Profile for Pizzercat > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pizzercat "pizzercat" RSS Feed (Pittsburgh, PA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Richland® Votive Candles Green Vanilla Lime Scented 10 Hour Burn Set of 72
Richland® Votive Candles Green Vanilla Lime Scented 10 Hour Burn Set of 72
Offered by Quick Candles
Price: $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely smell, long burn time, March 9, 2013
The scent combination of lime and vanilla intrigued me and I'm not disappointed. The candles are also a nice color and are very economical when purchased 72 at a time.

TERK Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna
TERK Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna
Price: $49.99
47 used & new from $23.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent indoor antenna, January 11, 2009
I bought the Terk after my first HDTV antenna (RCA - Amplified Indoor Off-Air HDTV Antenna) broke when it fell to the floor. The Terk's reception is much better and I can leave it in the same location and position for all channels. I live in a large, hilly, northeastern city.

With the RCA, I was continually moving it around, trying to point its VHF component toward the window. This is how it fell to the floor, which broke the electronic UHF amplifier and rendered it useless.

Clooney Tunes & Others
Clooney Tunes & Others
10 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled to find Saxie & Company again!, September 12, 2008
This review is from: Clooney Tunes & Others (Audio CD)
I bought this CD because it includes "The Adventures of Piccolo, Saxie and Company," a favorite record from my childhood. This piece is a lovely way to introduce young people to the the instruments of the orchestra and their sounds, and how the instruments work together. That my primary focus was on music and musical activities from grade school through college was in no small part due to this my exposure to this story and the incomparable Victor Borge. I'm so happy to have it once again and share it with my own children.

Black Ships Before Troy: The Story of 'The Iliad'
Black Ships Before Troy: The Story of 'The Iliad'
by Rosemary Sutcliff
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.99
100 used & new from $0.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to introduce the classics and literature to boys, December 19, 2007
I read "Black Ships Before Troy" and "The Wanderings of Odysseus" to my then 8-year-old son, who was enthralled by both. Rosemary Sutcliff's prose is rich and lyrical, and the illustrations in our copies (by Alan Lee) were beautiful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2012 9:35 PM PST

D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths
D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths
by Edgar D'Aulaire
Price: $13.41
260 used & new from $4.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for all ages, December 19, 2007
I remember the summer I discovered this book over 30 years ago as a 10 year old. I was enchanted by the stories and the gorgeous illustrations, and after reading this book, I read D'Aulaire's "Norse Myths." I embarked on my own odyssey of reading most of the mythology books in our local library.

I recently finished reading "Greek Myths" aloud to my 7 and 9-year-old sons, and they loved it. My 9-year-old often borrowed the book and read ahead to himself, but he also stayed around to listen as I read the same selections to my 7 year old. We're now working our way through "Norse Myths."

The Truck Book
The Truck Book
by Harry McNaught
Price: $3.99
266 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars We read this four or five times each day, May 22, 2007
This review is from: The Truck Book (Paperback)
When my now 8-year-old son was about a year old, this was his favorite book. We read it endlessly, to the point that I would hide it in his bookshelf in hopes that we could read something else. But, he would patiently search through his books until he found it -- "The Truck Book." At some point, he totally lost interest in this book and in vehicles, but I've kept the book all these years because I have such fond memories of reading it together. Plus, I have it memorized!

Board Game Classics (Chess, Checkers, Backgammon)
Board Game Classics (Chess, Checkers, Backgammon)
Offered by deep_discount_dvd_cd
Price: $1.58
60 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for beginning players, December 4, 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
My sons (aged 6 and 8) play the chess game as much as they play any of their other GameBoy games. Both learned to play chess on a physical board prior to using the virtual version. The chess pieces actually battle each other, which seems to delight them. My husband, a rated chess player, says this version will keep them challenged for awhile.

More recently, both boys have been playing checkers, too, and they have asked me to teach them backgammon so they can play the GBA version. I highly recommend this chess/checkers/backgammon combo because it's a great value.

Let's Read: A Linguistic Approach
Let's Read: A Linguistic Approach
by Leonard Bloomfield
22 used & new from $36.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Still one of the best after 40 years, November 8, 2006
There are other, newer books out there which provide phonics-based instruction, but this reading book is still one of the best. And it's simple: no distracting pictures, no strange marks differentiating long and short vowel sounds. It works (as research has repeatedly proven in the 40 years since the book was written) because it relies on phonics and introduces phonemes in an order which logically builds on previously learned material. It's very repetitive, yes -- but that's how our brains learn.

My mother used "Let's Read" more than 30 years ago to teach me (at age 5) and my brothers (at age 4) to read. She also used it to teach a mentally retarded adult to read through an adult literacy program, and she used it again to provide remedial assistance to a 6th grader who was a victim of the whole language approach to reading. More recently, I used "Let's Read" to teach my then 5-year-old son to read. He was diagnosed with apraxia of speech when he was 2, so learning to talk and learning to read were difficult for him. He now reads several years ahead of his grade level. I also used the book to teach my second son to read, starting at age 4. This book works.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2006 8:38 AM PST

The Manipulative Child: How to Regain Control and Raise Resilient, Resourceful, and Independent Kids
by Ernest W. Swihart
Price: $12.64
94 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice, bad title, October 31, 2006
A better title for this book might be "The Anxious, Overly Reactive and Overly Involved Parent: How to Regain Control of Yourself and Raise Resilient, Resourceful, and Independent Kids," but that title is probably even more off-putting than the real one. The advice and methods are straight forward, uncomplicated, and just common sense. Most of the best teachers and parents I know use something very like stop/pause/redirect to teach their students and children to manage themselves.

To those reviewers who complain that the book is padded with too many examples, I think most readers want examples in parenting books because they provide a framework for applying the parenting advice. The most difficult thing about stop/pause/redirect is that it requires time and patience, and the authors do caution parents not to try it unless they can commit themselves to making the time (and managing their own behavior well enough) to be consistent.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2010 9:45 AM PST

In the Company of the Courtesan: A Novel
In the Company of the Courtesan: A Novel
by Sarah Dunant
411 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading -- ignore the review in the NYTBR, April 5, 2006
I'm adding my two cents because this novel received a lukewarm review from Erica Jong in "The New York Times Book Review." Jong, whose writing I've found entertainingly wacky at best, seemed to miss the point here. Maybe she felt qualified to review "In the Company" because she set one of her own novels in historical Venice.

I enjoyed this novel slightly more than I did Dunant's "The Birth of Venus," though that story seemed more original to me. Either one is a fine example of historical writing, and I look forward to Dunant's next book.

Page: 1 | 2