Profile for mzglorybe > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 571

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

mzglorybe RSS Feed (Southern CA USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Burt's Bees Facial Cleansing Towelettes, White Tea Extract and Peach Willow Bark, (Pack of 3)
Price: $17.97

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm loving these., July 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I received a box of 3 packages, 2 in white-tea scent and 1 that exfoliates in a peach scent (my fave). I love anything peach. The packaging is better than most, and each item is easy to remove and re-close, keeping the moisture in. For travel though they are bulky to pack, unless you are going to be gone for eons. For a weekend away, I just put a couple in a ziplock in my overnight case.

They remove makeup well, and are generous in size, unlike other brands I have tried. I don't use these on my eyes as they are very sensitive and under treatment. I remove eye makeup with baby oil (doctors orders), and that works well for me. But for the rest of my face, makeup comes off easily. I do rinse afterwards, and use a night cream at the end of the day. Overall, very happy with these... thumbs up for Burt's Bees towelettes.

Finders Keepers: A Novel
Finders Keepers: A Novel
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced and intense crime thriller ~ King at his best, July 26, 2015
4.5 stars
Hadn't read King in many years. More of a crime thriller than in the horror or macabre genre, Finders Keepers reminded me of what a good writer he is. There is a murder in the beginning, and a more graphic one towards the end, but the novel doesn't dwell on violence, blood/gore, and does not touch at all on the supernatural, as many of his works in the past have. Since this was about readers and their obsessions, about literature and more, including reference to classic authors and their most memorable works, it kept my interest all the way through.

I won't go into the plot line as it is outlined in the description already, but it is a unique twist for a crime which transpires because of an unbalanced reader obsessing on a fictional character and on the author who wrote about him. There are occasional little humorous lines of dialogue to ease the intensity which escalates to the point where it was difficult to put down, especially in the last third..

Previously, Kings books had so many characters in them that one had to concentrate on who was who and how they were contributing to the convoluted plots, which is why I took a long break from his work. This was easy to follow, with few characters, and an unusual, creative plot line. I didn't read Mr. Mercedes, and though some of the characters are referenced here in the last third of this novel, one doesn't have to have read it to know what went on. This stands alone well, ends satisfactorily, yet piques the readers interest as to what's coming up next, in the last installment of what apparently is a trilogy. Loved it!

The Bookshop on the Corner (Once in a Lifetime: The Gingerbread Cafe, Book 2.5) (The Bookshop series 1)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $4.11

3.0 out of 5 stars Whimsical, witty and just plain fun, July 26, 2015
A cute romance novel just perfect for a long wait at the airport or a stay-at-home weekend. It is short and can easily be finished in one day if you are a voracious reader like me. It takes place in a little town called Ashford where everyone knows everybody's business and where friends are there to lend an ear and have your back. The characters are the Gingerbread cafe owner and her cook, the local beauty salon owner, and then there is Sarah Smith, our main character, who runs the local used book store. Her books are her "babies."

What endeared me to this novel is Sarah's love of the written word, and books in general. The authors describes (in Sarah's voice) why even dog-eared paperbacks say something significant about the contents and their readers. A refreshing concept. I'd love to sit a spell in her book store. I could easily understand why she wanted time to herself with a chapter or two each morning before she opened the shop. Quaint book stores have an ambiance all their own.

The dialogue is witty and the characters loyal and believable, the kind you'd like as best friends. Not a 5-star novel (very few are, in my humble opinion) but at least 3.5 stars, and definitely worthy of a few hours of your time if "escapism" into something charming and funny sounds appealing to you.

DII 100% Polyester, Machine Washable, Tonal Bordered Fabric Tablecloth, 60 x 84", Gray, Seats 6 to 8 People
Price: $27.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up!, July 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This review is for the gray tonal-border tablecloth 60x84" The product description states that it is for 6-8 people table setting, but it can be used for a smaller table seating 4-6 people as well. I've used it on both my kitchen and dining tables. If using on the smaller rectangle table, the two-toned border just hangs a bit longer, but actually looks very nice at this length. Gray is hot right now in dishes and kitchens. This worked out very well for our every day needs with our stoneware and our china. We love the soft gray color and it can be dressed up with almost any other color napkin or dishes.

It shrunk very little, and no ironing was needed. As most all reviewers have already said, it looks like linen but is polyester so it comes out of the dryer ready to use. In fact, I put it in the dryer before using to smooth out the fold lines from storage.

The Guilty One
The Guilty One
by Sophie Littlefield
Price: $7.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Who is the Guilty One?, July 24, 2015
This review is from: The Guilty One (Paperback)
3.5 Star rating ~
How overwhelmed would you be if your child was murdered? How overwhelmed would you be if your child was the murderer? Not only are you consumed by grief, but the guilt that inevitably accompanies it is just as bad. That's what caring parents do, second-guess themselves. Could you, as a parent, have done something to avoid this tragedy?

This novel explores the emotional aftermath of just such a situation from the voice of two parents, the mother of the victim, Maris, and the father of the convicted, Ron.

We read and we see on the news how often young people turn to violence, taking lives, and wonder what kind of upbringing they had. What drove them to such a violent act? How awful it must feel to be the parent of a young killer, and of course, for the parents of the victims.

As a novel of fiction, this is not an entertaining subject matter, but yet it is a timely subject that will have you thinking about these characters, and others in real life like them, long after you have closed the cover.

This novel is structured well. It is not a thriller, per se, but the drama moves it along at a satisfactory pace. I was provided a pre-release ARC for my unbiased opinion by the Amazon Vine program. I rate it at 3.5 stars and look forward to future works by this budding author. The Guilty One will be released in August, 2015.

Noble Intentions: Season One (Episodes 1-5) (Jack Noble #4) (Noble Intentions Boxed set)
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect a Jack Reacher, Mitch Rapp or Will Robie type character, July 24, 2015
Nothing noble about these assassins. At least with the Rapp, Reacher and Robie characters, we could understand why they do what they do, and with patriotic even "noble" intentions. These characters are just murderers, they do it for the money, not for any "Noble Intentions." Maybe that's why the author titled it this way, because it's NOT.

For a first installment I thought we'd get some character development, some semblance into their personalities, but no. You don't even get to know the main characters well before they are killing people all over the place, even after they get what they want from their victims and promise not to hurt them, they still kill them.

I'm sorry I bought the whole series, I found myself not caring what happens halfway in between the first installment. I seriously don't get all the 4/5 star ratings. I'm being generous by giving this author 2.

Rada Cutlery G247 Super-Sized Pare and Peel Knife Gift Set
Rada Cutlery G247 Super-Sized Pare and Peel Knife Gift Set
Price: $14.93
2 used & new from $14.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, July 23, 2015
I've owned my Rada set of knives, sharpener and peeler for over 20 years. They are still doing the job well. When I bought mine at the L.A. County Fair eons ago, it was only offered in brushed steel. It was also recommended that they be hand washed, not in the dishwasher. I had no problem with that and have never "dishwashered" them, but in time they have discolored with use. At the time I bought several for gifts as I loved them, and everyone felt the same way, especially about the peeler. I had bachelor sons who "dishwashered" them anyway and theirs turned dull and dark but are still used today.

I was happy to see this new "dishwasher-friendly"alternative in black handles, a larger "man-size" peeler and good ratings. I bought this set for a gift for a recently married son who does most of the cooking in his household. He loves it and says the peeler feels good in his hand, the paring knife is sharp and we are sure these will last him for many years to come. I expect he will be buying other pieces as well. Highly recommended

What She Really Wants
What She Really Wants
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, too short to determine much, July 23, 2015
It's so short that it's hard to rate. I think it's even shorter than some samples I've downloaded of other books. I like Delinksy's style, and that is apparent here. This is a little novella about a guy that has to buy something for his wife's anniversary that will be meaningful to her without any hints from her or anyone else.

An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard Series Book 1)
An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard Series Book 1)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Impressive., July 23, 2015
Wow! Impressive.An impressive start to a series I will be sure to continue, although this stands alone with a satisfactory ending. I hadn't read a legal thriller in some time but needed a change of pace. This gave it to me and had me glued to the pages.

Joe Dillard is a defense attorney who is dissatisfied with his job and the scum that he represents. Usually the cases are appointed to him and he has no choice but to take them, even if he can't stomach the defendant. He decides he wants to retire, but wishes for just one more case of "An Innocent Client" that he can defend and feel good about. That client turns up in the beautiful face of a young woman known as Angel Gabriel, a waitress in a strip-joint who is accused of the murder and post-mortem-mutilation of a man of "the cloth." The disgusting Reverend Tester was drunk and disorderly and got fresh with Angel at the club.

There is no bad language, surprisingly, even from some of the creepy characters he represents. The violence and sexual content are not overly graphic. This multi-layered drama gives us a good insight into Joe and the supporting characters, who are fleshed out well, and believable. You will find yourself caring for what happens to them. Read it, even if you don't care for courtroom drama, this is presented very well and never boring.

Belkin Sleeve for Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Navy (F7P306ttC03)
Belkin Sleeve for Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Navy (F7P306ttC03)
Price: $21.21
7 used & new from $20.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic protective sleeve for your 10-inch device, July 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This sleeve will hold any 10-inch convertible (or not) tablet. It is soft on the inside and outside. Mine was received through Amazon's Prime program for my honest unbiased review. I always rate honestly, whether positive or negative. This is a navy-blue exterior, turquoise interior soft sleeve with a two-sided zipper (meaning it goes up one side and across the top).

My convertible tablet measures 7-1/2" x 10" external measurement. This sleeve measures 8-1/2 x 12" externally. Once you put the tablet in it there is only about 1 inch on the inside to insert any charging implements. My charger/cord did not fit.

If this had an outside envelope-type pocket with velcro or snap closure for the charging implements it would have received a 5-star rating from me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20