Profile for Harold McFarland > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 19198

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Harold McFarland RSS Feed (Florida)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
R.I.P.P.E.D. Total Body Challenge
R.I.P.P.E.D. Total Body Challenge
DVD ~ R.I.P.P.E.D. Total Body Challenge
Price: $10.86
27 used & new from $6.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD program and effective workout, March 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I would probably be classified as an intermediate level exerciser. I enjoy a good workout that makes me break a sweat but does not leave me overly sore the following day. Before writing this review I wanted to give it at least three weeks of consistent use.

The program requires about an hour of time if you include some time to set up and a quick shower afterward. One of the really nice things of the program is the variety of exercises included. The regular changes keep it from getting boring and the music makes keeping a beat with the exercise easy.

A few of the exercises require weights and you should invest in a set of dumbbells. You can still get a good workout without the weights but they add strength training to the program. I have to admit that this was one of the easiest routines to keep doing instead of getting bored and quitting after a week or so. Most importantly, I felt better and felt that I had a good workout each time but did not feel sore the next day. This is a truly enjoyable program that works and I recommend it as a sustainable program over the others that I have tried.

Don't Make Me Laugh
Don't Make Me Laugh
Price: $20.17
13 used & new from $14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun family game with young children, March 2, 2014
This review is from: Don't Make Me Laugh (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had the opportunity to play this game with a four and five year old. They both enjoyed the game and wanted to keep playing even when it was time to stop. The rules are simple and very easy to understand even for very young children.

I had my doubts as to whether it would keep young children entertained. I was pleasantly surprised at how much they got into it. While I had to read the cards, that was the only thing I had to do. I don't know how well it would do with older kids but the preschool and elementary should be big fans.

Jarrow Formulas Sleep Optimizer, 60 VCaps
Jarrow Formulas Sleep Optimizer, 60 VCaps
Price: $12.49
14 used & new from $9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely helpful in getting a better sleep, February 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First, I have no sleep issues. When my head hits the pillow I am out until morning. But I do know people with continuous complaints of being unable to fall to sleep or being unable to stay asleep once they do. So I gave it to them to see how it works.

The results were unanimous - they fell to sleep faster and had a more restful sleep. For one they still woke up often during the night but fell back to sleep quickly and easily. So, three people all reported very positive results.

The bottle was safety sealed and came as advertised (yes, I even counted the pills as I have received things that were fewer than advertised). The odor was not very pleasant but it is easy enough to gulp down one of the soft capsules quickly and be done with it. For those with difficulty getting a good night's sleep this certainly appears to be a very effective and professional quality product.

Quartet Magnetic Dry-Erase Calendar, 1-month, 11 x 14 Inches, Purple Frame (MHOP1114-PR)

3.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised as long as you have everything., January 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a simple small dry-erase board and works well for what it is supposed to do. The dry erase marker that comes with it cleans off well with the attached cleaner. The board has a hard plastic frame that provides a basic level of protection. The additional two magnets that come with it can be used to hold small notes to the board and are very useful for a short grocery list.
Because I often don't look ahead very far on a calendar I find that birthdays and other special occasions are upon me before I know it. So, I use the small round magnets to bring my eyes to special events and find them very useful for that.
So, why the three? Well a dry erase board only works with dry erase markers. No real surprise there, but how annoying and inconvenient is it when you lose the marker? Things are missed, not put on the calendar, etc., until you get around to getting another marker and then that one may also have a short life before it is lost. Recognizing this problem most of the ones I have seen have a pocket or something attached where the marker could be placed to keep it from getting lost. This product has nothing like that. It is only a matter of time, and probably a very short time, before it will be lost and was already misplaced twice in three days. There should be a place to put it built into the calendar or a way to attach a cord to it and the calendar or something. The product is already being used less in the family because of the need to look for the marker. If you are fastidious about everything being in its place you will love it, if not then it will probably often be a wall hanging more than a calendar.

Family Tree Maker, Essentials
Family Tree Maker, Essentials
Price: $39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Still the best product for geneology research, December 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Quite simply the best. I tried various other ones over the years and they never come up to the level of Family Tree Maker. That is not to say that they have not made some missteps because they have. One version was so slow that it was basically unusable if you have a large file. Not so with the last few iterations. It still starts slow but apparently that is in exchange for working at a decent speed once it is up and running.

This one works well and plenty fast even with a very large database. Of course one of its strongest features is the way that it integrates with ancestry.com. You can search ancestry.com from inside the product and then import the information directly into your family tree database including pictures, copies of the pages of the census records and similar. If you are new then it provides you with the resources to quickly build your family tree.

The only real problem with the software is the user interface. There are places where I wonder what they were thinking. I created a report and spent several minutes trying to figure out how to print it. I looked in the frame where the report was located and there was no print icon. Click File and no print option. Right click on the report and no print option. Then there it was.. a tiny printer icon way up in the right hand portion of the screen where there is normally only the minimize and close icons. Some of the ways of navigating the screens are also less than intuitive. However, once you get it all figured out you can breeze through reports, importing, exporting, and getting your family tree built and published if you desire.

Remember to build your tree quickly as it comes with a 30 subscription to Ancestry.com and if you sign up and forget then it will charge your credit card each month until you remember to cancel. Personally, I never liked a system that did that and believe it should warn you when the 30 days is about to expire and let you then agree to a monthly subscription at that time. I know it is common but it still raises and ethical issue is my opinion.

Still the best product on the market today for building your family tree.

StarTech.com DisplayPort to VGA Video Adapter Converter - 1920x1200 - Display Port / DP Adapter M/F
Price: Click here to see our price
90 used & new from $16.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to find but does what I needed, December 29, 2013
What can I say, I looked a long time for these and they were difficult to find. Plenty of DisplayPort to DVI but very few DisplayPort to VGA. It is built well, and I have six of them to add a second monitor to six systems. They work flawlessly and did exactly what I needed without any complications.

The system recognized the monitor instantly without the need to install drivers or anything else. Just plugged them in and connected the monitor and they worked. A great product if that is what you need.

Case Logic PDVD-9 7-9-Inch Dual Screen DVD Player, Black
Case Logic PDVD-9 7-9-Inch Dual Screen DVD Player, Black
Price: $24.99
7 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Was just what I needed and expected, December 29, 2013
Okay, I have a dual screen DVD player and needed a way to keep all the cords and connectors in one place as they were always getting misplaced on trips. My primary use was to attach the two monitors to the back of the front seats to keep kids quiet on a long trip.

The case came with a confusing selection of straps and connectors but looking through it I finally found simple pictures of how it was all to be connected and then it was easy to put together. It is made for a system where the screen on the primary player folds down into a protected position when the player is not in use. Mine does not do that. The screen is always exposed and folds down to put a new DVD into the system. But I was able to make it work with that system without any great difficulty.

The case, the straps, and everything that came with it are sturdily made and survived four days with a four year old without any damage. It was exactly what I needed and a great way to store the complete system when not in use as well as hold the system when it is in use.

Documentation could be better and could show alternative ways to use it when you have a system like mine with the outward facing monitor. Then again, if you have the more common system it should be no problem following the diagrams. A good purchase and I am very pleased with the quality.

Aleratec TunePhonik iMX5 In-Ear Headphones 3.5mm Premium Stereo Headset with In-line Microphone
Offered by Aleratec
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly comfortable and surprisingly good sound, December 29, 2013
Let me start with making it clear that I am and always have been a headset man. Earbuds are uncomfortable, they fall out when you move your head to the side quickly, the sound is inferior to a good headset, etc, etc. Now I have to rethink my position.

I opened the box with a sigh as I looked at the earbuds that would soon be invading the interior of my ears instead of gently coupling them like headphones should. I stuffed the ends into my ears and what do you know, they were comfortable. So, I plugged them into my laptop where I had had some good external speakers attached and knew how the songs should sound. Prepared for the disappointing performance I was surprised to hear clear and crisp high notes, no rumbling or muffling on the low notes and an overall good listening experience.

Okay, time to move to a more realistic experience and plug them into a smartphone. Again, the music quality was excellent for an earbud system. Out for my morning walk and even with the obligatory petting dogs, waving at the neighbors, etc, they never fell out nor felt uncomfortable. This was a first for me. Then the phone rang. A quick flip of the switch and I am on the phone!

Surely the tiny inline microphone would not do well given its small size. But the caller reported that it worked well and they could hear everything I said clearly.

What can I say, I was so tired of earbud manufacturers that over promise and underdeliver that I was expecting the same. But this manufacturer delivered on what they promised and at an amazing price.

MegaRed Omega 3 Krill Oil + Multivitamin Supplement, 60 Count
MegaRed Omega 3 Krill Oil + Multivitamin Supplement, 60 Count
Offered by Broadway Bargains
Price: $11.75
44 used & new from $6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for a vitamin and Omega-3 combination pill, November 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have taken MegaRed before and it seems to be a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids. The one thing I hated with the MegaRed was the strong fishy smell of the pills. They went down well and did not create fishy breath or anything but I just hated opening the bottle and getting the odor. This version of the product with the multivitamin still has a minor fish smell but it is much, much more tolerable. So, it is a win/win situation. You get a multivitamin and the Omega-3 and a much milder smell. This I can live with.

Miracle-Gro AeroGarden ULTRA Indoor Garden with Gourmet Herb Seed Kit
Miracle-Gro AeroGarden ULTRA Indoor Garden with Gourmet Herb Seed Kit
Price: $202.88
10 used & new from $161.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice way to grow herbs inside. Very nice results., November 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have had this for three weeks now and am very happy with the growth of the herbs that I planted. Setup was easy and the instructions clear. Simply set up the container and put the pre-planted pods into the holes. It really is that simple.
This particular model has a timer that you set based on the type of plants you plant and tells you how long they have been planted and when it is time to add more fertilizer. So, there is really no room for error.... at least when setting it up.
The instructions leave one item unclear.... they state to put the pod into the hole and leave the cardboard cover as well as the lid on the pod. That makes sense... but it gives no instructions on when to remove the lid or the cardboard cover. I removed them when the plants were tall enough to touch the cover and it seems to have worked fine.
So, all in all I have been happy with the product but there is one big problem. Based on the reading and instructions and information on their website, the system goes through a germination stage where the irrigation is done different than afterward. This is based on how many weeks it has been since the seeds were planted. Well, I had a power outage and the clock was off as a result. So, when I looked at the display and it indicated there had been a power interruption I indicated that I wanted to reset the clock. When I did the Number of Days planted went back to zero and the Number of Days before adding fertilizer reset to zero despite the fact that it had been six days.
So another power interruption and and I chose not to reset the clock and apparently the days planted and before fertilization had been saved and it was all correct. So, problem solved.. never reset the clock.
But another power blip and I chose not to reset the clock but it still reset the days planted back to zero. I don't know if the different irrigation patterns make much difference but there is no way to reset the days planted and days to fertilization to the correct numbers once there has been a power outage. A quick check of the Internet and I see that this has been a regular question and problem for a lot of users.
Still, the plants are growing well and everything seems fine and I am happy with the results. So, apparently the system reset made little if any difference on the plant growth. My biggest real problem is keeping the cat from chewing on the chives.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2014 7:05 AM PDT