Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more
Profile for Shaun W. Taylor > Reviews

Browse

Shaun W. Taylor's Profile

Customer Reviews: 47

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shaun W. Taylor RSS Feed (Raleigh, NC United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Motorola Moto 360 (2nd Gen.) - Mens 42mm, Black with Black Leather
Motorola Moto 360 (2nd Gen.) - Mens 42mm, Black with Black Leather
Price: $285.07
23 used & new from $221.48

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of promise and style, but terrible connectivity, January 29, 2016
The watch is a treat to use when it works properly, but unfortunately, it acts up more often than not. I had problems right out of the box, requiring two factory resets just to get the thing up and running with my Nexus 6P. The battery performance during the first day was abysmal, netting about 2-3 hours per charge. But it mysteriously corrected itself after the second factory reset.

Since then, I've been impressed with the battery. I can usually get a day and a half off of a full charge. Android Wear itself is great, with lots of apps and watch faces to keep your watch fresh.

But connectivity is atrocious. Calling it unreliable is an understatement. I spend more time rebooting and reconnecting this watch to my phone than I do actually using it. I'm rebooting even now as I type this. I've stopped trying, and now I most often use it as a normal watch with changeable faces. Wrist gestures are also a bit finicky. I usually have to tap the screen to get it to wake.

The Divergent Series: Insurgent
The Divergent Series: Insurgent
DVD

2.0 out of 5 stars I ran out of my allotment of "are you kidding mes" while watching this, August 16, 2015
In some parallel universe, I'm sure this movie might be enjoyable. Maybe we'll learn of it someday.

SNES Retro USB Super Nintendo Controller
SNES Retro USB Super Nintendo Controller
Offered by Hitgaming Video Games
Price: $8.20
28 used & new from $0.48

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware: what you see is not what you get, March 15, 2015
I purchased two of these, and they both have flaws. Like others have noted, the ones I received felt cheap and hollow. The D-pad on one is dead on right presses, and two of the buttons on the second controller only register presses intermittently.

NightFire Police Lights / Flashing LEDs Hobby Kit
NightFire Police Lights / Flashing LEDs Hobby Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars Great kit, but missing parts and instructions, March 15, 2015
Fun kit -- easy to assemble for this father/son team. Bright LED's, and a really strong flashing effect. Our kit was unfortunately missing both instructions and a socket; otherwise a great product.

Tweezerman His Stainless Nail Clipper Set
Tweezerman His Stainless Nail Clipper Set

2.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent quality -- it's a roll of the dice with these ones, December 8, 2014
Very inconsistent quality on these clippers. I've owned two sets: the first ones were great; second set, not so much. After about three months of use, they've dulled to the point of becoming unusable. And the darn things just don't want to stay together. The lever pops off nearly every other use. I've owned several Tweezerman products, but these clippers just aren't up to par.

Kinivo 501BN Premium 5 port High speed HDMI switch with IR wireless remote and AC Power adapter - supports 3D, 1080p
Offered by BlueRigger
Price: $59.99
4 used & new from $38.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad HDMI Ports; Connection Inconsisent, February 26, 2014
My main issues:

1) Two of the five HDMI ports were non-functional. No picture at all passed through one; on another one, the picture cut in and out every one to two seconds.
2) On the functional ports, the picture and sound would periodically cut out for a second every few minutes.
3) Any time there was a change in input, e.g. when using a PS3 and switching from Netflix to Hulu, the video would cut out entirely. To resolved, the unit had to be powered down and back up, or the cable had to be disconnected and reconnected.

I rated this one star because not only did it not work as advertised, but also it was not even minimally functional for its intended purpose.

Due to the large amount of positive reviews, I'm going to assume I got a lemon. I'm ordering another unit, and will update this review with the results.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2014 1:49 AM PST

Martin Ashley Art-Hobby Table with Stool, White Top, 23-1/2-Inch by 35-1/2-Inch Size Surface
Price: $102.49
17 used & new from $82.44

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor construction and quality control, February 26, 2014
I've never seen anything so poorly constructed. A few issues I had:

* The braces were dented and dimpled in several places -- presumably prior to packaging, as the box arrived in great shape.
* One of the the "downtubes" that inserts into the leg was misshapen. I had to crimp and reshape it just to get the pieces to fit together. While the table is now together, it's height cannot be adjusted.
* One cross-brace weld was not perpendicular, resulting in legs that bowed out, contributing to the inability to adjust table height mentioned above.
* Some pieces were a full bubble off level.
* Drawers arrived shattered.

That said, the table is together, and it is functional. If you're looking for an inexpensive work surface for a child, this might fit the bill, but adjust your expectations accordingly. You get what you pay for.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2014 12:35 PM PDT

GRK R4 HandyPak Multipurpose Screws, 9 by 2-Inch, 100-Count
GRK R4 HandyPak Multipurpose Screws, 9 by 2-Inch, 100-Count
Price: $15.77
7 used & new from $8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't ever want to use anything else, February 26, 2014
These sunk into joists/studs with minimal effort and no pilot holes, easy to back out when needed, and there was not even a hint of slipping after 100 screws. I'm ordering more in varying sizes to have handy for when I need them. For household projects, I don't ever want to use anything else.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars It Really Comes Down to Just One Thing:, December 23, 2008
And that's whether or not you like the convenience of in store returns. BB has made it very easy for in store renters to try out the occasional online rental. Netflix edges them out in most online rental areas (except the throttling of new releases), but can't compete with the physical locations of BB. I've used both and am a current Netflix user, but finding myself at Redbox a couple times per month when I really want to see a movie.

Found another good overview here:

[...]

I'd love to see an alliance between Netflix and Redbox. I've used both BB and Netflix and am a current Netflix user. But BB has recognized their strength and their newest plans cater to folks who are primarily instore renters, and might dabble online. I love Netflix, but often find myself at Redbox for rentals. Netflix with any kind of physical presence could be the nail in the coffin.

Google Maps Hacks
Google Maps Hacks
by Rich Gibson
Price: $23.67
79 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Valuable content from all perspectives, September 8, 2006
This review is from: Google Maps Hacks (Paperback)
I've read both this and the ExtremeTech "Hacking Google Maps," and both have their place, but I found this one to be much more valuable.

It doesn't contain any introductory information to the API, which some may be looking for, but it's not something that I would expect to see in a Hacks book anyway. With the v2 release of the API in April 2006, Google's own documentation has gotten a lot better, and it's the best place to go for a tutorial.

The book contains a great collection of hacks from all perspectives: users looking to get the most out of Google Maps, power users looking to push the functionality in new ways, and developers using the API. There's also a good overview of some popular mashups from the mashups' developers perspectives, and extensions to the API (e.g. TLabel, TPhoto).

Because there are so many contributors, you'll notice a change in tone and writing style throughout the book; and different coding practices are easy to spot, e.g. one code sample might use a standard, documented JS call, while another uses a homegrown function to accomplish the same thing. Another drawback is that the book is written to v1 of the API, which was replaced months ago, although is backwards compatible. This doesn't affect readability or value, but several of the undocumented features in the book are in fact documented in v2!

Great book, filled with useful information.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5