Profile for Alex Green > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 83

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alex Green "alx779" RSS Feed (Toronto, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
New Balance Men's MT10v2 Minimus Trail Running Shoe
New Balance Men's MT10v2 Minimus Trail Running Shoe
Price: $99.95 - $109.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Super comfortable, durable and good looking! Made in USA., October 29, 2014
This is my current favorite shoe. I have the black/orange pair for running and recently picked up an all-black pair that to wear to work. They look great with jeans and are suitable for casual office environment.

Comfort is absolutely great (they feel like a sock really) but be mindful of sizing. My feet width is kind of between D and 2E. With these shoes, I found the D to be too tight, but 2E was perfect! I strongly suggest trying them on at a local store if you get a chance.

Running in them requires a use of proper technique, otherwise you may injure yourself. The first few days I ran in them, I felt a sharp pain in my feet, but realized it is likely because I ran striking my heel first. I decided to give them another chance and tried running while making sure I strike the ground mid-foot. No issues after that and I have now been running in them for more than a year.

A+ for durability! The shoes are holding up extremely well. While NB is not recommending this, I toss them into a washing machine for cleaning on gentle cycle and they come out looking like new. Dry up pretty quick as well.

They are not cheap, but given the fact they're made in USA and are built to last, I feel the price is completely fair.

Impressive job, New Balance!

Attached photos:

1) Orange/black pair after 1.5 years of running at least twice a week and a machine wash

2) Brand new all-black pair with jeans
Comment Comment | Permalink

Clarks Men's Newby Fly Oxford,Tan Leather,10 M US
Clarks Men's Newby Fly Oxford,Tan Leather,10 M US
Price: $120.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits as expected, somewhat hard leather but good overall, October 16, 2014
I am happy overall. The fit is true to size and they seem to be breaking in nicely (the leather was a little tough initially). A good looking, comfortable shoe that you can wear all day without your feet getting tired.

Teva Men's The Links Mid Sneaker,Red,10 M US
Teva Men's The Links Mid Sneaker,Red,10 M US
Price: $65.02
2 used & new from $65.02

3.0 out of 5 stars Good looking but fits too small/narrow., October 16, 2014
I ended up returning it because of small/narrow fit. Even a size higher is too tight in terms of width. Try it at your local store before ordering, if you can.

K-Swiss Men's Gallen III Lace-Up Fashion Sneaker,Black/Silver,10 M US
K-Swiss Men's Gallen III Lace-Up Fashion Sneaker,Black/Silver,10 M US
Price: $59.93

2.0 out of 5 stars Fit too small and narrow, tough leather, not comfortable., October 16, 2014
These shoes look good, but the fit and comfort are lacking. Most of my shoes are size 10 (M), but these were just too tight, narrow and hard. I tried the size higher and that was still tight on the sides while being too long otherwise. My advice is try to find them in your local store where you can try them before you buy. The only positive thing is they look good on your feet.

Airwalk Men's Andy Mac Fashion Sneaker,Rasta/Black,10 M US
Airwalk Men's Andy Mac Fashion Sneaker,Rasta/Black,10 M US
Price: $50.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Good basic sneaker., October 16, 2014
I'll be honest, I picked up a pair of these simply because I had a pair of Airwalk sneakers back in my college days (about 10 years ago) and those were the most comfortable shoes I had. The fit is fairly comfortable with these and they feel similar to my old Airwalks but they're just a bit bulky and don't breathe particularly well.

My feet are right in between the D and 2E width and they fit well.

These shoes won't win any beauty contests, but they work as basic all-purpose sneakers. Made in China.

Teva Men's The Links Shoe
Teva Men's The Links Shoe
Price: $36.61 - $110.00

1.0 out of 5 stars They look good but are not comfortable for all day wear. Run about 1/2 size small., September 22, 2014
This review is from: Teva Men's The Links Shoe (Shoes)
As others mentioned, these shoes run about 1/2 small. In my case, I tried my normal size 10 and it was too tight and uncomfortable. 10.5 fit ok but it just didn't work out at the end.

I commute to work every day and I wanted a pair of shoes that I can wear comfortable all day at the office. This isn't it. They're tight, even in bigger size and there are all kinds of pressure points which tire your feet out. My feet are not too wide as I normally wear medium width shoes without any issues. They look good otherwise, but looks are pointless if your feet are not comfortable.

I strongly recommend you at least try them out locally before you buy online.

Dahon Mu P24 Folding Bike, Tundra
Dahon Mu P24 Folding Bike, Tundra
Price: $865.00
6 used & new from $865.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A capable/reliable commuter. Needs better packaging and wider tires., August 11, 2014
I bought this bike to commute to/from work in Toronto and for an occasional joy ride. It has proven to be a very reliable and capable commuter, despite some minor flaws.
First, the packaging failed to protect the Dual SRAM pin in the back where the 3-gear clickbox is attached to back wheel. It was bent sideways but the bike mechanic was able to more or less straighten it, so I didn't have to order a replacement part. I highly recommend getting the bike tuned up at a professional shop, btw.
My first riding impression was that the bike was fast but the ride was harsh and not very stable due to very narrow stock tires. After about a week of suffering the pothole-rich Toronto roads, I upgraded to Schwalbe Big Apple RaceGuard RLX Wire Bead Tires (20X2.0-Inch). A huge improvement! Suddenly, the ride is far less wobbly and I don't feel every pothole on the road. An added bonus is that the bike looks quite a bit more badass. As a colleague of mine put it, "It now looks more like a bike and less like a toy." The only issue was I had to remove the stock fenders as there wasn't enough clearance above the chunky Big Apples.
I still wanted to have the fenders, so I picked up the SKS Rowdy Front and Rear Bicycle Fender Set (Black, 20-24 Inch) at Amazon. Both upgrades aren't particularly expensive, but I wish Dahon would include thicker stock tires as they do on some other models they sell.
As I already mentioned, the bike is very fast for a folder and handles well (with upgraded tires). Hills aren't an issue with 24 speeds at your disposal. There are some squeaks if you push it hard, but I guess it is to be expected of a folding frame. Gears shift smoothly and I am generally pleased with the components/build quality.
Folding mechanism works very well and it locks in place with a couple of magnets. I had trouble getting them aligned a few times, but it was just a matter of twisting the handlebars a bit more. Bigger tires didn't cause any issues with folding, in case you're wondering.
I like the all-white paint. The bike is very easy to see when it gets darker. Just remember to be careful when fiddling with the components as the frame smudges easily and the grease isn't particularly easy to wipe off of it.
The MSRP on this bike is quite high, but Amazon does drop it every once in a while and I feel I got a good deal on it.

Ray-Ban RB3183 Sunglasses 63 mm, Polarized,Gunmetal Frame/Gray Polarized GSM Lens
Price: $96.81
36 used & new from $94.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Good looking, but overpriced. Made in China., July 16, 2014
Bought mine directly from Amazon.com, so I assume they're authentic. Good looking sunglasses, I very much like the design. Very light and feel a little flimsy, but that may be just a feel. Polarized lenses are very good. They are overpriced for what they're. Given the fact that they're made in China, not Italy, I'd even say they're obscenely overpriced.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Despite high price., July 14, 2014
Yes, it is very, very expensive... but it is a fantastic machine that will last you a lifetime. I use it at least twice a day and I am much healthier as a result. The range of things you can make in it is incredible - drinks/smoothies, dough, ice cream, hot soup (heated by fast blade rotation alone), nut butters, etc..
It is quieter than other blenders I've had in the past, but still generates a fair bit of noise. Construction is very solid and I really like the compact container that fits neatly under kitchen cabinets. A fine American-made product!

P90X DVD Workout - Base Kit
P90X DVD Workout - Base Kit
Offered by Beachbody
Price: $139.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent program. Do yourself a favor and don't buy any of their "recovery drinks" or pills., July 6, 2014
Very effective exercise programs that work both for active athletes and for people who haven't been to the gym in many years. I do the weight lifting routines in conjunction with my martial arts and running workouts and it is working out very nicely.

Remember that exercise alone won't get you fit. You will likely need to tweak your diet. Cut down on sugar, alcohol, red meat and grains and you will see the results much faster. Even more important than diet/exercise is getting a healthy amount of sleep every day!

What I could do without is their sleazy marketing of the synthetic pills and the "recovery drink". Do yourself a favor and don't buy that crap. While what they say is true, "regular diet does not always provide all the minerals/vitamins that your body needs", you fix it by modifying your diet. They also mention "research", but conveniently omit the fact that long-term studies have shown that synthetic vitamin pills are useless and can even be harmful. Get a good blender, throw in some fresh fruit, vegetables, seeds/nuts, ice and there's your recovery drink!

Some reviewers say, "you need a lot of equipment". Not really. Here's what I got in my "home gym" setup:

Stamina 1690 Power Tower

StairMaster Pair of TwistLock Adjustable Dumbbells (100-Pounds)

Manduka BLACK PRO Yoga and Pilates Mat

That's it. Nice, compact and costs about the same as 1 year gym membership.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9