Profile for evanjamesroskos > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 135

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

evanjamesroskos "ejr" RSS Feed (nj)
(VINE VOICE)

Price: $16.99
186 used & new from $3.10

4.0 out of 5 stars wow, February 11, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (Video Game)
as a relatively Xbox 360 newbie (purchased one March '10), I didn't get the thrill of playing the original Dead Space. However, when I played the demo for DS2 I knew I would trade something in on release day.

I am not disappointed.

this game freaks me out. alot. I played it at night with stereo headphones and it both helped and harmed me. Helped because I had a better sense where some of the creeping uglies were at in relation to me; harmful because the sounds -- THE SOUNDS! it's horrifying. There are a couple of GREAT jump-scare moments, too.

I was able to pick up on the mechanics of the game pretty quickly -- months of Borderlands and COD last year probably helped. The weapon types don't require you to be SUPER accurate, but once I mastered some attacks using the kinetic abilities I saw an improvement in my ability to stay alive. (Nothing like shooting off a creatures arm, immediately 'grabbing' it, and then launching it into the creatures leg/body/face.)

I completed the game in 10 hours with only two sections of the game (toward the end) giving me some headaches. I'd warn people that even on normal there's a steep difficulty change in chapters 13 & 14. look around for nodes and cash -- focus on upping just 1-2 weapons as well as the stasis ability. it will make a difference in those late stages.

Anyway, highly recommended game for people looking for a game that can scare you and reward your ability to shoot off creatures' limbs.

The Other Guys (The Unrated Other Edition)
The Other Guys (The Unrated Other Edition)
DVD ~ Mark Wahlberg
Price: $8.95
122 used & new from $1.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly good, December 9, 2010
Don't get me wrong, my wife and I are big fans of Will Farrell. Even when the movies themselves aren't great, he makes us laugh. I completely realize that there are people who don't like Farrell -- but this movie might -- MIGHT -- make those people laugh. Here Mark Wahlberg takes on the more outburst-y role while Farrell plays it a bit more reserved. Both roles give these guys moments to shine.

I actually didn't expect this movie to be as good as it turned out -- it seemed a little below the radar leading up to its release. But it has all the stuff that makes a Farrell movie great -- repeatable lines, improvised stuff, and perhaps best of all his relationship with his wife and Wahlberg's response to the ludicrous nature of it.

Anyway -- worth renting if you haven't seen it, and worth getting for those Farrell-friends that you have in your life!

Legends, Lore, and Lies: A Skeptic's Stance (A Longman Topics Reader)
Legends, Lore, and Lies: A Skeptic's Stance (A Longman Topics Reader)
by Joseph T. Calabrese
Price: $28.88
56 used & new from $3.05

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but no real believers, November 22, 2010
I looked through this book for the "believers" essays that the description mentions, but there's only one and even that is too short to really use in a classroom. I'd like a more robust selection of believers to give my students a chance to flex their skepticism muscles. The skepticism essays are pretty good, especially the ones about the Bible Code and the use of the word Mongolism.

Anyway, if you want a book to help teach skepticism or as a component of a writing course (composition courses can use the skeptical stance in effective ways) then check this out. Just beware that the believers don't get their say.

Pretty Hate Machine: 2010 Remaster
Pretty Hate Machine: 2010 Remaster
Price: $10.55
61 used & new from $4.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Pristine, November 22, 2010
I'm not sure what the hardcore NIN fan thinks of this release -- these days it's hard for me to predict whether people will be thrilled when presented with a remastered version a classic or outraged that someone dared touch it. Perhaps George Lucas's obsession with messing with Star Wars has soured some. Perhaps others only need hear a few minutes of Dave Mustaine's "remastered" Megadeth albums.

there seems to be nothing to worry about here. Reznor is not simply a musician, a master of guitar or drums or synths only. When it says that he oversaw this, fans both hardcore and casual should know that a remastered Pretty Hate Machine is going to be worth the price (and at $8 on release from Amazon, how can anyone complain?)

I am impressed by the clarity of the remaster, especially since there seems to be no issue with loudness (popping, cracks, etc) that I've heard on other remasters from other bands. Again, Reznor & Co. know what they're doing.

If you are hesitant, don't be. For this price and this album you will hear things you never noticed and still have that core awesomeness that is Pretty Hate Machine.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2011 12:06 PM PST

Logitech Surround Sound Speakers Z506
Logitech Surround Sound Speakers Z506
Price: $69.99
62 used & new from $50.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, September 12, 2010
SETUP
Plug the cables into their color-coded spots, arrange speakers, adjust volume, enjoy. It's really that simple. I think getting them out of the box took the longest (each speaker was individually wrapped in a bag, each cable was wrapped -- the kind of packaging that keeps things protected in shipment but results in a bit of a long unpacking. big deal.)

BUILD QUALITY
The subwoofer is strong and not overly large. But it's a subwoofer, so don't expect it to just disappear.
The satellites are lightweight; sleek and small.
The cables are pretty long -- and Amazon or Monoprice most likely have extensions if you need them.

SOUND QUALITY
I am impressed. These are replacing a pretty old but well-used Altec Lansing 2.1 computer speaker system. I didn't expect a 5 piece speaker set to do anything special with music, but the rear speakers had a great atmospheric quality -- little details in songs I've heard hundreds of times stood out.
The only con I can say is that the vocals are a bit muddled in the mix, if that makes sense. Instrumental music sounds great, but unless you are sitting in the center of the soundfield, the vocals will get a bit lost. Not as bad as it could be, but noticeable.

As for TV/Movie sound, I was more than happy considering that this is just a system that plugs in. I had a surround sound system with a decent Sony receiver a few years back and while this is clearly not going to compete with a full system, it worked really well as a substitute for our Samsung LCD speakers (which struggle to project in our living room which is not exactly square and 20'x20'). Despite the size of our room, the center, left, and right channels are great for dialogue and sound.

I played some Borderlands on my XBOX 360 and just said WOW. I haven't played a video game with surround since the original Tomb Raider (ah, college). These speakers ROCK for gaming.

OVERALL:
These speakers exceeded my expectations. My needs are not the most demanding anymore, but I know what a good speaker sounds like. These are good!

Simply from Scratch
Simply from Scratch
by Alicia Bessette
107 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Strongly recommended, September 12, 2010
This review is from: Simply from Scratch (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Alicia Bessette's debut marries a big social issue with an intimate story of mourning. From the opening page there's a sad edge to the humor found in Zell's narration that neatly highlights both the setting (a wintery Massachusetts's town) and the tenuous bonds between characters that once felt united forever. The relationship between Zell and Ingrid gives the story its best, most emotionally profound moments -- moreso than the romantic moments between Zell and Ingrid's determined but struggling single-dad. I assume Bessette understands that a novel about recovering from the loss of a husband one loves completely would be made trite by a storyline that revolved solely around a love interest. More importantly, though, this is not a book about one connection but many connections -- from the bonds of local townspeople to the unexpected links between people brought together through tragedies big (Katrina) and small (the death of a husband that everyone loved).

I read this book in just two sittings, propelled forward by the voice and curiosity as to how things would work out (hoping it would not be a neat, overly sweet finish -- the kind I'm usually not satisfied by when there's a major social crisis involved). As it turns out, I was not disappointed, because Simply From Scratch, despite all the things fiction can 'get away' with, does not pretend to be about a perfect world with perfect people; instead it's a book with the invisible, difficult to vanquish villains of pain and loss. Ultimately, the Katrina backstory involving Zell's husband (whose death is directly related to his time in New Orleans) fits perfectly in terms of tone -- the details of the Katrina aftermath stand on their own and also work as a metaphor for Zell's own life disaster -- how she will have to save what she can from the rubble.

While this can be a difficult line to walk, Bessette doesn't leave the reader thinking that Katrina is a convenient contemporary issue that serves her characters. She avoids insulting the survivors of that real tragedy by celebrating survival and community in both storylines. It's a compelling use of the real life moment. In fact, I think the author would be more than capable of delving into Katrina more directly in a future book.

PUR 3-Stage Horizontal Faucet Mount Gray FM-9100B
PUR 3-Stage Horizontal Faucet Mount Gray FM-9100B
Offered by Since 1901
Price: $27.60
28 used & new from $23.39

5.0 out of 5 stars no leaks in more recent design, August 31, 2010
I saw all the negative reviews on here and noticed that many of them were from a few years ago and many of them were due to poor construction of the filter hardware. I bought my PUR about 3 months ago and just came on here to buy my first new filter -- I thought I'd mention that the unit has not leaked at all since installation. I agree with those who saw that the clearance is affected by the unit, but with a goose-neck faucet you might find the filter hardware as intrusive.

Just thought I'd chime in and let people know that the newer design works well for us!

The Four Fingers of Death: A Novel
The Four Fingers of Death: A Novel
by Rick Moody
148 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading is FUN for the first time in a long time, August 18, 2010
THE FOUR FINGERS OF DEATH will remind you that storytelling is supposed to be fun. It's supposed to stretch the imagination. It's supposed to make you laugh and cringe and cry and smirk and push yourself forward to find out what happens next.

Put simply, I have not had this much fun reading a book -- on nearly every page -- in a long, long time. The second half, especially, feels like a farcical look at contemporary America while the first half has the more gritty suggestion of life during wartime. Truly, this is a book about today and how we got here and what we think we're going as a nation that wants to be optimistic but does pessimistic things. but it's also just a crazy story about the desolation of space travel, paling booths, talking chimps, and a killer bacteria from Mars. And even with all the hilarious, quirky, imaginative chunks, there are some deeply emotional relationships -- some that are variations on the core love affair that helps initiate the whole novelization-within-a-novel plot.

It can be read deeply or not. It can be read slowly or not. But i cannot imagine someone failing to enjoy themselves! I cannot recommend this book enough and yet I hesitate, briefly, because I want everyone I talk to about this book to find it as bizarre and addictive as I do. it's not going to happen, of course, because we all have different needs and interests as readers.

Read it. Let it take its time. It will turn inside out, surprise you, impress you. And you won't have more fun reading anything else. ever.

Saucony Originals Men's Jazz Low Pro Vegan Sneaker,Java/Natural/Olive,12 M US
Saucony Originals Men's Jazz Low Pro Vegan Sneaker,Java/Natural/Olive,12 M US

4.0 out of 5 stars love them; hope they hold up, August 18, 2010
these shoes are comfortable -- i teach so I'm on my feet a bunch (though not as much as a devoted retail employee!). the laces seem like they won't last and i'm not sure how well the shoes will hold up to constant use (i'm not a multi-shoe kind of guy). the shoe is lightweight, breathes well. a good summer shoe. i doubt they'll work well in wintery weather, though. I'd buy more by this company. I've worn Earth shoes and other vegetarian/vegan friendly brands. these are good and not as expensive as Earth shoes.

Pampers Cruisers Dry Max Diapers, Size 3, 116 Count
Pampers Cruisers Dry Max Diapers, Size 3, 116 Count

3.0 out of 5 stars poop leaks, August 18, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Lots of the reviews here have already pointed out the key issue with the Pampers Cruisers -- poop leaks. We haven't had any urine leaks, but poop does manage to come up the back. Personally, I'm not super annoyed by this because our baby (5 months) tends to only poop every other day and it doesn't leak every time. but, I'm not thrilled with stains on his adorable clothes! plus, his pooping will surely increase as we introduce solids. So, it looks like we'll use these as he learns to move (rolling has begun) but will have to find something else to deal with the poop issue.

i will say that I don't find these diapers too rough or uncomfortable. our baby seems okay in them and hasn't had any rash outbreaks.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14