Profile for Marin Todorov > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Marin Todorov RSS Feed

APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur-How to Publish a Book
APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur-How to Publish a Book
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for self publishers, December 13, 2012
I'll be short in this review (as I just published a full bodied blog post about the book here :
[...]

The book is a very useful read for any self publisher. If you consider writing, recording music or anything else that usually involves a traditional 20th century middle-man, who gets the juicy cut and leaves you with miserable 50c income per copy sold before taxes - this book is definitely for you.

It'll provide you with tons of information, including links to services for self publishing, download materials and more.

Highly recommended.

Mars is a Bummer, Man
Mars is a Bummer, Man
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars surprising short story, March 25, 2012
I must say that I was more than pleasantly surprised by Frank's short story.

First half consist of an excellent conversation - nay - a debate on the different points of view on the first piloted mission to Mars. The scene leaves you in kinda of a limbo since you can't really decide which point of view is more valid.

then vigorously kicks in the underplot which takes you to a whole new setting - Frank takes you into a stressed and intense situation, where you only need to follow the effortlessly flowing prose. I also appressiated he didin't overstuff the text with too much sci-fi mumbo jumbo.

crime, sci-fi, deep social commentary - it all comes together by the end to bring a great closing to both plots and you are glad to see protagonist's dream come true.

Of Rats and Men
Of Rats and Men
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent writing, November 14, 2011
This review is from: Of Rats and Men (Kindle Edition)
I much enjoyed Frank's previous - "Mars is a Bummer, Man" and naturally got "Of Rats and Men" on my iPod the moment I saw it's online.

The novelette is a huge leap forward for Frank - his style much refined (even though having much less dialogue) flavored by a rich, precise vocabulary goes down smooth like the finest cognac in the house. With its Camus-like deepness (turning Kafka-esque precisely at the middle) the book kept me galloping through the pages till it was finished and much enjoyed.

The rich background of the story could've been stretched over a full-length book, but in the end you appreciate that Frank condensed it to a digestible size making it a perfect read on the train home or your lunch break.

I definitely recommend it

iPhone and iPad Apps Marketing: Secrets to Selling Your iPhone and iPad Apps (Que Biz-Tech)
by Jeffrey F. Hughes
Price: $24.80
85 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Too vague for my taste, June 28, 2011
To me the book text sounds like a half-heartedly executed commissioned job on a topic the author does not know much about.

Here follow some excerpts from the book which I would've loved to read before buying, so I know what kind of vague "advices" are inside:

"... you can get lots of ideas by simply searching a particular topic in Google for ideas..."

"In the mobile economy, people are reading less when it comes to their communications."

"An effective iPhone/iPad app name can help increase your sales ... "

"Testimonials, especially from well-known publications, can influence your sales."

Nineteen Eighty-Four, Centennial Edition
Nineteen Eighty-Four, Centennial Edition
by George Orwell
Price: $15.51
273 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a must read, April 21, 2011
1984 is the biggest achievement of Eric Blair as a novelist and anybody even slightly interested in politics, history or the future should give it a read. I think 1984 is one of the few books which you can't skip reading and just watch the movie. Very detailed, very thorough, very challenging - the book is more than 50 years old, and yet very very current. I've read it more than 5 times now, but the paperback copy from amazon is definitely the nicest edition I've had - printed on something that looks like recycled paper, roughly cut and printed in weird, but nice font - I recommend buying it.

Rework
Rework
by David Heinemeier Hansson
Price: $13.10
211 used & new from $5.97

1.0 out of 5 stars Barely a book; trying to turn 1 business case into a methodology, March 22, 2011
This review is from: Rework (Hardcover)
I was quite excited when I ordered Rework as 37signals are close to becoming a legend in the IT world. Unfortunately the books was so boring that I just abandoned reading it after some 20-30 pages. The authors try very hard to present their success as a business model for others to follow, but it's just not one.

If I'd seen even the first few pages before the purchase I guess I'd already know not to order it, so my advice is - don't order blindly after seeing Jason Fried talking about how people at his company don't work Fridays

The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich (Expanded and Updated)
by Timothy Ferriss
Price: $11.82
253 used & new from $7.62

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible positive boost, March 20, 2011
After the first 50 pages I realized two things: 1) Tim Ferris has an amazing vocabulary and way to express himself in an engaging and charming way (envy you a lot for this Tim) and 2) the book was describing what I was already going trough in the last 4-5 months, so I enjoyed reading it immensely. I can tell you it has given me such an enormous positive energy boost that even if it was not for the tons of useful information (some of it painfully outdated) it would've been worth it :)