Profile for BookWorm > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

BookWorm RSS Feed (Carson City, NV United States)

Page: 1 | 2
The Goldfinch: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction)
The Goldfinch: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction)
by Donna Tartt
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $45.00
37 used & new from $23.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Never read a book quite like this before, December 31, 2013
I have never read a book quite like this before. The characters are richly drawn, the story intriguing, full of drugs, crime, the only thing missing is sex. At one point I had to put it down for a few days just to take a break. While this is certainly an ambitious effort, it is at times plodding and too wordy. I liked the book but only 3 stars worth.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Sound worked but would not charge, November 17, 2013
Do not waste your time on this Sound worked but Did not charge iphone 5 at all defiantly would not recommend

Time Flies: A Novel
Time Flies: A Novel
by Claire Cook
Price: $18.24
90 used & new from $1.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick read and fun, but too silly, June 19, 2013
This review is from: Time Flies: A Novel (Hardcover)
I have to start by saying I normally LOVE Claire Cook's books. My expectations are a quick read, fun, likeable main character, and upbeat ending. Time Flies met all those criteria, but it was just too silly for me. The emails with the high school boyfriend, the ridiculous high school reunion committee plans, the chase with the trucker, the predictable husband, and the conveniently available restaurant owner, were all combined simply too much. I know I'll read her next book and have hopes it will be better.

ePulse2 Strapless Heart Rate Monitor Watch & Calorie Counter
ePulse2 Strapless Heart Rate Monitor Watch & Calorie Counter
Offered by Heart Rate Monitors USA
Price: $83.50
15 used & new from $40.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product but should have lasted longer, June 15, 2013
I am replacing an epulse2 that I bought nearly two years ago for $40 more. I'd heard mixed reviews from people at my gym, but I loved it. It is far superior to wearing a band around your waist. I am replacing because the charger will no longer fit in the connector. It appears a part broke inside, probably because the dust cap snapped off within the first few months. I think it should have lasted longer than it did, but I am replacing it because I really like it compared to other types of heart monitors.

My Foot Is Too Big for the Glass Slipper: A Guide to the Less Than Perfect Life
My Foot Is Too Big for the Glass Slipper: A Guide to the Less Than Perfect Life
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $9.73

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have written a smoothie cookbook instead, May 31, 2013
I bought this book for a light read to take on vacation after reading an excerpt in Oprah. It met that expectation but no more, I couldn't wait for it to be over. The excerpt did not prepare me for what the book what really about. Gabrielle Reece is privileged but comes across as an unassuming and "real" person. I just didn't need to hear her opinions on parenting, exercising, eating & having sex with her husband. Maybe a young woman with chidren with find a lot more to like in this book than I did.
I love Karen Karbo's writing, but found no evidence of her in this one. With all of the talk about smoothies, I am waiting for Gabrielle to write a smoothie cookbook. I'll buy that when it comes out.

Kinsey and Me: Stories
Kinsey and Me: Stories
by Sue Grafton
Price: $19.95
317 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Two books within one, January 17, 2013
This review is from: Kinsey and Me: Stories (Hardcover)
I've read all of the Kinsey Milhone books and loved them, always looking forward to the next release. When I heard about this book I was disappointed that it wasn't the next alphabet book. However, being a Sue Grafton fan, I had to read this too. The first short stories about Kinsey are a bit hokey. Sue Grafton has come a long way in her craft since she wrote most of these. It is the stories in the second half of the book that are the most memorable. These short stories are dark, gut wrenching, and so so real. Being the child of an alcoholic, I felt every emotion she wrote about. The writing is superb. I had no idea Sue Grafton was that good of a writer. I have a new respect for her as an author and for the life she has led.

Me Before You: A Novel
Me Before You: A Novel
by Jojo Moyes
Price: $17.87
125 used & new from $5.25

4.0 out of 5 stars A gem!, January 10, 2013
This review is from: Me Before You: A Novel (Hardcover)
I bought this book after reading a favorable review in USA Today. The subject sounded intriguing so I downloaded a sample to my iPad. When I finished reading the sample, I was so caught up in the story that I immediately purchased the book. I read it in two days and was in tears at the end. Not the type of book I normally read as I'm primarily a non-fiction reader. So glad I decided to read this one.
The main character is extremely likeable and I hope the author writes a sequel. I found reading about the British culture interesting. My only complaint is the switching of who is telling the story at times. The first time it happened I was confused. If the author was going to use that technique she should have included a chapter with Will's voice.
Overall, I have to highly recommend this gem of a book. I can't wait to read more from this author.

The Longest Way Home: One Man's Quest for the Courage to Settle Down
The Longest Way Home: One Man's Quest for the Courage to Settle Down
by Andrew McCarthy
Price: $19.13
165 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Soul-baring memoir, October 5, 2012
I was intrigued after reading a review in USA Today so I bought the book, Kindle version. About a quarter of the way into the book, I decided he was a jerk but I kept reading. Ultimately, he is an introverted loner, struggling to be true to himself and love his growing family. Being an introverted loner myself, I easily related to his struggle to let others into his life.
This is soul-baring memoir first and a travelogue second. McCarthy's writing is fresh, honest, and to the point without using too many flowery adjectives.
Andrew McCarthy an award winning travel writer? Who knew? I highly recommend this book.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn
Price: $14.09
554 used & new from $1.82

3.0 out of 5 stars Hated the ending, August 25, 2012
This review is from: Gone Girl (Hardcover)
Read this in 3 days and loved the back and forth between Nick and Amy, for about 3/4 of the book. At that point, the plot became ridiculous. Hated Hated Hated the ending. Did the author really have to resort to such a cliche? I have to agree with another reviewer, seems like the author ran out of ideas and just ended the book. The story could have been so much better, but in the end did not live up to its potential. Giving it 3 stars instead of 2 because I did enjoy most of the book.

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
by Cheryl Strayed
Price: $16.77
381 used & new from $2.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, May 9, 2012
This is one of the most powerful memoirs I've ever read. I loved every word, savored each minute of it, and cried when it was done. I'm a day hiker and cannot imagine taking off on a such an intense journey alone. I admire Cheryl Strayed so much for what she accomplished in completing her hike and writing this wonderful memoir. She is a talented writer and I highly recommend this book.

Page: 1 | 2