Profile for mzglorybe > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 478

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

mzglorybe RSS Feed (Southern CA USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Personal (Jack Reacher)
Personal (Jack Reacher)
by Lee Child
Price: $16.79

2.0 out of 5 stars "Personally...." lackluster, August 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Nothing really happens until the 16th chapter, page 87 ... unusual for a Jack Reacher novel. Lee Child likes to set the foundation in detail. I realize that it's necessary to a point, but this novel, unlike the others I've read, and I've read all the Reacher novels now, focuses primarily on strategies, hypothetical situations & scenarios, and way too much detail about the artillery and ammunition used or not used as in some cases. All the technical stuff such as velocity of bullets, ranges, angles, specifications, material used, etc., I mean pages of this type of stuff. “Personally,” this reader just wanted him to get on with the story. The knock-down drag out fist-fighting is much the same, blow by blow description of how it went down, to get the bad guy ... and when he finally gets the bad guy, which we all know he is going to do, it seems anti-climatic.

I've skimmed through this part of his novels in the past, but found myself tempted more often by this one. It pains me to give author Child a rating as low as a 2-star, since he puts so much into it that he no doubt has to research and we all know about his talent but “Personal” is my least-liked of any Reacher novel he has put out there.

Disclaimer: I was provided a complimentary pre-release ARC of this work by Amazon for my unbiased and true opinion and review on Amazon.com, of which any opinion I give for review always is the truth, IMHO.

Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation Beige 1.5
Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation Beige 1.5
Offered by edljoy_books
Price: $6.99
95 used & new from $4.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed this first time user, August 23, 2014
This is a nice big size, not small like the BMs and others sold in high end dept stores. The cap measures 2-1/2 inches across the top. That'll give you an idea of the size. I've been impressed as it's the first time I've tried Mary Kay's mineral foundation. The price is reasonable if you compare it to the high end brands and for the quantity.

The only problem I had was in choosing the color. I ordered it too dark at 1.5 beige, thinking that since I'm olive toned with a bit of summer tan, it would be just right. Next time, in winter, I will go lighter a notch to the 1.0 beige. It's hard to tell from the color samples online. I kept it and am using it mostly as a blush/bronzer and liking it a lot. I ordered the primer for it which another reviewer recommended, and it glides on like silk. Glad I bought that too. I love it and it makes your foundation blend better and stay on. Thumbs up, highly recommended.

Conair Supreme 2-In-1 Hot Air Styling Brush
Conair Supreme 2-In-1 Hot Air Styling Brush
Price: $14.74
26 used & new from $9.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs annual replacing... only lasts about a year, August 20, 2014
They seem to stop working right after the warranty is up at one year. That's why I deduct a star from the rating. I've bought several of them because I do like that I can shape my hair as I dry it. I've not found another I like better at close to this price, but I hate that they don't last. Something happens internally and they won't go on all of a sudden. Only once have I gotten lucky and have it go out just before the warranty so it was replaced at no cost to me. Otherwise, it is a great hair-dryer-shaper.

Kobi Electric K2L9 12-Watt (65-Watt) R30 LED 2700K Warm White Indoor Flood Light Bulb, Dimmable
Offered by WAD Enterprises, LLC
Price: $13.99
4 used & new from $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems much brighter than a 60 watt bulb, August 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Very bright, and though it is a dimmable bulb, we do not have it hooked up to a dimmer switch. We needed the light over our kitchen sink and prep area so we don't mind that it is brighter, we estimate it is closer to a 100 watt bulb. The good thing is the fit... it fits flush into the recessed lighting above in the ceiling, unlike many LED bulbs that don't fit well into fans or pretty light bars. This does look nice, just like all the others up in the ceiling, even when it's off.

Since it seems we are all being forced into using LED lights, at such a higher cost, let's hope they do last as long as they say they will. I will update this review if it does burn out.

Mary Kay Foundation Primer Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 15 1 fluid ounce
Mary Kay Foundation Primer Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 15 1 fluid ounce
Offered by Kaitlyn s warehouse
Price: $14.65
49 used & new from $3.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlike anything I've ever used, it makes a difference, August 19, 2014
Feels like satin on your skin, very light. It just glides lightly over your skin. I like using an under-make-up moisturizer with sunscreen. This has sunscreen without a heavy feel to it at all. Your foundation will look clearer, more natural and last longer. I've never used it before but am glad I paid attention to a reviewer that recommended it. You don't need to use much either. Try it next time you order Mary Kay's mineral powder foundation.

Tide Pods HE Laundry Detergent, Free & Gentle, 35 Count
Tide Pods HE Laundry Detergent, Free & Gentle, 35 Count
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up!, August 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Factor in shipping, it's about 35 cents a load for a great product.You can get by for less if you don't have sensitivities to laundry products, but if you do, it is a small price to pay to eliminate this side effect from what you presently use. Recommended for those who need it, otherwise it may be pricey for most.

Fosmon HYBO-SK Series PC + TPU Hybrid Kickstand Case for HTC One (M7) - Purple
Fosmon HYBO-SK Series PC + TPU Hybrid Kickstand Case for HTC One (M7) - Purple
Offered by SF Planet
Price: $1.45
2 used & new from $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case for the money, August 15, 2014
I'm really enjoying this case. It is light, barely adds any thickness to the phone. It has these little ridges on the side, just a few, but enough to give you a good grip when you're using it. I dropped it once on ceramic tile, where everything breaks, and no damage was done, to either the case or phone. The color I got is purple with clear, but it is just right, not glaring purple, a subtle, classy look. Lets the beauty of the phone shine through the clear part. All the ports are open and easy to use. I rarely use the stand, since I usually view video on my tablet, but it's nice to have it when I need it.

It arrived quickly (within a couple of days) and in good condition. The price was right. Wish I had bought this first. My first $15 case only lasted 6 months. If this one makes it that long for a fraction of that price, I'll be doing the happy dance. Recommended for the HTC-One M7

Term Limits
Term Limits
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $8.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and compelling, but disturbing ..., August 15, 2014
This review is from: Term Limits (Kindle Edition)
Some things we're better off not knowing... or are we? This was written in 1997 when the national debt was just over $5 Trillion and American citizens were in an uproar over nothing being done by our elected officials about it. Now, in 2014, when that figure has tripled to over $17 TRILLION, and we see no end in sight to the spiral, it blows the mind and one wonders if desperate measures are the answer, and if so, which ones? This is a fiction novel, of course, but it open your eyes to a lot of factual information about government policies, agencies, and historical data.

Expertly crafted by Vince Flynn, I had a hard time putting it down. He makes the unbelievable seem believable, and keeps us riveted. This is my 3rd novel of his. As I began the 2nd one, Kill Shot, a Mitch Rapp novel, he addresses his readers with the announcement of his prostate cancer diagnosis. When I went online to look for how many novels were in the Rapp series I discovered that author Flynn lost his life last year, at only 47 to this cancer. I felt a personal loss, after just discovering him this month, and losing him in the same month... such a talent, taken so young. My heart just goes out to his loved ones. Thankfully there are 13 books in the Rapp series.

This is not a Mitch Rapp novel, but I'd recommend reading this first, before the Rapp series, as you get acquainted with the people who hire and train him in American Assassin. I'm still reeling from the realistic feel to this novel about the trouble we're in as a country. Not a feel-good read, but everybody should read it, regardless of your political partisan preferences.

American Assassin
American Assassin
by Vince Flynn
40 used & new from $1.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy to have discovered Flynn, August 7, 2014
This review is from: American Assassin (Paperback)
Read this one first. It gives us the background of how Mitch Rapp was inducted into this lifestyle and sets the foundation for the other books in the series. Both my husband and I are enjoying the series and a new "hero" to get us by in between new releases of Child's Jack Reacher, and Baldacci's Will Robie series.

Mitch Rapp is a likable, honest, true blue American with a big grudge against terrorists like those who took the life of his girlfriend and fellow Syracuse classmates in the Pan Am Lockerbie tragedy of the 80's. Definitely recommended for those who like political espionage thrillers.

update: 8/14 found out that this author passed away in June 2013 at too young an age :( Just when we discovered him, we lost him, but he has over a dozen Rapp books in the series completed.

Don't Let Me Go: A Novel (Random House Reader's Circle)
Don't Let Me Go: A Novel (Random House Reader's Circle)
by Susan Lewis
Price: $11.98
73 used & new from $2.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Draws you right in, August 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This kept my attention from the onset, although it could have been shaved by 100 pages and still been as effective. The writing was good, albeit a bit repetitive in the emotional upheaval the main character experiences. Charlotte tries our patience at times, but as you learn her background, you can understand why. We all know people with chips on their shoulders, that doesn't mean we can't like them.

The locale is New Zealand (now I want to go there). Charlotte, a social worker by profession has taken a 3-year-old abused, practically mute child, to live there with Charlotte's family. The child is thriving, coming out of her shell and enjoying a new family, friends, the culture and serenity of the area, but she is there illegally and Chloe is her "new" name. Their time together has blossomed to the point that Chloe calls Charlotte "Mummy" never having bonded to her own mentally unstable (now deceased) mother, and Charlotte's whole focus is now on Chloe. She wants nothing more than to give Chloe stability and happiness. The opportunity arose when Chloe witnesses the murder of her biological mother and the arrest of her father. Charlotte had been the social worker assigned to Chloe's case of suspected sexual abuse, and rescues her the very night of the murder. Charlotte chose not to risk further trauma to the child by the unpredictability and often unreliable system of London's child protective services, and takes matters into her own hands. What follows is the inevitability of those actions.

I found this writing to be well constructed, believable and thought-consuming. I didn't feel it necessary to read the prior novel (this is a sequel) as there is enough reference here from that to what is relevant for this novel. The New Zealand locale, and the island culture was well depicted and inviting. The abuse of the child was handled in a delicate manner, with no overly graphic sexual scenes, but enough so we get the point of what poor Chloe went through at the hands of her own father, and why she was afraid to be around men in general. Her story tugs at the heartstrings. There are multiple back-stories going on here as well... Charlotte's with her own mother, with her step-family, and with the lawyer who defended her and made a good case for Charlotte's actions. There is even some romance thrown in. The characters are well developed and likable, I enjoyed getting acquainted with every one of them. Apparently, this author favors writing about children in peril, not one of my favorite venues, but she definitely has caught my interest as a writer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20