Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Profile for Evan Streb > Reviews

Browse

Evan Streb's Profile

Customer Reviews: 60

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Evan Streb RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
It Takes A Nation
It Takes A Nation
Price: $5.99
105 used & new from $0.31

1.0 out of 5 stars The most overrated album in history, February 1, 2001
This review is from: It Takes A Nation (Audio CD)
Boy am I gonna get some hate mail for this. I must say that these songs ARE good and fully developed (whatever that means) and all... it's just that Mssrs D, Flav, X, Griff, and the others have decided to attach this MONSTROUSLY annoying BLEEEEEEEEEEPPPP noise one beats three and four of EVERY SINGLE LINE THEY SING!! And it RUINS the ENTIRE album for me.
Oh yeah. And the Farrakhan lyrics. What's up with THAT?
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2013 12:30 PM PDT

The Stone Roses
The Stone Roses
Price: $8.69
122 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it really one of the best albums ever made??, February 1, 2001
This review is from: The Stone Roses (Audio CD)
YES! YES! THIS ALBUM RULES!!!!! Every song is classic. Excellent songcraft in the beginning, middle, AND end! And friggin' HAPPY for once!! In today's depressed music world of "I'm not here, this isn't happening" and "If I say 'F---', two more times that's twenty six 'F---s' in this f---ed up rhyme", you owe it to yourself to go out and buy something freakin' OPTIMISTIC and FEEL GOODY for once! The album REALLY improves your mood and makes you feel good! It adds happiness to an otherwise depressing day! The opener, "I Wanna Be Adored" starts out really creepy and then Mani plays one of the catchiest basslines ever, a few more bars of that, then a huge snare drum hit, and they're off! "I don't haaaaaaaaaaaveeeeeee ta sellllll myyyyy soulllllllllllllllllllllllll. He's alreadyyyyyyyyyy innnn meeeeeeeeeeeee." WHERE did the belief that Ian "King Monkey" Brown couldn't carry a tune in a bucket come from? He sounds FANTASTIC on this album! He's got such a low cool voice that doesn't really make him seem as arrogant as he's supposed to be!!! Then there's "She Bangs The Drums" with another catchy bassline, this one a much faster, more "poppy" one. Also one awesome John Squire guitar solo at the end. Probably the most anthemic song they ever did. Sure, call it "stupid", call it "derivative", call it whatever you want. I guarantee you'll be singing along merrily "How could it ever come to pass? She'll be the first she'll be the last." over and over after you've heard it a couple times for it to sink in your head. Okay after that, you've got "Elephant Stone" and "Waterfall", two more poppy songs, one real crashy and bangy, the other wah wahy and dreamy. Rules, as always. I used to really detest the next song "Don't Stop", which is just mostly "Waterfall" played backwards with new lyrics, but now I think the reason they did that was because it sounded just as good backwards as it did forwards, so they turned it into a new song. Uhhh.... okay! The next one, "Bye Bye Badman" takes the musical feel-good spirit even further, with a great John Squire shuffle guitar solo. Yet another great song. An album with this many great songs makes you really mad that the Roses never conquered America. ...They invented Britpop! Anyway, after "Elizabeth My Dear", you get "(Song For My) Sugar Spun Sister", which just might even more of an anthem than "She Bangs The Drums". Dig that "Yeah yeah yeah the candy [something] girrrrllllll, The sticky-fingered boy!!!!! Oh the sister of miiinnneeee Oh yeah yeah yeah!!" chorus at the end. Then there's "Made Of Stone. Boy, you'd never expect a song with as ridiculously dumb a chorus as "Sometimes I fantasize" would be so dang CATCHY and SINGALONGABLE, but it is! "Shoot You Down"'s got soft Reni drums and Hawaiian guitar. And there's "This Is The One", which is all Ian sings for the last minute and a half or so: "OOOOOH THIS IS THE OONNNNNNNNNEEEEEE SHE'S WAITING FORRRRRRRR". This review is really boring isn't it? Then the album closes with not one, but TWO of the absolute GREATEST dance songs I've EVER heard in my life (except "One Nation Under A Groove" of course, but never mind that for now). In fact, did I mention how awesome the bass is in this album. If you play bass you NEED this album. Hell, even if you DON'T play bass you need this album. But bassists should really love it. If Mani doesn't qualify for rock's greatest bassist ever, I don't know who does. Okay, so "Resurrection" starts off like that with the snare hits and the "Behind The Counter" bassline, but then about three minutes into it it slows down and Mani plays this "Doodoo doo doo duh doo da doo doooooooooo" riff and Reni plays a couple of hi hat fills then kicks in this awesome dance beat and awww man it's so rockin' you gotta hear it. The they're off!! It turns into NOTHING but a phat jam. I mean, NOBODY plays jams like this anymore. WHY NOT???? Then there's ANOTHER awesome dance song after this one and it's like ten minutes long, called "Fools Gold", with an even catchier bassline, groovier drums, and one hell of a trippyesque wah wah solo at the end. Okay so I've just described all the songs on the album. BUY IT NOW!!! It's rockin' dancy, happy, and oh so friggin' CATCHY!! And you know what? It was only their debut.

The Shaggs
The Shaggs
21 used & new from $0.49

5.0 out of 5 stars No! Not terrible. Honest and beautiful, December 11, 2000
This review is from: The Shaggs (Audio CD)
The thing that separates the Shaggs from any novice band is their honesty. They can write a lyric like "There will always be someone who thinks the opposite way." and you believe them!! That's called "charisma". And that's something even the Backstreet Boys don't have!

The Wedding Singer: Music From The Motion Picture by Various Artists (1998) - Soundtrack
Price: $14.41
268 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This one's for Lauren Cavender!!, December 11, 2000
Okay that's a VERY obscure reference there. if you understand it, then give yourself a nice handshake or something. if you don't, pay it no mind...
Okay then... Let it be known that the only reason I'm giving this CD five stars is because it has "Blue Monday" and "How Soon Is Now?" on it. And the Adam Sandler song is funny (I've never seen the movie, though...). HEY EVERYBODY! How come nobody's mentioned "Blue Monday"? That's probably the best dance song of all time!! When you listen to it you HAVE to dance! It's like a magic wand! When you Dance! DANCE!! That drum fill right before the "I see a ship in the harbor" line is AMAZING!! Dancey + hypnotic + awesome drums = JUST THE COOLEST!
"How Soon Is Now?" is good, but whenever I wore my Smiths shirt in school I always got called a dork. By EVERYBODY. Even some of the other dorks called me a dork. There were maybe three dorks in the whole school who were dorkier than I was when I wore my Smiths shirt. Even the girls I had crushes on called me a dork. I guess that's life sometimes.

Music
Music
Offered by Bridge Records Eire
Price: $7.53
575 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars the worst album of the year, December 10, 2000
This review is from: Music (Audio CD)
music is the only good song. everything else is so self-parodic it's unlistenable. those "techno effects" everybody's raving about have been done better 50,000 times before. the "i'm in a trance" part just makes me want to puke. this is not how to make good dance music. get something like "fools gold" or "born slippy: nuxx" or "one nation under a groove" instead. this is absolutely terrible. the worst album of the year.

Spin Alternative Record Guide
Spin Alternative Record Guide
by Eric Weisbard
55 used & new from $1.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Well..., December 8, 2000
Well I WAS going to give this book a really good chance, but after reading what they said about Weezer in the Kiss reviews I just threw the damn thing in the fireplace.

Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends
Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends
11 used & new from $19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm..., October 14, 2000
Let's see...
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer release this triple live album in 1974.
The Ramones, the world's first punk band, form in 1974.
Coincidence?
I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2012 10:01 AM PST

Pablo Honey
Pablo Honey
Price: $11.99
267 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The debut., October 14, 2000
This review is from: Pablo Honey (Audio CD)
Perhaps the best thing about this album is the realization that when you get right down to it, Radiohead started off as fakes. Phonies. Here was a band that didn't care at all for the Suede-esque Britpop ruling their nation at the time. Nope, Radiohead was digging "grunge" music at the time. Grunge music! Bush, Soundgarden, Candlebox, Nirvana, stuff like that. Grunge music! Can you think of ANY style of music out there that's considered less hip? "Stop Whispering" and "Anyone Can Play Guitar" are both catchy in a "Heart Shaped Box" sort of way. But of course that's not the reason you should buy this album.
Nope. This is the album with "Creep" on it. "Creep". (not the Stone Temple Pilots or TLC song) The song that the band themselves have gone on record as saying it's, like, the worst song they've ever done and of course I'm forced to disagree. When you listen to it again for the 5 millionth time, listen to the guitars. The way the guitars just seem to jump out of the speakers like that. That's really cool. They should do that more often.
STUPID STORY: Back in my middle school days, it was the first day of school and we didn't know anbody, and there was this kid sitting next to me who had this shirt on and the shirt said simply "Creep" on it. So all through the year whenever I saw this kid I'd just start singing "But I'm a CREEEEEEPP! I'm a weirdo! " and he'd get sooooo mad. Okay I'll shut up now.

One Nation Under a Groove
One Nation Under a Groove
43 used & new from $3.98

5.0 out of 5 stars GOD I LOVE THIS BAND!!!!!!, October 13, 2000
The title track is an absolute classic. Buy it JUST for that. Feet don't fail me now!

Fear Of A Black Planet
Fear Of A Black Planet
Price: $4.99
137 used & new from $0.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Whooooo! Shocking!, October 10, 2000
This review is from: Fear Of A Black Planet (Audio CD)
NOT AS GOOD AS PAUL'S BOUTIQUE!
Why don't they make albums like this anymore? This has GOT to be the most angry hate-filled militant album ever. Well, okay not "hate-filled". That was a stupid word. Ummm... How about "in your face"? Anyway, I admit that I know absolutely NOTHING about rap, but I gotta say that in the ten years since "Fear" there hasn't been anywhere NEAR an album as powerful as this.
See, Public Enemy were SUPPOSED to be the band that brought hip-hop to the white American mainstream, but then that stupid Dr Dre came around, turned it into a macho sexist killfest and RUINED THE WHOLE GENRE! Nowadays you'll NEVER hear a song with lyrics as biting as those on the title song or "Welcome To The Terrordome". At least I haven't. GREAT songs.
One song that is NOT great, however, is "Meet the G that killed me", that shows that P.E. may be noise geniuses, but they are also HOMOPHOBIC! That's not cool at all. Fight homophobia!
Oh by the way... Were Elvis & John Wayne racist? It's NOT simple and plain. If they WERE, how did Public Enemy know this? Those are the greatest lyrics on the whole album though, even if they aren't true. I don't know, I guess there's just something really refreshing to hear somebody scream about the evils of the world in the world in such a direct manner. It's like they're staring racist white America straight in the eye. If anybody out there has any information on it please let me know.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6