Profile for John Stone > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John Stone "John" RSS Feed (Philadelphia, PA)

The Devil's Guide to Hollywood: The Screenwriter as God!
The Devil's Guide to Hollywood: The Screenwriter as God!
by Joe Eszterhas
151 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on the craft of screen writing., December 31, 2006
First off, this book is an attack on Robert McKee. This makes it a great book right from the start. It's about time some one exposed that fraud for who he is. I've produced and written a number of shows, commercials, documentaries, and what not, so trust me, I've seen first hand the effects this fraud(Robert McKee) has had on people tyring to get into the business. Too many colleges are telling would be writers to buy his 50 pound book of nonsense. I've also laughed my head off watching one of his "you can do it!" DVD's at my friend's house. Just think of all of the money these poor suckers could have saved if they just opened this amazing book on screenwriting and surviving Hollywood. Thank God it was Joe Esztherhaus who came along and knocked that con man out of the ring. The rest of the book is pure gravy! Just a great read for those wanting to be in the business and for those who just want a little glimpse behind the scenes. I don't know if Joe will work again after this book so I'll just thank him here for all of the fun movies and for writing an amazing tale. I'm sure some instances were over blown a bit, but, this is a writer of fiction for crying out loud, so take some of it with a grain of salt. Be sure though, to take all of the warnings and head's up's on how to deal with an agent seriously. He's one of the first screen writers to tell you how to make a buck doing what he does. He comes across as very humble and palin speaking, and that's refreshing. Escpecially when he writes about who's for real and who isn't. I would also suggest looking up a book called Breakfast with Sharks as the perfect companion piece to this book. Happy new years!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2007 1:27 PM PDT

Hysteria
Hysteria
Price: $26.49
48 used & new from $11.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah!, December 8, 2006
This review is from: Hysteria (Audio CD)
I looked high and low for the original recording of Tear it Down and now I finally have it. Good stuff. Felt like I had a mullet all over again. Good times. The B Sides are surprisingly well recorded and all of the remastering really pays off. The live tracks are phenomenal and genuine sounding. Buy this. You won't regret. It'll add ten years to your life. A great booklet comes with it as well.

Stop the Clocks
Stop the Clocks
26 used & new from $1.62

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh, November 23, 2006
This review is from: Stop the Clocks (Audio CD)
I've run out of patience. I stuck with 'em through Be Here Now and everything after. They said some great song called Stop the Clocks was going to be on this. There's an acoustic rocker that plays in the trailer for their upcoming movie. There's a nice melodic slow moving number that plays on a different trailer. So...in the end...what do we get? A lazy mix tape of stuff we all already have. I understand greatest hits albums are made up of songs that were already released. And they get one star for re doing a song. However, I never thought I'd see the day that I'd give Oasis one star. Unfortunately, today's the day. It's simply out of disappointment. These days it seems they're doing a little too much talking and not enough walking. Mad ferit? Barely.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2006 6:48 PM PST

Doing It for Money: The Agony and Ecstasy of Writing and Surviving in Hollywood
Doing It for Money: The Agony and Ecstasy of Writing and Surviving in Hollywood
by Daryl G. Nickens
Price: $21.37
47 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Ooof...., June 16, 2006
OK. Sorry. I was really looking forward to reading this book. I write and produce and edit for a living so some of the anxiety isn't as real as it was a few years back when I didn't write for a living, so maybe that's why I didn't enjoy the book as much as I should've. First off, the first 50 pages are riddled with professional writers who don't seem to like writing. Yes, they've all made it, and they're successful. The self deprication however, is way too out of hand, and I feel like I'm being patronized and pandered to. Just claiming you're lucky and having an "aw shucks" attitude is pretty rampant in TV and Film land, and it takes some getting used too. I was, however, very surprised to find it so rampant in this book. I thought that perhaps, for once, the writers would drop all pretension and angst and actually share the processes that went into making and selling a script. Maybe I've just worked with too many people like this and I'm jaded. Believe me...this book is great if you're fresh out of college or thinking about "finally getting around to writing that novel". The mentions of stars and 'yes' people ruining the script are very true and realistic. The book is a light read. The book is a fun read. Don't expect much more than that. I'm not complaining. I was just looking for more. Two books I'd recommend as an alternative...Which Lie Did I Tell? By William Goldman and Lessons from a Lifetime of Writing, by David Morrell. The second book keeps it very, very simple. The book basically says that if you're not sitting and writing, you're not a writer. It's very practical, entertaining, and has helped me achieve moderate success. Enjoy.

Ego Has Landed
Ego Has Landed
219 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars If a tree fell in the woods, and no one was around......, April 7, 2006
This review is from: Ego Has Landed (Audio CD)
What the heck happened? I remember listening to this CD five years ago and nodding to every song as my ears witnessed one pop materpiece after the other. I felt like I was listening to a greatest hits album. I know it's a combination of two albums, but still...pretty good stuff for two album's worth of material crunched into one amazing CD. So, now, here we are five years later, and, well, if I walked up to give or take 150 people and asked them if they knew who Robbie Williams was, 148 of them would say he was that funny guy in Mrs.Doubtfire. This should have been the biggest album of the past decade. I'm not a music critic, but I've been listening to all types of music for the past 30 or so years. I have to tell you..if you're checking this out, wondering whether or not to buy this album, then by all means, do it. Granted, Robbie Williams is his own worst enemy...he did cancel a show I went too, and apparently it wasn't the first show he's cancelled. He also called his video for Angels "Poo" on MTV. So, maybe he's just some one with an amazing voice but punk sensibilities(not refelected in his pop songs, though, just his attitude). I can respect that, but, if the record company's doing everything it can to promote you and you're just 'blow'ing it all and shoving your luck up your nose, or into your liver, then maybe you don't deserve what ever is on the golden platter that's in front of you. Hopefully some day he'll learn and get with it. I certainly hope so. If he lives long enough to pull through, and puts out another album as good as this one, then America will be given an amazing gift. Until then, the rest of the world is keeping an amazing well known secret to itself and Robbie Williams will be an enigma to the thirty or forty of us who hum his tunes on a daily basis. Heck, at least we don't have to put up with anyone joining in on a hum along. On second thought, keep drinking Robbie, you might be one of those obnoxious recovery people like Steven Tyler and end up playing half time in a space suit.

Glass Houses
Glass Houses
33 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars First album, March 19, 2006
This review is from: Glass Houses (Audio CD)
This was my first album ever. I was in third grade. It was this, and Disco Duck, so, you can guess which one stood the test of time. The other album, Glass Houses, was great too! I was too young to understand why being a straight A student meant you thought too much, but, I knew that if you got bad grades, you were cool, and some day, I might have a white boy's afro, wear a leather member's only jacket, and throw a rock through my rich girlfriend's glass house. What do you want from me...I was eight years old when I first heard this album. Thanks to this album I conned my Grandparents into buying me a sax, and then a key board, and then a leather jacket, and, eventually, drums. So, thanks to Billy Joel's Glass Houses, my life would never, ever follow a linear path on the road most travelled. One thing that does stand out, other than the fact that this album still blows away every album I have bought since...the whole star spangled banner playing with the bars and tone sound leading into the song. No one these days will understand what that sound means, which makes it even better. When ever I listen to this album, it always reminds me of a simpler time when every house had one phone, no answering machine, no internet, and a TV with 3 channels on a dial that played the national anthem or star spangled banner as we all fell asleep in the living room....you know...when families all actually hung out with each other. Thank you Billy.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2014 6:30 PM PST

Bad Vibes
Bad Vibes
72 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Why isn't Lloyd Cole famous?, March 6, 2006
This review is from: Bad Vibes (Audio CD)
Well? Any one? I don't get it. Great album by the way. One of the best ever made. Scratches head and smokes a cig....

Motley Crue: Carnival of Sins
Motley Crue: Carnival of Sins
DVD ~ Motley Crue
30 used & new from $12.44

5.0 out of 5 stars I felt like I was back in High School, January 12, 2006
I felt like grabbing a mullet wig and flicking the lighter. This was a blast. It was good un clean fun and more DVD's need to be like this. The drum solo was terrible and that's what made it great. Only a metal head will get that last line! ROCK ON MOTLEY!

Rather Dumb: A Top Tabloid Reporter Tells CBS How to Do News
Rather Dumb: A Top Tabloid Reporter Tells CBS How to Do News
by Mike Walker
50 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Kicking him while he's down?, March 13, 2005
Mike Walker printed an article in his column about three months ago that stated that Ice-T was going to revive the career of David Hasselhoff by making him into a rap star called Hassel-the Hoff. No kidding. Its there. Google it. The only thing is...Ice T knew nothing about it and it turned out to be a false story. I took this in stride since it was in the National Enquirer and Mike Walker wasn't what I considered a "journalist". I even pictured Mike Walker as not even considering himself a journalist. I thought of him, and admired him at the time, for being some one on the fringes of the press just having a good time enjoying his Irish fortune.

Well, as I've come to find out, I was very very wrong. When I saw "Rather Dumb" on the shelf in the book store, I almost didn't bother until I saw that it was done by Mike Walker. So, I opened it up, and...at first I enjoyed it.

Now, let me get a few things out of the way...

I support George Bush. I work for CBS. I like Mike Walker. I can't stand Dan Rather for nearly sinking the network I work for and endangering the stock that I'm betting my old age on. I'm not a liberal in any way, there's nothing wrong with being a liberal, however, I'm not one.

Now that that's out of the way, I have to say "Rather Dumb" is a huge let down. Maybe its the Irish in me, but, I was always taught that if you come out swinging, don't pull your punches. I got the humor that Mike Walker was going for, and pretty much enjoyed the first twenty pages of the book because I started to feel the way I felt when I watched a Mike Tyson fight in the late eighties, back when Tyson cared. But somewhere along the line, Buster Douglas came and went and Tyson never threw a punch worth dodging again. That's basically how the rest of the book went. I won't ruin it for you, there are some funny parts, but Dan Rather really needs a good clobbering, and this just wasn't the book to do it. It could have been.

Mike Walker could have written a great document about the downfall of Dan Rather but has become a victim of all of the hubris and ego that he pokes fun at since he never bothers to fact check his own stories nor does he care how they might affect the subjects of his stories whether or not they are "public figures".

I understand that it's all about ratings, money, and ads, there's nothing wrong with that. I don't pretend my bread and butter comes from caring about the common man. But when a lazy journalist points a finger at another lazy journalist, there's four fingers pointing back at him. A near miss. Too bad.

Note to Mike Walker:When Dan Rather left, there really wasn't a vacuum created for stuffy self important people who suffered from white guilt and felt bad about making money off of ad revenue...so please don't fill it. Lighten up and get back to writing about Hassle-the Hoff and his next album!

Super Fuzz [VHS]
Super Fuzz [VHS]
VHS
Offered by eFast
Price: $34.99
8 used & new from $7.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny thing about this movie................, November 29, 2004
This review is from: Super Fuzz [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Remember when Dave Speed escaped from the prison, you notice he dives in a weird kinda straight line kinda way? I always wondered about this mystery of the universe, and brought it up during many debaucherous nights, and no one had an answer. Upon a recent viewing with a brand spankin' "new" copy on VHS, I realized why....the beans. He was eating plates and plates of beans to give him propulsion so he could break through the wall and jump into the "river". Forget the so called "classics" like The Godfather, Scarface, and The Deer Hunter. This is the movie that gives you something different every time you see it.

Supah Supah indeed! "I will dance like Fred Astaire!"