Profile for Aravyndra > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 57

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Aravyndra RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Heaven Is For Real, The Book Isn't: An Astounding Refutation Of A Story About A Trip To Heaven And Back
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Heaven is for real: this guy isn't., May 17, 2014
This is the "truth" as Dr. Williams sees it. more or less takes certain things in the bible and spins it to line up with his beliefs. That is not truth... that is "this is my opinion based on what I believe the biblical text to mean."

If we were all 100% clear on "biblical doctrine" there wouldn't be so many interpretations of the bible... there wouldn't be so many fingers of Christianity from Baptists, to Catholics, to Lutherans, to Mormons... all whose doctrines differ in various ways, including the interpretation of bible passages as well as what is included in the bible.

so this isn't truth, it's conjecture based on what he believes to be the truth. Just because you have a "Dr" in front of your name... does NOT make you a complete authority whose word is law.

God works in mysterious ways. The bible gives us a guide as to how things in heaven may be or look, but unless you've been there... you don't really know. You also don't know how God would show a child something incomprehensible - especially if they're only there for a visit and he wants them to return, with a message for others.

4 year olds... They see things differently than a grown adult would. at 4 they're still learning how to express themselves, they don't even have a full grasp on their native language, and they have not seen as much of the world as someone who is 40 or 60. So God may show them things in a light that is more their level. Something easier for them to understand and try to explain when they return. With God, anything and everything is possible.

Dr. Williams just wants to refute anything that goes against his sensibilities. What he needs to understand, there are some things in life that you just aren't meant to understand. God didn't give us all the answers in the bible... it's called 'Faith' for a reason. he should focus more of his time writing about his own beliefs instead of trying to refute others'.

Yes the bible is the true word of God... but you can't share the word with those who refuse to read the bible or believe in it's message. So sometimes he has these miracles happen so that people will take notice. Many people have had their faith strengthened, renewed or just begin from stories such as Colton Burpo. How is that a bad thing?

People who never picked up the bible, are now reading its contents to see if they can find scripture to back up what Colton said he experienced... Some who never stepped inside a church are now attending and hearing the word of God on a weekly basis... others who were believers, but struggled with their belief, found hope and light in the thought that "God loves the children" and that Heaven is for real.

Yet here's this "Doctor" who posts this inside his book: "The irony is, those who demand a place for extra biblical revelation are the first to reject the biblical punishment for false prophets"

The story is about the experiences of a FOUR YEAR OLD BABY - (Well, at least he was when this supposedly happened.) and he's talking about "Punishment for false prophets"? Yeesh.

Nothing is more annoying than someone who claims to have all the answers and a complete understanding of God's ways and the meaning of the bible. They say God works in MYSTERIOUS ways. If he works in mysterious ways, you can't understand all of his ways (or they wouldn't be mysterious).

I don't say that what Colton experienced was real. I believe he believes it was real... and I believe in the good his story has done. So why not write a book about your own beliefs, and reasons behind them... and leave a 4 year old's experience out of it?

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
Offered by HarperCollins Christian Publishing
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting Story, May 16, 2014
What I liked about this story, it wasn't preachy... it wasn't shoving their beliefs and interpretations of the bible down your throats. Todd Burpo (Colton's father) just stated things like it was. It was a "take it for what it's worth" feeling. He wasn't trying to make you believe this actually happened... he simply told us the story, and how it changed his family, and left it to us to decide what we thought... as long as we understood the general message: God loves his children.

I find it positive that he took that message, and changed the way he handled his youth ministry.

As for Colton... I believe that he's telling the truth as he remembers it. To me there were a lot of things that make me wonder - everyone in heaven had wings... Jesus' wounds being in the hands rather the wrists where most historical scholars and biological experts in anatomy believed the wounds would most likely have been in...

But he's 4. He wouldn't have known how to properly explain what is really not easily explained for an adult who claims to have seen heaven and then came back. God works in mysterious ways and for him anything is possible. Perhaps he showed Colton heaven... in a way Colton would understand it and be able to explain it when he came home.

No one truly knows what heaven is going to be like. We have little bits and pieces in the bible as reference... but not all the answers. God didn't give us all the answers because of one little word: Faith. Sometimes, as Christians, we just have to have faith and put trust in God and Jesus. It reminds me of the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy where rays are coming forth from Jesus in the colors of water and blood like that which poured forth from his heart when he was speared after the crucifixion... and the rays of light were meant to be his mercy pouring down on us... and under the painting of this Divine Mercy, it says "Jesus, I trust in you".

Faith.

It's kind of up to you to decide if you believe this child... or at the very least, believe that he believes it. I am kind of inbetween. I believe fully that he believes it... and I kind of believe him knowing that God can do anything... and knowing we don't truly know with certainty what heaven is really like since we have not been there.

One thing I would say that I take issue with are the reviewers that complain about how the Burpos let Colton get so sick. It's easy to accuse parents when not in that situation, of being bad parents. But I read it completely different.

Both children were sick with the same symptoms. They were told it was the flu by a doctor. Should they have waited as long as they did? Not in my opinion... but that doesn't make them bad parents... they just added 1+1 (Daughter sick, Son sick, Doctor said it was the flu... it's just hitting Colton harder and longer) and came up with 4 instead of 2.

That doesn't make them bad parents. As soon as they realized it was more than the flu as they had been told... they rushed him to the hospital... when he wasn't getting better in that hospital, they took him to another... had he not gotten better there, they were going to take him to yet another... but he miraculously improved and was able to go home.

They even state in the book - they screwed up big time... and if they have some blame... some also needs to be placed on the first hospital where the doctors did not catch his ruptured appendix. in fact... the doctor at the first hospital ruled that out.

So there was blame to go around. But to focus on their short-comings, the fact they were human beings and made a horrible mistake, something they admitted to, that still haunts them I'm sure... instead of the true message of hope, and God's love... is allowing the message to get lost IMO.

Everything happens for a reason, and because they were human and made a huge mistake... because the first hospital's doctor made a grievous misdiagnosis - Colton went to heaven and came back with an inspiring message for all:

God loves his children.

House of Darkness House of Light: The True Story Volume One
House of Darkness House of Light: The True Story Volume One
Price: $8.10

3.0 out of 5 stars Book of Light Book of Too Much Details, April 27, 2014
I really really wanna like this book - but I am just having issues. When the author is completely focused on the story - it's brilliant... but when nothing important is happening and she's just discussing a little background info... she goes off on tangents that are just frustrating. Do we really need 10 pages to describe how cold the winter was? I get it... it was cold and you didn't have a working furnace.

In one section she stated "Roger Suddenly Remembered the Ambiguous statement Mr. Kenyon made before leaving his lifelong home." Then she goes on for over a paragraph describing how cold it was in the house. I'm like, "Did I miss the statement? What did Mr. Kenyon say??" finally after a paragraph or so of how chilly it was... she tells us what he said.

Um... if you make the statement, "Roger remembers what Mr. Kenyon Said" - please follow it immediately with what the heck Mr. Kenyon Said... THEN go on your "how cold is it" tangent. I ended up reading the same few paragraphs 3 or 4 times to see if I missed that conversation. I was completely confused till I finally got to the part where Mr. Kenyon's mysterious statement was made known. The whole book is like this.

Like I said, when she focuses on the story, it's brilliant. Like when she talked about an incident with her dog, and her cat, and beating the crap out of her neighbor, she was so intent on telling the story as honestly as she could remember it, she didn't try to fluff it up with poetic words, over dramatize it, or get too descriptive, and it was brilliant, I was really drawn into that part of the story. but those moments are stuck between the rest of the stuff.

I mean, there's a time and a place for everything... I'm a wordy person (as you can see here) - but there's wordy, then there is decorating something for decoration's sake, like the extreme overuse of the word 'ether'. It adds nothing but a little bling bling... and while some bling is okay and even necessary, when the story is littered with bling here and there and everywhere, it becomes like a gaudy piece of costume jewelry: Loud, over-sized, and tries to trick you into thinking it's more than just glass by sparkling like a diamond.

The problem with too many visuals, you want to draw your readers in, and give them enough information so they can see what you are describing in their mind's eye, as if they are actually there. If you overload them with descriptive information, it becomes impossible for the mind to focus and bring them to that place because they can't form a cohesive image. When the brain becomes overloaded with images, it starts to wander and lose interest.

The book itself would have been much more interesting if she just tried to tell the story as the person who experienced it, and spent less time trying to sound like a literary scholar spinning a fantastical tale.

Bell and Howell DNV16HDZ-MFull 1080p HD 16MP Infrared Night Vision Camcorder with 10x Optical Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (Maroon)
Price: Click here to see our price
13 used & new from $169.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Had to update the review after owning for a week., March 9, 2014
After having this camera for some time, I had to completely re-write my review.

I struggled between giving this camera 2 stars and 3 stars. I really wanted to give it 3 stars because it is affordable, light weight, has good recording quality, I like the night vision (it's hard to find a decent priced camera that has infrared)... I did struggle with uploading the sound with the video... but then I found out if I simply converted it to an MP4, the sound would work again... so that was a problem solved.

however, I still struggle to give it 3 stars because of the following issues:

1. Focus - it has a hard time focusing and once it does focus it constantly loses focuses and has to readjust. my Sony doesn't do that... and it's frustrating when you're in the middle of filming something.

2. The batter SUCKS and I mean SUCKS!! I charged it for 48 hours. 100% charged. half hour into recording, the battery told me it was almost empty. I though... there's no way. so I shut it down, and restarted it... it said the battery was full. That sounded more likely, so I proceeded to record again. A few seconds into hitting record, it went down to almost empty. So the fact of the matter is... the battery drains... and FAST. (faster if you're recording using the infrared setting than the normal setting... but even normal... it barely lasts 40 minutes) I've NEVER had a camera with that crappy of battery life before. Yeah this camera is affordable at $200... but I'd expect a better battery life from anything over $50.

So I can't give this camera 3 stars. That battery life is ridiculous for a $200 camera. You almost have to bring a bunch of extension cords and plug it into an outlet in order to be able to properly record something... so it's really only good for indoor recording (unless you have an outdoor power source of some sort.)

I can say I wouldn't get a Bell&Howell again. That's for sure. It's too frustrating, it's not very user friendly because you have to do so much of "Do this to get that, change this to get this to work, plug this here to get that to keep moving", and the battery life just stinks.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2014 9:30 PM PDT

Freetress Equal Synthetic Lace Front Wig - Amerie-F437
Freetress Equal Synthetic Lace Front Wig - Amerie-F437
Offered by BlackHairSpray
Price: $27.99
5 used & new from $27.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Sheds like CRAZY, February 16, 2014
I bought this wig after my head was shaved due to skin cancer issues. She is gorgeous when you first put her on... but she sheds like crazy. It's been, what... a year now... and she's STILL shedding. She also doesn't hold up well. after several months you can't keep her down, she sticks up EVERYWHERE no matter how much you brush her, and the top looks a little wiggy now. Someone told me to try a curing iron to straighten out the ends that keep sticking up all the time... but with the way she sheds... I'm a bit worried to do that.

She's not the worst wig I've ever had... but considering how much I LOVE Freetress Equal, I was a bit disappointed in this particular wig. (I've had High success with the other ones I've purchased of Freetress's)

I rate this about a C+. Its a VERY cute wig... but a LOT of maintenance and shedding.

Fact Or Faked: Paranormal Files Season 2
Fact Or Faked: Paranormal Files Season 2
DVD
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This was an excellent series, February 16, 2014
I enjoyed how they would take internet clips and try to prove or disprove them using several scientific approaches based on their knowledge of cameras, stunts, geology, etc. It wasn't simply like other shows that see an orb for example and say, "We've have debunked the idea that this is a bug... because we didn't see any bugs" - Just because you didn't see the bugs, doesn't mean it isn't possible that there was a bug people. So it was refreshing to see a show that actually looked into these claims with a more analytical eye. They went in wanting to find actual answers, rather than just showing you ghosts in every corner of every room in every episode. Sadly, Syfy decided to take it off the air for whatever reason. I miss this show.

Corset-story WT-069 waist training corset 38" purple
Corset-story WT-069 waist training corset 38" purple

4.0 out of 5 stars I like the corset..., February 16, 2014
I really like the corest... it's very fashionable, comfortable, and I can get a good few inches off when I'm wearing it... however, I measured myself several times and ordered the one that would fit based on my measurements. In fact, I ordered one size up. It's VERY small. I have to really loosen that puppy up to get it to fit. I remeasured myself, (as I had been dieting) and I actually lost a few inches, and it STILL didn't fit... so they run smaller than they actually say.

Otherwise I really have no complaints. I've dieted my way into this fitting like a glove, and it is a very lovely piece. It looks good with black dress pants and my fitted suit jacket. It also looks nice with my jeans and tan sweater. Not for the top heavy girl though. I'm big busted, and your boobs will knock you out if you try sitting. You have to find the fine line between giving your bust support, and still having it loose enough that they don't have a boxing match with your chin when you sit down.

Phantom in the Chair Figurine
Phantom in the Chair Figurine

5.0 out of 5 stars I adore this music box, February 16, 2014
This review is from: Phantom in the Chair Figurine
If you're a Phantom of the Opera Phan, you will LOVE this music box. Seriously, I can't say enough about the beauty of this figurine. The details are phenomenal. It's a powerful piece to have in your collection. Of all the globes and figurines I have... your eye is immediately drawn to this one. I would highly recommend any Phantom Phan to get this in their collection.

Furreal Friends Newborn Patchwork Puppy
Furreal Friends Newborn Patchwork Puppy
Offered by NCC Toys
Price: $19.28
28 used & new from $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars absolutely adorable, February 16, 2014
the blinking of the eyes, and turning of the head is very realistic. My nieces absolutely love their puppies. the ONLY complaint I have is that you do have to press awfully hard on their back to get them to move... and sometimes all they do is whine... they don't always blink or move the head. They need to make them a little easier for little kids to activate, and make them slightly more active.

A3006 - Black diamante corset (6X)
A3006 - Black diamante corset (6X)
Offered by Mabelle Monroe
Price: $19.95
2 used & new from $19.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits really well, February 16, 2014
This review is from: Black Corset (Apparel)
It looks very pretty. I really like the style, and the shape. The only thing is, I wish it were just a little longer. I have to wear a black strapless body shaping bra that goes down to the stomach, cause this ends right above my stomach. it's almost like a crop top. Otherwise, it's very slimming, very comfortable, and fashionable. It's really cute with denim pants and matching denim jacket, or black skirt with a black fitted suit jacket, or a black shrug.

of course if you're a skinny mini and have nice toned arms, you don't need a cover up. it looks nice without a jacket or sweater. Some just need to be careful. I know a friend of mine bought this thinking it would be like my waist training corsets. This isn't that type of corset (thus why it's so reasonably priced) this is a fashion corset... it does NOT have support ribbing you find in waist trainers. However you can still tie this pretty tight to get a slimming look. I was able to get 4 inches off my waist in this. It's just not meant for long term wear or waist training.

So excellent product. I hope they come out with a longer version in the future. Would definitely get it again and give a full 5 stars if they do
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2014 12:17 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6