Profile for prisrob > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 70

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

prisrob "pris," RSS Feed (New England USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Leap: Leaving a Job with No Plan B to Find the Career and Life You Really Want
Leap: Leaving a Job with No Plan B to Find the Career and Life You Really Want
by Tess Vigeland
Price: $11.94

5.0 out of 5 stars "What The Hell Are You Doing?", July 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It was the voice that I noted the first time I tuned into 'Weekend Marketplace'. What a marvelous mellow voice that captured all the excitement of the information she was about to share. And, the laugh, there were lots of laughs, unexpected in a financial program for the public on NPR. I tuned in week after week at 3pm on Saturday afternoon. Then, all of a sudden, she announced she was leaving, Tess Vigeland was leaving Marketplace.

And, now, here she is telling her story. Tess Vigeland left the job she loved and worked so hard for, without a plan, without a future. All she knew was that she had to leave. Tess Vigeland, does not want to burn her bridges, so she has not given the reasons why she left. What she has done is give us her experiences after taking the Leap, and combined with other people's stories, some research and has given us a superb book that is filled with wisdom and some forms of lunacy, she says, on her part. This book is for everyone, not just those leaving their jobs and looking for their life's role. The book is very funny at times, will bring tears at times, but all in all is such an informative read that will bring 'aha' moments to us all.

Tess starts her book with the speech to the World Domination Summit in Portland, Oregon in 2013, about six months after she left her job. This is an important speech, and it gives the preface for the entire book. People stood and cheered after hearing this speech, an editor at Random House Publishing heard her speech and a few days later offered her a contract to write about her experience as she took the leap. Combined with her young life, her growing career, Tess shares her job experiences and growth and her time at NPR. We are with her almost every step of the way, as she takes the steps into self-realization and explores her future. We come to understand that almost everyone who takes the Leap from their professional life to no plan has the same type of reactions, physically, financially and emotionally.

I particularly enjoyed her insights into why and how she reacted a few days and months after she left her job. The support of her family was imperative, she found. Talking with like minded people helped her. Answering all the questions from people wondering why she left and what she was going to do now took energy, since she could not give them a really good answer. This is a guidebook of sorts, and as Tess says her guiding light was this expression, "What the hell are you doing?"

Highly Recommended. prisrob 07-28-15

Rubbermaid Easy Find Lid Glass Food Storage Container, 11.5 Cup, 2856007
Rubbermaid Easy Find Lid Glass Food Storage Container, 11.5 Cup, 2856007
Price: $11.97
14 used & new from $9.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect In Many Ways, July 28, 2015
In the past I had many plastic containers, and over the years they disappeared. With the recent information about plastic and our environment, I decided to purchase new glass containers. Little by little I will add to my collection.

Rubbermaid has a good reputation for their products, and their glassware and dishes are finely made. I purchased this large size, 11.5 cup measure glass dish or several reasons.

1. Glass is best for storage of any food products.
2. The lid is superb and very easy to use, a built in gasket creates a seal- just tap the circle and the lid is secure.
3. Storage ability- the lid is stackable under the glass.
4. However, the bowl us in use so often, I rarely stack it.

'The clear tempered glass food storage container snaps to the bottom of the container to make sure the lid never gets lost.' This dish is large enough for a great amount if found. I Often bring fruit salads to gatherings and this is perfect for that use. You cannot go wrong with this purchase.

Recommended. prisrob 07-28-15

Children's book : Dave the Brave Sawfish. A beautiful illustrated picture book for kids, Bedtime story for kids, Early reader book, teaches values. Happy children's book collection, book 4.
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Like Myself, I Want To Be Somebody Else, July 27, 2015
Do you have something about your body you don't like, most of us do. Do you do anything about this part of your body you don't like?

The author, Nirit Littaney, has written another of her wonderful books. She likes to provide lessons learned for the children who read her books. In this book we meet Dave, The Sawfish, his parents and his friends. Dave had a part of his fish body he hated, it made him self conscious, and he lost any self confidence he might have ever had. Dave had a very long nose with sawtooth ridges on it. The other fish at his school made fun of his nose, and they called him Nosy Dave. Dave's parents tried to tell him that his long nose was there for a reason, but he did not believe them. His mother told him he would need that long nose someday. But, Dave had no friends, and he felt all alone. Until one day, something happened that changed Dave's mind about his nose. When you read this book you will understand what I mean.

Parents/teachers will enjoy reading this book to their children, and the children will like to discuss what part of their body they do not like, and what they can do about it. They can also discuss how everyone is different, and we should like people for what is inside. The illustrations by Emily Zieroth, are bright, colorful and vivid. We can see from these illustrations all of Dave's friends and all of his adventures. I like the author's books, Nirit Littaney, always incorporates a lesson for children to learn, and it is important for children to discuss.

Upside-Down Magic
Upside-Down Magic
by Sarah Mlynowski
Price: $7.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Nuture Vs. Nature, July 27, 2015
This review is from: Upside-Down Magic (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My grandson and I each read books, and then we compare our reviews. My grandson who is ten, said this book was written for younger children. He has read the entire Harry Potter series, and felt this book was a step down from that series. He liked the premise, and felt the lessons learned were worthy, but not relevant to him. My grandson is a voracious reader, and knows of what he speaks.

I thought this was a cute book, and I agreed with him that younger children would benefit from this book.
The authors Sarah Mlynowski, Lauren Myracle, and Emily Jenkins have an excellent idea, and I wonder if they will turn these stories into a series. I also wondered how three authors could all work together. I would love to hear this story. The magic storyline has been written many times, and wondered how long this storyline will succeed. The authors are talented writers, and I found myself entrenched into the story, that is a good sign for success.

Battle Bugs #2: The Spider Siege
Battle Bugs #2: The Spider Siege
by Jack Patton
Price: $4.99
42 used & new from $1.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots Of Itsy Bitsy Spiders, July 27, 2015
My grandson, 10, and I are following this series quite closely. We both liked the first book 'Battle Bugs#1: The Lizards' that I ordered this book right away. And I pre-ordered the Frog book that comes out this week.

My grandson read the book first, and as he said, it was so good, he read it Licketty Split. I also read it in one setting, and we both enjoyed this one immensely. Though I do not like spiders, but my grandson does. The author, Jack Patton, follows the same type of framework in book #2, as the first, but this has an entirely different bug sector.

Max Darwin is the young boy who becomes involved in the world of bugs. One day he was looking at a spider and magically became involved in the world of bugs with Commander Barton. The commander has been fighting the reptiles and their Leader, General Komodo. The magical spell that inhabits Max to go to Bug Island can last for several days, but in reality he is gone for only short periods of time in his real world. This time the bugs are involved with spiders. Max is an intelligent boy, and he becomes involved at will. This is a fascinating and educational storyline that gives us more information about spiders and how armies work on the battlefield.

The author, Jack Patton, tells us he has always had a fascination with bugs, all kinds of bugs. He lives with his family and ant colony in the United Kingdom. Can you imagine what his household is like? My grandson and I look forward to his next book.

Piel Leather I.D. Tag, Black, One Size
Piel Leather I.D. Tag, Black, One Size
Price: $10.89
6 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive, Good Price, Useful, July 27, 2015
This review is from: Piel Leather I.D. Tag (Apparel)
A new suitcase that I love, the wheels turn on a dime, it is attractive and sturdy. However, I discovered no place for an ID tag. I snagged a temporary one at the airport, and then, I looked at Amazon and read the reviews and chose this one.

This Piel Leather ID tag I ordered in black, and it is attractive and functional. The insert for name, address etc was easy to slip in and out. There is a long strap to attach the ID bag to the suitcase. The closure is very secure, and it looks superb on my suitcase. I have had several people at the airport ask me about the ID tag, so it is noticeable. I like it, good price, attractive and useful.

Recommended. prisrob 07-27-15

Childrens Book:Willa the Wolf has Show and Tell (funny bedtime story collection-Values Book- Book 4)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing The Best To Show and Tell, July 26, 2015
Do you like show and tell? What would you bring to school to show to your classmates?

The author, Leela Hope, has written such a fun book for children. Willa the Wolf, has 'Show and Tell' day, and she and all of her classmates will be bringing in something to show to the other children. Even the Principal is coming for the day. She thinks and thinks about what she will bring, she has so many things she could bring. She asks her mother and father for their thoughts, and then she asks her brother, who teases her. Suddenly she has a thought. When you read this book you will see what Willa the Wolf decides to bring to school.

Parents/teachers will so enjoy reading this book to their children. The children will think about what they would bring for show and tell and discuss Willa's choice. The illustrations are bright, vivid and colorful, depicting the adventures of Willa. One of the best parts of this book beside the lovely story, is the use of rhyme in this story. The author, Leela Hope, uses rhyme, and this is the best method of reading a story, the lilting and the words rhyming, make us all feel good. There is a lesson to be learned as usual with the author's books, and this one is very special. I liked this book a great deal.

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
DVD
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Search For Love and Glory, July 26, 2015
The First Best Exotic Marigold Hotel was very well liked by audiences the world over, so it is no surprise # 2 came along. You know the old saying, 'not as good, but okay'.

It is difficult to replicate a film in a repeat, and though this was entertaining, I did skip ahead a few times. It was not difficult to put the theme and plot together and come up with the answer. The old hands were there, Dames Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy, Dev Patel and the addition of Richard Gere, (he must have needed the money). This time around Dev is getting married, but before the day, he and Maggie go to the U.S. to beg for money for a new addition or a new hotel. At home Judi and Bill have the sweets for each other, trouble with Dev and his fiancée, a couple of the order tourists are looking for love and Dev's mother is found. A few twists and turns but not many, and this is the same old story, the search for love and glory. Entertaining, however.

Me . . . Jane
Me . . . Jane
by Patrick McDonnell
Price: $12.55
79 used & new from $6.37

5.0 out of 5 stars The Childhood Of Jane Goodall, July 26, 2015
This review is from: Me . . . Jane (Hardcover)
My granddaughter, eight, requested this book for Christmas. She loves all things animals, and wants to be a Veterianarian like her mom.

This is a book about Jane Goodall as a young person. Her life is one of animals and in particular monkeys, chimpanzees. From an early age she reflected her interest in animals and it was displayed in her interactions in school and with others in her everyday life. As we know, she went on to become the biggest and most prominent proponent of chimpanzees. She studied them, lived with and wrote about them. Many books, films and articles have been written about her life. However, none of them concentrated on her life and a child. The author, Patrick McDonnell, has written a beautiful,y constructed narrative if her life. This is one that should interest every child and many adults. The illustrations done in pen and watercolor are extraordinary, and they reflect her life so well. They bring the child, Jane Goodall to life. I read this book before wrapping it for my granddaughter, and I was most impressed. We had such a good time discussing this book when I saw her at Christmas. This brings back many lovely memories.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 07-26-15

Popchips 6-Flavor Variety Count, 0.8-oz. Single Serve Bags (Count of 24)
Popchips 6-Flavor Variety Count, 0.8-oz. Single Serve Bags (Count of 24)
Offered by PowerforApple
Price: $34.95
4 used & new from $31.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Taste Good Treats, July 26, 2015
4.5 stars

My son was a big proponent of these chips, and I first tasted the Sour Cream and Onion. They were very good, and as the label states better for you. Well, not really, but you feel better eating these.

I received 6-flavor variety pack of 24, 0.8-ounce single-serve bags of chips. There are 4 original flavor which really lack pizazz, 4 BBQ, which are okay, 4 Sweet Potato which I liked very much, 4 Sea Salt and Bvinegar which left my mouth feeling puckered, 4 Sour Cream and Onion, and 4 Cgeddar. My favorites are the Cheddar and then the Sour Cream and Onion.

The chips are popped for flavor, with no artificial ingredients. These do taste fresh. I liked the size of the bags, a nice little treat, but I won't be buying them regularly, they are too addicting.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20