Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Phredd > Reviews

Browse

Phredd's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Phredd RSS Feed (Mount Joy, PA)

Get Plucky With The Ukulele: A Quick And Easy Guide To All Things Uke
Get Plucky With The Ukulele: A Quick And Easy Guide To All Things Uke
by Will Grove-White
Price: $16.22
70 used & new from $9.29

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will inspire your love of all things ukulele!, November 12, 2014
Ukulele Friends...Will Grove-White's new book - GET PLUCKY WITH THE UKULELE is amazing. It arrived in my mailbox on Saturday and by Monday I had finished the first full read-through. I'm sure I will read it again and again. I highly recommend it. Will's love for the uke and great sense of humor permeates the entire book as he touches on his Ukulele Heroes, Ukulele History and his approach to playing. Great story about how he lost Ian Whitcomb's Vintage Martin, too. Very cool and colorful artsy pictures and lots of "how-to's" as well. There is even a chord chart pull out. You will not be disappointed.

Will is a member of The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain and has been making his living as a fulltime ukulele player for over 25 years. How many people can say that? His enthusiasm for all things ukulele is as fresh as the first strum on a new uke. If I was writing a book about Ukuleles, He would certainly be listed as one of my Top Ukulele Heroes. I dont even have to write a book to tell you that I think Will's playing and writing is worthy of Hero Status. Will is certainly one of the good guys!

I have a lot of ukulele books...This one is my new favorite!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Aquila 100U Soprano Ukulele Strings Set
Aquila 100U Soprano Ukulele Strings Set
Price: $7.97
47 used & new from $6.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Strings get even Better, February 3, 2014
I have tried almost all of the top ukulele strings. I lean towards Aquilas on most of my ukes. These Super Nylguts are my new favorites. They stay in tune much quicker...almost immediately. They have a great feel to the fingers. They produce a little more sound and aren't quite as "bright" as the "old" Nylguts. I am very pleased with them. I was already an Aquila Nylgut user but these Super Nylguts have improved in those 3 key areas - stay in tune quicker, not as bright but still loud, feel great to the touch. I've ordered more for my other ukes.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2015 1:36 PM PDT

The School House Rock Songbook
The School House Rock Songbook
by Hal Leonard Corp.
Price: $13.61
53 used & new from $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Speedy Shipping and Great job!, July 6, 2013
I ordered this book because I grew up loving the songs and still love them. Now I can play them on my ukulele. WooHoo!!!

Ukulele For Dummies
Ukulele For Dummies
by Alistair Wood
39 used & new from $4.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Overall Ukulele Bang for the Buck Book Ever!, September 18, 2011
This review is from: Ukulele For Dummies (Paperback)
This is the best book for learning the ukulele that I have ever owned. It is perfect for beginners, intermediate, or advanced players. It has everything; chords, strumming, tab, notes, songs, styles and above all else humor. It is written by someone who through self-instruction, hard work and curiosity has become a master guru of the instrument. At the same time the author is plain-spoken, to-the-point, funny and keenly adept at reaching the heart of a self-learner.

I got bit by the ukulele bug when I purchased a Martin Backpacker on ebay for $60. That was over 10 years and 20 or so ukuleles ago. During my quest for ukulele perfection I have enjoyed many ukulele instructionals. "Ukulele for Dummies" is more useful than all of them put together. It can be used in a linear fashion, going from one chapter to the next. Or you can hunt and peck to learn; brushing up on the subjects you are interested in improving or focusing on. I'm not turned off by the "dummies" label. In fact, I like a book that explains things clearly as if I'm starting from scratch. Musicians often act like they know more than they know, and "Ukulele for Dummies" wades through the music-speak and makes things clear and to the point. That is not to say that it is dumbed-down or condescending. It is not! The reader is treated with great respect and there is not a hint of patronization. You will not feel as though your intelligence is being insulted in any way. In fact, the inside jokes will make you feel smarter and "in the know".

This book gives background beyond the ukulele experience, explaining different styles, giving a little history and then giving song examples of that style and how to play it. To quote Ukulele Enthusiast and Ukulelia.com blogger Craig Robertson - "Ukulele for Dummies" is a "marvelous compendium of ukulele knowledge that takes you from novice to expert."

If you are a beginner on the uke, or looking to learn, I highly recommend this book. It is a great place to begin and learn. If you are someone who has been playing for awhile, I highly recommend this book. You will find pockets of instruction to help you improve. If you are an advanced player, I recommend this book. I believe you too, will find nuggets of musical and ukulele facts and ideas to add to your repertoire. If you are an expert Ukuleleist you will enjoy this book for the background and humor. Or you can highlight your name and show it to friends, since you are most likely mentioned somewhere in the book.

I have been following ukulelehunt.com since it's inception and I love it. It has been a great home for learning all things ukulele. Because of this, I had high expectations for this book and they met and exceeded my expectations in every aspect. I find the writing to be friendly, direct and very entertaining. Playing the ukulele should not be stuffy business, and Alistair Wood does a fine job of infusing wry humor into the learning to help keep things in perspective. Buy this book for yourself or for someone in your life who wants to join the pursuit of ukulele enjoyment.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2015 12:57 PM PST

Kala Soprano Ukulele Foam Case
Kala Soprano Ukulele Foam Case
Offered by River Colony Trading
Price: $41.99
7 used & new from $41.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Kala Case, May 12, 2011
I purchased this case for my 50th Birthday present - A Vintage 1935-1942 Martin Soprano Ukulele. It's a great case. Well made. Light. Perfect. I have several ukes and many cases. I highly recommend this one to keep your uke safe without breaking the bank!

Flip Video Camcorder: 60-Minutes (White) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Flip Video Camcorder: 60-Minutes (White) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars great little portable camera, August 16, 2007
This camera is easy to use and looks great. Interfaces well with the computer too.