Profile for Monkdude > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 864

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Monkdude RSS Feed (Hampton, Virginia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dead Snow 2: Red Vs Dead [Blu-ray]
Dead Snow 2: Red Vs Dead [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Vegar Hoel
Price: $14.99
9 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked the first Dead Snow, loved this sequel, December 15, 2014
Humor, gore and all around fun. It is in English this time around, so no subtitles like the first film. If you like Shaun of the Dead, this should please you.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: Caesar's Warrior Collection [Blu-ray]
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: Caesar's Warrior Collection [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Andy Serkis
Price: $116.10
9 used & new from $112.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Now my favorite item in my collection, December 6, 2014
I found this by chance at the store for $80 and it is worth that and them some. The box didn't have any of the contents labeled but I did enough research online to know that it came with Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray), Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray & Blu-ray 3-D), 4 ape cards and a little booklet. I think some sets overseas also come with all the original Ape films on bluray. The bust itself is beautiful and close to life size. Very realistic and it looks much better in person than in any picture I've seen. Caesar now guards my ever growing blu-ray collection.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
DVD
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gone Baby Gone...oops, I mean Gone Girl, October 5, 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Amazon Instant Video)
Rarely does a David Fincher film let me down. I'm not too fond of The Social Network, but I like what he did with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Gone Girl in some ways reminds me of another dark thriller from last year called Prisoners. Both are great, but this one is perhaps the better of the two. Ben Affleck is a very good director and he proves here that his acting has only gotten better and better with each passing film. Rosamund Pike deserves an Oscar nomination. I remember her as a Bond girl in Pierce Brosnan's last turn as Bond and countless other mostly under the radar movies, but she finally gets a role to show her true acting talents. She is hypnotic to say the least. The whole supporting cast and writing is top notch as well. So far this and Begin Again are my favorite flicks of 2014.

Breaking The Fourth Wall (Live From The Boston Opera House) [Blu-ray]
Breaking The Fourth Wall (Live From The Boston Opera House) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Dream Theater
Price: $14.88
46 used & new from $10.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Dream Theater does it again, September 30, 2014
I own every single concert DVD and Blu-ray that Dream Theater has put out and this is my favorite. I read a complaint about the sound quality, but I thought it sounded great. I really like the song selection, mixing old and new tunes so every concert release has fresh material. Every band member is in top form as expected. Crazy technical guitar, bass and keyboard playing. James Labrie's vocals sound better here than he did when he was younger. Mike Mangini is a machine on drums and while I always respected his talent, this blu-ray has made me a huge fan. Worth every bit of $15!

Begin Again [Blu-ray]
Begin Again [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Keira Knightly
Price: $12.99
26 used & new from $10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great acting and music, August 30, 2014
This review is from: Begin Again [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I don't have as much time as I did in the past to write movie reviews and it has been a long time since I have written one, but I just had to say something about this one to hopefully get more people to see it. Begin Again is a great film with wonderful performances, music and even some humor that never felt forced. I had a free pass to see it, but I will surely be buying the blu-ray when it comes out. Mark Ruffalo is dare I say Oscar worthy and Keira Knightly has a good voice to go along with a very nice performance here. What an unexpected and pleasant surprise.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2014 11:13 AM PDT

Divergent(Blu-Ray disc, a DVD and a digital UV download certificate )
Divergent(Blu-Ray disc, a DVD and a digital UV download certificate )
DVD ~ Shailene Woodley
Price: $16.75
65 used & new from $10.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow, I didn't think I would enjoy this one, March 22, 2014
I didn't plan on seeing this film until I bought both Hunger Games steelbooks that came with two free passes. I was not expecting much at all due to the reviews, but I'm happy to report that Divergent is way better than the critics are saying. It's not quite up to The Hunger Games, but it also strays far away from the awful Twilight franchise, which I was initially afraid it would end up being. The story is interesting and the cast is pretty good, especially Shailene Woodley as Jennifer Lawrence lite. I have a feeling the sequels will be even better since this is really just a long, yet engaging setup.

300: Rise of an Empire (Blu-ray + DVD)
300: Rise of an Empire (Blu-ray + DVD)
DVD ~ Eva Green
Offered by Brand New Rarities
Price: $17.97
49 used & new from $7.58

4.0 out of 5 stars I dream of Eva Green, March 8, 2014
Not nearly as memorable as 300 and if it were not for Eva Green, 300: Rise of an Empire would be a 3 star effort at best. She is comes off as both sexy and scary, being that she is an evil warrior woman you don't dare mess with. There is an empty void where Gerard Butler's presence is missed. He has done a bunch of awful movies since 300 I know, but he was pretty good in the role of Leonidas. Overall, it is much of the same in terms of visuals and bloody action.

While far from spectacular, It's not boring in the least and I liked the fact that it is a prequel/companion piece/sequel all rolled into one.

True Detective [Blu-ray]
True Detective [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Various
Price: $24.99
16 used & new from $24.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Matthew McConaughey unleashed, February 19, 2014
This review is from: True Detective [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is an absorbing and dark crime drama on HBO that only lasts 8 episodes and will have a new cast and story next season. The writing is second to none and every supporting cast member, both small and large roles, fits just right. We all know by now that McConaughey can really act. After years and years of his talents being wasted, recent films like Mud, The Wolf of Wall Street and Dallas Buyers Club have put him on a career track that few actors ever experience. His work here on True Detective is in my mind the best thing he has ever done. Just hand him the awards and get it over with. Woody Harrelson plays a great foil to his very dark view of the world and the chemistry between the two is outstanding. The beyond beautiful Alexandra Daddario has a brief but "revealing" role. Sorry, just had to throw that in there. Game of Thrones is my favorite show, but now HBO has a real contender to fill that Breaking Bad void in my life.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2014 2:23 PM PST

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug [Blu-ray]
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug [Blu-ray]
Offered by Brand New Rarities
Price: $29.97
6 used & new from $14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars One Dragon to Rule Them All, December 15, 2013
I know that many people are split on the first Hobbit film, but I for one really enjoyed it. The Desolation of Smaug suffers from being the middle child and thus having no beginning or end, but it moves at a pretty good pace for being a little on the bloated side. All the acting, sets, music and action are top notch. Some of the FX are hit and miss, but the dragon Smaug is an absolute wonder in both look and sound (voiced by a deep and menacing Benedict Cumberbatch). Martin Freeman remains likeable as Bilbo and the addition of Orlando Bloom (back as Legolas) and Evangeline Lilly as a beautiful Elvish warrior makes for some entertaining fight scenes. It does end on a major cliffhanger as expected, but it felt like it was done to make sure people turn up this time next year for the third and final chapter. I could have easily ended a few minutes later after concluding this part of the story and using the next film to lead into The Lord of the Rings.

Carrie (2013) [Blu-ray]
Carrie (2013) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ ChloŽ Grace Moretz
3 used & new from $8.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't laugh at Carrie!, October 21, 2013
This review is from: Carrie (2013) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This version of Carrie is a modern take on the 1976 version, based on Stephen King's first novel. It adds a few new elements and the cast is quite good, but it is another remake that does not need to exist. We all know what is going to happen and it is nearly a copy in structure. Chloe Grace Moretz has the acting ability to almost make me forget that she is too pretty for the role. The prom scene lacked the impact of the original, but overall it was still enjoyable and better than most of the new takes on classic horror films. Worth at least one look.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20