Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Steve C > Reviews

Browse

Steve C's Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Steve C RSS Feed

Acer Aspire E 15, 15.6 Full HD, Intel Core i5, NVIDIA 940MX, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, Windows 10, E5-575G-53VG
Price: $549.99
14 used & new from $499.00

5.0 out of 5 stars At this price point the Acer E15 delivers., June 5, 2016
I thought I was done with laptops. For the last 5 years most of my web browsing was done with android tablets or phones. I decided I wanted to take up writing. Three weeks of using my 6 year old 7+ lb Gateway 17” desktop replacement was enough.

I was tired of suffering through the lag, freeze ups, long start ups and shut downs. I was desperately in need of a new laptop. What I wanted was a quick, light laptop with good battery life that hopefully had a backlit keyboard.

SSDs are really what make pcs fast. Even with a slower processor, having a ssd can keep a system from slowing down for quite awhile. I have a 5 year old desktop with an i5 and 8 gb ram and it still flies mostly because it has an 128gb ssd in it. I was very happy to see that this laptop had a 256gb sdd.

It flies through anything I'd throw at it, which is word processing, browsing, and other low-end uses. It looks like you can play pretty much any game on this with varying settings that came out in 2015 thanks to the NVIDIA 940mx. I love that even with battery saver mode in use I can be working on my laptop 16 seconds after I push the power button. With the i5 and 8gb ram this system should be snappy for years to come.

The battery life on this Aspire is really good. My first day I got around 8 hours with 19% battery life left when I turned it off. That's with downloading and installing lots of apps and one round of updates with about a half hour of youtube video watching using the external speakers. I did use the power saver function for roughly half the time. So another box got checked. I currently have the screen brightness set at 25% and it is more than bright enough to use inside with the blinds closed during the day.

The backlit keyboard is a nice feature. It does the job. It turns off when not in use. Once you hit any key it turns back on. You can toggle this by hitting the Fn and F9 key at the same time.

The external speakers sound good, or as good as non elite laptop speakers would be equipped with. They're loud and sound fine. If you plan on hating on laptop speakers wtf is wrong with you? Laptops aren't home entertainment centers. Put on some headphones!

I've heard some people complain about the touchpad. I used it for about 10 minutes. It took some getting used to, but I didn't find it bad. Of course I always use a wireless mouse. I can't fathom using a touchpad unless I absolutely can't help it.

The last thing on my list of wants was a light laptop. This isn't on the low end of light, weighing in at 5.3 lbs. If you want a new laptop that has the features this one does and weighs less than 5 lbs you're going to have to shell out a lot more money than $550. I was pretty surprised the macbook air competitors under $750 didn't have backlit keyboards. For me 5 lbs is pretty light.

In conclusion, this has everything you could want in a laptop at this price point. Sure there are some trade offs. I really don't need a disc drive, I would've liked a better display, not that it's bad. Having some quick buttons outside of the keyboard also would've been nice. If these are things you really want in a laptop AND you want the hardware and features that the Aspire E 15 delivers then you better be ready to spend a lot more dough. Ultimately it comes down to one question. Am I happy I purchased this laptop? Enthusiastically I would say yes.

Pros:

The main hardware - i5, 8gb of ram, 256gb ssd, 940mx video card.

Backlit keyboard - Why isn't this standard for most non budget laptops?

Quick start up and shutdown - Your results may vary but for me it was 16 seconds and less than 10 seconds respectively unplugged.

Cons:

Build quality – It looks nice from far away and then you notice it has fake brushed aluminum. It still looks fine close up. Look, you paid $550 for all this awesome hardware, deal with it!

No dedicated button – My previous 2 laptops both had buttons independent of the keyboard for common uses like volume up, volume down, mute, touch pad on/off, wifi. You have to use the fn key + another key to do those things.

You don't need a touchpad on/off since windows 10 does that for you automatically if you want. I mapped the volume buttons to my bluetooth mouse. Turning off wifi is as easy as left clicking the wifi icon in the taskbar then click again for airplane mode. Adjusting screen brightness is as easy as clicking the battery icon on the taskbar then clicking the brightness adjust button. The power button is part of the keyboard which might turn some people off. It doesn't really matter to me.

Screen: It's not the best screen I've seen. I like that it's not glossy as I find those that are to be hard to read. It's certainly not a deal breaker. Gasp it's not touchscreen! Uh, who cares!? A keyboard and mouse is always superior to a touchscreen. I really don't understand why people need one. No touchscreen is in the pro category for me since I'd rather have my money go to something else like a backlit keyboard.

Battery placement: It looks like you need a screwdriver to take it out. Since battery life is so good you shouldn't find too many instances where you would need to swap out batteries.

I'd give this 3 stars if this laptop was as good as I would think a laptop at this price point should be. The backlit keyboard and video card bump this up to 4.5 stars.

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4-Inch Tablet - Black (Certified Refurbished)
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4-Inch Tablet - Black (Certified Refurbished)
Offered by Legendary Juny
2 used & new from $499.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Refurbished like new just as was advertised., February 23, 2015
This is more of a review of the seller if you want a review of the tablet you can find that somewhere else. Tablet came in a plain box, manual, and charger. The Tab was in like new condition, I've had this for about 3 days with no problems. btw the tablet is great. To get this good of a quality product for $220 if fantastic.

****1 year 4 month update ****
Still going strong. The only hiccup is occasionally it gets disconnected from the Internet, but quickly reconnects.

Droid Turbo Ballistic Nylon Case, Diztronic Full Matte TPU Case for Motorola Droid Turbo (Fits Ballistic Nylon Version Only) - Matte Red - (TBN-FM-RED)
Offered by Diztronic
Price: $9.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit, perfect price., January 12, 2015
I've got the droid turbo with the ballistic nylon and I find it gets a bit slick when trying to hold it especially while hitting the back button. Why, oh why did motorola decide that was a good place for the back button. So I went looking for a case since i've dropped my phone already, on the concrete no less, and came upon the diztronic tpu case. The case fit perfectly and it's grippy enough that I can hit that far away back button without fear of dropping my phone. I also like that the power and volume buttons are easier to use with the case. I'm not sure how well the case will protect your phone since it is relatively thin. It will protect the phone from dents and scratches if you drop it. Also it's nice that there's a lip on the front to keep the screen from making direct contact with the ground. I was more looking for something that would provide grip that was slim then some bad ass heavy duty, pocket space using case. That is why this case is perfect for me. For the price you can't beat it.

Just an fyi I did drop my phone without a case from about 4 feet high on concrete and only suffered some dings on the bevel, so imo a heavy duty case isn't needed unless you work with heavy tools and really need the added protection.

Norpro 1061 Taco Press
Norpro 1061 Taco Press
Price: $5.98
21 used & new from $4.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Flawed Product., August 17, 2014
This review is from: Norpro 1061 Taco Press (Kitchen)
This taco mold sucks. Don't believe anything else you read that it molds taco shells well. This is a completely flawed product. It molds tacos so that the crease is a V shape. You want a more U shape so that your taco shells don't break apart when eating. Do not buy!!!

SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker Starter Kit, Cherry Red
SodaStream Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker Starter Kit, Cherry Red
Price: $101.36
2 used & new from $68.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The SodaStream is right for me. Your experience may vary., February 21, 2014
I gave this 5 stars because it does what it's supposed to do – it carbonates water and has reasonably decent build quality. Before you buy a sodastream I think you need to know why you're buying it. Cost savings and ease of use will vary.

Some things to consider:

-what do you plan on drinking
Here's how I'd rate sodastreams syrups to the name brand counterpart:

Fountain Mist F
Mountain Dew B+
Fountain Mist is AWFUL it has a super nasty aftertaste and isn't sweet at all.

Diet Fountain Mist D-
Diet Mountain Dew C-
Again sodastream's version has an awful aftertaste.

Root Beer D+
A&W Root Beer A
The root beer had the same problem as fountain mist it just wasn't sweet enough and had a very obvious bad aftertaste.

Diet Orange C
Diet Orange Crush C+
I found these to be pretty close, sodasstream's version wasn't as sweet but still pretty good.

Diet Pink Grapefruit C+
I've never had this flavor in any other brand. Tastes pretty darn good for diet.

Diet Cola F
Diet Pepsi C-
Again just an awful aftertaste.

Energy Drink C-
Monster C
I didn't notice much difference between the 2

Crystal Light Kiwi Strawberry Energy Drink C+
I don't have anything to compare this to except regular energy drinks and I'd take this over a regular monster any day.

As you can see in my experience the regular pop flavors are awful, if you look at the ingredients they have sweeteners in them instead of having a load of high fructose corn syrup you find in a regular pop which accounts for the awful aftertaste and lack of sweetness.

So I write all this to say if you plan on substituting your mountain dew addiction for sodastream's equivalent you'll have another thing coming. I'll stop here and suggest that if you plan on buying a sodastream buy this somewhere local and try out the flavors. You can't return the sodastream to amazon because the sodastream's carbonation tank is hazardous or something. If you find a flavor you like then you might be on the right track where you might want to buy this thing.

Also if you want decent regular pop flavoring you can buy 1 and 5 gallon boxes of off brand syrups which will most likely taste better than sodastream crap. You can find these on amazon and sams club. The downside is your price per syrup box will vary and may or not make it cost effective to go the sodastream route, not to mention the space a box will take up or the ease of using a big box of syrup vs buying premade store bought pop.

-how much money if any the sodastream will save you, this might be the main reason you might consider the sodastream

In my situation I'm an ahole that doesn't recycle pop cans. I also don't go shopping around for deals or buy off brands. So basically I spend about $4 for a 12 pack of diet pepsi. That works out to about 40 cents a can after tax and recycle deposit. One can of pop works out to about 22 cents for me on the sodastream. That's a pretty big savings. Where this might not come out the same for you is if you can't recycle your co2 tanks at a local store. If that's the case it gets really close since you'll be paying for shipping. Thankfully I have local walmart and bed, bath, and beyond stores I can trade in a 60L canisters for $15.

If you don't have a local place to trade in a canister, you're diligent in recycling, and you buy off brand/or get great deals on pop you may or may not save money.

-how easy you think it is to make the drinks you want

For the sodastream flavors I liked it's a matter of connecting a bottle to the sodastream, pumping a button, pouring the syrup into the bottle, cleaning the bottle when I'm done, filling w/water, and putting the bottle in the fridge for the next day. It's quite a bit more work than grabbing a can of pop out of the fridge. If you get a box of syrup you have the added task of figuring the best way to get a box of syrup into your bottle.

In conclusion if you're someone who likes diet drinks and you don't shop around for the absolute cheapest deals at your local grocers and you don't return pop cans/bottles the sodastream is most likely for you if you have a local retailer that will swap canisters for $15..

If you're someone who likes drinking lots of regular pop and thinks they'll just buy a sodastream and some sodastream syrup and hallelujah you now can make all the pop you want w/out trips to the grocery store you might want to hold off buying a sodastream.

Whatever you drink you can always find knock off brands or good sales and end up coming about even or a little ahead when compared to drinking sodastream soda.

SodaStream Crystal Light Wild Strawberry Energy Drink Syrup, 500mL
SodaStream Crystal Light Wild Strawberry Energy Drink Syrup, 500mL

5.0 out of 5 stars I drink a 500ml of this every morning, February 21, 2014
Overall this is one of the best tasting sodastream flavors I've tasted. The other flavors I like are the diet orangeand the diet pink grapefruit. When I give this 5 stars I'm not saying it's 5 stars for the taste, it's 5 stars for a diet energy drink. I've tried regular rockstar, monster, and other store bought energy drinks. I actually prefer this to those. I'm thinking about putting in half a serving of the syrup and see how that wakes me up.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1-Inch, Wi-Fi) 2012 Model
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1-Inch, Wi-Fi) 2012 Model
Offered by BATEKHS
Price: $233.99
62 used & new from $105.00

4.0 out of 5 stars My First Tablet, May 14, 2012
My mom bought last year's 8.9 model last week and I fell in love with it, so I bought the new 10.1 tab 2. This is my 4th day with it and I absolutely love it. I've been wanting a tablet for over a year(I love tech toys) and finally couldn't take messing around with one that wasn't mine so I had to buy one. I have a 17" laptop that only gets 1.5 hrs on a charge and wanted something smaller that I could do easy internet stuff like twitter, facebook, surfing, and listening to internet radio, podcasts, and music that was smaller and more mobile then my ginormous laptop. While shopping around I essentially looked at mid-priced android tablets, mostly because of my angst toward apple thanks to the awfulness of itunes software.

The other tablet that really caught my eye was the Asus Transformer TF300. You can do an easy google search to see where the transformer shines where the galaxy doesn't and vice versa. Ultimately storage space wasn't a huge deal for me and I really have no need for an hdmi out. What won me over the transformer is the display of the galaxy and it is night and day difference for me. Since browsing the internet is 90% of what I'll use a tablet for a great display, where samsung truly shines, was worth more to me then a better speced out transformer. For anyone looking to buy a new 10.1" tablet definitely give the transformer a look. I also would suggest looking at the Motorola Xoom.

Pros:
- size, probably one of the smaller 10.1" mid level tablets
- display is bright and crisp, text is very easy to read even when I have screen brightness all the way turned down
- infrared sensor that can be used to control your home entertainment center (a very nice option if you don't have a cool awesome logitech harmony remote)
- battery life has been great also among the top of the midlevel tablets(do a google search)

Cons:
- long battery charge time, not a big deal as I'm mostly going to recharge at night
- no stock hdmi out
- the wtf so tiny charging cord, I mean really who wants a short charging cord? Makes no sense to me
- no standard usb port, instead they have an applelike proprietary port
- feels like for the price there should be some kind of hdmi out and 32 gb of hard drive space instead of 16

Because of the last con I can't give this tablet 5 stars, instead it gets 4.
Comment Comments (32) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2013 11:22 AM PST