Profile for Monkdude > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 866

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Monkdude RSS Feed (Hampton, Virginia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Big Driver
Big Driver
DVD ~ Will Harris
Price: $9.29
45 used & new from $1.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty faithful to the short story, February 1, 2015
This review is from: Big Driver (DVD)
It's a made for TV Lifetime movie, so I was not expecting it to be very good at all, but being a big Stephen King fan I knew I had to check it out. It is much more graphic than anything ever shown on that network I'm sure, though the only other movie I've seen on Lifetime is Lizzie Borden. Maria Bello is great in this. Without her acting talents this would be decent at best. She really elevates the material. Big Driver is dark and disturbing and worth a watch for King or revenge thriller fans.

Horns  [Blu-ray]
Horns [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Price: $12.96
43 used & new from $4.98

4.0 out of 5 stars This is not the Harry Potter you're looking for, January 22, 2015
This review is from: Horns [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Horns is really weird with a good mix of dark humor and horror elements. Daniel Radcliffe totally shakes off Harry Potter and delivers a solid performance, as does the entire supporting cast. Reviews were mixed, so I took a reasonable $12.99 gamble and now I'm glad to have it in my collection.

Dead Snow 2: Red Vs Dead [Blu-ray]
Dead Snow 2: Red Vs Dead [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Vegar Hoel
Price: $11.99
32 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked the first Dead Snow, loved this sequel, December 15, 2014
Humor, gore and all around fun. It is in English this time around, so no subtitles like the first film. If you like Shaun of the Dead, this should please you.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: Caesar's Warrior Collection [Blu-ray]
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: Caesar's Warrior Collection [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Andy Serkis
Price: $89.99
5 used & new from $64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Now my favorite item in my collection, December 6, 2014
I found this by chance at the store for $80 and it is worth that and them some. The box didn't have any of the contents labeled but I did enough research online to know that it came with Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray), Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray & Blu-ray 3-D), 4 ape cards and a little booklet. I think some sets overseas also come with all the original Ape films on bluray. The bust itself is beautiful and close to life size. Very realistic and it looks much better in person than in any picture I've seen. Caesar now guards my ever growing blu-ray collection.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
DVD
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gone Baby Gone...oops, I mean Gone Girl, October 5, 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Amazon Instant Video)
Rarely does a David Fincher film let me down. I'm not too fond of The Social Network, but I like what he did with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Gone Girl in some ways reminds me of another dark thriller from last year called Prisoners. Both are great, but this one is perhaps the better of the two. Ben Affleck is a very good director and he proves here that his acting has only gotten better and better with each passing film. Rosamund Pike deserves an Oscar nomination. I remember her as a Bond girl in Pierce Brosnan's last turn as Bond and countless other mostly under the radar movies, but she finally gets a role to show her true acting talents. She is hypnotic to say the least. The whole supporting cast and writing is top notch as well. So far this and Begin Again are my favorite flicks of 2014.

Breaking The Fourth Wall (Live From The Boston Opera House) [Blu-ray]
Breaking The Fourth Wall (Live From The Boston Opera House) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Dream Theater
Price: $16.99
44 used & new from $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Dream Theater does it again, September 30, 2014
I own every single concert DVD and Blu-ray that Dream Theater has put out and this is my favorite. I read a complaint about the sound quality, but I thought it sounded great. I really like the song selection, mixing old and new tunes so every concert release has fresh material. Every band member is in top form as expected. Crazy technical guitar, bass and keyboard playing. James Labrie's vocals sound better here than he did when he was younger. Mike Mangini is a machine on drums and while I always respected his talent, this blu-ray has made me a huge fan. Worth every bit of $15!

Begin Again (Blu-ray + Digital HD)
Begin Again (Blu-ray + Digital HD)
DVD ~ Keira Knightly
Price: $19.81
41 used & new from $7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great acting and music, August 30, 2014
I don't have as much time as I did in the past to write movie reviews and it has been a long time since I have written one, but I just had to say something about this one to hopefully get more people to see it. Begin Again is a great film with wonderful performances, music and even some humor that never felt forced. I had a free pass to see it, but I will surely be buying the blu-ray when it comes out. Mark Ruffalo is dare I say Oscar worthy and Keira Knightly has a good voice to go along with a very nice performance here. What an unexpected and pleasant surprise.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2014 11:13 AM PDT

Divergent (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD)
Divergent (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD)
DVD ~ Shailene Woodley
Price: $12.99
76 used & new from $5.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow, I didn't think I would enjoy this one, March 22, 2014
I didn't plan on seeing this film until I bought both Hunger Games steelbooks that came with two free passes. I was not expecting much at all due to the reviews, but I'm happy to report that Divergent is way better than the critics are saying. It's not quite up to The Hunger Games, but it also strays far away from the awful Twilight franchise, which I was initially afraid it would end up being. The story is interesting and the cast is pretty good, especially Shailene Woodley as Jennifer Lawrence lite. I have a feeling the sequels will be even better since this is really just a long, yet engaging setup.

300: Rise of an Empire (Blu-ray+DVD+UltraViolet Combo Pack)
300: Rise of an Empire (Blu-ray+DVD+UltraViolet Combo Pack)
DVD ~ Eva Green
Price: $12.29
68 used & new from $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I dream of Eva Green, March 8, 2014
Not nearly as memorable as 300 and if it were not for Eva Green, 300: Rise of an Empire would be a 3 star effort at best. She is comes off as both sexy and scary, being that she is an evil warrior woman you don't dare mess with. There is an empty void where Gerard Butler's presence is missed. He has done a bunch of awful movies since 300 I know, but he was pretty good in the role of Leonidas. Overall, it is much of the same in terms of visuals and bloody action.

While far from spectacular, It's not boring in the least and I liked the fact that it is a prequel/companion piece/sequel all rolled into one.

True Detective [Blu-ray]
True Detective [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Various
Price: $34.99
31 used & new from $23.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Matthew McConaughey unleashed, February 19, 2014
This review is from: True Detective [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is an absorbing and dark crime drama on HBO that only lasts 8 episodes and will have a new cast and story next season. The writing is second to none and every supporting cast member, both small and large roles, fits just right. We all know by now that McConaughey can really act. After years and years of his talents being wasted, recent films like Mud, The Wolf of Wall Street and Dallas Buyers Club have put him on a career track that few actors ever experience. His work here on True Detective is in my mind the best thing he has ever done. Just hand him the awards and get it over with. Woody Harrelson plays a great foil to his very dark view of the world and the chemistry between the two is outstanding. The beyond beautiful Alexandra Daddario has a brief but "revealing" role. Sorry, just had to throw that in there. Game of Thrones is my favorite show, but now HBO has a real contender to fill that Breaking Bad void in my life.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2014 9:07 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20