Profile for prisrob > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 65

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

prisrob "pris," RSS Feed (New England USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bobbi Brown Extra Eye Repair Cream 0.5 oz
Bobbi Brown Extra Eye Repair Cream 0.5 oz
Offered by colorandskin
Price: $62.00
8 used & new from $62.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent For Dry Sensitive Eyes, April 25, 2015
My eyes are sensitive, and I was concerned that this eye cream would be too much. However, I found it plumps the skin around my eyes, and my skin feels moisturized and soft. I have not noticed any sensitivity or irritation,mwhich us a big plus.

I use this morning and night. The cream is very rich, so only a small dab is needed. I warm it between my fingers, then pat gently around eye area. I am in my 60's, and I have tried many high end eye creams the last two years and this is the first to make a difference immediately. I noticed the plumpness first and some softening around the lines. There is not much information except to say it has natural peptides, natural plant oils, and humectants that target fine lines, wrinkles, dark circles, puffiness, and dryness. The dryness is very true, I no longer have any dry areas around my eyes. Wrinkles are still there, but fine lines seem softer.

This is an expensive cream, but the jar will last a long time if you use only a small dab. I have heard Bob I Brown say that she developed this cream for her own use. She skies in the winter and found her eye areas were becoming very dry.

Recommended. prisrob 04-25-15

Bobbi Brown Bobbi Brown Beach Shower Gel - Bobbi Brown Beach Shower Gel, 6.7 fl oz
Offered by Beauty Lush
Price: $29.61
7 used & new from $28.90

4.0 out of 5 stars The Scent Of Sea Breeze, April 25, 2015
Wow, I like this shower gel. I have been a fan of Bobbi Brown for years, and was given this shower gel as a gift. It feels quite luxurious I use a little dab and get a good lather on my loofah or wash cloth. When i rinse, my skin feels soft and smooth. The info states Pacific kelp is part of the ingredients.

The scent is lovely and light. I like the Beach fragrance line. this will bring back many fond memories of time spent at the beach, the sea breeze mixed with the scent of sun tan lotion and ocean spray. This lotion should take you right through the beach season and into the fall. Very easy to carry with you in your cosmetics bag. Another winner by Bobbi Brown.

The Waiting Room
The Waiting Room
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Institution Of Last Resort, April 25, 2015
Warning: once you start viewing this film,you will be unable to look away. You must continue, you must know what happens.

A day in the life of an Emergency Department, this one Highland Hospital in Oakland. This is a public hospital, you see everyone who walks or comes in. However, instead of emergencies. Most people use this emergency room for their primary care. Very expensive care, but they have no insurance, no money to see a regular physician. So, they wait until it becomes an emergency to them, and they come to the Emergency Room.

I must say at the outset, that the physicians and nurses who are featured, Cynthia Johnson, CNA, certified nursing assistant and Dr Doug White, Emergency physician, are a representative of the caring personnel in this hospital. The hours of unflagging work, on their feet, with people arguing to be seen now. An emergency room filled with people who all fill the criteria of need, a man who was shot and is now feeling numbness and tingling. A young girl whose face and neck are so swollen she cannot open her mouth, with a father who is so dejected and filled with guilt because he lost his job and cannot provide adequate health care for his daughter. A young man who has been worked up for testicular Cancer in a private hospital, but because he was found with no insurance his surgery was canceled and he was told to go to Highland Hospital. He and his significant other had lost a baby in miscarriage, and now they were dealing with this presumed Cancer. Shooting emergencies roll in, and the personnel need to stop their care of others to deal with the trauma. A 15 year old boy comes in with cardiac arrest and dies. The staff are sad but must move on to the next one.

This film was made in 2012 before the approval of ACA, and we hope the tide has turned, that most people with no insurance, are now covered. This is a very frustrating film to watch because we think the U.S. has the best healthcare in the world. That could not be more untrue. We have good healthcare for those who can afford it. This is an institution of 'last resort' for these people. We don't know the outcomes of most of these people. They come, they are seen, they leave. This is the life of the poor, the unemployed, our neighbors and friends.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 04-25-15

Kitchens of the Great Midwest: A Novel
Kitchens of the Great Midwest: A Novel
by J. Ryan Stradal
Price: $20.48

5.0 out of 5 stars She Did The Best With What She Had, April 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When a book you are about to read, is preceded by five letters to 'Dear Readers', from publishers around the world, you begin to wonder how a book could live up to this hype. The book more than delivers, it slows at times, but then instantly picks up the pace.

Lars Thorvald smelled of fish his entire childhood. As a boy, he somehow got talked into preparing lutefisk, an old Scandanavian Christmas tradition. By the age of 18, lutefisk was no longer a reality. But, the love of food never left Lars imagination. He became a chef with a pronounced tongue, he could imagine one food combined with another. He was a loner, looking for love, but it was not until a waitress Cynthia entered his life that he become whole. They married and had a child, Eva. And,then, things fell apart.

This novel is about Eva and her life, told from other peoples' points of view. Her family, friends and interested parties, relay the various stages of her life, episodes really, from birth to her mid twenties. Each story has a particular twist, the people all flawed, realistic and enjoyable. The Minnesota background comes through from the lutefisk to the venison. Eva, like her father, has a developed palate like no other. In her time she becomes a world renowned chef. She begins 'pop up' dinners, that require reservations years in advance. And, these dinners are held in totally unusual environments.

One of the fascinating aspects of this novel is that recipes are interspersed in the chapters. These are not your usual foods, these are foods particular to the people who know Eva. Eva is the middle ground around which everything turns. And wines, wine pairing with food is very important in this foodie world.

The author, J. Ryan Stradal, has given us a story about family, relationships, love and loss, all wrapped up in a love of food. What brings families together, usually a home cooked meal around the table. This is where our lives begin and where we come to know our families.

Hamilton Beach 59765 2 Speed Hand Blender
Hamilton Beach 59765 2 Speed Hand Blender
Price: $18.45
49 used & new from $15.53

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Sure This Will Last, April 24, 2015
Immersion blenders are very handy, and my last one disappeared. I purchased this one hoping it would work for a few months. It is OK, but not great. I make smoothies frequently, and this will work for some simple smoothies, however, adding ice cubes may make this an iffy project. I used it for my favorite cherry smoothie, and it worked, but I am a little leery if it ladting. It makes some grinding noises when I use it.

I will enclose the recipe for the Cherry Smoothie that I mak

1 cup frozen cherries
1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup ice cubes
Instructions
1. In a large cup (if using an immersion blender) or a blender, combine ingredients and blend until smooth. Add more coconut milk if necessary to reach desired consistency. Serve immediately.
Recipe provided by 12 Tomatoes.

Recommended Warily. prisrob 04-24-15

The Langdon Family

In the first volume of this trilogy, we meet the Langdon Family. From 1920-1953, each chapter is a year in the life. Different family members, but we get to meet and know them. I would say this is not a Stand Alone book, in order to fully assimilate this trllogy and this book, you have to know the back story. It gets confusing at times, trying to remember who is who and what family they belong to. Jane Smiley added a Family Tree, and that was my saving grace.

To bring us up to date, I am adding a paragraph from my review of the first part of this family trilogy, Good Luck'.

"Walter and Rosanna Langdon, the parents, and their six children, Frank, Joe, Mary Elizabeth, Lillian, Henry, and Claire. Each person has a definite personality, and we begin with the marriage of Walter and Rosanna. As they tell their stories of life on a farm in Iowa, we learn what a very difficult life a farmer leads. And, the wives, never stop with their work, from morning to night. However, Rosanna rarely complains, but we are privy to her thoughts and her actions. She of the beautiful face and long blonde hair. Walter, the father, conservative, hard worker, counts his meager pennies, loves his beautiful wife, and his children."

This second book begins in 1953, at Walter's funeral. Since the trilogy will cover 100 years, this book goes from 1953-1986- 33 years, thus 33 chapters. Again, each chapter covers a year in the life. Many of the family have moved to different parts of the country, California, Chicago, New York. We follow the political years of Kennedy, Jonestown, Vietnam, and as we move on, it brings our country's history into focus. Lots of new characters added to this family, lots of babies, and we watch them as they grow. In the first novel we went from the Depression to World War II. Now, we have the Cold War and Vietnam, we have an insider's view of our secret agencies work, private planes, money, new homes, schools, colleges, new jobs, and much more adultery than we could have thought. This age of free morals, birth control, and free love.

Frank, Joe, Mary Elizabeth, Lillian, Henry and Claire, move on, they fall in love, get married, new careers, children, mistresses and in-laws. These 33 years bring us to their children, and their lives. The Langdon family of 1920 moves into the new age. I reveled in the signs and scenes of our country moving on. This is a moving work of art, astounding, covering 66 years at the end of this second book. I look forward to the next novel, the end of the trilogy.

Recommended. prisrob 02-26-15

Greenwich Village: Music That Defined a Generation
Greenwich Village: Music That Defined a Generation
DVD ~ Susan Sarandon
Price: $16.49
18 used & new from $16.30

4.0 out of 5 stars History Is Accumulated One Day At A Time, April 24, 2015
What a striking film 'Greenwich Village: Music That Defined A Generation', brings us an era that many people don't know. These ten years, this era, these years changed lives and the world in a sense.

Folk music as we know it, started in the 1950's in Greenwich Village. This was the only place that those who felt they did not belong could go and feel themselves. Many of the 1960s folk music in this documentary, by Laura Archibald, are still working these 50 years later. And, in this documentary they are interviewed,filmed and many of their performances filmed. From the early days of the Civil Rights Movement which started in Greenwich Village, to the Vietnam War through the House UnAmerican Committee to the Nuclear Proliferation Treaty, all came through Greenwich Village.

In 1960, the New York City Police tried to shut down the Washington Square park where Sunday singers and musicians came together to sing and play in free concerts. Thus was born the protest movement. The protestor/musicians were many, and in this documentary, Tom Paxton, Judy Collins, Eric Andersen, John Sebastian, Peter Yarrow, Arlo Guthrie, Richie Havens and Buffy Sainte-Marie,all tell europe stories of this time. Social injustice was their theme, and it made it into their songs. They shared a sense of mission, and the ties bonded them. There are so many talented musicians who share their songs, all you will recognize, and the music will bring you back to that era.

Recommended. prisrob 04-24-15

The Parent Trap Two-Movie Collection (The Parent Trap / The Parent Trap II)
The Parent Trap Two-Movie Collection (The Parent Trap / The Parent Trap II)
DVD ~ Hayley Mills
Price: $9.52
42 used & new from $6.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Double Trouble, April 24, 2015
My granddaughter was looking for films to watch while recovering from surgery. Her mom picked this one, she had enjoyed this as a child. I think my daughter liked it as much this viewing.

Sharon McKendrick and Susan Evers, are both played by Hayley Mills, discover at summer camp how much they look alike. Then, they discover they both have a temper, a sense of revenge and the same birthday. At last they realize they are twin sisters, separated at an early age when their mother and father divorced.

They decide to switch places and go to each other's homes to meet their other parent. As you can imagine, this creates a lot of issues for both of them. Particularly when dad decides to marry a much younger woman. Plotting and planning, provides some of the funniest scenes of all. Maureen O'Hara plays the mom, and Brian Keith plays the dad. This is the kind of old fashioned humor we all loved, and this is the kind of film it is fun for the entire family.

Recommended. prisrob 04-24-15

Fancy Nancy: Super Secret Surprise Party: I Can Read Level 1 (I Can Read Book 1)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It Is Difficult To Keep A Super Secret, April 23, 2015
My granddaughter loves Fancy Nancy, and this is a book for those children beginning to read. However, you don't need to read by yourself to enjoy this book, an adult or friend can read it to you. I really like the way, the author, Jane O'Connor, introduces new words, and Fancy Nancy explains what they mean.

In this book, Fancy Nancy and her classmates are planning a party. This is a super secret party, and almost everyone in the class is participating. There are committees for every thing that has to do with a party. Fancy Nancy's committee is refreshments or food. Fancy Nancy will bring cupcakes, Ciara will bring chips and popcorn. While Fancy Nancy and her babysitter are out shopping she sees other classmates buying the products they will need for the party. Everyone wants to know who the party is for. When you read this book, you will discover everything you want and need to know. Surprises are difficult to keep secret. The illustrations by Robin Preiss Glasser are bright and colorful. They depict all of the adventures of Fancy Nancy, her family and classmates. This is such a fun book that everyone in the family will enjoy it. At the end of the book is a list of Fancy Nancy Fancy's words with the meaning of the word right beside it.

Recommended. prisrob 04-23-15

The Never Girls Collection #1 (Disney: The Never Girls) (Disney Fairies)
The Never Girls Collection #1 (Disney: The Never Girls) (Disney Fairies)
by Various
Price: $14.01
54 used & new from $13.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Some Where Over There, April 23, 2015
My granddaughter loves everything magical, and the addition of fairies is just perfect. This is a series of four books about a trip to Never Never Land. The author, Kiki Thorpe, had many visions of fairies and Never Never Land as a child. As an adult she could now write them down to share with other children.

The secret of Never Never Land is not to try and find it, but to be wisked up and brought to Never Never Land. Four young girls, Kate, Mia, Lainey, and Gabby all have different likes and reasons why Never Never Land would be perfect for them. Tinker Bell lives in Never Never Land, and each offense girls has their own adventures.

The four books are:
In A Blink
The Space Between
A Dandelion Wish
From The Mist
Each book has a different color,but connects all the girls in the different storylines. The illustrations by Jana Christy are all done is shades of grey to a dark black. They are very well done, and depict all of the girl's adventures. The type set us large soju for have a child beginning to read this will be perfect. Otherwise a chapter or two a day will bring forth lovely stories that any child would love.

Recommended. prisrob 04-23-15

The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch)
The Paper Bag Princess (Classic Munsch)
Price: $1.89

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lesson To Be Learned, April 23, 2015
Have you ever worn a paper bag? What would you do if it rained?

The author, Robert Munsch, continues with his wonderful books. The author has a keen sense of humor, and if the ending doesn't fit how you think, it is always the best. In this book, Elizabeth the Princess has a wonderful life, she has beautiful expensive clothes, she lives in a big castle and is going to marry Ronald the Prince. Then, one day, the big bad Dragon comes along, burns down the castle, steals her clothes and carries off Ronald the Prince. The Princess found a paper bag and decided to wear it. Then off she went looking for the Dragon as he left destruction in his wake.

Parents/teachers will enjoy reading this book to their children. The children will be laughing at the funny language and the Princess's antics. There are lessons to be learned, and it is not the usual ones. The illustrations by Michael Martchenko, are bright, vivid, and beautiful. This story is so funny that everyone who reads it will love the ending.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20