Profile for Matthew David Ritchey > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 73

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Matthew David Ritchey "tgibfo" RSS Feed (Hollywood, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Livetime (Original Recording Remastered)
Livetime (Original Recording Remastered)
Price: $11.99
26 used & new from $5.50

2.0 out of 5 stars The album quality is not great but that's not even close to the biggest problem, August 4, 2014
Nope. Sorry, but live albums can't be considered merely for how well the artist performed the songs. The album quality is not great but that's not even close to the biggest problem. It was poorly edited and leaves Daryl Hall and John Oates sounding like amateurs dealing with the crowd in their stage banter - sounds like this was one of their poorer shows. And the songs are weak. Look, I get that it was recorded in '77 and they were coming off an album neither of them liked and they only had two hit songs under their belt…. but bootlegs from '74 and '75 shows have a more interesting mix of songs. "Livetime" feels like a record company cash-grab to make more money off of "Rich Girl." A few years later they recorded a double-album worth of live material from the 1981 tour which included as much "album" material but the quality of the recording, professionalism, and the SONGS were light years beyond this. And yet, it didn't get released until the 2000s. Go figure.

This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It (John Dies at the End)
by David Wong
Price: $9.57
74 used & new from $5.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic comedy horror!, January 8, 2014
I watched JOHN DIES AT THE END rather than reading it and I may have to go back, now that I know what a good writer Jason Pargin is. The Epiolgue of this book (which I consider to be the best chapter, actually) literally had me screaming with laughter. And the ride to get there was fantastic. If you're a horror/comedy fan with an appreciation of literacy and big, relevant themes, this is your book. I can't wait for another one!

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
by Allie Brosh
Price: $10.02
203 used & new from $1.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Crying. CRYING laughing., November 15, 2013
I love this. I love the website and I love this book. Literally the only negative thing I could say about this book is that it doesn't include THE YEAR KENNY LOGGINS RUINED CHRISTMAS (which might be the funniest thing I've ever read), and that technology has not made it possible to stream the goose video in a paperback book.

If you have never read any of these things, I suggest the brilliant website (because you can get your fix immediately) and then picking up the book which includes brand new "has me crying laughing" stories. (The Parrot. I'm just saying.)

Allie, if you're reading this (and if you're anything like me, you reading every single review of your product available), congrats. It's amazing. I'm looking forward to the second one!! Please pet the Helper and the Simple for me.

-review protected by Invisible Copyright Monster.

Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (2013 Barrel) [Blu-ray]
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (2013 Barrel) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Bryan Cranston
Offered by CG Movies and Games
Price: $219.99
26 used & new from $136.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Special Features specs, September 9, 2013
BREAKING BAD: THE COMPLETE SERIES Barrel Set Special Features Include:

No Half Measures: Creating the Final Season of Breaking Bad - An all-new, exclusive two hour documentary that chronicles the filming of the final eight episodes.
Additional bonus features include all previously released featurettes and retail exclusives:

Bad Memories - Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul talk about the show ending and some of their favorite moments.
Bryan Cranston: Director - Go on set with Bryan Cranston as he directs the first episode of the season entitled "Blood Money."
Scene Envy - The Cast tell us which scene they wish they could have been in.
Shocking Moments - The stars reveal the moments that shocked them most.
From Walt to Heisenberg - From high school teacher to deadly meth dealer, watch as Walter White quickly transforms into Heisenberg.
How Will It End? - At the beginning of the season, the cast was asked to give their thoughts on how they thought the show would end.
Avenging Agent: Dean Norris as Hank Schrader -- A look at the character Hank Schrader and the man who played him, Dean Norris.

Scene Stealer: Betsy Brandt as Marie Schrader - A look at the character Marie Schrader and the woman who plays her, Betsy Brandt.

A Criminal Attorney: Bob Odenkirk as Saul Goodman -A look at the character Saul Goodman and the man who played him, Bob Odenkirk.

Jesse's Journey: Aaron Paul as Jesse Pinkman - A look at the character Jesse Pinkman and the man who played him, Aaron Paul.

Skyler Breaks Bad: Anna Gunn on Season Four - Actress Anna Gunn and series creator Vince Gilligan explore Skyler's character evolution through the fourth season.

Growing Up in the White House: RJ Mitte on Walter, Jr. - RJ Mitte, Anna Gunn, Bryan Cranston and series creator Vince Gilligan discuss the extraordinary dynamics of the White family, and Walter, Jr.'s unique role.

The Ultimate Chess Match - Members of the cast and crew discuss Walter White and Gus Fring's extraordinary and complicated battle of wits and their struggle for Jesse's allegiance.

Looking Back: A Season Four Retrospective - Season Four's most surprising and memorable moments.

Ted's Wipeout - In Episode 411, "Crawl Space," Ted Beneke suffers a head injury while trying to escape from Saul's goons. In this featurette, Christopher Cousins (Ted) explains how this shocking stunt was accomplished.

The Truck Attack Storyboard Comparison - A side-by-side comparison of the Los Pollos Hermanos truck attack and the brilliant shot-by-shot storyboards that were created for the episode "Bullet Points."

Walt and the Challenger Storyboard Comparison - A side-by-side comparison of the sequence where Walt indulges in some crazy stunt driving in Walt Jr.'s Dodge Challenger and the storyboards that were created.

-via COLLIDER
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2013 9:26 PM PDT

Hesitation Marks (Deluxe Edition)
Hesitation Marks (Deluxe Edition)
Offered by RYU'SHOP
Price: $14.55
39 used & new from $8.23

3.0 out of 5 stars It makes sense...., September 3, 2013
3 1/2

The thing about being a fan of Trent Reznor's music is that you're not going to get the same thing over and over again. In some ways, that's good, in some ways, that can be disappointing. HESITATION MARKS is a pretty good example of both of those.

You can tell what direction Trent is going by his last album. There was a lot of instrumental soundfield stuff on YEAR ZERO which came right before his two-disc all-instrumental GHOSTS. His HOW TO DESTROY ANGELS albums went from being a Nine Inch Nails album with a female lead singer (upsetting, as it would have been one of his best had it been released as NIN) to a far more electronic vibe on the HTDA WELCOME OBLIVION and extreme minimalism on his GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO soundtrack. So, he's obviously interested in minimalism and electronic stuff these days. No shock then that his new album would have a lot of it.

And it does. Which is great if you take it for what it is and don't expect it to be one of the albums you liked when you were younger. Assuming there's another NIN album ever again, it will never be THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL, so don't hope for it.

Realizing that this album happened because Trent was writing to songs as bonus material for an upcoming "Best of Nine Inch Nails" and just decided to keep going, the "concept album" ideas of SPIRAL, YEAR ZERO and to an extent, THE FRAGILE are not here. He also decided to not censor himself and just release material that wouldn't be popular with his hard rock fans ("Everything") and change some of his predictable "soft verse-screamy chorus-repeat" stuff to something more unique ("All Time Low"), though he still writes lyrics in much the same time signature and key, so some things will never change.

The lyrical aspect and artwork hearken back to THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL, but the music itself - especially the wide range of styles - is most reminiscent of THE FRAGILE - an album that took me quite a while to get into, but once I did, I was hooked forever.

So, track by track:

EATER OF DREAMS: I totally wish this was three minutes longer. I love where this is going and I'm upset I couldn't sit with it longer.

COPY OF A: Fantastic. Great opener and a nice mix of PHM and YZ.

CAME BACK HAUNTED: I get why this was the first single. On the one hand, that fuzz bass line is one of the coolest things he's done in years. On the other, you can sing "The Hand That Feeds" to this music and it fits perfectly. Listen to enough NIN and you'll realize for all his ingenuity, Trent writes some pretty simple 4/4 melodies that can sound alike easily. But this has the exact same chord structure. That being said, I prefer this to THTF, so........

FIND MY WAY: Hearing Trent sing about "My Lord" in any fashion other than cursing him is strangely upsetting. Ignoring that, this is a beautiful song.

ALL TIME LOW: I love when Trent gets funky. Along with CLOSER and INTO THE VOID, ALL TIME LOW has that great funk groove. I'm not a huge fan of how it slowly drifts off into nowhere at the end, but the first 3/4 is great. Definitely one of the best tracks.

DISAPPOINTED: I love the music and I like the verses, but the chorus doesn't seem to fit here. Not the lyrics, but the melody. Like "We're In This Together," it doesn't work for me.

EVERYTHING: I actually love this song. Trent has always been as influenced by the Cure and new wave as he has by Bauhaus, and I love how this song defies expectation while holding onto a shadowy chorus.

SATELLITE: Very YEAR ZERO. Great track, great use of whispers, and of prescient NSA paranoia.

VARIOUS METHODS OF ESCAPE: Amazing. One of my faves. The music is very THE FRAGILE and I've always been in the camp of "the glitchier the better."

RUNNING: And here, a song that could have been good if a little more time was spent on it. If the chorus wasn't so almost comically upbeat, or if it had been used as a pre-chorus instead, maybe. But it feels too much like a work-in-progress to me.

I WOULD FOR YOU: I have a similar issue with this track. For some reason, the bass sounds very cheesy to me rather than brooding. Take that out and this is a classic NIN song. Slow build, big chorus, the occasional mechanical noise..... nice.

IN TWO: Other than the act that the pre-chorus is so cool I would like to have it return again in the song, this may be my favorite.

WHILE I'M STILL HERE/BLACK NOISE: Wow. It's like your typical soft Nine Inch Nails finale with a smooth jazz guitarist and saxophonist. What? But it works. This is why I love Trent Reznor.

Like most NIN albums, it'll probably take a few months to make a firm decision, but keeping expectations managed, HESITATION MARKS is a pretty decent listen.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2013 2:03 AM PDT

Beauty on a Back Street (Original Recording Remastered)
Beauty on a Back Street (Original Recording Remastered)
Price: $11.99
36 used & new from $7.68

2.0 out of 5 stars Really?, August 14, 2013
Look, Hall and Oates are on my top three list of my favorite artists EVER. But they put out two pretty weak-to-bad albums and this is one.

It's poorly mixed, the experimental tracks fail, and even the okay tracks ("Don't Change," "Why Do Lovers") are left in the mud because the production quality, studio musicians, and surrounding album material are so poor. If either of those songs had been put on later albums (say, VOICES) they might have stood a chance, as the songwriting is still quality, but no. They're stuck on the album that even Hall and Oates have dismissed and refuse to acknowledge.

Because I'm a hard rock fan, I kinda dig "Bad Habits," but even so, this is a weaker precursor to "Art of Heartbreak" or the prior album's "Room To Breathe."

Side Two is essentially worthless.

Sorry, but this is the ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE of Hall and Oates albums. That said, people love that Bond movie for reasons I'll never understand, so....
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2014 10:16 AM PST

Copy of a
Copy of a

4.0 out of 5 stars Even better than Came Back Haunted, August 13, 2013
This review is from: Copy of a (MP3 Music)
Ok, first let's just all say together "Thank you, Trent, for a free track!" (We are, for the moment, ignoring the fact that most of us have already pre-ordered and paid for it in album form, but I digress....)

After hearing the live version (and liking it) on various YouTube vids, finally getting a clean studio version has upped the quality, in my opinion. Trent doesn't keep a specific style for very long and anybody complaining that "this doesn't sound like the old Nine Inch Nails" is right - it sounds like the new Nine Inch Nails.

And it makes perfect sense. His last series of albums was How To Destroy Angels, which focused on more electronica. Now, I do kinda wish some tracks from those albums had been saved for a Nine Inch Nails album down the way (BBB and PARASITE in particular, but really most of the first EP) but whatever - this has the same kind of throwback PRETTY HATE MACHINE electronica that CAME BACK HAUNTED had and, as someone who considers YEAR ZERO to be his favorite NIN album, I highly approve.

Since HESITATION MARKS started out as just a few tracks for a mandatory BEST OF NINE INCH NAILS album, it will be interesting to hear what Trent gets interested in next and how that might shape his next sound and project when it's not accidental.

Bossypants
Bossypants
by Tina Fey
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.15
143 used & new from $1.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Five hours., April 5, 2013
This review is from: Bossypants (Mass Market Paperback)
I am not the fastest reader in the world and I rarely get through a book in a day. I read BOSSYPANTS in five hours. I laughed out loud, embarrassing myself in public, and wished it was longer.

Highly, HIGHLY recommended. This book reaffirms all the reasons I love Tina Fey. I warned my girlfriend long ago that should Tina Fey arrive at my door and suggest I run away with her, I would do so. I stand by that statement.

My girlfriend is totally not worried.

Do It for Love
Do It for Love
Offered by Cosmic-King llc
Price: $9.87
86 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Three and a half stars., March 25, 2013
This review is from: Do It for Love (Audio CD)
Hall and Oates scrapped an album they recorded for SONY before recording and releasing DO IT FOR LOVE. I'd be really interested in knowing what those songs sounded like, especially if many were scrapped in favor of half of this album. And "half" is a very important word here. This is half a good Hall and Oates album, in much the way that MARIGOLD SKY was. Most of the first half of the album is great - solid rock n soul and great songwriting. Four tracks on here weren't written by either Daryl or John, and those are the songs that are the least impressive in my opinion. The second half of the album (with the exception of Heartbreak Time) is a blatant attempt to sound like contemporary soul - and failing. ("Miss DJ"? Really?) And as a last-ditch effort, DIFL includes one track from each of Daryl and John's last solo albums - I guess in an attempt to get it heard by an audience who would only pick up something with the "Hall and Oates" label on it.

Look, when it's solid, it's solid - Man On A Mission, Do It For Love, Life's Too Short, Forever For You, the aforementioned Heartbreak Time and even Make You Stay are all really good tracks. (And the bonus track "It Must Be" is also great!) Notice that I've just mentioned about half of the album. After that, it's a downhill slide. But hey, it's not like every album can have 12 A-list tracks on it and we all just got really lucky in the 80's that most of the B-list stuff was incredibly good even if it wasn't single material. But since this is most likely the last Hall and Oates album ever, it disappoints me that there are so many throwaway tracks on it.

Three and a half stars because when it's good, it's classic stuff; but when it's bad, it's eyeball-rollingly bad. (I repeat: "Miss DJ"? Really?)

Specter At The Feast
Specter At The Feast
Price: $9.49

3.0 out of 5 stars It'll grow on me, March 22, 2013
This review is from: Specter At The Feast (MP3 Music)
Albums like this usually take a while for me to commit to and truly make up my mind about, but that's not a critique of the quality of the music by any measure - the whole album is the kind of well-crafted songwriting that fans have come to expect from BRMC. There is a decidedly quiet and introspective feel to SPECTER, which is to be expected, as it follows (and feels largely about) the death of Robert Been's father (the reason for the cover of "Let The Day Begin," I'm sure). But even before this release, some of the single releases from the band have felt darker - "Bad Things" from True Blood and "Shadow On The Run" from BATMAN: Arkham City. I like the dark edge, but some of this new album were too slow for my taste.

I've noticed that there seem to be two major camps in the BRMC - those who discovered them and prefer the sound of the bluesy, unplugged HOWL and those who prefer the poppy BABY 81. The band did a terrific job of fusing these two styles into a sound for BEAT THE DEVIL'S TATTOO. On each of these albums, there were tracks that jumped out at me immediately and hooked on - there are, of course, some songs on SPECTER that do the same, but there are fewer. SPECTER picks up and has some great straight-ahead rockers, but they are surrounded by far more softer material - high-quality material, I grant you, but I prefer my BRMC as a high-octane rock n roll group.

So from a critical and artistic standpoint, this is a very solid album and was hopefully very cathartic; from a personal standpoint, it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

And all of the above having been said, "Sell It" may be the quintessential Black Rebel Motorcycle Club song.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8