Profile for J. French > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. French RSS Feed (VA)

Page: 1 | 2
Designing with Progressive Enhancement: Building the Web that Works for Everyone
by Todd Parker
Price: $31.01
74 used & new from $8.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Game changer, July 26, 2012
Often, tech books are obsolete by the time they turn 2. Not this one. Parker, Toland, et al do a great job of advocating for semantic HTML, testing for browser abilities, and layering on richer UI functionality for browsers that can make use of the enhancements.
Filament Group's test suite, enhance.js, seems to have fallen by the wayside, perhaps in deference to the Modernizr test suite. That's ok--aside from chapter 6 (which explains enhance.js), you can swap Modernizr in for enhance and apply all the same progressive enhancement techniques.
Among other benefits, progressive enhancement goes beyond the letter of 508 law to satisfying the spirit of the rules.
Final verdict: this is a smart book, written by smart people, and a game-changer on the client-side.

Winfun Baby Driver Stroller/Car Seat Seat
Winfun Baby Driver Stroller/Car Seat Seat
Price: $19.99
6 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, May 14, 2012
I really just wanted to get my daughter a clip-on steering wheel so she could "drive" her stroller a-la Maggie Simpson. But this toy is even better than what I had in mind.

3 IN 1 BED WOODWORKING PAPER PLAN PW10057
3 IN 1 BED WOODWORKING PAPER PLAN PW10057
Offered by Peachtree Woodworking Supply Inc
Price: $12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good design, solid construction, January 6, 2012
After evaluating the myriad convertible (crib/toddler/adult) bed plans on the internet, I decided to purchase these plans because they seemed to me the most adaptable to our "Crate and Barrel" sensibilities. I made it a little taller, removed the arch, changed the spacing of the slats and added stiles. My wife was ecstatic with the results. Couldn't have done it without these plans showing me the way, though.
Similar plans are available elsewhere at similar prices. FWIW, my advice would be to just pick up these plans (instead of spending 10 minutes to find the same plans for $1 cheaper).

3-in-1 Bed for All Ages: Downloadable Woodworking Plan
3-in-1 Bed for All Ages: Downloadable Woodworking Plan
by Editors of WOOD Magazine
Edition: Digital
Price: $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good design, solid construction, January 6, 2012
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2013 12:26 PM PDT

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire)
A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire)
by George R. R. Martin
Price: $23.76
298 used & new from $2.95

4.0 out of 5 stars new layers for a rich universe, September 6, 2011
Martin has created a vast and colorful tapestry, so I don't mind conceding action for some deep-dive plot development. This would have been easier to digest if it hadn't taken 5 years to get cooked up (I'd forgotten all but the A-list characters). I just hope the remaining books come out faster and that the thousands of pages have been "worth it". I'd like to give it 0 stars for taking 5 years to write, but that wouldn't be fair to the book!

Motorola LS1000Wb 10" Digital Photo Frame with Wi-Fi
Motorola LS1000Wb 10" Digital Photo Frame with Wi-Fi

2.0 out of 5 stars Crippled without framechannel, June 24, 2011
The worst part of framechannel going away isn't the loss of the weather and calendar feeds--those were just nice to have. It's that the frame can no longer boot up to the pictures piped in through framechannel. Instead I get to see the stock photos that came with the frame until I take 30 seconds to access the menu options and make the frame download directly from Picassa--each day.
Why Motorola didn't make picassa and flikr start-up options, the way they did with framechannel, I'll never know.
But I bet if Motorola felt like it they could put together a firmware upgrade to fix that oversight. Until they do, steer clear of this compromised hardware.

Norpro 682 Anti Freeze Ice Cream Spade
Norpro 682 Anti Freeze Ice Cream Spade
Price: $5.62
25 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars sturdy and effective, May 22, 2011
It's an ice cream spade, so I'm not going to lose my mind or anything. But it's very sturdy and it doesn't freeze up. Nice product.

iHome iP9 Speaker Dock with Clock Radio for iPod and iPhone (Black)
iHome iP9 Speaker Dock with Clock Radio for iPod and iPhone (Black)
2 used & new from $48.97

1.0 out of 5 stars look elsewhere, May 22, 2011
Want to know how bad the ihome series is? There's a popular search engine that starts with "G". You know the one. Go to it and type in "ihome wont". You'll get a feel for all the problems that come with this piece of junk. iFail.

Cressi Right Swim Goggle (Aqua, Large)
Cressi Right Swim Goggle (Aqua, Large)
Price: $17.95
2 used & new from $16.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, September 8, 2010
This review is from: Cressi Right Swim Goggle (Sports)
These goggles do the job much more comfortably than the Nike goggles I wore previously. Learned a trick while surface diving: if your goggles leak, you probably have them adjusted too *tight*. Applied that lesson with these goggles and now I'm all set.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply awesome, July 10, 2007
Let's not delude ourselves here; this grill won't improve your cooking skills, hairline, or gas mileage. This grill does a good job of holding really hot coals and the food above it. It's small and light and you can grill 4 regular-sized steak on it at a time.

Page: 1 | 2