Profile for David J8 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David J8 RSS Feed

Nero 11 Platinum [Old Version]
Nero 11 Platinum [Old Version]
Offered by Tomorrow's Store
Price: $56.99
6 used & new from $46.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Nero 11 does what it should, except...., November 19, 2012
OK, for me all works as I was expecting it to, with no problems or bugs. The reason I gave a 4 star instead of 5 was, because of Nero recode. Don't get me wrong it is still a great tool, but I much prefer manually being able to adjust the aspect ratio, with a preview shot of a scene of how it will look with the amount of cropping adjusted to.

Then there is the Nero Kwik Media player, it is more than sufficient...but the direction it is going,I do not like it. Nero Kwik Media player, looks like it is turning into a advertising "spring board", with a way to try and "milk" more money out of people-BIG turn off. If Nero continues in this direction, I will without hesitation drop this product and not look back. For me, I cannot justify paying even over 45 bones for this product. Definitely not worth the 100 to 130 bones, it starts out with.There are just too many other tools out there, that are equally as good, but FREE. I love competitive pricing or free options too. I hope this helps someone. Cheers. :)

IMATION 2094 50PK DVD+R 16X CAKE BOX SUPL LIGHTSCRIBE HP BRANDED
IMATION 2094 50PK DVD+R 16X CAKE BOX SUPL LIGHTSCRIBE HP BRANDED
Offered by Power NetShop
Price: $18.10
11 used & new from $15.90

5.0 out of 5 stars As advertised...good quality., November 17, 2012
Shipped and delivered real prompt. Packaged well, too. No coasters. Lightscribe burns excellent images. Imation...for me has always been a solid brand, through the years. Verbatim is another good quality blank disc brand, too. Unless, Verbatim is cheaper price wise, I would definitely recommend this brand of discs instead. No problems, here. Cheers. :)

Gateway NV55S13u 15.6-Inch Laptop (Ebony Black)
Gateway NV55S13u 15.6-Inch Laptop (Ebony Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality laptop...solid all the way., November 17, 2012
I got this about ten months ago. It works get, real snappy and boots up real quick. It comes preloaded with Win 7...was considering upgrading to Win 8, but (I am impressed with Win 8, works great on my other lappy and desktop.)it is soooo solid and quick, I'll just leave the original OS on it, for sometime. The keyboard layout for me is perfect, kudos to Gateway. The style is really classy.The processor flys. Plays graphic intensive games, real smooth, no lag. Quiet and cool to touch. I really cannot think of anything negative, to say about this. *Just my personal preference, I watch DVD movies (Old School, I know.)on it...but it does come with a BluRay player (Others should enjoy this. ;)), if thats your thing, meh for me.

Summary: If it ever comes back in stock and price dropped at least 100 bones...get it. It is a joy to use. Peace.

HP Lightscribe CD-R 52X 700MB 50-PK
HP Lightscribe CD-R 52X 700MB 50-PK
Offered by Power NetShop
Price: $15.82
11 used & new from $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Like it says on the tin., November 17, 2012
No problem with burning. Lightscribe works beautifully. Got it for a good price. Delivered fast...for coming through regular USPS. Cannot go wrong with this purchase. I eventually plan to buy more...as long as the price stays or goes lower. :)

Lenovo IdeaPad Z585 261729U 15.6-Inch Laptop (2.3 GHz AMD A10-4600M Processor, 6GB DIMM, 750GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium) Grey Metal

5.0 out of 5 stars Near "perfect" laptop, October 31, 2012
I ordered on Thursday, shipped on Friday and delivered on the Monday (Fast free shipping). It was packaged really well and secure. I have currently had it for a little over 2 weeks.

I have only 2 negative items on this laptop, that keeps me from calling it perfect (4 1/2 stars not 5 intended):

1.) The manual useful and in only 1 local language (this is the good part). The bad, not enough details in the manual or literature, the worst was the lack of description about the optical drive, i.e. what type of disc formats are acceptable? (Yep, I still use my optical drive on a daily basis.)

2.) Bloatware- Chrome pre-installed!? (IBM/Lenovo, must be getting funds from google, ok, if it keeps down cost of product, supposedly?) Why not just use a desktop icon to install/not install option? I like other Chrom-ium based browsers, minus the spyware. If IBM/Lenovo & google want a pre-installed program, why not Picasa (much better) or something else instead? OK, enough of the rant of the negative (not too bad overall). ;)

Onto the positive (much more and better):

1.)AMD A_Series_Quad_Core_A10_4600M Processor 2.3GHz turbo boosts up to 3.2GHz (I WAS a long time user of PCs' with Intel processors, but since my first AMD processor (Desktop) mid-2010, I have never looked back. Comparing apples to apples, the AMDs' load the OSs' much quicker and overall much-much snappier opening/running proggies, hands down!

2.)6 GB DIMM RAM DDR3=more than enough!

3.)750GB 5400rpm HDD (The biggest I had seen for a laptop...until the updated version of this laptop 1TB HDD(10-12-12 amazon w/Win 8, but 200 bones more?)

4.)15.6-Inch Backlit LED HD display=beautiful!

5.)AMD Radeon HD 7660G graphics=awesome

6.)720p HD webcam+bluetooth+2xUSB 3.0

7.)Dolby Home Theatre v4=exceptional sound for a laptop.

8.)A Lenovo program to boost start-up time+a program for making backup or snapshots(Discs/Images)of the OS.

9.)IBM/Lenovo is ranked very high on various Linux sites, for high compatibility to various Linux distros (in this regard, Dell,Acer/Gateway and HP are noted as well with good results. ;) **Update: As of 8-28-13, only the Ubuntu based distros have worked on this laptop, however the 64amd ISO files hang after initial boot screen, but the i386intel ISO files boot straight to the live environment. Odd since this is a 64 bit machine, hopefully Canonical/Ubuntu will fix this by the time of the next LTS. So, for now I am running Ubuntu 13.10 (testing version) i386 and it find my audio and wi-fi broadcom drivers and installs them proper.

10.) A nice full and roomy touch/track pad, very comfortable.

11.) Battery- 15 minutes to do a full charge, for 5 to 6 hours of usage=good stuff. ***Update: as of 8-28-13 the 15 minutes full charge, it only worked the first initial charge. I do believe the manufacturer must have done an initial pre-first charge before shippping. Anyway, subsequent charge take about 30 minutes, still not bad at all.

12.)Of all the various laptops, I have used/tried before, this Lenovo is really solid and sturdy. In fact the only other one I can think of that felt more solid/sturdy, was a Panasonic brand laptop, from a few years back, but it was built extra rugged, even for in a combat situation.

13.) The look of the lid/back of the screen, in a word "cool". It has a brushed metal, medium2dark lavender (The descript. says "Gray Metal".) look to it, unique and nice.

14.) The fan is very quiet and Lenovo added a program to run the fan in a "maintenance mode" to clean any dust out. Nice touch.

15.) Temperature- The keyboard area and the bottom, stay very cool to touch. The main vent area (left side), only when really pushing it really hard (intense graphic games and video editing+over a dozen other proggies running browser/flash, MS office, email, messaging,video chat, etc.), the vent area gets only slightly (I do mean slightly.) warmer than room temperature. Very nice!

16.) 15 bones refund Visa card (Win 8).

17.) Optical drive-burns at good to excellent speeds (I have only used DVD+R, thus far)

18.) Keyboard-perfect for composing letters, documents or whatever. Overall it is great (for me anyway).

Summary: For a 500 bones laptop, it is very impressive, solid built, a real "workhorse", fast, more than efficient and high quality. The best thing, I can say about this Lenovo product is, IBM/Lenovo now has 1 more built in future customer. Keep up the great work and high quality. Cheers and enjoy. :)
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2013 1:00 AM PDT