Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for A Reader > Reviews

Browse

A Reader's Profile

Customer Reviews: 114

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A Reader RSS Feed (St. Peters, MO United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Java Programming Interviews Exposed
Java Programming Interviews Exposed
by Noel Markham
Price: $30.32
45 used & new from $6.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A great overview of Java and common interview questions, October 20, 2015
This book was very helpful to me preparing for an interview. I had worked through the core algorithms in chapter 4 and popular interview algorithms in chapter 7. The focus of the interview I went into was not so much asking a lot of questions, which actually scared me more, but sitting down in front of a laptop and being asked to solve a couple problems. The first one was straight out of chapter 7 of this book, so I immediately recognized it and knew what to do. The second problem in the interview wasn't one I ran across in this book, but involved the use of skills that I was able to practice with the book. I had limited time to study, and I'm a procrastinator anyway, so I skimmed most of the book in order to review some things I've done in the past. I was impressed by the amount of information covered in such a slim volume. I plan to continue studying the book and use it as a quick reference in the future.

NHibernate 3.0 Cookbook
NHibernate 3.0 Cookbook
by Jason Dentler
Price: $44.99
45 used & new from $8.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak, February 28, 2015
At first I thought this book was good, but the more I tried to follow the examples the more I realized they are incomplete. I downloaded the code off the publisher's web site and found it doesn't include any complete running examples. The examples are partial implementations of console applications. It is difficult to put the pieces together, because the chapters build upon one another without ever giving you all the details. Many of the examples are also too simple to be useful. I couldn't find a single example of how to do a query with a join on two tables.

Guide to the Scrum Body of Knowledge (SBOK Guide)
Guide to the Scrum Body of Knowledge (SBOK Guide)
by SCRUMstud
4 used & new from $39.95

1.0 out of 5 stars confusing to people new to scrum, January 30, 2015
I am a certified scrum master who has practiced scrum for several years. Somebody at my work got the digital version of this book and started giving it to co-workers. One of my co-workers started asking questions about terminology used in the book and it was terminology I had never heard before. So, I also got the digital version and found the book to be worse than useless. Scrum is simple to learn but hard to master. It can be described in a few pages and does not need a tome like this that makes it seem more complex than what it is. I do not judge the motives of the people who wrote the book, but just want to point out that this is not the place to learn scrum. Learn it from the official sources.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2015 8:46 PM PST

Emotional Vampires: Dealing with People Who Drain You Dry, Revised and Expanded 2nd Edition
by Albert J. Bernstein
Price: $9.23
104 used & new from $3.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowledge is power, May 21, 2014
Some reviewers seem not to have even read the book. The author repeatedly warns that the best approach sometimes is avoiding such people, but some reviewers seem to have missed that point entirely somehow. Unfortunately, you cannot always avoid these people, and you may not recognize what is going on until the damage is already done. Unfortunately, I know this from personal experience. I got involved with an emotional vampire and it nearly ruined my life because I did not recognize the warning signs. After reading the book I understand now what was motivating this individual and why I should not have trusted her. Knowledge is power. You are wasting your time if you try to deal with somebody with a personality disorder expecting them to act as you would. The author not only teaches you how to recognize these people for what they are but then gives practical advice for how to deal with them if you have to or choose to. I think I will read this book more than once, because I am sure to run into more emotional vampires in the future and don't want to be taken in by them again.

28 Weeks Later
28 Weeks Later
DVD
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth watching if you liked the first one, November 4, 2013
This review is from: 28 Weeks Later (Amazon Video)
Not a bad movie for the zombie genre if you like that type of movie. If you don't there's not much to recommend it. The first movie was good although a little slow in places. However, it had a unique take on the zombie genre. In fact, they aren't really zombies in these movies (depending upon what your definition is I guess), but still you could see how 28 Days Later influenced the Walking Dead TV show from the very beginning where both start out with a guy waking up from a coma. Anyway, this second movie has a decent cast with a couple of recognizable American actors and a mix of British actors that I didn't necessarily recognize. Good acting isn't really much of a requirement for a movie like this, but the acting wasn't bad. There isn't much plot to the movie. In a way it is like a scarier and more violent version of Jurassic Park with a boy and his older sister trapped on an island and trying to escape from monsters with the aid of a few adults. I wouldn't want to go into much more detail about the plot and spoil it. However, one scene had the kids wandering in the dark and although I didn't find the scene particularly scary to view I bet it was a scary scene for a child actor to be in. They probably had nightmares from that. The boy in the movie doesn't seem to have done any acting since this movie which makes me curious if he had a bad experience being in this movie. Overall, a pretty good sequel and worth watching if you liked the first movie.

The Chess-player's Handbook
The Chess-player's Handbook
by Howard Staunton
34 used & new from $0.02

4.0 out of 5 stars A cheaply printed classic, October 18, 2013
I am not one who usually complains about the use of the older notation style, but I was quite surprised after buying this book that it's not even the descriptive notation that I am used to from mid-20th century books but a longer way of writing descriptive notation. So, instead of writing P-K4 Staunton writes "P. to King's 4th." It is that way throughout the book. So, be warned. This is different from what the previous reviewer stated. Interestingly, the algebraic notation that is the standard today was not unknown to Staunton. He, in fact, describes it on page 501 and states that it is used by German authors.

I got this book used and cheap so I can't complain that much, but unfortunately the pages are yellowing already since it is printed on such cheap paper. Maybe that is to be expected from a printing that is as of this writing almost 20 years old. I wish I knew how other printers such as Ishi Press compare.

The forward by Raymond Keene doesn't even take up a full page. By contrast, the Ishi Press edition, which is a reprint of a later edition edited by E.H. Bermingham around 1919 contains a preface by Bermingham and another written in 2009 by Sam Sloane. The Bermingham edited edition contained 543 pages whereas this reprint of the first edition contains 518 pages. I'm not sure how much value the additional 25 pages adds. On the down side, with the Ishi Press edition you are not getting Staunton's original work but an edited version. And while it supposedly contains additional information from Staunton's Chess Praxis, somehow it only adds 25 pages even though the Praxis a book over 600 pages long.

I don't want to take away from Staunton's achievement by too much concentration on the printing quality which naturally will vary. This is a huge and amazing book. I think a beginner could get a lot of value from this book and there is plenty there for experts to study as well (note I am not a chess expert). The best feature of this book is it provides numerous games sparsely annotated by Staunton split arranged by opening. This is the largest part of the book. However, there is also general information for beginners such as rules and general advice. There is also a section on end game play and a chapter of chess problems.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars nice old-fashioned shaving mug, terrible aftershave, September 26, 2013
You can easily find this mug on auction sites, but not usually in the original box with a full (or nearly full as I think some leaked out during shipping) after shave bottle.

I was assuming after shaves would have a shelf life and this stuff was probably no good anymore, but I read online that Avon fragrances generally are very stable and still usable many years later (with the exception of a fragrance called Oland). So, I decided to try it and about a hour later I was washing it off. I am not surprised Avon does not sell this stuff anymore. Some people online say it literally smells like leather, but to me it didn't smell like anything I have smelled before that I can recall and I didn't like it.

The mug has a nice old-fashioned look and the one I got seems to be in brand new condition. Also, there is an added nostalgia for me in that it reminds me of the days when my mother was an "Avon lady" back when Avon sold everything in decorative containers. You just don't see after shave bottle shaped like cars anymore. There is even an aftershave bottle shaped like a shaving brush and one shaped like a DE razor.

Only negative I have with this mug is that it is too narrow. Larger shave soaps won't fit in the mug. So, I use it to hold shaving accessories and have another mug for my soap.

Van Der Hagen Men's Luxury, Unscented Soap, 3.5 Ounce (Pack of 3)
Van Der Hagen Men's Luxury, Unscented Soap, 3.5 Ounce (Pack of 3)
Price: $14.97
5 used & new from $13.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Have had good luck with Van Der Hagen, September 26, 2013
I really like Van Der Hagen soaps. The first one I tried was the regular scented one that came with a bowl. I decided to try the unscented soap found here since I figure I don't need the extra perfumes. I was surprised to find that this soap is clear, so no artificial coloring either. The soap is very slippery, which I think contributes to a good shave. And it is a perfect fit for my late 50s to early 60s Old Spice mug (the one that says "Shaving Mug" on the side) which I got from an online auction. (Shaving mugs used to come in all shapes and sizes.)

I first tried Van Der Hagen because they are affordable and one of the few brands that still make brush and mug shaving products that I could find in local stores. I will keep using their soaps, because they produce a great lather and feel good on the face.

Just a little tip if you like your lather to be warm: Partially fill your sink with hot water and set your mug in the hot water while you shower. Also, put some hot water in another shaving mug (if you have two) with your brush upside down in the hot water (I don't totally submerse my brush, because I think that might contribute to early loss of bristles). When you get out of your shower while you finish drying empty and refill the sink, put a little hot water in the mug (which you will dump before you begin lathering) and refresh the hot water your brush is soaking in. Finish drying and get ready for your best shave ever.

Clubman Pinaud After Shave Lotion, 6 Ounce
Clubman Pinaud After Shave Lotion, 6 Ounce
Offered by Mighty Gadget (USA Merchant)
Price: $7.19
76 used & new from $2.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scent if you shake well before each use, September 16, 2013
So, I discovered that the scent of the Clubman after shave is noticeably different and less pleasant when the bottle has been sitting for a while, so make sure to shake it before each use. This may account for some people who said they didn't like it.

I recently saw the razor commercial by the Pawn Stars guy and decided to try an old-school safety razor, not the one they were selling on TV but a quality one off Amazon. Anyway, I decided while I'm going old-school I might as well get some old-school after shave and I doubt you could get more old-school than a brand that has been around for over 200 years.

I definitely like it, but the real judge of whether this is any good is the lady in your life. My wife said I smelled good, so for me it's a winner.

Van Der Hagen Premium Shave Bowl & Soap (Pack of 3)
Van Der Hagen Premium Shave Bowl & Soap (Pack of 3)
Price: $27.97

4.0 out of 5 stars why 3 pack?, September 11, 2013
I can see buying a 3 pack of the soaps, but I don't need 3 bowls. Or is it 1 bowl and 3 soaps? Anyway, I bought this bowl and soap locally for less than a third of the 3-pack price here, so buying in bulk doesn't always save money. Hence the one star deduction. I also bought the matching brush. Not really much to say about this. It's a bowl and soap. I don't have much experience with shaving soap, but it seemed to be fine to me. I will say that it has a pleasant scent and doesn't leave my skin feeling dry. The bowl looks nice and the soap fits in it, so it serves its purpose. No need to spend the money for a more expensive one unless you just don't like the style. My memory is that my grandfather used an old coffee mug, but it could have been an Old Spice shaving mug or something similar. You can find quite a variety of vintage shaving mugs on auction sites.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12