Profile for The Kindle Book Review > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1763

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

The Kindle Book Review RSS Feed (Indianapolis, IN)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Two Days Different
Two Days Different
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Annette and Colin are her two best friends but Ann has a habit of speaking for ..., March 3, 2015
Jaymee is a young girl who has had a rough start to life thanks to an alcoholic mother. Being with her Grandmother changes her in many ways but she remains shy and withdrawn.
Annette and Colin are her two best friends but Ann has a habit of speaking for her. A habit Jake is determined to change after meeting Jaymee in a bar one night.
Jaymee and Jake have a powerful connection and, although she has been dating Colin for the best part of two years, they are drawn together.
Then, tragedy strikes, Jaymee runs and it is years later before they are again thrown together.
Will Jake and Jaymee connect? Will their love for each other reignite?
This is a great book with a couple of steamy, but appropriate sex scenes.
I would definitely recommend it.

Stranger Child
Stranger Child
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Rachel Abbott pulls it out of the bag yet again with this first class psychological thriller!, March 2, 2015
This review is from: Stranger Child (Kindle Edition)
Another tough case for DCI Tom Douglas and his team!

DCI Tom Douglas and his gutsy partner Becky are on a roller coaster of a ride following the dark underworld of a sinister group of child grooming criminals. The group leader is of unknown identity and the danger level is high in this convoluted psychological thriller when Emma, an old flame of Tom’s late brother, pleads for his help to find her son and save her family from harm before it’s too late. Will history repeat itself when during David’s second marriage to Emma and what secrets is he holding about the tragedy surrounding the mysterious death of his first wife and disappearance of his first child? Who can you trust and is anyone telling the truth?

In this intriguing novel we see DCI Douglas reprising his role once again as he heads out on another case, but don’t worry if this is your first outing as you will easily be able to pick up the threads of any past goings-on and relationships. I am a true fan of Tom and his crack team; it’s not often an author is able to improve upon their last publication but Rachel Abbott gets better and better with each book and is a true slave to her craft with the type of meticulous attention to detail that will have you sitting on the edge of your seat pondering on the clues and trying to work out where the plot is heading to next.

It’s a definite page turner and the short chapters that chop between police, villain, manipulated teenager and an undercover operation add further momentum to the already fast pace of this exceptional story. As events unfold you are left wondering if it is fact or fiction: what would you do if you were in the same situation? You will instantly be immersed into the turmoil of the characters and able to visualise the scenes playing out in your head as if you were watching them on a favourite TV program. For days after I had finished the book, I was still pondering over certain facts in my head, which for me, is a true sign of a great piece of writing and I book I would therefore not hesitate to recommend!

Andria Saxelby for the Kindle Book Review

*The KBR received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review*

2147: (Book 1: Revelations)
2147: (Book 1: Revelations)

4.0 out of 5 stars A “Second Contact” Political Maelstrom, March 2, 2015
Joe Dacy II (The Kindle Book Review)

It’s been 200 years since Roswell and the Earth is a vastly different place. Countries have been subsumed into six continental regions, each completing for power and dwindling resources for 15 billion people. Then a scientist in the lesser of the G6 regions invents a faster-than-light drive. And all hell breaks loose.

The Roswell aliens, the reptilian Azranaal, have an agenda of their own. As the new FTL drive upsets the balance of power, they come out of hiding to put that mysterious plan into effect.

I very much like the storyline, mostly because the aliens aren’t the implacable, all-powerful beings one usually sees in stories like this. And the human are, well, human, with all that implies.

The book suffers a bit from some formatting and copyediting issues and the dialogue is often pedantic but aside from that it’s a worthy read.

Note: The Kindle Book Review received a free copy of this book for an independent, fair, and honest review. We are not associated with the author or Amazon.

Treasure of Darkness: a romantic thriller (Palmyrton Estate Sale Mystery Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Treasure of a Book, March 1, 2015
I haven't read anything by S. W. Hubbard before but I must say "Treasure of Darkness" is certainly welcome to start a new trend for me. I was very tired when I started it and finally had to force myself to put it down. It was 3:00am.

If anyone needs a lesson in how to bring characters to live, how to make every single one believable and lovable, contact Hubbard. Harold, the obsessive compulsive made me want to hug him. Sean Coughlin, the requisite detective, was incredibly patient with his lady love. Ty was so well done you could visualize him. Jill draws you in with her willingness to go an extra mile for the needy. Her main character, Audrey, was like the consummate ring leader. She was full of angst, fear and unwillingness to take one step forward.

Take these stunningly well done characters and wrap them around a brilliant, seldom done story line and you have a great book.

Carol Piner
Kindle Book Review

The KBR does not receive payment for our reviews, nor do we review print. We receive digital copies in exchange for a fair and honest review. If a reviewer can’t get into your work, believes the book needs work, and/or is not eligible for a 3-star rating or higher, he or she is not required to write a review. *** We do not review Erotica.

Dogs Don't Look Both Ways: A Primer on Unintended Consequences
Dogs Don't Look Both Ways: A Primer on Unintended Consequences

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes life happens, March 1, 2015
Dogs Don't Look Both Ways
By Jane Hanser
4.5 out of 5 Stars

I have met a lot of dogs during my journey here on earth. Short, fat dogs. Tall, fat dogs. Snappy dogs, yippy dogs, and the kind with the deep-throated “WOOF.” I like dogs. I don't mind dogs. I've only ever loved one or two, but the rest are okay and I guess they feel the same way about me. I believe dogs and I have an understanding which says, “You will not lick my face and call it a kiss,” to which the dog replies, “As if!”

I have never, however, come to know a dog as deeply and intimately as I know Joey. I will not lie: Hanser was waging an uphill battle, trying to tell the story from the dog's point of view. The book could have gone kitschy real fast, but Hanser pulled it out of “golly gee whillakers” cuteness-overload. Correction: Hanser let Joey pull it out.

Joey does not speak from the voice of the author. Joey speaks Dog, as in “People were looking at me, calling, “Joey.” They were looking at me and saying, “Joey, come” and “Joey, sit” and “Good boy, Joey!” So Joey I suddenly was.” Is this the best example of Joey's voice? No. The book is full of good examples and better examples and you will just have to read it. I can't sit here and quote all the good parts, otherwise I would be quoting 80% of Joey's story.

Dogs Don't Look Both Ways is a quick read. Is it a MUST Read? I'll let you be the judge. Joey would like that.

This reviewer received a free copy of the book through the Kindle Book Review, in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Master of the Scam
Master of the Scam

3.0 out of 5 stars The Sting, March 1, 2015
Jack Wagner was struck by a truck while crossing the street in lower Manhattan, and he sues the trucking company for damages. He knows that the light was green when he stepped into the street, but the trucking company presents witnesses, paid witnesses, he is certain, to say he was at fault. After losing the case and being unable to find work – his injured back makes it impossible for him to continue as a seaman – Jack decides to make the insurance companies pay. He becomes expert at staging fake accidents, followed by lawsuits. He is meticulous in his work, going to exceptional lengths to make the scams believable, and to avoid detection. He becomes a wealthy man.

An investigator for one company, however, notices a pattern in some of the claims that are submitted. He vows to take Jack down.

The story is entertaining and captures the reader’s attention. Unfortunately, it is all too realistic and the reader might look twice at the person standing beside the street the next time he turns a corner!

I do wish that the author had focused solely on the scams. Unfortunately, he includes material about the lives of several other, in some cases peripheral, characters and traces Jack’s service during the Second World War. Nevertheless, the book is an enjoyable read.

David Burnett for the Kindle Book Review
I received a copy of the book in exchange for a fair and unbiased review.

How to Make Boys Cry with Lavenders
How to Make Boys Cry with Lavenders
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Deep Yet Mind-boggling, March 1, 2015
Curren Becker is a complicated, broken man. In business he is successful, but ruthless; in his personal life he is a cold and unloving person.
The story shows glimpses of Curren's lonely, sad childhood; giving the reader the understanding that's needed to accept his attitude toward life. It's a known fact that traumatic childhood experiences affect behaviors and personalities in adulthood. With that being said, Curren does develop a "semi" love interest though she has her own issues to deal with. Will they be able to soothe each other's pain?
The only time Curren seems truly content is when he breathes the scent of a lavender plant.
Throughout the trials and tribulations within the pages of this book, Curren's life comes full circle. Will he be able to except the explanation given for his agonizing youth that has pained him so?
Author Herika L.M. writes of life's heartaches, devastation's and triumphs, all the while giving us hope for Curren's future.
Stephanie Lasley, from The Kindle Book Review

Unforeseen (Alessandra Powell Book 1)
Unforeseen (Alessandra Powell Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Hooked!, March 1, 2015
Alessandra Powell has always believed in the old adage, "everything happens for a reason."
Every obstacle Alessandra has had to face, she has been able to turn into a positive....little does she know, her biggest challenge is yet to come.
Alessandra has always known she was dumped, as an infant, on her Grandmother's doorstep by her unloving mother, whom has since passed away. She also knows her father is Alessandro Powell, the current Governor of Oregon and she is aware he has no knowledge of her birth. She has never tried to contact him because she feels her Grandmother gives her everything she needs. Her Grandmother has always shown Alessandra unconditional love throughout her life. She raised her to be strong and confident and to always believe in herself. Now sixteen, Alessandra's life is filled with friends, happiness and love....she is truly blessed.
Soon a deep tragedy befalls Alessandra; she feels pain and depression like she has never felt before. Her life is turned upside down, she is completely lost.
When her father becomes her guardian she is faced with a life that is so foreign to her. She will again experience more pain and heartache but it will be of a whole different nature. What will become of this beautiful girl?
I found myself completely lost with this story. Following Alessandra through her happiness and heartbreaks left me feeling extremely protective of her. This book really had my heart racing at times; I'm hooked..... I can't wait for the next book in this trilogy to be published.
5 Stars!
Stephanie Lasley, from The Kindle Book Review

My Life as a Sperm: One Man's Quest to Save the World
My Life as a Sperm: One Man's Quest to Save the World
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Hold on, people! Buddy's Gonna Change the World., February 28, 2015
William Darrah Whitaker threw out a line and caught an enormous silly plot to write a book about. In My Life as a Sperm, Buddy Price dies, meets God and is charged with changing the world. He says he came back as a sperm and that was the last I heard of that line.

Whitaker has presented us with a book that encompasses wit that is nonetheless thought-provoking. After being chosen to open the Jeremiah Box, which supposedly will change the world, he encounters one mystery after another. The bottom line is Buddy is a nice guy, but rather self-absorbed. After a few trips to God, he still doesn't seem to get it.

I liked Whitaker's book and enjoyed the lightheartedness of it. I do think he is going to be under fire from the more biblical establishment who do not take God and heaven with such levity.

Carol Piner
Kindle Book Review

Kindle Book Review has received a free copy of this book in exchange for a free and honest review. KBR does not have a relationship with the author or Amazon. We do not review Erotica

Somaxx
Somaxx

4.0 out of 5 stars A Thoughtful “Rip Van Winkle” Tale, February 28, 2015
This review is from: Somaxx (Kindle Edition)
Joe Dacy II (The Kindle Book Review)

Everyone’s probably thought about what it would be like to just skip 30 years to see what the future holds. Would we have solved any of our problems or would new concerns bedevil us? What new and fascinating technologies might we have developed?

In addition to an interesting storyline the book delves into these questions, outlining (sometimes didactically and with footnotes) how the issues of 2015 are dealt with in 2045.

We already know that new technologies often create new problems while solving others. We also know, as the author is wont to point out, that those same technologies can either be used for good or for ill. His characters struggle with these truths. Happily, the science within is grounded in our present; the political, social and economic prognostications… well … I’ll leave that judgment to the reader.

Give this novella a try if you like reads that challenge and inform.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20