Profile for pontmarie > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 199

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

pontmarie RSS Feed (SF Bay Area)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
AllyDrew Marrakech Trellis, Chevron & Circling Masking Tape Washi Tape, set of 3
Offered by Allydrew®
Price: $9.99
3 used & new from $6.50

1.0 out of 5 stars colors are NOT at all accurate, July 22, 2013
I am throwing a party for my youngest and the colors are blue and yellow. I thought this set would be perfect for adding some touches of color. NOPE. The fuchsia is more like a coral red, the blue is more like an aqua, and the yellow is orange. I can't use this at all.

Saving Saffron Sweeting
Saving Saffron Sweeting
by Pauline Wiles
Price: $10.59
31 used & new from $4.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming debut novel, May 8, 2013
I found Saving Saffron Sweeting to be a very engaging debut novel, with charming supporting characters (well, except one) and a well-crafted lead in the form of Grace Palmer. Her world has just come undone and it is a satisfying journey to see her go from being an isolated, emotional wreck to the self-assured and confident woman she is by the end of the book. The transformation doesn't happen overnight; no magic wand or fairy godmother, instead we cheer Grace on with each small triumph and see her become her own best advocate.

The charm of the village and its inhabitants is plentiful, Ms. Wiles's writing is polished and doesn't get in its own way, and I am glad that she is planning further adventures for the people of Saffron Sweeting. If you are looking for a book to read this spring, I highly recommend Saving Saffron Sweeting.

Chloe's Kitchen: 125 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Making the Food You Love the Vegan Way
by Chloe Coscarelli
Price: $13.64
60 used & new from $9.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, easy, tempting vegan dishes, March 6, 2012
I've tried a couple of vegan cookbooks before and was put off by the long list of ingredients, new to me, that I would need to purchase in order to make a dish. I first learned of Chloe Coscarelli by, yep, watching Cupcake Wars, and loved her enthusiasm and (seemingly) easy recipes. Now that her cookbook is out, I am delighted to find out that the recipes really ARE easy, no long list of ingredients to hunt down all over town, and the process is similar to meals I cook myself, only without the animal products/by-products.

If you are looking for a vegan cookbook to get you started on your journey, or would like to add some vegan dishes to your omnivore repertoire - this is the book for you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2012 9:32 PM PST

Enemies and Playmates
Enemies and Playmates
by Darcia Helle
Price: $11.03
27 used & new from $1.23

1.0 out of 5 stars Amateurish effort, December 28, 2011
This review is from: Enemies and Playmates (Paperback)
I finished this book despite realizing within the first few pages, that it was a first draft, at best, in serious need of an editor, and most of all, another writer.

The simplistic language, cardboard characters, and frankly, idiotic storytelling left a lot to be desired.

I am glad this book was free on my kindle because I'd hate to spend money on someone's vanity project.

2012 Paris Eiffel Tower Weekly Planner
2012 Paris Eiffel Tower Weekly Planner

5.0 out of 5 stars great basic calendar/planner, December 24, 2011
I don't need any bells and whistles, just a good, serviceable product and this fits the bill. Compact enough for my purse but large enough to write on.

Palace Circle: A Novel
Palace Circle: A Novel
by Rebecca Dean
Price: $12.43
140 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars What a bore!, February 1, 2011
This review is from: Palace Circle: A Novel (Paperback)
This book is such a pain to read, the characters are not interesting at all, especially Delia, whom you think is the main character. She is such a twit, and so dull. The author specializes in "telling, not showing" which is the opposite of good writing. Major events happen offstage, endless pages devoted to trivial crap, honestly, this book needed an editor. One who could have said NO to the whole thing!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2011 7:02 PM PST

Silent Auction (Josie Prescott Antiques Mysteries)
Silent Auction (Josie Prescott Antiques Mysteries)
by Jane K. Cleland
72 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars do NOT waste your time on this crap, September 5, 2010
what a piece of crap. the "heroine" is irritating with her incessant yapping, the characters are all caricatures, and the author has yet to learn to Show, not Tell, because everything and everyone is described in excruciating detail.

i figured out who the killer was right away, and it's obvious from the narrator's description since it's so biased. characters here don't talk, they declare in lecture type diatribes. not reading another one of these!

Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating from America's Farmers' Markets
Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating from America's Farmers' Markets
by Deborah Madison
Price: $18.02
97 used & new from $0.22

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent niche book by Deborah Madison, June 21, 2010
The impeccable Deborah Madison turns out a book that makes the best of your local farmers market - you will find her recipes to be spot on, as are the wine recommendations.

However, the recipe instructions can be a bit "Posh Nosh" at times - and some of them assume that you are not a novice. If you ARE a novice, get thee a copy of her Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone and start there or you might find yourself lost in some of the more advanced recipes.

I enjoyed the book because I do trek out to my nearby farmers markets every week and it gives me inspiration so I don't make the same old same old every time.

Sandman Slim: A Novel
Sandman Slim: A Novel
by Richard Kadrey
29 used & new from $0.83

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous, grips you and hooks you from the get-go!, December 20, 2009
This review is from: Sandman Slim: A Novel (Hardcover)
My husband got this and after reading told me to give it a try, that I'd like it.

He was right - Sandman Slim totally hooked me in and didn't let go until the end. I loved the characters, the world that Richard Kadrey creates, and the ease with which Jimmy's (ha) voice becomes so fully realized.

Christmas Style
Christmas Style
by Debi Staron
25 used & new from $0.77

1.0 out of 5 stars Dynasty-style Christmas for everyone!, November 6, 2009
This review is from: Christmas Style (Hardcover)
Oh my goodness, what a dinosaur of a book. I kept checking the publication date because I just can't believe that this outdated, gaudy, overdone, and tacky book was truly published in 2004. It looks like something from 1984, when shoulderpads were wider than doors and glitz and glitter were in high demand.

There is nothing remotely good about this book other than the fun it is to mock every page. If you're having a Dynasty-themed Christmas Day potluck, then this is the book for you, because the decorations would totally go as backdrops of those good old catfights on TV.

If you think style is sold on QVC and the Home Shopping Network and the highlight of your life is calling in one of those shows so they put your call on TV, this is the book for you.

What a piece of crap!