ARRAY(0xa1329abc)

Customer Reviews: 1466

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

The Kindle Book Review RSS Feed (Indianapolis, IN)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Upon Your Return
Upon Your Return
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fara has a Mind of her Own, April 19, 2014
This review is from: Upon Your Return (Kindle Edition)
Fara’s Bellemont’s parents die when she is a child and her uncle becomes her guardian. After school at Cluny Abbey, she is of age to marry. Her uncle arranges a marriage, announcing it to the public ─ and to her ─ at a dinner party. When her fiancé, whom she has just met, asks if she loves him, she of course must say no. He asks her to meet him near the dock late one night. When she arrives she is attacked by two men, presumably sent by her fiancé in an effort to fabricate a reason to break their engagement. She is rescued by Grant Hill. Grant is a sea captain, and he takes her aboard his ship, notifies her uncle, and has his doctor see to her injuries. Fara and Grant fall in love, but a sea captain is not a proper husband for someone of Fara’s status, so her uncle will not consider him as a potential husband for her.

While it tells the story of Fara’s and Grant’s relationship, the book is much more than a simple love story. It is a story of the place of women, particularly upper class women, in France in the early nineteenth century. It also is a story of one woman’s response to her lot in life.
Fara’s life is controlled by her uncle until she marries and will be controlled by her husband afterwards. Fara, however, has a mind of her own and chafes under the restrictions imposed on her. People marry for power, position, and money. Fara, however, wants to marry only for love.

I fell in love with Fara from the first page. I found Grant to be infuriating. Fara did, too. How can a man not know his own mind? How can he not say what he feels?

The author does an excellent job, weaving the history of France and the social customs of the day into the account of Fara’s love for Grant and his for her. Readers who enjoy a Victorian romance will love this book.

David Burnett for The Kindle Book Review
I received a copy of the book in exchange for a fair and unbiased review.

Brain: The Man Who Wrote the Book That Changed the World
Brain: The Man Who Wrote the Book That Changed the World

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant satire, April 19, 2014
Reviewed by Angelica Bentley (for The Kindle Book Review).
An unusual, compelling, satirical look at the dysfunctional world of writing and publishing. The madness in this book is so real and so possible, it is chilling in its accuracy. I found myself at times nodding in complete agreement, and at others laughing to the point of tears. In effortlessly engaging prose, Dermot Davis delivers a non-judgemental, impassioned discourse, condensing the human condition down to the twin universal truths: we go through life not knowing who we really are; and we are all terribly alone.

The story is an all-too-commonplace contemporary tale of unrewarded talent. Ever since his graduation, when he triumphantly won a minor literary award, Daniel Waterstone has pursued his self-appointed destiny of joining the great classic novelists by penning a definitive work which will herald a new renaissance in American literature. Ten years on, his life is narrow and Spartan, he has no friends, practically no family (his mother, an emotionally cold woman, lives far away) and his only interactions are with his greedy literary agent and a sweet and wise eighty-three year old librarian. Women are a mystery to Daniel and one for which he seems to have no time or inclination. Until he meets Clare, a beautiful musician, but Daniel's initial enthusiasm is sadly dampened when she turns out to be utterly bonkers.

Daniel has published two novels, both well received by critics, but ignored by the buying public. When his agent drops the bombshell that his publishers have rejected his latest masterpiece and want their advance back, Daniel hits rock bottom. In a desperate mental state, literally starving and unable to pay for his rent or utilities, he starts writing a bitter, over-the-top satire, lampooning the latest best-selling self-help guides. What happens next is a whirlwind of craziness and greed-fuelled nonsense which, eerily, mimics real life.

Daniel is a quirky, improbable hero. At first, there is nothing about him to like; he is vain, self-centred and arrogant, condescendingly believing himself superior to the masses. But, as the story unfolds, and Daniel's life quietly unravels, we discover a core of understated decency and uncomplaining honesty that endears him to us and makes us root for him. The supporting characters are economically but effectively portrayed. There are some cartoonish villains and a couple of likeable, supportive souls, but Daniel carries the whole book on his resigned shoulders. His moral dilemma is clearly defined, and I enjoyed the scathing, clear-sighted depiction of the routine exploitation of talent by certain members of the publishing industry. The narrative is well paced, always lively but gathering speed and momentum in concert with the increasingly surreal craziness of the developments. A clever, often hilarious, and very honest book that should appeal to a large segment of the reading public, and one that I would be happy to read again.

The Mysterious Greenfield Woods: A nerve racking thriller and haunting love story
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Sy-Fy Thriller, April 18, 2014
The Mysterious Greenfield Woods is a Sy-Fy love story, crime drama thriller filled with multiple intersecting storylines. The main characters are Sam and Sophia. As an adolescent, Sam is convicted of murder. Now twenty five and prison behind him, he still can't escape the memories of his traumatic childhood. Thinking suicide is his only option for peace, Sam tries to hang himself. While in the process he sees, through the window, a beautiful girl dancing in the rain. His soul is instantly filled with hope. He soon meets Sophia and its love at first sight for Sam. As Sam gets to know Sophia he realizes she has some major issues of her own.
This complicated story features witches, black magic, dark world mythological creatures, magicians, voodoo, outrageous violence, torture and mind writers. Mind writers are people that have the ability to manipulate your mind. They can add, subtract or alter any existing memories. As the story deepens, Sam's mind drifts in and out of reality. It happens so often, I don't think he can tell the difference between good and evil anymore.
I have a mild soul and I try my best to avoid reading or watching anything with extreme violence or torture in it. Therefore, I struggled throughout many pages in this book due to its graphic nature. With that being said, my recommendation is, if you like Stephen King books and Quentin Tarantino movies, you will enjoy reading this book.
Stephanie Lasley, from The Kindle Book Review

Gabby, Angel of God: Guardian and Messenger: Keeper of Love, Joy, Peace, Kindness and Faith ( A Supernatural Romance Thriller )
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong fundamental Christian story of a man and an Angle who helps him to heal., April 18, 2014
Initially I thought this novel would be a paranormal romance but found that to be the incorrect genre in my opinion. This novel is a well crafted look at a man's journey through loss and sorrow and an Angle who helps him heal.

I found this novel entertaining, funny and thoughtful. Gabby is an original creation and the novel is a poignant portrayal of Bo's journey. The theme throughout the prose is very relevant today, offering readers a different perspective on coping with loss and the confusion which follows. I would recomend the novel to anyone... young especially, who have or are suffering.
** Note** The author artfully deals with a number of dark and violent themes as his portrayals inform but do not delve into or cross the line into graphic territory.**

Greg Sandora has done a tremendous job allowing Gabby to be a curious and gregarious Angle of God. His portrayal of Gabby as fanciful, positive and loving is the key to the novels success. I felt her trying to help Bo understand his place and his purpose without the having to wade through heavy drama that bogs down so many fanciful stories.

I must be honest and include that I also felt there was more depth that had just not been added yet. I kept feeling the author wanted to say more but didn't. I believe the author did not explore several facets of the story fully. I felt I was a party to the creating of something much more.. and I felt the ending was rushed... and really not the outcome expected from the tone set throughout the book. I would rate this novel a 3.5 but feel it deserves the bump up to 4 for the authors adept way of weaving dark and gritty subject matter into the story without taking away from the joy.

MaryAnn Breedlove (The Kindle Book Review).
"The Kindle Book Review received a free copy of this book for an independent, fair, and honest review. We are not associated with the author or Amazon."

Destruction: The December People, Book One
Destruction: The December People, Book One
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this novel immensely however I am sure my reaction to the story is what the author intended., April 16, 2014
The heart of the novel deals with a family, a typical family with typical teenaged angst and the day to day of living life. The reader has the sense from the beginning, all of the members of the family are normal good hearted people.. However the secret the father has kept for 12 years peeks it's head out throwing all involved into chaos. And so beings a difficult journey down a road each person must travers (many times feeling very alone) to understanding.

The world the author creates with her depiction of dark wizards and unknown (untapped) power in this drama is equivalent to two sides of the moon.. The light half and the emerging dark half.
Ms. Bayliss uses the age old good vs. evil battle in a very unique and entertaining way. The prose allows the reader to see each family member struggle with the discovery and power of the darkness deep within all of us. The struggle is not pretty and the author has no trouble allowing the reader to see the blackness in each personality; she illuminates the fields where skirmishes are fought; blackness sometimes wins the battle.. but leaves you wondering which will win the war.

Although this novel deals with dark issues of abuse and neglect of young children it does not do so in a graphic or offending manner. Ms. Bayliss gives voice to this abhorrent nature of child abuse without sickening a reader with too much detail.

I personally believe Ms. Bayliss intended her audience to be into deep, dark, even a bit taboo fantasy genre. I, on the other hand, found this novel funny, quite entertaining, and dramatic. I love the unique fresh approach the author used and I would recommend this novel... (and the future books in this series) not as a dark read but as a story of becoming.. with love, humor and understanding.

MaryAnn Breedlove (The Kindle Book Review).

“The Kindle Book Review received a free copy of this book for an independent, fair, and honest review. We are not associated with the author or Amazon.”

His Bahamas Affair (The Albury Affairs)
His Bahamas Affair (The Albury Affairs)
Price: $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Affairs of the Heart, April 15, 2014
My overall impression of this book is that it had a good plot that kept me interested in wanted to know what happened next. I most enjoyed the fact that the author was able to bring two unlikely characters together while giving them a twist that was unexpected. The book wasn’t sickly sweet, but it had moments where Reno was the epitome of what a romance novel should revolve around. I liked that in spite of her struggles and what she had been through Lori was able to be everything Reno needed and more, even when he was too stubborn to realize it. Christina Ow also did an mazing job on the erotic scenes (although I expected there to be more).

What I didn’t like about the book is something that I’m struggling to put into words. This was book two of a series and although it read like a stand alone, I found myself wanting to go back and read book one. I felt like I was missing some essential character development. The many references to Reno’s ex-wife left me wanting a lot more background on her. While I liked that Lori was able to put her issues aside, it made t seem unrealistic that she would actually do as much as she did for Reno when he basically abandoned her. What I really didn't like was Lori's way of testing to see if she had been raped; that made absolutely no sense to me and again it seemed unrealistic.

While this book didn’t have me on the edge of my seat, I think I would still recommend it to a few people.

Beginning Time
Beginning Time
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A great beginning!, April 14, 2014
This review is from: Beginning Time (Kindle Edition)
This book starts off slightly confusing, but the author takes you into a world you never knew existed. Cleverly written, you are taking a journey of discovery with the characters as they themselves are still trying to figure things out. Fiona Jensen’s character is as confused as the reader to begin with, but comes out with a backbone and a fight that every heroine should have! This first book of the series unravels into a riveting tale of time-travel, and although all the answers are not given, it gives you just enough information to leave you gripping to the book and hoping the author writes the second instalment pretty fast!

All in all a very good read.

Rebecca Chessman from The Kindle Book Review

The Sheriff of Nowhere
The Sheriff of Nowhere
Price: $2.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Humorous look at our deepest emotions, April 12, 2014
Reviewed by Angelica Bentley (for The Kindle Book Review).

Henry Radcliff, our hapless hero, is on the verge of turning 40 and every nerve in his body screams blue murder at the prospect of reaching this milestone which he sees as a cresting of the hill with nothing to look forward to but a sad, inevitable decline. Henry's life is currently exciting but unsettled. He has just married Steph, a gorgeous, smart, successful corporate lawyer, and her recent big promotion has meant a move to New York. As the global credit crisis has affected his own career, the decision to uproot is an easy one. Steph's friends are all getting pregnant, and she, too, wants to make a start on her dream of having three children, but Henry is not so sure, in fact, he is terrified. He must deal with his deep misgivings about becoming a father and confront the demons of his childhood.

The story flows easily and is told through entries in Henry's diary. We get to follow him, Steph and their small circle of family and friends on an almost daily basis. The author does a very good job of maintaining the narrator's point of view consistent and plausible, while giving insights into the thinking and feelings of the people in his life.

The madcap, irreverent humour is enjoyable, and there are many moments of high comedy but sometimes the effort showed and I felt the author was trying a bit too hard to be funny all the time, which is a nearly impossible task when writing a book. In fact, I found the more serious, more heart-felt passages very effective. They held my interest and connected with my emotions. The jokes work best when they are counterpoints to the slightly absurd reality that we all struggle with.

I admired the honesty that comes through the pages, even when admitting one's innermost thoughts makes us look flawed and less than "good". The lesson here is that life is never fair and we have to live with that. One snippet of philosophic acceptance comes via one of the older characters who often states that, "We cannot change what happened, only what happens" giving power back to the individual, just at the point where we feel victims of circumstances.

Characterization is excellent. The main protagonists are sometimes silly and annoying, just like real people, but their hearts are in the right place and I sympathized with them most of the time. The complexities of family relationships are explored with honesty and a refreshing lack of moralizing. Love is the motivator and the common thread that weaves through the whole narrative, even when it turns into a negative emotion, as in "not enough love".

Henry Radcliff has undeniable comedic talent. He sees the ridiculous and the ludicrous in everyday life and takes pleasure in peeling back the layers of pretension like onion skins, but that dangerous exercise is well known for producing tears and Henry's soul weeps as often as not. The family tragedy that wrecked his childhood reaches out into his adult life and threatens to ruin his marriage and everything else. Henry is well aware of the problem but seems unable to find a solution. Aside from the universal truths, this story should appeal to any man who is ambivalent about procreating, or just anyone who has been baffled by the inner workings of the female mind.

Torque
Torque

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced action!, April 9, 2014
This review is from: Torque (Kindle Edition)
A debut novel and a good read. It is an action packed, fast paced thriller with new street drugs, dangerous situations and strange deaths. There are many twists and turns and a good plot. Glen Muller can really tell a story, creates good descriptions and writes gritty dialogue.

The characters are well drawn and easy to get to know, I hope to see them turn up again in future stories as there are a few loose ends that would make a good series. Fenn was my favorite, he is the main character, and is very likeable and grows as the story evolves.

It is edgy and tense, with a good sense of time and place. The tension is built up throughout the novel. The cover also intrigued me and would make me pick it up from a bookshelf.

A very good read!

Barbara Goldie, from the Kindle Book Review
The Kindle Book review received a free copy of this book for an independent, fair and honest review. We are not associated with the author or Amazon.

EMBRYO 3: RANEY & LEVINE
EMBRYO 3: RANEY & LEVINE
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary and chilling!, April 9, 2014
I was totally drawn into this novel from page one. I found it scary and chilling with a gripping storyline and non-stop action. It goes at a breakneck pace with a few lulls here and there to let the reader pause for breath.

Jill, David and Jesse are well drawn characters that I felt grew as the novel progresses, as this is the first novel I have read in the series, I was happy that it read well as a stand alone novel. That said, I think that if I had read the other two novels in the series first I would have had extra background knowledge of the characters, I shall read them both before the next one is published.

J A Schneider knows how to tell a good story with vivid descriptions and believable dialogue. Extensive medical knowledge is evident, and with the many twists and turns it is a well written mystery.

A recommended read for those who like anything that is medical, thrilling and full of suspense.

Barbara Goldie, from the Kindle Book Review