Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Ellis K. > Reviews

Browse

Ellis K.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ellis K. RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
The Cartoonist
The Cartoonist
Price: $5.38

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT buy this book if your child aspires to DRAW, February 10, 2016
This review is from: The Cartoonist (Kindle Edition)
This book is ridiculously deceptive and depressing. For a "children's book" titled "The Cartoonist," you'd think it'd be about a kid drawing comics and being fairly fun and positive.

No, the book instead proselytizes giving up "childish dreams and artistic endeavors" in favor of a depressing reality.

Imagine being 8 years old and buying this book because you love to draw and want to devour anything that elaborates upon your interests, only to find that the book is ACTIVELY telling you that drawing is a wasteful hobby and you should join the others in the living room spacing out in front of the TV with your miserable family.

The book literally tells you to give up on your passion and dreams. Its absolute garbage. Do not buy this for anyone.

Zen Pinball
Zen Pinball
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle HD performance not the best, May 12, 2013
This review is from: Zen Pinball (App)
So first, before anything else, I'd like to note that I'm a huge fan of Zen Pinball on PS3, and its subsequent release on PS VITA in the form of Zen Pinball 2. As such, I'm mildly disappointed by the fact that the older legacy tables aren't available for purchase, as the tables available to buy piece meal are all from either latter day DLC or are from the Marvel comics licensing partnership. I mean, if you're a fan of anything Marvel or Star Wars pinball related, this is definitely the game for you, but if you happen to be a fan of, say, that awesome Ninja Gaiden Sigma or the Street Fighter II table, you're out of luck.

All that said, I'm pretty disappointed with the performance issues I've seen while playing the one free table that comes with the download. At times it runs great, while at others it chugs and gets hiccups of choppiness. I would like to note that I was downloading another game (and noticed it installed too) and an HD movie in the background, so who knows if that affected it or not.

Even though I adore being able to play pinball on a beautiful vertical screen, I think I'm going to have to keep my Zen Pinball purchases strictly to PS3 and VITA. That framerate inconsistency is not assuring. mean, I'm under no delusions of the Kindle Fire HD's performance speeds in general, but for a game like Zen Pinball, it's kind of a killer.

I'm rating it 4/5 only because I know these are quality tables and a fun game, but honestly if I were to rate it on my brief impression of the port, I'd give it something less. Try the free table in the download yourself and see whether or not my issues appear for you.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2015 10:34 AM PDT

Canson Fanboy Comic book art boards 11 in. x 17 in. pad of 24
Canson Fanboy Comic book art boards 11 in. x 17 in. pad of 24
Offered by FineArtStore
Price: $18.61
2 used & new from $18.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good paper, February 20, 2013
I'm not experienced in trying out different art boards, but this was my first after asking a few comic-drawing friends, and as I'm in the process of working with it, I do quite like it. One thing, though, is that the paper-type doesn't seem to be able to handle finer pencil work that I might be able to pull off in my sketchbook's papertype, though I suppose that's not a very helpful thing to say without getting into the specifics which my vocabulary on paper isn't large enough to fulfill. Either way though it's nice.

Wristcutters: A Love Story
Wristcutters: A Love Story
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A genuinely endearing film, November 6, 2012
There's something to be said about the idea of trying to re-find love in purgatory, or the birth of a new one. I originally watched this on Netflix and it always stuck with me as being a film I'd like to own a copy of. Shannyn Sossamon plays as the film's female lead, perfectly capturing the essence of the sassy girl who enraptures your mind but is always at risk of slipping away from you; the independent, the punk, the girl two seats from you.

This is the film to watch if you're looking for something both a little different and a little familiar in your love story.

Evangelion Soryu Asuka Langley Summer Ver.
Evangelion Soryu Asuka Langley Summer Ver.
Offered by AKToyCollectibles
Price: $76.16
29 used & new from $75.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably adorable Asuka, be aware of different versions for faces, October 25, 2012
My first impression of this figure when I opened it up was how remarkably tall it was. It shows off excellent detail and shows off Asuka's figure beautifully. All of the accessories really just go to show off a level of adorableness for the whole figure, even though her little slippers are far too small for her to even wear to begin with. In fact, there's a peg on her standing leg that goes into the stand, so its sadly not meant for free standing beyond it. [Update: Actually, the peg is removable, so she can kind of stand on her own.... sort of.]

She has interchangable parts, notably an alternate bust, a different left arm, and hair split into a ponytail. Be sure to be patient with wriggling out the parts for each piece as you do end up having to take apart both arms and the bangs from the original setup that it comes in. The plastic is rubbery and sturdy, so I don't necessarily think there's worry in breaking.

Now, here's the part that kills me. I can't read Japanese, but the version that I got has a little thing on the box in a circle with two characters and "Ver." which suggests to me that there are alternative versions of this figure that aren't made obvious either on the internet from a quick look at sites like Hobby Search or even Big Bad Toy Store, as the difference is so small you wouldn't notice it unless it was what you were looking forward to.

The difference in question is the bust with a different facial expression. I think all versions come with the one where she's sticking her tongue out and has her right eye closed, but all places that sell this figure show only the stock images for the original version, including here on Amazon, that has a bust with Asuka glancing to the side, both eyes open. I am going to presume that this is actually bust 1, as there is numbering on the busts, with her sticking her tongue out labeled 2. I got bust 3 with bust 2, where she has her left eye shut and her right eye open looking forward, and a small smile. Its still remarkably adorable, but I was looking forward to the other face type. You can find a picture of this particular face as posted by someone on Figure.FM which I am only now seeing.

Despite my own slight disappointment, ts a terribly whimsical figure that should be a delight to have for any EVA or Asuka fan. I am writing this in late October in California, and the wind, sun, and weather outside only adds to the whimsy and elegance of the figure, what with her semi-translucent dotted dress and the aqua-blue stand that she stands on.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Kotobukiya Neon Genesis Evangelion: Rei Ayanami Ani-Statue (Ballerina Version)
Kotobukiya Neon Genesis Evangelion: Rei Ayanami Ani-Statue (Ballerina Version)
2 used & new from $240.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful little ballerina, October 3, 2012
This figure of Rei is very pretty at a glance. The way they handled her tutu and headpiece are just wonderful, but I admit I am not a terribly large fan of how her face was done; I'm something of a fan of the NEON GENESIS EVANGELIONE REI AYANAMI MAID SPECIAL EDITION ANI STATUE which is just absolutely stunning. I'm a little shocked to see the price on that to have skyrocketed at the time of this writing, but that's neither here nor there.

My only gripe with the figure is whatever paint or finishing they used for her actual leotard seems really weird, but that's a really small gripe to what's overall a beautiful figure. She actually comes with a small crescent-shaped plastic thing to sit on, but there are no grooves on it as its just a flat plastic that she could easily slide off of. The funny thing about the base is that it reminds me of the kind of cheap clear plastic you'd see in a fast food children's meal toy, with the kind of curious rigid durability that comes with that.

If nothing else, the figure is GORGEOUS to photograph with a soft cloudy morning filtered sunlight coming through curtains behind it.

I recommend the figure if you're a Rei Ayanami fan like myself.

Halo Reach Square Enix Play Arts Kai Series 2 Action Figure Lieutenant Commander Kat
Offered by ToyMom's Attic
Price: $59.95
7 used & new from $59.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Nicely large figure marred by quality control, October 2, 2012
So... I don't know if this'll apply to all copies of this figure, but the one I got had problems right off the bat. Its stupid to mention packaging status, but the torn box didn't instill confidence.

At first glance, this is a lovely figure of Kat, nice and big, reminds me a little of the Halo 2 Master Chief figure that used to be around. The problems start with the plastic pop packaging for the small parts, especially the pistol. The weapons are designed to be holstered onto the figure's body, so there are small pegs that are incredibly flimsy due to whatever plastic that they used for those parts.

Really wonderful detail on Kat, but the problems (at least for me) started with the ankle ball joint, which isn't incredibly obvious as to how you're supposed to pose them if they happen to be swiveled in the exactly wrong way from the word go, resulting in irreparable damage. Be sure to look at the lines on the ball joint before you try to start loosening it up.

Its worth noting that the build overall, for its size and the type of plastic they decided to use, makes it feel incredibly flimsy and of poor quality, very deceptively so. The hip/leg joint for the left leg became instantly loose even though I was careful to handle its articulation.

If you're the kind of person who's extra careful with his/her ball-joint figures, this might be worth getting to pose on your desk or whatever, but its clear that its not really meant to be played with or handled with even the slightest of stresses which is something of a shock considering other Play Arts figures I own. This is admittedly the first Kai figure I've ever purchased, but the weakness of joints and build quality is sorely disappointing.

The Hunger Games Movie "Katniss in Training Day Outfit" 7 inch Action Figures
The Hunger Games Movie "Katniss in Training Day Outfit" 7 inch Action Figures
Offered by goHastings
Price: $6.99
16 used & new from $6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars That is one ugly Katniss, October 2, 2012
I don't know what I was expecting, and yet at the same time I should have expected it. This is one ugly figure, and it smells like it was really cheaply made. If you were looking for some good Hunger Games merch, or at least a decent Katniss figure like I was, don't bother with this. Might be $17, but man...

I personally largely got it because of awesome training outfit that she wears in the film, but the figure itself is a disappointment, with weird painting and the texture of the figure itself is something of an oddity. Its the smell of the plastic that kills me the most, though. It has a hard time standing too, which sucks because there's zero articulation for the legs, with the hips only twisting and no swivel. Worth noting that it does not look like the picture at all, and I'm not even talking about the skin tone or quality in general, but arms on the figure actually have joints, but its not really to its credit.

I'll probably keep it around just for the hell of it or give it to my boss as a joke since she's something of a fan of the series like I am.

NEON GENESIS EVANGELIONE REI AYANAMI MAID SPECIAL EDITION ANI STATUE (japan import)
Offered by Regalo, JP.
Price: $220.64
72 used & new from $204.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Rei Ayanami figure that ALL Rei fans should get!, January 20, 2012
I have to say that I really do love this figure. Its wonderfully crafted and just beautiful. After reading this review over at Polyvinylcrush [...], and seeing the photos that the person took of the figure, I went from being on the fence to being completely convinced to buy this. Rei Ayanami is my most favorite anime character for a variety of reasons, but I always wanted to get a figure of her. I was at first concerned about getting a non-canonical outfit variant of Rei, but the sculpture work on her, with how she holds herself and her subtle expression, truly sells the figure. This figure, more than most other figures, plays true to her character and temperament, and I really appreciate that as a fan.

Although I suppose my first "import" figure was a disappointing Evangelion 2.0 Rei figma (the premium of preordering and the delivery cost outweighed its value in hindsight), this special edition Maid Rei Ayanami figure was my first "sculpture-style" figure, and I do not regret it, especially considering how much it goes for here on Amazon and on other domestic US seller sites than it would in other avenues (e.g. Kotobukiya's official US website).

My only warning, however, is for buyers to avoid rubbing her bottom when placing her on the chair that comes with her as her prop: if mishandled, the brown paint will rub off onto her, which can be unpleasant. I recommend either careful handling, or simply leave the bottom plastic protective wrap on the chair as I personally have.

I can't recommend this figure enough for Rei Ayanami fans out there :)

UPDATE:
Holy crap why is this figure $400 now? I would like to clarify that I bought it for no more than $37 on Big Bad Toy Store. Also, one typo I originally had saying "sellers" should be careful, when I meant buyers.

Redline [Blu-ray]
Redline [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Takeshi Koike
Price: $9.49
24 used & new from $4.25

5.0 out of 5 stars You haven't seen animation until you've seen this movie., January 17, 2012
This review is from: Redline [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I watched this when they were showing it as a part of a limited theater release, and I've been aching for it's blu-ray release since! There are few words that can describe how awesome this movie is. The animation is beyond top-notch, with an art style that pops with every frame and keeps your eyes watering from not blinking.

The best way I can describe this film is that its like taking the visual flourish and high-adrenaline action of the live action Speed Racer film, smashing it against the entirety of what made Gurren Lagann one of the most beloved Japanese anime series of the past decade, mixing the two together and cranking all of that up to 11, and then condensing it into an hour and a half experience of visual and aural orgasmica with all of the goodness, none of the filler.

Plus, there's a cute love story in it for those so inclined.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2012 11:20 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2