Profile for Jamie Wilson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 232

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jamie Wilson RSS Feed (Knoxville, TN)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
HAMMERHEAD HCSD040 4-volt Lithium Rechargeable Screwdriver with Non-Contact Voltage Detector and 9-Piece Bit Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent addition to my toolkit, April 9, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great tool to have around when you need it. I recently used it to assemble a cabinet and it was far more convenient than using a manual screwdriver when using my DeWalt drill would have been overkill. Just give it a slight twist in the direction you want to screw and that's pretty much it. You're not going to get the same amount of torque as a full-sized drill, but it should be plenty for most things you'd use a regular screwdriver for. It charges with a mini-USB cable, which adds a lot of convenience, and the voltage detector is a useful bonus. I love having this in my tool bag.

Sony SHAKE55 3000W Wireless Music System
Sony SHAKE55 3000W Wireless Music System
Price: $798.00
2 used & new from $798.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, especially given the price tag., March 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a decent system for entertaining, but disappointing for home use. Personally, I don't think it's worth the price tag for what it offers.

This is a big system, much bigger than what I expected. The speakers are more than 2.5 feet tall and more than 1.5 feet wide. The listed weight for the entire system is 126 pounds. You don't have to major in math to guess that these probably weigh 40-50 pounds each. Plan accordingly. They don't have the straps you normally find on speakers this size, just finger notches on the front and back. Sure, it makes them look better, but keep that in mind if you're planning to carry these things from venue to venue. If you're using them at home, shouldn't be a problem.

The system looks cool. No doubt about it. Both the stereo unit and the speakers have very cool colored LED lights that simultaneously fade in and out in a variety of colors. You can choose a specific color you like, or have it iterate through each of them. This is a really cool feature for parties, clubs, entertaining, etc. Mildly cool for sitting at home on the sofa listening to music. I was hoping I could find a setting to get the lights to pulse to the music or something, but no such luck. The lights fade in and out in in a consistent rhythm regardless of the tempo of the music playing, or if music is playing at all. For a $1000 system, I'd like some more LED eye candy.

I'm not an audiophile, but the sound is decent and I can feel the power behind those speakers without even taking the volume to 40. I'm dying to go higher, but apartment living is shackling my ambitions to do so at the moment. Nonetheless, I have no doubt the 3000 watts this system is packing will be more than sufficient for many parties, DJ gigs, karaoke nights, and things like that. No one stands around at those places saying "you know, I really would've enjoyed myself more if the audio had been a bit more crisp on the midrange frequencies." If you want some boom, I'm sure this system can bring it.

The system can play CDs, music from USB devices, Bluetooth devices, a radio tuner, and a couple of external audio devices. The Bluetooth standby mode is really handy. It'll power the system on automatically whenever a device connects to it via Bluetooth, so you can just whip out your iPhone, make the connection and start listening to music without having to fumble with the remote control. There is even a microphone input works while the music is playing, so knock yourself out with some karaoke or whatever floats your boat.

There's also this thing called the "party chain" function that lets you hook several of these systems together so that they all play the same thing simultaneously. You can also run the audio into a non-"party chain" system if you don't feel like shelling out the bucks for several of these systems. Maybe I'm short-sighted at the moment, but I see that feature being mostly useful for clubs and venues like that.

Now for my frustrations.

The speaker wires aren't long enough to give you a lot of flexibility in where to place the speakers. This isn't so much a problem if you don't mind keeping the speakers within maybe 5-6 feet of the stereo, but really frustrating if you're setting this up in your living room and need to route them around some furniture. They don't use standard speaker wires you can just replace with longer wires, so you're kind of stuck with what you get short of finding extensions that work with the plugs they use (I honestly have no idea if you can buy anything like that). To make things even more frustrating is that, even though the speakers are labeled "left" and "right", the wires come out of the left side of each of the speakers, so you instantly lose about 1.5 feet on the left speaker because you have to run the wire across the back of the speaker toward the stereo. This is just engineering laziness. Not what I'd expect for a $1,000 system. To add to the frustration, some moron in the factory slapped a big read warning sticker on top of the left speaker about how to properly lift the speaker without injuring yourself. It doesn't peel off easily, so I presume it was meant to be permanent. It looks terrible and took more time scrubbing it off with alcohol and a credit card than it took to setup the whole system. Not cool, Sony. Not cool.

The advertising and manual boast about this great "virtual football" mode that you can use while watching football (not sure if this is American football or soccer, or if it'll work with other sports at all, but the manual keeps referring to "football," darn it). Presumably, this would mean the system can handle audio output from your TV. Let's face it, if you're buying a $1,000 audio system, your TV is going to be pretty darned state-of-the-art, am I right? So here's the catch: there are zero digital audio inputs on this system. Zero. I was so dumbfounded by this that it took me nearly an hour to process that sad reality. The two external audio inputs use those old analog RCA plugs (white and red). My Samsung LED 3D Smart TV does not have RCA audio outputs. It has things like optical audio out and HDMI. In all fairness, the TV does have this obscure plug for a minijack to RCA out, but it's not a common plug you have laying around your audio cabinet--and it's still an analog output. Clearly this system was not designed to play well with digital inputs, whether it is TV or other high-end audio equipment. Others may disagree but, for me, this is a *huge* disappointment for something in this price range.

Finally, the DJ effects are mediocre. Even if they were cool, they always decrease the volume of the music when I use them, so any cool effect they produce is instantly dampened by the lower volume. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. You know, pushing the DJ effects buttons and expecting better results.

My final verdict: It's a cool system for parties and entertaining, especially if feeding it digital audio input from external devices isn't an interest of yours. If you're looking for something a bit more versatile for your home entertainment room, I'd suggest picking up a decent surround sound receiver, some decent speakers (that are much smaller than these), and buying some LED strobe lights if the light show is important to you.

Adonit Jot Pro Fine Point Stylus for Apple, Android, Kindle, Samsung, and Windows Tablets - Silver
Price: $29.99
3 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very stylish, works great, March 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very nice looking stylus with a nice solid feel to it. The clip is part of the body of the stylus and looks really cool. It works great with my iPad Air. It's a smooth glide and I've not noticed any breaks/skips in my writing I've experienced with other styluses. I primarily use it with the Penultimate app, which is great for handwriting since it allows you to zoom in.

Annex Quad Lock Bike Mount Kit for iPhone 6 - Black
Annex Quad Lock Bike Mount Kit for iPhone 6 - Black
Price: $69.95
6 used & new from $51.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I want in a bike mount! A very well-designed product., March 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The mount is extremely easy to attach and detach using two rubber rings (you can optionally use zip ties for a more permanent attachment). Locking the phone in is just a matter of pushing the phone down onto the mount so that it lines up properly with the hole on the back of the case and giving it a slight twist to lock it into place. To release, you simply push down on the blue release mechanism and give it a slight twist. Quick and simple.

The case itself is darned near perfectly designed to protect the edges of the phone and allow it to easily snap onto and off the mount without adding much more bulk to the phone. In fact, the case isn't much thicker than my Spigen Slim Armor case, so it's something that can be comfortably left on the phone all the time if you don't mind the slightly raised quad lock hole on the back. The poncho cover slips over the front of the case and wraps around to the back of the phone, covering every hole and crevice not already covered up by the case. I've noticed no degradation in the sensitivity of the touchscreen (other than the obvious inability to be able to use the iPhone fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone) when the poncho is on it. It fits so snugly that I can't imagine much water being able to get to the phone if the whole thing was dropped into a puddle (but I wouldn't recommend testing it). All in all, this is exactly what I want in a bike mount for my phone. It's a very well designed product.

Logitech Ultrathin Magnetic Clip-On Keyboard Cover for iPad Air, Space Gray
Logitech Ultrathin Magnetic Clip-On Keyboard Cover for iPad Air, Space Gray
Price: $59.99
24 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Thin, looks great, works very well!, March 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice change from my Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Folio. My biggest gripe with the Keyboard Folio is that Logitech did really weird things with some of the key placement, like putting the "home" button where the 1 key is on almost every single other keyboard. This keyboard does it right. It's a decent size, so you don't feel like everything is squished together, and the keys are right where they should be. The iPad snaps firmly into the cradle and offers a lot of flexibility in viewing angles. It holds well enough that you can use this in your lap, in a car, on a subway, etc.

Don't confuse this for a keyboard case. It is not, and you'll be frustrated if you expect it to act like one. With that said, the keyboard has a hinge that pops up and magnetically snaps to the iPad when the iPad is placed facedown on the keyboard and slid back in place. I didn't realize it did this at first and was frustrated that I kept having to struggle to get that hinge to pop up (note to self: read the directions). The keyboard itself is about as thin as the iPad and is made of the same or very similar material, so this is a great visual pairing. When in the closed position, it's not very thick at all. There is no locking mechanism or anything keeping the iPad from flipping open. The only thing holding these things together is the magnetic hinge and once the iPad is opened to a certain point, they come apart. Not a problem for carrying or sliding into a bag, but possibly a big problem if you drop it. If you want to use just the iPad, you can't simply fold the keyboard under the iPad. You have to detach it (which happens automatically when you open it up) and find a place to put it. Trying to hold both together is an exercise in futility.

NEET Cable Keeper Cable Manager - Frustration-Free Packaging - Light Blue
NEET Cable Keeper Cable Manager - Frustration-Free Packaging - Light Blue
Price: $12.00
3 used & new from $12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars No more tangled and damaged cables!, March 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one of those things you don't realize would make your life easier until you've actually tried it. My first impression was that this was a solution in search of a problem--until I actually used it. I'm constantly hauling charging cables back and forth to work and around my apartment and nothing is more frustrating than tangled cables. My laptop charger is the worst (Macbook Pro's thin charging cable) and is constantly getting tangled up because I usually just toss it in my bag on the way out the door. The NEET really makes the process simple. Because it holds its shape, you just need to fold the cable and drop it into a pocket or your bag and never worry about tangled cables again. This will also help extend the life of the cables by eliminating the need to wrap them in ways that probably damage them in the long run. The different colors that are available make it easy to quickly identify cables by the color used. Getting cables into the NEET is easy: just slide one end of the cable through the loop at the top of the NEET and then gradually zip it closed around the cable. I'll probably be buying a few more of these soon.

Lenmar MAVEN, iPhone 6 Battery Case, Double Your Battery Life (3000mAh), MFi Apple Certified, Sleek: Includes Audio Extension Cable and Micro USB Charge & Sync Cable - Matte Black
Price: $79.99
10 used & new from $75.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely convenient without being much bigger or bulkier than other non-charging cases, March 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I received this just before a 3-day trip to Universal Studios in Orlando, which made for a perfect opportunity to test it. I have a Spigen Slim Armor case I normally use with my phone. The Lenmar battery case does not add much more size or weight than the Spigen case, other than maybe an extra inch or so on the bottom where the battery is located. The top of the case detaches, making sliding the phone in and out of the case hassle-free. There's a nice big button on the lower rear of the case that shows how much charge is left. Turning charging on and off requires a 3-second press, so you don't have to worry about bumping the button switching the charging status.

Lenmar claims the case will charge a phone 110%, and my usage leads me to believe that's probably accurate. I have a lot of apps on my phone, many of which use GPS and other battery-eating processes. I let the battery get down into single digits before turning on the case, and within what seemed like a short amount of time, I was already back up near a full charge. I never once had a problem with it.

Being able to charge the phone and the case with a micro USB cable without removing the phone is convenient. When you do this, the phone will charge to 100% first, and then the case will begin charging. I've noticed that after doing this, the case will be in charging mode when unplugged--which will keep your phone at 100% as long as the case has power left--but something to note in case that's not what you want.

EAS Hydrate Workout Supplement, 9.6 Ounce
EAS Hydrate Workout Supplement, 9.6 Ounce
Price: $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Tastes good, seems to do a good job of quenching my thirst, February 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While I can't say if this is more or less effective than Gatorade, Powerade, and other sports hydration drinks, EAS hydrate does seem to quench my thirst fast while working out. It tastes sort of like Tang or Hi-C, and doesn't leave any nasty aftertaste or anything like that. It seems a bit thick, but not syrupy. I usually add a bit more than the recommend amount of water and am good to go. The price isn't bad, but definitely more expensive than the Gatorade powder mixes where you can get roughly twice as much for about the same price.

Little Miracles Organic Energy Drink, Green Tea and Ginseng, 11.16 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Price: $29.18
2 used & new from $29.18

3.0 out of 5 stars I like the taste, but not feeling much of an energy boost, January 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First off, I like the taste. I swapped out my morning coffee with a bottle of this and it was a pleasant change. First off, it's tea mixed with other fruit flavors. If you hate tea, you'll hate this. I've noticed that others are complaining about the amount of sugar in it. It has 21g of sugar. My typical small Dunkin Donuts coffee with cream and sugar has about 17g, so I'm personally not all that concerned.

As far as energy goes, I'm not feeling an extra boost. If there is one, it's either subtle or delayed. The good news is that it's not leaving me jittery like some energy drinks and the lack of carbonation is nice. The downside is that it probably wouldn't get me through a rough morning like a cup of coffee or a Red Bull would.

ZAGG Rugged Folio Case, Durable, Hinged with Detachable Backlit Keyboard for iPad Air - Black
Price: $121.15
19 used & new from $92.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well done product!, January 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Attaching this case to the iPad definitely bulks it up. I'd say it's roughly the same weight as my Macbook Pro 13", though obviously much smaller. Once the case is on, it looks like a small laptop. The case is definitely rugged. While I haven't thrown it around the room, dropped it out of a moving vehicle, or given it a good kicking, I'm confident this will take quite a bit of abuse and still protect everything inside. It's the kind of case I want for traveling, camping and other outdoor adventures, and things like that.

When the case is on, all the ports are accessible. The volume and on/off buttons are covered, but usable. Everything else, including the camera, is inset. All the corners and edges (the black areas in the photo) are non-slip, so you don't have to worry much about it sliding around.

The case opens like a laptop and will hold the iPad in whatever position you leave it in (versus those cases that only have a limited number of viewing angles). The keyboard turns on and connects almost instantly. What I really like, though, is that the keyboard is laid out like almost every other keyboard you have. You'd think this would be a no-brainer, but I also have a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Folio, and it frustrates me because, for instance, the home screen button is located where the 1 key is on most keyboards. Imagine how frustrating it is to be typing, hit what you expect to be the 1 key, and get kicked out of the app you're working in. Not a problem with this ZAGG keyboard. The backlight is also a very nice feature to have, and it has 3 levels of brightness.

If all the above wasn't enough, the ZAGG allows the iPad to detach from the keyboard with a light tug--and it still remains protected with a solid case around it. It easily snaps back onto the keyboard with strong magnets, and can even be flipped around so the iPad faces out for watching videos, and closed when you don't need the keyboard.

This really is a great product, in my opinion, and I can definitely seeing it being useful for military, law enforcement, travelers, outdoor adventurers, and more. After seeing mine, the university I work for is considering purchasing some for the loaner iPads they use in the law school.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20