Profile for mzglorybe > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 529

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

mzglorybe RSS Feed (Southern CA USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Girl on the Train: A Novel
The Girl on the Train: A Novel
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Like nothing I've ever read before..., February 6, 2015
and yes, I've read "Gone Girl."
I wasn't going to finish it after I read the sample because it sounded depressing. It opens with such a sad and pathetic individual as the main character (Rachel)... but, since I had it already, I read more. Before I knew it half the book was read in my first afternoon with it, and by then I was hooked and had to finish it the next day.

We are learning the story line from the voice of 3 female characters, in present day, and in a few months past. Some may find that disconcerting, but I found it easy enough to follow. At times Rachel's part seemed repetitive, but she was trying to work through what she thinks she saw, and so it came across as believable.

I was left with one question that I will try to address without creating a spoiler. I'm puzzled about who the man REALLY was that Rachel said she saw kissing Megan as the train passed by their terrace that day. It wasn't the man she identified to the police, and it couldn't be the killer, as she would have recognized him, so that's left me perplexed. Otherwise, I found it an engrossing mystery, and even though the 3 main women were pathetic, they were believable. I've known women like this.

The critics/reviews are mixed on this. Make up your own mind, and don't compare it or expect it to be like anything else you've read before.

The Day We Met: A Novel
The Day We Met: A Novel
by Rowan Coleman
Price: $11.25

4.0 out of 5 stars "What will survive of us is love.", February 1, 2015
4.5 stars.
The setting is in the London area. It is written in "English" English, i.e; an elevator is a lift, the bathroom is the loo, a grocery cart is a trolley., etc.

Meet Claire, a forty-something suffering from familial degenerative Alzheimers Disease, a gene which is passed on. Her father died when she was 10 and had been afflicted with it. She is the mother of two girls, one is a 20-year-old, Caitlin, the other is Esther, 3-1/2, the product of her marriage to Greg, which was only a few years prior to her diagnosis. Greg is the love of her life.

Claire is forgetting Greg. In her most vulnerable and confused Alzheimer's moments sees him as an intruder in her home. As we know, short term memory loss is the most common symptom of A.D. Somehow, she doesn't forget her daughter Esther, but she can't recall her feelings of love for Greg. Her "Mum" Ruth, is her care-giver, living in, and the poor woman has her hands full, trying to keep Claire safe from harm that Claire herself doesn't realize she puts herself in. We read this novel from their perspectives, Claire's, Ruth's, Caitlin's and Greg's, and from various points in time, yet it flows easily and believably. I know this, having had the experience of caring for a parent with this often overwhelming disease. Yet, Coleman does not write a depressing or morose novel, it is sprinkled with humor, a necessary facet that often times lightens the load.

This is not a "Still Alice" novel, but it is a good eye-opener for those who have a loved one suffering from this disease. It affects everyone, and addresses the moments of fear, of helplessness, and yes, even those moments of lucidity which include the remembrances of joy.

I loved all the characters. Coleman developed them well. Greg not as much, but enough that we knew his love for Claire was ever-lasting. Claire was a joy for me to meet. I loved her strength, sense of humor and loyalty. She is quite remarkable, you won't regret having met her if you take the time to do so, and I recommend you do.

Thanks to Amazon for the opportunity to review the ARC of this insightful and poignant novel, to be released in March, 2015.

Eucerin Diabetics' Dry Skin Relief Foot Creme, 3 Ounce (Pack of 3)
Eucerin Diabetics' Dry Skin Relief Foot Creme, 3 Ounce (Pack of 3)
Price: $14.95
3 used & new from $13.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for diabetics..., February 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I battle dry heels and toes. I walk around in flip flops most of the time, and barefoot a lot of the time. My feet need constant care and I've tried many foot creams, and need regular pedicures. This is the first time I can definitely see a difference. I have to agree with those that said they could feel a difference with just the first initial application.

This comes in a tube and is more like a lotion than a cream. You only need a slight amount. I have been using it for over 2 weeks now and am pleased with the results. I only use it once at night before bed. I apply it and let my feet dry out for a few minutes before tucking them under the covers. I don't find it greasy at all. They feel soft the following day as well. After showering I use my regular body cream all over, including my feet, but at night I only use this one. Not everyone will have the same experience as I can see by the other reviews, but this is definitely worth trying if you haven't had success with other foot products.

In Wilderness: A Novel
In Wilderness: A Novel
by Diane Thomas
Price: $19.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Ahh, the writing!... you will feel like you are there, January 28, 2015
This review is from: In Wilderness: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This takes place in the mid 60's set in the Georgia mountains. This compelling and haunting novel is the story of Katherine and Danny, two broken souls, who form an unlikely yet strange and volatile relationship, fueled by the basic need to connect with another and feel human again.

Meet Katherine. Formerly a successful, educated career woman, but life circumstances and ill health have her at deaths door at the age of 38. Her skeletal body fails to assimilate her food. She cannot keep down and process what she eats. Three physicians come up with the same prognosis. She has about 6 months to live. They don't have a name for her illness, and can't help her. She sells her business and buys a remote property out in the wilderness where she intends to stay and live out her final days on earth, thinking she will be all alone there. You can't help but like Katherine from the onset. She is prepared with the necessities to do this.

Meet Danny. A Vietnam vet, now suffering from PTSD. His illness had no name at the time either. Also living alone with his inner demons, he has been squatting on land now owned by Katherine. He resents her intrusion when she arrives. In his mind he calls her all kinds of filthy names, his language is crude and that doesn't change much throughout the novel. He does not leave a good first-impression with the reader. As Danny's story progresses however, the reader will feel empathy for him as we learn what brought him to this state he is in, but that takes awhile. He is a complex soul, defined by the atrocities of his war-time experiences. Sometimes you admire his devotion, his desire for achievement and change, especially his desire for forgiveness. Getting to know Danny choked me up a time or two. Sometimes you hate what he is, but most of the time you just feel so sorry for him because you know what brought him to be this person.

Very well written, with lyrical qualities that had me engrossed from the onset and throughout the entire novel. Be forewarned the sexual scenes are explicit, for mature readers, so if that bothers you, just know you'll have some skimming to do. In this case, however, it seemed necessary to understand the mindset of the individual, that there was much more going on than just the physicality of it all.

It's one of those novels you will think about long after you've closed the cover. Thanks to Amazon for allowing me the privilege to review the ARC of this unique and captivating novel to be released March 3, 2015.

Executive Power (Mitch Rapp Book 6)
Executive Power (Mitch Rapp Book 6)
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars - we are lovin' this series, January 26, 2015
Book 6 - Mitch Rapp series - Haven't been disappointed yet with Flynn's novels. We love the character of Mitch Rapp, his dedication to serving his country and taking risks to do the right thing. Even though this was written years ago, earlier in this decade, much applies today to what is going on in the world. This was like a refresher history lesson for me, insofar as what has been going on for decades with Middle Eastern countries and the history between the Jews and the Arabs. I admit to being sick of the whole thing, and don't think there is hope for any peace between those countries. What pains me even more is the high cost we have paid (not all monetarily, but that too) in loss of life and casualties of war. After seeing the movie American Sniper, I'm even more convinced of this, and wish this war would end before my own budding soldier ends up over there.

Flynn had a way of giving you much factual information about international relationships/incidents and doing so in an entertaining novel-format that doesn't sound like a history book. It is not classroom material, but much of it is facts. We have lost a brilliant writer in the loss of Vince Flynn.

Recommended for lovers of political suspense /espionage/action reading and for either gender. My husband and I are reading the series and look forward to each installment. I recommend starting with Term Limits to get the background of who employs Mitch Rapp before he comes on board.

Rusty Nail - A Thriller (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Mysteries Book 3)
Rusty Nail - A Thriller (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Mysteries Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the squeamish!, January 20, 2015
Whew! I flew through this. Probably the best one so far, but geez, after this, you need a break from all the violence, mutilation, and emotional upheavals. It seems like Jack's criminals get more sadistic, and unbelievably uglier in each book. Well, she does work in the Violent Crimes Unit, and violence aplenty, dear reader. Not for the faint at heart. Is there that many psycho's around waiting to mutilate people? Yikes!! The family in this one has wayyy too many of them.

Even Jack wonders to herself why she's doing this. It seems overwhelming to her (also to the reader) that there is so much ugliness in the world and no matter how hard she tries to right things, there's only more ugliness waiting.

I did enjoy the read, but it won't appeal to all. After 3 of these, it's time for a light read ;)

Whiskey Sour - A Thriller (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Mysteries Book 1)
Whiskey Sour - A Thriller (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Mysteries Book 1)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Never read a series like this before, but I flew through this, January 20, 2015
Female Chicago Police Lt. Jack Daniels was once married to a Mr. Daniels, now divorced. Everyone calls her Jack, except her mother (also former cop) who calls her Jacqueline. In this the first book, she is hunting down a psycho, a serial killer dubbed The Gingerbread Man, with the help of her partner, Herb, and a former partner, now P.I. Harry McGlade. In her personal life, she gets dumped by a boyfriend, and gets talked into considering a dating service, hoping to find the right guy and have a bright side to her usually dreary life-style of chasing serial killers. She works in the Violent Crimes Unit, and violent they are. The crimes are horrific, and graphic. There is blood and gore, so it won't be for every reader. Just remember this is fiction. It is balanced by the humor and normal-ness, if you will, of the main characters, the witty good guys, whom I enjoyed getting acquainted with.

I noticed the humor wasn't as fluent in this as in some of the later novels. i.e; Fuzzy Navel, making this a more serious read, but still hard to put down. This is book #1 in the series and I suggest starting with this one first. I first read Fuzzy Navel, out of line, then went back to start at the beginning with this one. Even though this had some scenes that defied credibility, it was entertaining. Recommended if you like fast action, and tense situations laced with humor and believable characters.

HERO (The Billionaire Salvation Series Book 1)
HERO (The Billionaire Salvation Series Book 1)
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Started off good, but not for me, January 20, 2015
I was enjoying the story of the female DJ rescuing this child during a fire, and about the fire-fighter that took care of her as a result. That is, until we got to the intimate scenes that used graphic and raw language during love-making. That turned me off, sorry. I didn't like the way it was written. I like a little bit at least, left to the imagination.

This was book #1 in the series, which leaves you hanging, but I will not continue with the series.

Dirty Martini - A Thriller (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Mysteries Book 4)
Dirty Martini - A Thriller (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Mysteries Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable and fast reading..., January 18, 2015
Book 4 in the series. Entertaining and not as gory as the previous novels. No mutilation or dismembered victims. No blood and guts, just vomit and convulsions. The killings are fast, chemically induced, so the victims don't suffer quite as long as in the prequels to this. I do recommend starting with Whiskey Sour if you want to check out the series. My husband has started it now and is hooked. They have a good balance of crime, wit and action.

Lt. Jack Daniels (Jacqueline), homicide for Chicago PD is in true form, following the case of The Chemist, so labeled because he uses injectable or sprayable poisons on his victims. He's on a killing spree, spraying salad bars, produce, contaminating drinks, etc., in public places. Her partner, Herb has had enough of dead bodies and is influenced by his wife to switch to robbery, leaving Jack feeling pretty much on her own to find this guy.

Some of the actions scenes are a stretch, as usual, but fun. Jack's sexually active mother is not featured in this one, and we get to meet her biological father, which was a plus. Repulsive Harry, her P.I. friend and ex-partner, somewhat redeems himself as well, in how he helps Jack solve her case. I'm really enjoying the series.

Cupcakes & Chardonnay
Cupcakes & Chardonnay
Price: $1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, January 18, 2015
Cute, short and predictable romance. Anything involving baking and wineries always piques my interest. Could have been better developed, but then it wouldn't be short. The sexual scenes didn't leave much to the imagination, so if that bothers you, be forewarned. It revolves around two former lovers who haven't seen each other in years. The attraction is still there. The female character owns a cupcake shop and he is running a winery. A proposition is made that can benefit them both in their business and personal life.

I found it enjoyable, Just what I was looking for after reading a series of serial-killer mysteries. It a nice change of pace when I needed something light.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20