Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS
Profile for Jamie Wilson > Reviews

Browse

Jamie Wilson's Profile

Customer Reviews: 305

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jamie Wilson RSS Feed (Knoxville, TN)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Motorola T260 Talkabout Radio, 2 Pack
Motorola T260 Talkabout Radio, 2 Pack
Price: $59.00
19 used & new from $59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Motorola quality. Great radios!, May 20, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've long been a fan of Motorola Talkabout radios and these are no exception. Weighing about half a pound each, they're light enough and small enough to clip to a backpack strap or slip into a pocket without being an annoyance. The included rechargeable batteries are very convenient (and you can charge both simultaneously with the included charging cable) and will get you about a dozen hours of use (estimated). You should be able to at least double that with Alkaline batteries, however, and Motorola was kind enough to give you that option by making the rechargeable battery removable. So, when the zombie apocalypse happens, you'll have options for keeping your communications up and running long after the electricity goes dark. You're welcome.

The advertised range is up to 25 miles. The reality is that you're only going to achieve this with line-of-sight from the tops of a couple of mountains. According to Motorola's datasheet, you might get up to 6 miles across water. For most uses, you're probably looking at an effective range of under a mile, depending on terrain, obstructions, weather conditions, etc. I gave it a quick test in my hilly suburban area during rain and had noticeable reception degradation around a half mile. That's not to say the signal was completely lost, but that sometimes it was clear enough to understand, somethings difficult to understand, and sometimes no reception at all. Other channels may fare better, and I have no doubt better terrain, less obstructions, and clear weather would all contribute to greater range.

Because this is both FRS and GMRS, you get 7 FRS channels, 7 dual FRS/GMRS channels, and 8 GMRS channels (which require a license from the FCC). I couldn't find information on output, but FRS radios are limited to 0.5 watts and most GMRS radios seem to be in the 1-2 watt range, so I'm assuming these are no exception (but if anyone knows, please leave a comment to satisfy my own curiosity).

The radios advertise 121 "privacy codes," which is kind of misleading (but that's the common term used by most people, so don't blame Motorola). The documentation refers to them, more accurately, as "Interference Elimination Codes." When not used, your radio will pick up all transmissions on that channel. When used, the radio will ignore all transmissions not using that code, which has the effect of giving you a "clear" channel for all intents and purposes. It's important to note, though, that there is no privacy here. Anything you transmit can be picked up by anyone listening in on that channel, whether they're tuned into your "privacy code" or not. Okay, back to the review...

The radio has a very useful channel scan feature. This is great when you're searching for channels already in use, trying to sync up with someone whose radio is tuned to an unknown channel, or just wanting to listen in on random transmissions. The scan skips through all 22 channels fast and will stop as soon as it detects a transmission and then resume the scan a few seconds after the transmission ends.

The NOAA weather option is an awesome feature for anyone who spends time outdoors, especially since it has a weather alert option that will alert you when a weather warning has been issued. That's the kind of feature that'll have me carrying one of these on hikes, even when I'm solo.

The backlit display (comes on automatically for a few seconds when you press a button) is great for nighttime use, and configuration options like low battery alert, roger tone, call tones, and keypad lock round out a nice set of radios. I also like the option to add a hands-free mic.

Overall, I really like these. At some point in the future I may upgrade to the T600 for the IP67 waterproof rating and, I believe, higher output wattage--but these will probably serve most of my needs for the foreseeable future.

Pour Over Goose Neck Electric Kettle
Pour Over Goose Neck Electric Kettle
Price: $45.78
3 used & new from $45.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Elegant design. Goose neck spout is great!, May 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very attractive kettle that looks great on my counter. The brushed stainless steel material and overall design gives it a very elegant look. My experience has been that 1L of water heats up in under 3 minutes. I've used other electric kettles in the past, but this is the first time I've even seen one with a goose neck spout--and I love it. Sure, it increases the counter space the kettle uses, but it makes pouring far easier when aiming for smaller targets like mugs.

My only gripe is that the fill line is on the inside of the kettle near the handle. It's the only place in the kettle that is difficult to see if you're holding it by the handle when filling it. I suppose it was placed there for aesthetic reasons, and it's really a minor thing once you get in the habit of not overfilling it.

Red Bull Yellow Edition, Tropical Energy Drink, 8.4 Fl Oz Cans, 12 Pack
Red Bull Yellow Edition, Tropical Energy Drink, 8.4 Fl Oz Cans, 12 Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Same product, new taste--and it tastes great!, May 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Red Bull Red has been my favorite of the line until now. Yellow (passion fruit) may be the best flavor of Red Bull yet. All the stuff you like about Red Bull in a new yellow package with passion fruit flavor. What more can you ask?

Viva Labs Omega 3 Fish Oil Supplement - The HIGHEST Concentration Omega 3 Capsules, 2,200mg Fish Oil/serving, 90 Softgels
Offered by Viva Naturals

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit pricey, but high level of Omega-3s and uses non-farm raised fish, May 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been taking Now Foods Ultra Omega 3, Fish Oil Soft-gels, 180-Count for years now and haven't had any complaints, but decided to give these a try. Both products are highly rated and neither gives any type of fishy aftertaste or anything like that, so no issues there.

For me, the big difference is that Viva Labs provide about 200mg more Omega-3s per serving than those from Now Foods for about $0.07 more per serving. Putting aside claims about "enhanced absorption" and things like that (both appear to use molecular distillation), Viva Labs very clearly states that its products do not use farm-raised fish. I couldn't find anywhere in the Now Foods FAQ or elsewhere in which Now Foods assures me that it doesn't use farm-raised fish.

Panasonic WINGS(TM) Wireless Bluetooth® Sport Clips with Mic+ Controller RP-BTS30-W (Metallic White) with Travel Pouch, Water Resistant, Best for iPhone
Price: $97.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these! Perfect for active people!, May 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Prior to switching to these, I was a big fan of my Philips SHQ7800BK/27 Bluetooth Sports Headphones, Black. The quality of the Panasonic makes the price jump totally worth it for a much better experience.

My primary use of Bluetooth headphones is in the gym, running, or biking--so I want something lightweight and tangle-free that fits firmly on my ears, sounds great and reduces external sounds. This does all of that well.

The inner earbuds is a must-have for me. Not only do they reduce external sound (and let me enjoy the sound quality these produce), but they provide a great deal of stability in keeping these snugly against my ear (something the cheaper non-earbud Philips pair failed to do). The transmitter/battery/etc is built into the ear pieces, which puts the weight (there's not much of it) at the most stable part of the device (your ears), so there's nothing hanging on the cord to slide around and annoy you when you're moving around (another failure of the Philips pair).

Bluetooth connectivity is fairly fast. The controls let you do most everything you need to without having to reach for your phone. These are rated IPX4 for water resistance which, if accurate, means they are splash proof--which is very nice for those of us who like to spend a lot of time outdoors.

Overall, I love these things. They're light, comfortable, fit snugly, and sound great!

Aveline 10" Gel Infused Memory Foam Queen Mattress
Aveline 10" Gel Infused Memory Foam Queen Mattress
Offered by stores123
Price: $237.71
5 used & new from $237.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Best sleep I've had in my bed in a very long time!, May 9, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've only had this mattress about 4 days now, but I'm already very impressed. Prior to this, I'd been sleeping on a $400 IKEA MATRAND medium firm mattress I purchased a couple of years ago. It's not a terrible mattress, but I often wake up in the morning feeling unrested from a night of tossing and turning. The past 4 nights of sleeping on this mattress have been nothing short of amazing. I haven't slept this good in a very long time!

Given what I paid for my IKEA mattress and the comfort level of this, the price point of ~$250 seems like a great deal to me in comparison, assuming the mattress holds up over time (and I don't see any reason to suspect that it won't).

FILA Strength Grip
FILA Strength Grip
Price: $12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Does it's basic job, but suffers from lack of quality and attention to detail, April 29, 2016
This review is from: FILA Strength Grip (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is definitely not your dad's strength grip! Adjusting between 20 and 90 lbs of resistance is just a matter of turning the bright green dial. You'll have to figure out which way from trial and error since there are no instructions and the 90-to-20 lbs indicator on the side of the grip is backwards (you actually want to screw the cable toward the 20 lbs marker to get 90 lbs of resistance and vice-versa).

It's got a cool design, but it looks like FILA has just rebranded a generic grip and increased the price (a quick Amazon search will find 22-88 lbs ones for less). The so-called "foam padding" is really just a thin rubber-like texture that sits over the hard plastic the device is constructed of. It's not a huge deal, but calling it "foam padding" is a stretch and kind of misleading.

Finally, two pins hold the grip together. I'm on day two of having it and one of the pins has already broken and is starting to come out. It's probably nothing a hammer can't fix (at least temporarily), but it's just one more indicator of low quality.

Final verdict: It's a strength grip and does what it's supposed to do. The downside is that the manufacturing shows that quality wasn't the goal here. You can find the same basic device without the FILA name on it for less here on Amazon.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Crock-Pot 6-Quart 5-in-1 Multi-Cooker with Non-Stick Inner Pot, Stainless Steel, SCCPMC600-S
Price: $149.99
13 used & new from $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The versatility earns it a permanent spot on my counter, April 26, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The versatility of this Crock-Pot is awesome! And, as a bachelor, versatility in the kitchen is a huge deal for me. I was already a big fan of my Crock-Pot Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker SCVT650-PS, 6.5-Quart, Silver, but this is a *huge* upgrade that offers many more features. Having the ability to slow cook, sauté, roast, bake and steam has earned it a semi-permanent spot on my counter. Having less pots and pans to clean now is a huge bonus.

One of my favorite things to do is slow cook soups, stews, and chili. The last thing I want to do in the morning before work, though, is pull out an extra pan and brown my meat before tossing it into the Crock-Pot. With this one, it's not a problem. I recently made bone broth in this (24 hours of cooking) for chicken soup. When it came time to make the soup, I was able to place a few chicken breasts in the Crock-Pot, set it to sauté, and then get ready for work while the meat browned--instead of using a separate pan and having to stand over the stove while I browned it. Once that was done, I just added in my vegetables, seasoning, and bone broth. I set it to slow cook for 8-10 hours, and went to work. This is the kind of convenience that makes me love this Crock-Pot--and the 6 quart size gives me a lot of options when it comes to what I can cook in it.

One of the first things I used this for was baking some chicken breasts. As a test, I preheated the Crock-Pot and my oven to the same temperature to see which heated up faster. The Crock-Pot won by at least a minute or two. The big benefit with the bake option that I see is the ability to bake something in my oven and something in this simultaneously when I need two different temperatures.

The handles make it very easy to transport the inner pot, but there's nothing to lock down the lid, which is a slight bummer. Overall, though, I'm really impressed. It's a bit pricey, but totally worth the cost, in my opinion, for all that it does and the time saved from switching between pots, pans, and the Crock-Pot (and all the things you don't have to clean).

Panasonic drops360°LUXE® Premium In-Ear Stereo Headphones with Mic + Controller RP-HJX21M-K (Black and Silver) Powerful Bass, with Travel Case, Best for Audiophile
Price: $97.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I love the sound quality, wish the bass was deeper, and loathe that there's no volume control, April 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The sound quality on these put my Klipsch Image S4i Rugged - BLUE All Weather In-Ear Headphones to shame. The sound is so much richer and clearer, and I didn't realize what I was missing (and there are subtle sounds I now hear in songs I didn't hear in my other earphones) until I switched back and forth between the two. I agree with some other reviewers that the bass isn't as deep as I'd like (I'd like a little more thump in my ear), but, for me, there's no argument on the quality--both in the sound and the construction of the earphones. My single biggest gripe, though, is that there's no volume control on them. I'm so used to having them on my earphones that I keep reaching to change the volume and remembering that there isn't one.

ASUS Dual-Band AC1900 Repeater Range Extender Media Bridge Access Point with USB 3.0 (RP-AC68U)
Price: $159.99
47 used & new from $135.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Easy setup and works great with my ASUS router!, April 10, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own the ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-AC3100 Gigabit Router (RT-AC88U) and have been a huge fan of ASUS after upgrading from my Cisco/LinkSys routers after years of frustration with slow and unreliable connections. This repeater only increases my excitement with the ASUS line of products. Setup is extremely simple: push the WPS button the router, push the WPS button the repeater and let them sync up. It took me a few tries, but still a very simple process. Once that's done, you're good to go. No further configuration needed because the repeater's SSID is automatically assigned to your existing SSID followed by _RPT. It connects to either the 5GHz or 2.4GHz of your router, and offers both bands to devices connecting to it. Indicators on the rear of the unit show the strength of your connection to the router, making optimal placement extremely easy.

At first I couldn't understand why it was connecting to my router on the 2.4GHz band, but then I realized it does that to make maximum use of the 5GHz band. In the words of ASUS, it dedicates "100% of one band for connecting to the main router and 100% of the other band for connecting to your devices (rather than halving bandwidth by transmitting and receiving on both bands)." Nice!

The 5 Ethernet ports on the rear of the repeater are much appreciated, allowing you to use tethered devices far away from your router and, in many cases, eliminating to run a tethered switch to those devices. There's also a single USB port on there, for networked file sharing.

Finally...the thing looks extremely cool (just like the routers)! The red glow makes for some nice eye candy, but can be easily turned off if it's not your thing. So far, I really like this repeater.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20