Profile for Percival Puddle > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Percival Puddle RSS Feed (Raleigh, NC USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
For Reading: Crime Fiction
For Reading: Crime Fiction
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Orchestral crime music, June 13, 2014
This playlist (1 hour and 7 minutes long) has some nice orchestral scores from the days of black and white movies along with newer tracks. You may recognize many of these songs from, for instance, "The Maltese Falcon", "The Postman Always Rings Twice", and "Chinatown". The composers are also very well known, including Henry Mancini, Ennio Morricone, and Jerry Goldsmith, among others.

I can imagine enjoying a good novel while listening to this music.

Finger Trackball Wireless USB2.0 HandHeld Mouse for MacBook Pro or other PCs + Bag

4.0 out of 5 stars Laser not working? Have you RESET the device?, December 6, 2013
As a few others have mentioned, I experienced the problem wherein the laser for the trackball stopped working after a couple of charges. For me, it failed after about two weeks, so I returned it. However, I've read that you can RESET the device as described in the comments in the "WARNING" review. So, if you experience this problem, try using the RESET button and let me know how it goes! I wish the information about the reset capability was more prominently displayed, as I probably would not have returned the device.

PROS:
- Has a very comfortable grip with convenient placement of mouse button and trackball. I used this device to give a Powerpoint presentation.
- Has a built-in rechargeable battery with status lights. The color of the LED changes as the battery loses power, so you'll know when to recharge it.
- Trackball moves smoothly and easily (but may have issues if it becomes dirty).
- Comes with a handy and attractive pouch, so that you won't lose the charging cable and USB receiver.

Obviously, I liked the device quite a bit. The Pros of this gadget bring it very near perfection, especially compared to similar devices.

CONS:
- The trackball laser tends to stop working, resulting in a completely non-functional mouse. The negative reviews largely involve this problem, though this issue may be resolved through use of the RESET button (I wish I knew about this fix before I returned it).
- The right click is on the circular portion around the trackball. This means that you can only click it with your thumb. I find this to be the single biggest design fault, since it means that you cannot play most videogames or use other highly interactive software with this device. The button on the trigger seems like it would be able to support both left and right clicking, but, sadly, only allows a left click.
- The trackball is locked in the center, so you cannot easily remove it for cleaning. My Logitech mouse has a removable trackball, so it's very easy to clean (Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball). I would much prefer that this device had a removable trackball, since I anticipate degradation in performance over long periods of ownership.
- The rechargeable battery is built-in, so the device would become useless once it goes beyond its limited charging cycles (long-term owners can weigh in on this one).

Despite the downsides of this device, I liked it very much. If a right click were added to the trigger section, I would buy the device again in a heartbeat. If the pointer finger could simultaneously press left and right click (using a carefully curved pair of buttons), then there would be no limits to use of this device.

So, given that I didn't know about fixing the laser outage by resetting the device, I give it four out of five stars. To the manufacturer: update the design and it could be perfect!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2014 12:15 PM PDT

HP Wireless Elite Keyboard
HP Wireless Elite Keyboard

4.0 out of 5 stars An epitaph for my favorite keyboard, November 10, 2011
Other reviewers have already pointed out the following:
1) The keyboard has fantastic range and quiet typing performance.
2) The construction is a bit flimsy.
3) The receiver flashes a bright blue LED as you type.

My HP Wireless Elite keyboard lasted about a year. I had lots of use from it, including stuffing it in with my laptop for use on the go.

In the end, my wireless receiver and keyboard stopped synching correctly. Instead of easily connecting after a few seconds, my receiver would stay lit and not recognize any keystrokes. There were no obvious causes of failure, so I chalk it up to either keyboard or receiver lack of durability. There's not much I could have done about the possible keyboard failure. But, I would recommend using an angled USB adapter with the receiver. With this style of USB, I find that just the acts of plugging in and removing it lead to eventual failure. I wish I knew whether the keyboard or receiver failed (there are no indicator lights on the keyboard).

The keyboard itself is a power hog. You will want to use Eneloop rechargeable batteries or similar low static discharge models. I performed data entry for a few hours and the keyboard consumed about two full charges under my demanding use. When I was using it as my everyday keyboard, it would consume a full charge about once a week. Note that if you're traveling with it, you may want to take out the batteries because the keys are easily pressed in transit. The keyboard will discharge the batteries very swiftly (maybe 15-30 minutes) when the keys are constantly pressed.

Despite the shortcomings, this was my absolute favorite keyboard. It's lightweight, has excellent response within a wide range, has a small enough form factor to be portable, is quiet enough to take notes during meetings, and can be typed on flat to prevent hand injury. I've been missing it since its untimely demise.

Korg GA-40 Large Display Guitar and Bass Tuner
Korg GA-40 Large Display Guitar and Bass Tuner
Price: $15.99
42 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Tunes well with acoustic & electric, May 24, 2010
I've used this to tune both my electric and acoustic guitars. You just plug in an electric guitar directly, while the acoustic sound is received through a microphone. The accuracy on the electric direct connection is fantastic--lets you know if it's even slightly off. With my acoustic, the accuracy seems to drop slightly (perhaps due to lesser accuracy of the microphone?). Or, maybe, my acoustic guitar tuning mechanism just stinks because it's cheap. Either way, it will get you tuned up.

The visual feedback is great--it'll light up green if you're in the right range, or red if you're off (flat or sharp). This sure beats tuning by ear.

Levy's Leathers 2" Cotton Guitar Strap, Black
Levy's Leathers 2" Cotton Guitar Strap, Black
Price: $21.95
15 used & new from $21.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits easily, excellent strap, May 24, 2010
It's an attractive strap that fits easily over my electric guitar pegs. I have a solid body electric, and this strap holds it with ease. I'm sure this strap will last for decades.

Planet Waves Classic Series Instrument Cable, 10 feet
Planet Waves Classic Series Instrument Cable, 10 feet
Price: $9.95
36 used & new from $5.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, flexible cable, May 24, 2010
This cable bends with ease and feels like it will never break. It doesn't have any stiffness to it, and it has substantial weight. Even though a cable came with my guitar and also with my amp, I am very glad that I bought this cable.

Amy & Brian Natural Coconut Juice with Lime, 12 - 17.5- Ounce Cans
Amy & Brian Natural Coconut Juice with Lime, 12 - 17.5- Ounce Cans
Price: $29.88
5 used & new from $29.88

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice twist on coconut juice! (be sure to shake), May 11, 2010
I've been extremely impressed with Amy & Brian's coconut juices. If you take a look at the ingredients, it's just young coconut juice and lime juice. How could it be any purer than that?

I thought this flavor tasted a little funny at first, but I think I didn't shake it. After shaking it before subsequent experiences, it had a very refreshing lime taste along with the coconut juice.

Amy & Brian coconut juices are fantastic energizers and a great pick-me-up during the day.

Milwaukee 49-17-2350 MK2350 Gray Anti-Fog Safety Glasses
Milwaukee 49-17-2350 MK2350 Gray Anti-Fog Safety Glasses

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sun protection! (and fits over thin glasses), May 11, 2010
I can wear these safety glasses over my thin, titanium frame prescription glasses. I just push the sides in all the way to make them shorter, and hook them over the sides of my prescription frames.

These are FANTASTIC sun protection for driving or simply enjoying a sunny day. No more squinting for me! I'm also extremely pleased that these block both UVA and UVB light--perfect for bright summer days in the South. The style looks plenty good on me, and the larger size of the safety glasses covers my prescription glasses entirely.

I bought these during a fantastic sale, so I bought pairs for friends and family--I'm glad I did!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for iPhone/Otterbox Defender after 2 minutes, May 3, 2010
As stated in an earlier review, this extension cable works perfectly with the iPhone (3GS) and Otterbox Defender case. Just a few notes on compatibility:

- It only takes a couple of minutes to file down the width of the cord to match the Otterbox Defender case. The plug actually has two little buttons on the side that you press in to retract the side prongs and remove it from the iPhone. You do not need to file the entire side of the plug--just the portion past the buttons (a very small segment of the plug). I filed up to about halfway up the side button on one side, but mostly avoided the button on the other side. Using a typical nail file on the soft plastic takes only two minutes to shave off the necessary width.

- The extension cable works perfectly for charging and audio. I use this with my FM transmitter adapter and lighter port mini USN charger, so that I can transmit my iPhone 3GS sound to my car speaker system. All three devices work together well, so that I have crystal clear audio (internet radio over 3G, podcasts, or iPod collection) and constant power as long as my car is in operation, all without taking my iPhone out of the Otterbox Defender case!

- Also tried using this extension cable with the iPhone 3GS charger and it worked perfectly, so this cable seems to work in every way desired.

Thanks for this reasonably priced and very functional product!

Defender Series Armband for Apple iPod Classic, and iPod Touch
Defender Series Armband for Apple iPod Classic, and iPod Touch

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit for Otterbox Defender iPhone case, April 25, 2010
This item is the KIT168 Otterbox Defender armband produced by Otterbox. It fits perfectly over my iPhone 3GS case (with minor effort to stretch the armband holder).

The armband itself is made of a very comfortable velcro material that deals well with sweat. It is a fairly short armband, but it fits around my arm of moderate size. If you have large biceps, you'll probably want to get a velcro extender (I've seen folks mention those on other reviews).

I can talk on my iPhone while it is in the armband, and I can be heard clearly even when I'm not facing toward the armband and I have my arm straight down at my side! [I place the iPhone upside down in the case] I feel very high-tech having such a powerful mobile device on my arm. [I also combine this product with over-the-ear headphones that do not fall off during rigorous activity.]

I believe Otterbox stopped manufacturing these armbands, so this is a good find. I've heard rumors that they would release more armbands later this year, so they may become more readily available during the summer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3