011
This may be a great piece of hardware, but it has the worst possible software.
As soon as it kicks in, it grabs 95% of my laptop's CPU power, and brings my laptop to a screeching halt. What could it possibly be thinking/doing?
This problem has been recognized for FIVE MONTHS now, and Western Digital does not have a fix.
Check it out yourself, on their own forum:
[...]

I finally uninstalled the software, so now I must figure out a new backup solution.

I hate you, Western Digital. You guys are utterly incompetent. I would give you a ZERO STAR rating if I could.

The End: The Defiance and Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1944-1945
The End: The Defiance and Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1944-1945
by Ian Kershaw
152 used & new from $0.95

3.0 out of 5 stars What about loyalty DOWN?, November 16, 2011
I learned a lot about the workings of Hitler's terror machine, and its prevasive nature in the last days. The book explained a lot to me.

But the book didn't ask this question: why didn't the German generals have any sense of loyalty to their troops who were dying by the millions? Kershaw repeats the long-accepted excuse that once the generals swore an oath to Hitler, they had to "honor" that oath and obey every order. But didn't they have ANY sense of loyalty DOWN, and any sense of honor regarding the men who were fighting and dying in an obviously lost cause? This issue seems important to me--and this book seems to have been the right place to address it. But Kershaw never seems to have hinted at it.

I guess I'll have to wait for the next darned Hitler book...
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2011 8:01 AM PST

Sony NWZS545 16 GB Walkman MP3 Video Player (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
12 used & new from $199.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not work with Audible audio books, November 8, 2010
DO NOT buy this of you want to listen to Audible audio books. It doesn't work, and neither Sony nor Audible have a solution.

Seems nice otherwise--but Audible is great (or at least, WAS great until this happened).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3