Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for Mr_Buick > Reviews

Browse

Mr_Buick's Profile

Customer Reviews: 45

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mr_Buick "World's biggest Jay Leno fan" RSS Feed (Meriden, CT United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Face Down
Face Down
Price: $11.92
64 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Serial Joe at Their Most Raw, July 17, 2010
This review is from: Face Down (Audio CD)
I first heard this band while on vacation in New Brunswick maybe 9 or 10 years ago. Even though I only heard one song (Mistake), I was hooked. I finally got around to picking up their entire catalog, including "Face Down"- this is the band at their most raw. There's some amazing music on this album, made even more remarkable by the fact that the band playing it were barely freshmen in high school. There's a three song stretch on this CD of truly jaw-dropping, heavy music- starting with the quick-fire riffing on "Centipede", the tight guitar/bass/drum interplay of "Confused", and the funky "Outrage", which sounds really close to "Mothers' Milk"-era Chili Peppers. Other standouts include the angry "Should Have Been Mine" and the RATM-alike "Deep". It's a shame this band broke up before reaching their full potential, because had they stuck it out I believe they'd be putting out some amazing music nowadays.

Mr. Policeman
Mr. Policeman
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If they ever made a Country Guitar Hero..., September 17, 2008
This review is from: Mr. Policeman (MP3 Music)
Admittedly, I found my copy of "5th Gear" in the console of a car I rented for the past week, which is cool because I planned on buying it anyway. But this is my favorite track on the whole disc. The lyrics are a hoot; I doubt anyone but Brad Paisley could get away with doing a song like this. The guitar work is amazing, though. I don't know how he does it. This needs to be on some sort of Guitar Hero game.

Crush
Crush
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep in Mind I Don't Even Follow American Idol, September 7, 2008
This review is from: Crush (MP3 Music)
I heard "Crush" for the first time on the radio tonight, and what caught me immediately was the progression played by the piano at the beginning. This progression carries the song through the first and second verses; it's simple but one of my favorites. At first, I thought it was Chris Brown- until the first verse started. David's voice is even better because he doesn't have to resort to vocal acrobatics or vocoder effects to sound good; he uses the bare minimum and it works very well. After researching the song, I found out one of its writers (Kirakou) was responsible for some of my other favorite pop songs (i.e. "What's Left Of Me"); and in fact I haven't heard a song from him I didn't like. I have a feeling "Crush" will be on my constant rotation list for quite a while.

After Tonight
After Tonight

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm getting the whole CD ASAP, July 9, 2008
This review is from: After Tonight (MP3 Music)
All I can say is I wish I could sing half as well as Justin. This kid knows he's good... there's no fancy production tricks masking or altering his voice coming through loud and clear. And his voice truly is the star here; the only accompaniment he has is a couple of lightly played acoustic guitars, a couple of backup vocalists and some sparse percussion. I can't help but picture sitting around a beachside campfire while listening to this.

Lovely Day
Lovely Day

4.0 out of 5 stars "Lovely Day" is a lovely song!, June 8, 2008
This review is from: Lovely Day (MP3 Music)
This is perhaps one of the best chill songs ever. Bill Withers' voice is great here- steady, almost no vibrato at all; and none is neccessary. I don't know how he holds that note near the end at the last group of choruses! While listening, I can't help but thinking of a sunrise and the promise of the coming day. Yeah, I know that sounds corny but I can't describe it any other way.

It's Raining Men
It's Raining Men
Price: $1.29

1.0 out of 5 stars Has anyone ever thought about the consequences of this actually happening?, May 23, 2008
This review is from: It's Raining Men (MP3 Music)
-as in, one day people woke up to find dudes just falling out of the sky? Think about it- rooftops and cars caved in, people being crushed by falling dudes, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Hospitals would be overflowing with severely injured and dying rain dudes. Broken bones, severely damaged organs, you name it... Morgues would be past full capacity because they couldn't get rid of the bodies until they've been identified. Think of the mess all over- just a horrible smattering of bones, blood and tissue. The survivors would most likely have to go through extensive rehabilitation, which is very costly- and then they'd have to be educated because unless there's schools in the clouds these guys are falling from they'd have no idea how to speak, eat or not soil themselves. And what if this isn't the first time we see manstorms? It would be totally senseless to rebuild after the extensive damage from the initial storm unless we figured out some way to make buildings resistant to the constant pressure of 150 to 300 pound people repeatedly falling and accumulating on them. Humanity would have to burrow deep underground and let those who fall from the sky build their own society above!! At least they wouldn't have to worry about reproducing because more dudes would just fall from the sky! Maybe the Weather Channel should look into producing an episode of "It Could Happen Tomorrow" on the matter.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2015 1:18 PM PST

The Groove Tube
The Groove Tube
DVD ~ Chevy Chase
Price: $14.99
23 used & new from $6.49

4.0 out of 5 stars "Kentucky Fried Movie" is still my all-time favorite, but..., May 13, 2008
This review is from: The Groove Tube (DVD)
... "Groove Tube" certainly gives it a run for its money. The sketches here are perverse, gratuitous and completely over-the-top. The only reason it rates a couple clicks lower is because I thought the "Dealers" segment was a little too drawn out. Everything else was great- especially Koko The Clown, the cooking segment and the news program. The fact that Curtis Mayfield's "Move On Up" opens and closes the film scores bonus points with me.

Shadow Of The Day
Shadow Of The Day
Price: $1.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy if you own "Joshua Tree" or "U218", January 13, 2008
This review is from: Shadow Of The Day (MP3 Music)
...because you have almost the exact same song in "With Or Without You". All Linkin Park did is change the words and move a couple of chords around, making it just different enough to avoid plaigarism lawsuits. Even the lead guitar part is an almost pitch-perfect ape of the Edge's. 2 stars, only because they picked an excellent song to rip off.

Your Woman
Your Woman
57 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The '90s version of "M", December 19, 2007
This review is from: Your Woman (Audio CD)
Hmmm... let's see... we have a complete flash-in-the-pan song recorded entirely on synthesizers and drum machines (except for some guitar smattered here and there), by an enigmatic one-man band from England that was never heard from again. I'm sorry, but when I hear this song I can't help but think of "Pop Muzik" by M aka Robin Scott. That's not to say I don't love this tune. There's so much going on in it- you've got a killer beat and bassline, combined with a haunting, deadpan delivery of lyrics dealing with one's girlfriend leaving for another woman; add on top of this some very creative sampling (really, it's genius to go back and loop a 1920s trumpet riff that sounds eerily like one of John Williams' more famous creations) and you have 4 minutes and 20 seconds of pop perfection. It's hard to believe this song came out almost 11 years ago but it doesn't sound dated at all. All in all, a nice nostalgic listen.

Transformer Generation 1 Re-issue Exclusive Soundwave Decepticon .
Transformer Generation 1 Re-issue Exclusive Soundwave Decepticon .
5 used & new from $118.95

5.0 out of 5 stars It's about time!, March 8, 2007
Cougar said it best- you cannot put a price on the memories returned on the purchase of this figure. Some have complained about the bigger cassette door but I can certainly live with it. One of my favorite things about this figure is that the weapons in robot mode store as batteries for the tape player in the alternate mode. To me though, the best part is that this Soundwave reissue comes packaged with Ravage and Laserbeak- two of the highly sought-after microcassettes. And because of his enlarged door, both can fit in at once! As with my past G1 Transformer reviews, I would not reccommend this figure to anyone under the age of 14 or 15 due to fragility issues- but any child of the 80s like myself will be thrilled with this Soundwave reissue.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5