Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chad Valley All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween
Profile for Harold McFarland > Reviews

Harold McFarland's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1220
Helpful Votes: 19788

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Harold McFarland RSS Feed (Florida)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
G.G.Martinsen Crystal-faceted 16 GB Mini USB Port Slim Small Multi-lingual OS 1.78 LCD Portable MP3/MP4, MP3 Player, MP4 Player, Video Player, Music Player, Media Player, Audio player, Photo Viewer , E-book Reader, Voice Recorder, Games & Movie (Blue)
Price: $25.89
8 used & new from $20.06

3.0 out of 5 stars Average player for a below average price, October 2, 2015
For an inexpensive music or video player this product does a good job. The music is clear and pretty much what I would expect of any mp3 player. Note that there is no speaker built in so you must use the included ear buds or insert other external speakers into the jac k.

The video works well too but the screen is very small and so it is hard to see much detail. This brings me to one of my largest questions with the product. Who is the intended market? Most teenagers and older have cell phones with larger screens and built in speakers as well as the earphone jack. Why would they be interested in an mp3 player with a smaller screen? Well there are at least a few markets for it. Teenagers and adults who jog, run, or engage in other vigorous exercise and want to have music might want something like this. It is definitely easier to replace if it falls or you fall on it.

The other primary group would be young children… if they lose it then it is not a great loss, if they are too young to be trusted with an expensive phone then this is a good option. So, there are a few markets for the product.

The directions were laughably bad. If you get one then charge it up first and just play with it until you get it figured out. It may take a while but you will figure it out quicker that way than trying to read the manual. By reading the manual I thought that I could simply select the song I wanted to hear once it was started. The player started and there was a music note picture and the word “music” so I pressed the center button to select music. It did not work. I tried several things until I figured out that you have to press the menu button to get the music menu. Hmmm, so when on a menu you have to select “menu” to get to another submenu. Okay, I get it but it would be nice to explain things like that in the instructions. Plan on spending some time trying to get it figured out.

One of the other issues mine had was slow response time. For example, if I chose to go to the next song it may take a second or too, not a problem but definitely not immediate. As a result I thought it did not take my input and pressed it again… so here I was skipping over two or three songs as it caught up with my finger press. Nevertheless, given the price this is a nice product, once you get it figured out, and as long as you want to start something and just let it run for a while. For example, start the music player and let it go song after song while you engage in other activities.

I would recommend the product for people who just want to turn it on and let it run and have no need to sort through music files to find different ones. It would also be recommended for people who want to use it for background music while exercising away from home. A mp3 player under twenty dollars is much easier to replace than a five hundred dollar cell phone when it falls from you hip onto the concrete.

The product came complete with ear buds and USB cable. Additional storage is available if you want to add a micro SD card.

This product was provided without cost in exchange for an honest evaluation and review.

VicTsing® Super speed 5Gbps USB 3.0 to SATA 22pin Data Power Cable Adapter for 3.5" SATA HDD,2.5" SATA HDD,2.5" SSD Completing w/ 12V AC Power Supply
Offered by VicTsingDirect
Price: $23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean, solid and well built, it does the job it is designed to do and does it well., October 2, 2015
First, I am a computer forensics expert and have worked with various kinds of adapters and other equipment. Most of my adapters are designed to work with a greater range of drives because of the need to be able to work with old PATA drives in addition to the modern SATA interface. This adapter is a nice addition as it works with all modern drives with a SATA interface and because it does not try to be backward compatible with PATA or other interfaces it is much cleaner and simpler to use.

Some of the other ones I use have separate cables for data and power. One cable connects the drive data port to the USB port and the other connects the wall socket power to the SATA power. This is much nicer to have them as a single connector cable where a separate power supply can just plug into the adapter when needed.

When helping others and there is not a need for the demands of a forensic analysis this is a great basic cable. It allows you to simply take the side off a desktop and connect to the hard drive with your laptop without physically removing the hard drive from the desktop. From there you can transfer a large volume of information, recover deleted files, or do other work on the hard drive as if it were a second drive in your laptop.

The unit came complete with all parts and power supply and appears to be solid and well built. I would recommend it to anyone needing access to the data on a drive and does not want to remove the drive and insert it into an external drive port or case. It worked very well during all the tests performed.

I received this product without cost in exchange for an honest evaluation and review.

R.I.P.P.E.D. Total Body Challenge
R.I.P.P.E.D. Total Body Challenge
DVD ~ R.I.P.P.E.D. Total Body Challenge
Price: $11.11
30 used & new from $7.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD program and effective workout, March 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I would probably be classified as an intermediate level exerciser. I enjoy a good workout that makes me break a sweat but does not leave me overly sore the following day. Before writing this review I wanted to give it at least three weeks of consistent use.

The program requires about an hour of time if you include some time to set up and a quick shower afterward. One of the really nice things of the program is the variety of exercises included. The regular changes keep it from getting boring and the music makes keeping a beat with the exercise easy.

A few of the exercises require weights and you should invest in a set of dumbbells. You can still get a good workout without the weights but they add strength training to the program. I have to admit that this was one of the easiest routines to keep doing instead of getting bored and quitting after a week or so. Most importantly, I felt better and felt that I had a good workout each time but did not feel sore the next day. This is a truly enjoyable program that works and I recommend it as a sustainable program over the others that I have tried.

Don't Make Me Laugh
Don't Make Me Laugh
Price: $19.24
6 used & new from $17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun family game with young children, March 2, 2014
This review is from: Don't Make Me Laugh (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had the opportunity to play this game with a four and five year old. They both enjoyed the game and wanted to keep playing even when it was time to stop. The rules are simple and very easy to understand even for very young children.

I had my doubts as to whether it would keep young children entertained. I was pleasantly surprised at how much they got into it. While I had to read the cards, that was the only thing I had to do. I don't know how well it would do with older kids but the preschool and elementary should be big fans.

Jarrow Formulas Sleep Optimizer, 60 VCaps
Jarrow Formulas Sleep Optimizer, 60 VCaps
Price: $12.49
16 used & new from $12.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely helpful in getting a better sleep, February 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First, I have no sleep issues. When my head hits the pillow I am out until morning. But I do know people with continuous complaints of being unable to fall to sleep or being unable to stay asleep once they do. So I gave it to them to see how it works.

The results were unanimous - they fell to sleep faster and had a more restful sleep. For one they still woke up often during the night but fell back to sleep quickly and easily. So, three people all reported very positive results.

The bottle was safety sealed and came as advertised (yes, I even counted the pills as I have received things that were fewer than advertised). The odor was not very pleasant but it is easy enough to gulp down one of the soft capsules quickly and be done with it. For those with difficulty getting a good night's sleep this certainly appears to be a very effective and professional quality product.

Quartet Magnetic Dry-Erase Calendar, 1-month, 11 x 14 Inches, Purple Frame (MHOP1114-PR)

3.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised as long as you have everything., January 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a simple small dry-erase board and works well for what it is supposed to do. The dry erase marker that comes with it cleans off well with the attached cleaner. The board has a hard plastic frame that provides a basic level of protection. The additional two magnets that come with it can be used to hold small notes to the board and are very useful for a short grocery list.
Because I often don't look ahead very far on a calendar I find that birthdays and other special occasions are upon me before I know it. So, I use the small round magnets to bring my eyes to special events and find them very useful for that.
So, why the three? Well a dry erase board only works with dry erase markers. No real surprise there, but how annoying and inconvenient is it when you lose the marker? Things are missed, not put on the calendar, etc., until you get around to getting another marker and then that one may also have a short life before it is lost. Recognizing this problem most of the ones I have seen have a pocket or something attached where the marker could be placed to keep it from getting lost. This product has nothing like that. It is only a matter of time, and probably a very short time, before it will be lost and was already misplaced twice in three days. There should be a place to put it built into the calendar or a way to attach a cord to it and the calendar or something. The product is already being used less in the family because of the need to look for the marker. If you are fastidious about everything being in its place you will love it, if not then it will probably often be a wall hanging more than a calendar.

Family Tree Maker, Essentials
Family Tree Maker, Essentials

3.0 out of 5 stars Still the best product for geneology research, December 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Quite simply the best. I tried various other ones over the years and they never come up to the level of Family Tree Maker. That is not to say that they have not made some missteps because they have. One version was so slow that it was basically unusable if you have a large file. Not so with the last few iterations. It still starts slow but apparently that is in exchange for working at a decent speed once it is up and running.

This one works well and plenty fast even with a very large database. Of course one of its strongest features is the way that it integrates with You can search from inside the product and then import the information directly into your family tree database including pictures, copies of the pages of the census records and similar. If you are new then it provides you with the resources to quickly build your family tree.

The only real problem with the software is the user interface. There are places where I wonder what they were thinking. I created a report and spent several minutes trying to figure out how to print it. I looked in the frame where the report was located and there was no print icon. Click File and no print option. Right click on the report and no print option. Then there it was.. a tiny printer icon way up in the right hand portion of the screen where there is normally only the minimize and close icons. Some of the ways of navigating the screens are also less than intuitive. However, once you get it all figured out you can breeze through reports, importing, exporting, and getting your family tree built and published if you desire.

Remember to build your tree quickly as it comes with a 30 subscription to and if you sign up and forget then it will charge your credit card each month until you remember to cancel. Personally, I never liked a system that did that and believe it should warn you when the 30 days is about to expire and let you then agree to a monthly subscription at that time. I know it is common but it still raises and ethical issue is my opinion.

Still the best product on the market today for building your family tree. DisplayPort to VGA Video Adapter Converter - 1920x1200 - Display Port / DP Adapter M/F DisplayPort to VGA Video Adapter Converter - 1920x1200 - Display Port / DP Adapter M/F
Price: Click here to see our price
104 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to find but does what I needed, December 29, 2013
What can I say, I looked a long time for these and they were difficult to find. Plenty of DisplayPort to DVI but very few DisplayPort to VGA. It is built well, and I have six of them to add a second monitor to six systems. They work flawlessly and did exactly what I needed without any complications.

The system recognized the monitor instantly without the need to install drivers or anything else. Just plugged them in and connected the monitor and they worked. A great product if that is what you need.

Case Logic PDVD-9 7-9-Inch Dual Screen DVD Player, Black
Case Logic PDVD-9 7-9-Inch Dual Screen DVD Player, Black
Price: $27.19
7 used & new from $20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Was just what I needed and expected, December 29, 2013
Okay, I have a dual screen DVD player and needed a way to keep all the cords and connectors in one place as they were always getting misplaced on trips. My primary use was to attach the two monitors to the back of the front seats to keep kids quiet on a long trip.

The case came with a confusing selection of straps and connectors but looking through it I finally found simple pictures of how it was all to be connected and then it was easy to put together. It is made for a system where the screen on the primary player folds down into a protected position when the player is not in use. Mine does not do that. The screen is always exposed and folds down to put a new DVD into the system. But I was able to make it work with that system without any great difficulty.

The case, the straps, and everything that came with it are sturdily made and survived four days with a four year old without any damage. It was exactly what I needed and a great way to store the complete system when not in use as well as hold the system when it is in use.

Documentation could be better and could show alternative ways to use it when you have a system like mine with the outward facing monitor. Then again, if you have the more common system it should be no problem following the diagrams. A good purchase and I am very pleased with the quality.

TunePhonik iMX5 In-ear Headphones Stereo With Microphone Headset [Red/Black]
TunePhonik iMX5 In-ear Headphones Stereo With Microphone Headset [Red/Black]
Offered by Aleratec
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly comfortable and surprisingly good sound, December 29, 2013
Let me start with making it clear that I am and always have been a headset man. Earbuds are uncomfortable, they fall out when you move your head to the side quickly, the sound is inferior to a good headset, etc, etc. Now I have to rethink my position.

I opened the box with a sigh as I looked at the earbuds that would soon be invading the interior of my ears instead of gently coupling them like headphones should. I stuffed the ends into my ears and what do you know, they were comfortable. So, I plugged them into my laptop where I had had some good external speakers attached and knew how the songs should sound. Prepared for the disappointing performance I was surprised to hear clear and crisp high notes, no rumbling or muffling on the low notes and an overall good listening experience.

Okay, time to move to a more realistic experience and plug them into a smartphone. Again, the music quality was excellent for an earbud system. Out for my morning walk and even with the obligatory petting dogs, waving at the neighbors, etc, they never fell out nor felt uncomfortable. This was a first for me. Then the phone rang. A quick flip of the switch and I am on the phone!

Surely the tiny inline microphone would not do well given its small size. But the caller reported that it worked well and they could hear everything I said clearly.

What can I say, I was so tired of earbud manufacturers that over promise and underdeliver that I was expecting the same. But this manufacturer delivered on what they promised and at an amazing price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20