Profile for Chris's Daddy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 29

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chris's Daddy RSS Feed (San Jose, California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Bad Kitty (Book & CD)
Bad Kitty (Book & CD)
by Nick Bruel
Price: $9.16
52 used & new from $4.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, but more like Chester than the other Bad Kitty books, January 30, 2014
This review is from: Bad Kitty (Book & CD) (Paperback)
Most of the books in the Bad Kitty series are chapter books with black-and-white drawings, aimed at a third or fourth-grade reading level. This isn't like those--although Bad Kitty still has some attitude, it's a big, colorful, picture book designed to interest beginning readers (say, K through 2). If your child likes this but isn't ready for chapter books, try Chester, Chester's Back, or Chester's Masterpiece (all by Melanie Watt).

Bark, George
Bark, George
by Jules Feiffer
Price: $14.03
111 used & new from $0.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read-aloud book, January 30, 2014
This review is from: Bark, George (Hardcover)
I've been reading this to my six year-old girl since she was a toddler, and she has always loved it; now instead of me reading it to her, she reads it to me. Her first-grade class gives each student a chance to read one of their favorite books to the rest of the class; this was her choice, and it was a big hit with both the boys and the girls. The other kids especially loved the picture when the vet pulls a cow out of George.

Peanuts: You Can Be Anything!
Peanuts: You Can Be Anything!
by Charles M. Schulz
42 used & new from $1.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Not by Schulz, but not bad for very young children, December 25, 2013
Yet another in Running Press's line of fake Schulz books, but this one is actually pretty good despite the misleading author credit. It consists of a bunch of panels which show Snoopy indulging one of his fantasies. Some of them appear to be lifted directly from the original strips, with extra color and background, while the others are mostly very good copies. The text is mostly just a bunch of simple captions explaining what each fantasy is supposed to be, although the ghostwriters have added some rather clumsy text at the beginning and end, trying to emphasize the point that You Can Be Anything, Just Like Snoopy. Overall, it's a cute way to deliver a message that we all want our kids to hear, targeted at very young children.

Happiness Is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown
Happiness Is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown
by Jennifer Fox
Price: $11.19
95 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not by Schulz, and not very good, December 25, 2013
Charles Schulz did not write or illustrate this book, although most of the plot elements and pictures appear to be "inspired by" his classic strips. The artwork appears to be a series of screenshots from the 2011 DVD of the same name, while the dialogue is a clumsy adaption of that of the original strips, dumbed down for preschoolers and beginning readers. On the plus side, it did mostly hold my six year-old's attention for the five or ten minutes it took to read this. Still, there are thousands of better children's books to choose from, including many that really were written by Charles Schulz.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
by Sherman Alexie
Price: $11.67
362 used & new from $0.78

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for graduates of the Wimpy Kid series, November 22, 2013
If your child is now a teenager and loved the Wimpy Kid books a few years ago, then this is great as a kind of followup. It's very funny, but the humor is interspersed with some heavier material, including several deaths and the protagonist breaking his math teacher's nose when he throws a tantrum, but that makes the jokes that much more true. There are also a couple of scenes of Junior struggling with his, er, awkward emerging sexuality--again, very effectively played for laughs, but you can see why it's targeted for high schoolers. The Indian aspect doesn't seem to be that big a deal--the story could have been set in any number of small, struggling towns in this country.

A wonderful book, and a fine introduction to Alexie's work for younger readers.

Fast Food! Gulp! Gulp!
Fast Food! Gulp! Gulp!
by Bernard Waber
48 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read aloud book! How did this go out of print?, November 21, 2013
This review is from: Fast Food! Gulp! Gulp! (Hardcover)
First of all, let me say that I agree with all the positive things from the School Library Journal review, as well as dgordon's. My daughter absolutely adores this book--there's nothing she more enjoys reading out loud, or having me read to her, than this story. Lots of silly rhyming verse--some to read fast, some to read slow, some to read loud, some to read soft. It also has wonderful hand-drawn artwork.

Crayola Color Wonder Barbie Dress-Up Playset
Crayola Color Wonder Barbie Dress-Up Playset
Offered by Portlight
Price: $27.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Our daughter's favorite playdate toy., November 21, 2013
This was a Christmas gift, probably--I don't think we would have spent $30 on this toy if we had seen it ourselves, but it turned out to be a winner. Our daughter (six years old) hasn't played with it much by herself, but it's the first thing that gets pulled out when she has a friend over on a playdate, before even the real Barbies. My daughter and her friends love making different colors with and designs with the "dolls", and together they make up all kinds of backstories for the designs they create.

Un pedazo de pan / A Piece of Bread (Coleccion Bilingue) (Bilingual Collection) (Spanish Edition)
by Aida E. Marcuse
7 used & new from $16.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating for kindergarteners, October 30, 2012
I hated this when it was given to my then 5-year-old son as a gift, which turned out to mean that it appeals to children in a way that parents, or anyway this parent, could not relate to. The story is extremely simple--several hungry animals fight over a piece of bread, which eventually returns to its rightful owner, and the colorful, unconventional cartoon illustrations match the story. I didn't really understand why my son liked it, but he asked for it many times, and tells me today that it was one of the books he best remembers me reading to him (he's now 12).

I'd forgotten about the book completely until a few months ago when my daughter (now 5 herself) pulled it out of a pile of her brother's old books, and if anything she has been more devoted to it than he was. Perhaps the comic struggle between the animals speaks to a kindergartener's own insecurities--I don't know, but she definitely relates to this. Yes, I know, it's funny, but when I see her expression while I'm reading I know it's more than funny to her. I haven't tried reading it to her in Spanish yet, but she's listened to the story so many times in English that I'm sure she will learn a lot of Spanish words from it when I do.

Hopefully this will come back into print someday; the book definitely touched a chord in both my kids, and I've never seen anything else quite like it.

Monsters Eat Whiny Children
Monsters Eat Whiny Children
by Bruce Eric Kaplan
Price: $9.65
93 used & new from $0.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids who know what "kidding" means, May 10, 2011
I actually got this originally for my son (ten years old) to read, as a bit of therapy for when his three year-old sister gets on his nerves. I wasn't planning on reading it to her, since I thought it would be too scary. He liked it, but told me repeatedly that she would like it even more. Score one for my boy here; she thought it was hilarious, and wasn't scared at all. I think it worked because I already say lots of made up silly things to her that she knows aren't true, so Daddy "kidding" is already old hat. The author draws many cartoons for The New Yorker; if you have a liking for that kind of humor and think your child has inherited it, this is well worth a try.

Me Too! (A Golden Look-Look Book)
Me Too! (A Golden Look-Look Book)
by Mercer Mayer
Price: $3.99
279 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, simple story with a wonderful hook, May 10, 2011
Many of my childrens' favorite books have had what I call "hooks", memorable catch phrases similar to the chorus of a good pop song; there isn't one my three year old daughter loves to repeat more than this one. In fact, this is her favorite book in the whole world right now. It is also her ten year-old brother's least favorite book in the whole world, but I guess the truth hurts a little sometimes!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3