Profile for Amelia > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amelia RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Hoover Tempo WidePath Bagged Upright, U5140900
Hoover Tempo WidePath Bagged Upright, U5140900
Price: $60.00
19 used & new from $54.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent suction, HORRIBLE useless hose, October 29, 2014
Overall, this vacuum is okay. When pushing it around, I find that it does a very good job getting up dirt, AND pet hair (which is important for me with two cats). However, the hose on this vacuum is absolutely awful. I would never buy this model if I knew beforehand how bad it is. The hose is stiff and doesn't lock tightly onto the body, so when you're using the hose and moving it around, it constantly detaches from the body of the vacuum. I recently moved out of an apartment and in the process of having to vacuum the whole one bedroom apartment, the hose must have detached 10-15 times. I was ready to throw the stupid vacuum out the window. I'll have to try duck taping the hose to the body, but this is a serious design flaw. I have even looked into buying a replacement hose and can't find a better option to fit.

Also, after two years of using the vacuum, it is now making a thoroughly annoying loud noise when I use the hose, which it doesn't make when I'm pushing it around. Even if the body is sitting upright while I use the hose, I have to actively push the handle forward toward the front of the vacuum because letting it just sit loosely leads to the loud noise. Hopefully my handy boyfriend can figure out the problem and help me fix it.

Basically, for a cheap vacuum you'll only use occasionally and that only needs to last a year or two, this would be fine. But if you use the hose of a vacuum at all, definitely AVOID this model.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! Takes a bit of getting used to, March 5, 2014
I've used my Rainbow Cup for two cycles now and I'm in love. It's amazing to be able to insert it in the morning and forget about it until 12 hours later. No more tampon trash and no more worrying about leaving a tampon in too long. Thank goodness, because I hate creating waste and I am so busy and active that it was hard to remember to change a tampon every 8 hours! I also find the whole period experience to be less smelly because there's nothing soaking up blood and then sitting in my trashcan.

A few pointers based on my experience:

-I found that it's easiest to insert it so the lip of the cup is just past the muscle at the vaginal opening, then open it while the bottom of the cup and the stem are still sticking out of me. Then I can push it all the way in while it's already in an opened position, so no worries about whether my cervix is in a position that's in the way of the cup. Once I figured this out, I've had zero leaks whatsoever. When I tried to insert it all the way then open it, I experienced multiple leaks because my cervix would sometimes be in the way without my knowing, and it's hard to confirm that it's fully opened when it's so far up. It took my whole first cycle to figure this out, then my second cycle it was a breeze.

-I trimmed the stem a bit, but I'd really suggest not trimming it all the way because I absolutely depend on it to pull the cup out. Try it out for at least a day (and a couple of insertions) before trimming the stem to figure out what works for you.

-Depending on how far up the cup rides/sits on a given day, I can sometimes feel its presence. It's not painful or uncomfortable, just like when a tampon has gotten full or ridden low and is right at the vaginal muscle. Once you've gotten the hang of insertion, just know that feeling doesn't mean it's going to leak or it's placed wrong; it's just a day where it's riding low.

-I suggest continuing to use a pantyliner each day. Until you get the hang of placement, this is crucial, because you will experience leaks until you've got it figured out. Then it's just a nice backup, especially because there's always the chance that a bit of blood will trickle down while you have the cup removed for rinsing, and the blood won't get caught as you reinsert the cup.

I think this would probably be a bit daunting for a teen who has just started her period to use, but it could be worth a shot. You absolutely have to get comfortable with sticking your fingers up there and feeling around to figure out the cup placement (and you have to physically have the room to do that). As an active gal in my mid-twenties, this menstrual cup is just perfect. I'm about to give away all my unused tampons to friends and enjoy the space that's freed up in my bathroom cabinet!

Teeccino Hazelnut Herbal Coffee Alternative, Caffeine Free, Acid Free, 10 count (Pack of 6)
Price: $24.54
16 used & new from $20.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to coffee; weak if brewed by directions, March 5, 2014
So far I have tried Vanilla Nut, Mocha, and Chocolate flavors of Teeccino. I wouldn't ever mistake Teeccino for coffee, but it's a good substitute if you can't have coffee for caffeine or acid reasons! It's a much fuller flavor and feeling than you'll get from regular tea, so I appreciate having it as an option in the morning to replace coffee. I think Vanilla Nut is my favorite flavor so far. Mocha didn't taste very chocolatey at all and honestly neither does Chocolate. Chocolate at least smells chocolatey as it brews and it has a bit of a spicey taste to it, which is nice (reminds me of chai).

If you like weak coffee, then you could probably follow the brewing directions and be happy. However, I find that I need just as much teeccino for a strong enough flavored cup as I did coffee. The "tee bags" brew way too weak of a cup for me, even for 10 minutes in a regular sized coffee mug, and they're too pricey for me to be willing to use two for every cup. I'll stick to the standard brewing method in a coffee maker for a bold enough flavor.

ACE Knitted Knee Brace with Side Stabilizers, Medium
ACE Knitted Knee Brace with Side Stabilizers, Medium
Offered by Pharmapacks
Price: $11.50
12 used & new from $7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Sizing info is off, more comfy than other braces, July 11, 2013
As many people have said in their comments, the sizing info given isn't very accurate. I got the Medium, which fits me perfectly; I measure at just under 14.5" around my kneecap, with athletic calves and quads where the brace extends on each end. I can't imagine this brace being comfortable if my knee were much bigger at all. As is, it is tight and supportive, and doesn't slip down. I imagine it would be overly tight if someone with a larger knee measurement were to try to use this size, and my measurement is at the bottom of the size range they give for the Medium!

After trying on all of the knee brace options in the drugstore that were of this support level or higher, this was the only one that I could tell wouldn't irritate the backs of my knees. I've worn it at the gym twice now while using the elliptical, so there has been plenty of knee movement, and absolutely no discomfort. The other neoprene braces, whether they had straps or were fully enclosed with a mesh back, all were uncomfortable enough on the back of my knee that I could tell I'd hate wearing one for a workout or anything where my knee would bend at all. My only complaint in terms of fit is that the hole for the kneecap is quite small, so it doesn't go around my kneecap but rather sits on top of it (and I am an athletic 5'7" woman with no knee fat). It's not a deal-breaker at all, but a bit annoying.

Montrail Women's Mountain Masochist Mid Outdry Stable Trail Running Shoe,Stainless/ Reef,10 M US

3.0 out of 5 stars Funky fit near toes, April 19, 2013
I can't provide too much feedback on these shoes since I had to return them after trying them on, but I do wish they had worked out as they seemed to have nice cushioning all around the foot and ankle. The fit at the ball of the foot to the toe area is really odd though; I've never tried on a shoe like this and I've tried on a LOT of hiking/trail running shoe options! Basically I found that the shoe really angles inward, starting at the ball of the foot, so that it didn't leave enough room for my pinky toes and left an odd space between the inside edge of the shoe and my big toe. If you have a foot that curves inward around the toes, these would be great to try, but if your foot is straight like mine, it's just weird and uncomfortable! It doesn't really look like this in the pictures, but it felt like that part was crooked when I put them on my feet. With free returns, it doesn't hurt to give these a shot, since everyone's feet are unique and this might be just the fit you need.

Just for reference, I have a narrow heel and high arch, so my feet are low profile from the heel through the mid-foot area, then they spread outward pretty evenly in the ball of the foot and toe area. It's important in hiking or running shoes for your toes to have enough room to spread when you put weight on them or else you'll end up with very sore smushed little toes after many miles, and these shoes definitely didn't afford me the necessary space. Given the padding throughout the shoe, I think they might have been helpful for the narrow heel/arch area if I'd figured out a good lacing pattern to keep them tight enough.

PetFusion Smart Grip Cat Litter Mat - Gray Twist
PetFusion Smart Grip Cat Litter Mat - Gray Twist
Offered by PetFusion
Price: $29.95
7 used & new from $19.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Attractive, but cats tore it up, April 19, 2013
I got the Gray Twist design and the mat itself is very attractive. In terms of how well it got the litter off my two cats' paws, it seemed to do a mediocre job. Part of the issue is likely that I have a top-entry litterbox and the cats sometimes jump off the top of the box and right over the mat, so obviously that's not the mat's fault! The big thing I want to note for potential buyers is that if your cats like to claw/knead door mats, they will likely destroy this thing like mine did. My kitties don't scratch my actual carpeted flooring (or furniture), but they do like to claw my door mat that is of a lower carpet knap, and they do the same thing to this litter mat, which ends up making a mess of little foamy chunks. If your kitties aren't into clawing things like mine, this product is probably worth a shot. It certainly "dresses up" a litterbox with the nice design on it and it seems to be a well-made product that's easy to clean (as long as you aren't cleaning up foam chunks!).

GE 7-Day On/Off Plug In Digital Timer with 1 Outlet
GE 7-Day On/Off Plug In Digital Timer with 1 Outlet
Price: $14.46
26 used & new from $9.64

1.0 out of 5 stars Works for a couple months, March 13, 2013
The timer was great for the few months that it worked, but then it stopped turning on the light that I had plugged into it. I checked everything else (the light, the wall socket) and reset everything, but the timer still wouldn't turn on the light, even though the display on the timer looked like it was working. What a disappointment... I'm not sure it's worth paying to send back for a replacement. I recommend avoiding this timer if you want something that will give you your money's worth!

evolv Women's Elektra Lace Climbing Shoe,Violet/Grey,9.5 M US
evolv Women's Elektra Lace Climbing Shoe,Violet/Grey,9.5 M US
Offered by Live To Play
Price: $88.95
4 used & new from $88.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes, December 3, 2012
These are great shoes for a beginner climber. A comfortable fit that's not painful, especially for your first time wearing climbing shoes without socks. Unfortunately these lace-up Elektras didn't actually fit me well enough, so I had to return them and get the velcro style. My foot is simply too narrow, so when I received them I was already pulling the laces as tight as possible for a secure fit, meaning there would be no room to tighten them further once I've broken the shoes in over the next couple of months. The velcro gives more options for tightening if your feet are as narrow as mine, but the lace-ups give a more secure overall tightening experience if you have a more average foot, so I'd definitely recommend giving these a shot if you have an average foot. The lace-ups are harder to find and I haven't found a store that sells them, so I'd recommend trying on the velcro version in a store for sizing, then ordering the lace-ups here on Amazon. I found the sizing to be true to size for my athletic shoes, providing the slightest bit of curl in the toes to give me better grip and control when climbing.

Bottom line, I wish I could have kept these and I definitely recommend them for anyone with an average sized foot!

Black & Decker DCM18S Brew 'n Go Personal Coffeemaker with Travel Mug
Black & Decker DCM18S Brew 'n Go Personal Coffeemaker with Travel Mug
Offered by Grady's Online
Price: $20.95
57 used & new from $20.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Messy and Risky, September 28, 2012
I got this coffeemaker as a hand-me-down so I paid nothing for it, and it's pretty much worth what I paid! It does make coffee straight into the cup, which of course is convenient. However, as so many others have said, it splashes grounds all over the inside of the coffeemaker during every use (no matter how much or how little grounds I put in) which means it requires frequent cleaning involving putting the entire coffeemaker in the sink to rinse out. It also sometimes results in grounds getting into my cup of coffee. The convenience factor is gone when it takes as much time to clean the maker as it does for the cup of coffee to actually brew.

Worst of all, today I was making a cup at work as usual. I filled the cup itself with water, poured it into the coffeemaker, put in two scoops of coffee, and turned the machine on, then went back to work. The coffeemaker sits on my side desk and when I turned around to pick up the cup, I discovered that coffee had spilled all over my desk. The cup itself was about 2/3 full and the last 1/3 was all over the place. All I can figure is that I didn't sit the filter and filter basket back in the perfect position and it must have somehow stopped up the little spout that pours into the cup. Anyway, it was an absolute mess and it's simply not worth the risk of that happening again.

I'd highly suggest investing in a better coffeemaker than this one! Or if you decide to get this one anyway, come take mine. I sure won't be using it again...

Cat Dancer 301 Cat Charmer Interactive Cat Toy
Cat Dancer 301 Cat Charmer Interactive Cat Toy
Price: $4.89
45 used & new from $3.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Cats' favorite toy, August 27, 2012
This is really a fantastic product. My two cats love it (as would any cat who enjoys chasing string-like objects) and it is of great quality. The wand part bends all the way into a U shape without breaking, so no matter how hard the cats pull on it they don't hurt the toy at all. The "ribbon" part is very securely attached to the wand so no worries about any possibility of that coming off any time soon. And the ribbon part is made of a stretchy felt material that doesn't shred and holds up wonderfully to my cats' teeth and claws, even when their claws are overdue for a trim. I've had the Cat Charmer for a couple of months now and I've also given one to a friend whose cats greatly enjoyed playing with mine while I was cat-sitting for them. I'm sure I'll be giving many more as gifts to other cat owners in the future. Don't waste your time with other similar products that will fall apart quickly... I promise you'll be happy you got this one!

Page: 1 | 2