Profile for Harold McFarland > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 19601

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Harold McFarland RSS Feed (Florida)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Positive Intelligence: Why Only 20% of Teams and Individuals Achieve Their True Potential AND HOW YOU CAN ACHIEVE YOURS
by Shirzad Chamine
Price: $18.96
77 used & new from $10.60

3.0 out of 5 stars Good information but nothing new, June 2, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While this book appears to be as good as any other similar self-help book, as I read through it I could not shake the feeling that there was nothing new here. It is pretty much the same stuff as dozens of other similar books but with different names. Kind of like putting a new dress on the same old pig, it is still the same old pig.

Don't get me wrong, it is stuff that is tried and true and has helped a lot of people. So, the information seems valid to me, just nothing that I have not heard before under different names.

In addition the author does not do a good job of shaking the question of whether this is predominantly more of a piece of marketing material than anything else. He is the chairman and CEO of Coaches Training Institute. That immediately makes one wonder if the purpose of the book is at least in part to drive more business to the Institute. Well, in my opinion it comes across with that as one of the primary goals.

On the other hand, two of the primary characteristics of the primary characteristics of a book that is blatantly just a marketing piece are the constant repetition, ad nauseum, of their trademarked phrases, technique name, or business and providing just enough information for you to get started but not really accomplish anything on your own. This book does not violate either of those principles. The mention of "Positive Intelligence" and similar terms are appropriate for the text and he does appear to give complete complete techniques.

The bottom line for me is that it is as good as any other book of this type, but offers nothing really new or "breakthrough" although the author seems to think differently. He does not shake the feeling that it is at least partially motivated by marketing the program and driving business to the Institute but it is not blatant as is often the case. So, I gave it an average score of three as it may prove useful to many people, but if you have read similar books you will not find anything groundbreaking here.

The Hole in Our Gospel: What Does God Expect of Us?
The Hole in Our Gospel: What Does God Expect of Us?
by Richard Stearns
347 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading, May 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Hole in the Gospel is large part the highly-motivational story of Richard Stearns who left his lucrative job as the President of Lenox China to spend the rest of his life working as the President of World Vision. It follows his struggle to make that decision as well as how he came to the life-altering conviction that God was moving him in that direction.

The book is an easy read and hard to put down once you start. There is no attempt to create guilt or any other feelings in the reader. It simply states his story and provides information on world poverty and the various problems that come along with poverty. But he does it in a very approachable way and comes off like a conversation with an old friend.

It is hard to read this and not come to a realization that there is a whole lot of suffering in the world and we can all do something to help, we just choose not to. I hate a writer who belabors their point and tries to move me toward their point of view through an appeal to emotions. Stearns does not do this in any way, but the realization still comes of its own. This is one of those situations where the inspiration of the one can inspire others. The Hole in the Gospel is highly recommended.

In the Footsteps of Paul
In the Footsteps of Paul
by Ken Duncan
40 used & new from $9.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, May 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was expecting a lot from this book and found it disappointing in some respects and rising well above my expectations in others.

I had expected something more in the text about walking in the teachings of Paul. There is nothing here about his teachings but it does cover his travels. It is his literal footsteps and not his figurative footsteps. It is pretty much a photo travel piece showing the areas Paul travelled through on his missionary journeys. The photography is excellent and while for the most part the structures lie in ruins, you can certainly understand why people chose those places to build towns and understand something about them.

The greatest value of the book is as a visual reference to the geography and inherent beauty of the areas Paul travelled through. The pictures are arranged chronologically based on Paul's travels as related in Acts and so allow you a visual reference to his travels in the way it happened.

In the Footsteps of Paul is a recommended book, not for the reading but for the value of the photographs.

I'm Fine with God...It's Christians I Can't Stand: Getting Past the Religious Garbage in the Search for Spiritual Truth (ConversantLife.com)
by Bruce Bickel
92 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Strikes a familiar chord, May 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There is no question that across the full spectrum of Christianity there are those that do more harm than good through their actions. The authors here try to point out at least a few of the problems that have caused others to opine that they are fine with God but can't stand Christians. Unfortunately the authors are most likely a "voice crying in the wilderness" as this will most likely fall on deaf ears.

This book is a look at these offensive actions and attitudes that drive people away from God and the church while the people believe they are bringing people into the church. I can't say that I agree that all the issues presented are of the same caliber, after all making lousy movies is hardly a significant issue when we all have a choice to see it or not. Still they do look at several items that tend to have the complete opposite effect than the one intended.

Still, perhaps, someone will take the time to digest the message and understand how the intent of our actions is of little solace when it is perceived with a strong negative reaction. I would recommend this book without reservation even knowing that it is unlikely to have any effect on the persons who need to understand it the most.

Incredicharge I-5000 External Battery Pack and Charger 5000mAh Capacity for Apple Iphone 4 4s iPod Touch (1G 2G 3G 4G 5G), Motorola Droid Razr MAXX, HTC Android EVO, Blackberry, Samsung EPIC, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, Samsung Galaxy S2 S3 and Many More Devices

5.0 out of 5 stars Really handy device to have around, April 7, 2012
I have looked at a variety of emergency power solutions and considered none of them to be anything but average until I looked at this one. It was the quickest to charge and provided power the longest of the ones I looked at. The unit comes with multiple tips so you can change them out to use whatever device you need to power.

I used it predominantly for an Android phone and it worked flawlessly. The low battery light had come on and I needed to make a couple of phone calls for business. I plugged the unit in and was able to get everything done that I needed. It worked exactly as advertised with no surprises, no battery heat up, or any other concerns.

The only thing I did not like was the lack of something to put all the tips in. I quickly lost the tip that was needed for my Android but grabbed a connector from the local store with a USB on one end and the mini-usb that my phone requires on the other end. So, problem solved and I was able to use it again. I picked up a cell phone pouch that had a small pocket attached and put the tips in it and all is fine. Now I can keep it all together in my briefcase without any concerns of losing the tips.

The tiny user manual is not well written but it is obvious how to use the unit just from looking at the connectors. I was carrying an extra battery for my cell phone, another one for a gps unit, and another one for a small webOS device with a special application I need to run. All of these spare batteries that were specific to their individual devices are now replaced by this one unit. With the two USB ports on the unit I was able to power both my phone and the handheld webOS device at the same time.

Highly functional, and very versatile, it is a highly recommended purchase for anyone with portable devices.

The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
by Michael Freeman
Price: $20.50
65 used & new from $7.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A lesson on creative vision, April 7, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are plenty of reviews of this book and I really don't want to abuse the patience of the reader with yet another one that says pretty much the same thing. So, after thinking long and hard about what to say in the review I have come up with the following explanation of what I think of the book.

There are some pictures of complete strangers that generate such an emotional reaction that people will purchase the photo and display it even though they have no clue as to the identity of the person. What would cause a person to display a picture of a complete stranger? It is the emotional appeal, the strange beauty, the unique composition or something else that is very rarely found in a photo in our point and shoot world. This book points out the things that must occur to get that perfect picture that not only captures a moment in time but either tells a story or presents something in an entirely different way than expected. It is one of the best books on how to see through a creative lens that results in a compelling photograph. This is a highly recommended book for anyone who has moved on from point and click, whether advanced amateur or professional.

Photo and Video Pro X3 Ultimate [OLD VERSION]
Photo and Video Pro X3 Ultimate [OLD VERSION]
Offered by BuyItAnytime
Price: $23.99
11 used & new from $23.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, hated it, April 7, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Talk about mixed feelings. I worked with photos with the program and was very pleased with the eventual results. The program did not crash or anything but for some features when you started it working you could go get a drink and have an conversation before it eventually completed the task. The effects were what I would expect and the results very pleasing... eventually. It performed much better on my higher level computer that I use for programming than it did on the home computer. Basically, I was well pleased with it on a Windows 7 computer with 4 GB ram and a quad core processor. On the XP, it was terrible.

I did some minimal work with the video part of the program and it seemed to work well too. I do not do much video work so while my opinion is that it worked well, I did not try anything advanced. That is part of the irony of the program. Great product and abilities for the home user/hobbyist/advanced amateur but requires the hardware of a professional system to work well. So, who is their target audience? Is it professionals or advanced amateurs?

Either way, I liked the product when I ran it on the higher level system, but might have given it a one on the average home system. So, I settled for three. If your system hardware is up to date then give it a try, if it is a couple years old then don't bother.

Family Tree Maker Platinum [OLD VERSION]
Family Tree Maker Platinum [OLD VERSION]
Offered by Rover Mall
Price: $99.99
5 used & new from $99.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The subscription is the best thing for this software, April 7, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let me start with what I like about this program. The way it connects to and uses Ancestry.com. Well that was easy enough. That portion of the program is excellent. You can connect, find what you need, have it automatically inserted into the right place and lots of other wonderful things with Ancestry.com. This allows you to build a family tree quickly and is tremendously helpful if you are new or just recently started building your history.

On the other hand, this is one of the most awkward programs available to try to figure out how to do anything manually. If you were trying to build your history by hand by talking to relatives and the like then doing things like adding a step-parent, half-sibling, child out of wedlock, etc, is a nightmare. It can be done, but it is far from intuitive. I have used FTM from very early versions and loved it through the first several iterations. I started with Version 5 and loved it through version 11, then it started being more focused on features at the expense of the user interface and ease of use. And with this version it further frustrates the user experience. The Version 2008 was the last one I would deem user friendly.

The automatic portion can also be confusing as I found myself thinking I had downloaded content that it turns out I had not. When I was not connected to the Internet the content was not there, but when I connected it showed up again. It apparently keeps several items on the Internet by default. However, I did find that I could get it onto my local copy, it was just not intuitive how to do it.

Don't get me wrong, this is great software and does pretty much everything you need. There are just better choices if you are trying to build or edit by hand. The bottom line is it is the best for automatically building your tree through Ancestry.com (absolutely the best online resource). If you want to do anything else, or have to make a change in any kind of relationship, then it is one of the hardest to work with. It will do it, but expect to spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to do it and going through the help manual and probably online help.

For me, I am using the subscription to gather information and then just imputing it into my older version. Reports are faster, interface is cleaner, easier to make changes, searches for duplicates, exports, etc are all faster in the older version. If they would just fix the user interface so that it was intuitive to use it I would move it up to a four or five star review.

Bedtime Monster: ¡A dormir, pequeño monstruo! (English and Spanish Edition)
Bedtime Monster: ¡A dormir, pequeño monstruo! (English and Spanish Edition)
by Bonnie Adamson
Price: $13.73
27 used & new from $2.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Humorous read, November 26, 2010
It's bedtime and Paul is not ready to go to bed, at least not yet. How can he go to bed when everyone else is still up? Soon, Paul becomes the bedtime monster! But his parents know just how to handle that. "Bedtime Monster" is an easy read in both English and Latin American Spanish and a recommended book particularly for those who are trying to expose their child to a second language.

The Surprise Party (Rip Squeak)
The Surprise Party (Rip Squeak)
by Lee Cohen
Price: $13.82
25 used & new from $9.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute basic read with great illustrations, November 26, 2010
When his parents decide to go out and look at the flowers in the garden young Rip Squeak plans a surprise party for them. He enlists the help of his sister, the cat, a frog, and a dragonfly to get the job done. Even with a discontinuity in the story between pages 9 and 10 it still reads well. The illustrations are excellent and well above the average quality one expects from Raven Tree Press. "The Surprise Party" is a very typical story with no real surprises and a recommended read for young children.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20