Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Profile for The Kindle Book Review > Reviews

Browse

The Kindle Book ...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 2040

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

The Kindle Book Review RSS Feed (Indianapolis, IN)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Char
Char

4.0 out of 5 stars A Labyrinthine SciFi Murder Mystery, February 9, 2016
This review is from: Char (Kindle Edition)
A friendly paintball game between four men on an isolated Wisconsin farm turns deadly with the appearance of a strange young woman with a wolf tattoo on her chest. She's scared, confused -- and incredibly dangerous.

It's the mystery that draws the reader through the story. The multiple characters are well-drawn, and the author juggles their backgrounds and motivations with a deft hand. As with most mysteries, the story has a lot of moving parts. In particular, I liked the female sheriff who tries to solve a puzzle muddled by baffling circumstances.

Personally, I had bit of a struggle with the "suspension of disbelief" required to accept the novel's overall premise, but that quibble got thumped as the story progressed.

Recommended for readers who like a tight, can't-put-it-down whodunit.

--- Joe Dacy II (Author or Esquelle and the Tesla Protocol)

Note: The Kindle Book Review received a free copy of this book for an independent, fair, and honest review. We are not associated with the author or Amazon.

Common Ground: Chasing Demons
Common Ground: Chasing Demons
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An Earthy & Unexpected story about Grief and the desire for Closure & Justice, February 7, 2016

I enjoyed reading this book. It is well written with both an unusual story line and unusual main character.

The book is about grief and the desperate need for closure and justice when the ones we love are suddenly taken from us.

The story opens with Leon in the depths of early grief, unable and unwilling to function properly. A concerned friend tries to help and this results in Leon running away in an attempt to avoid facing life. The interesting part about Leon is not only does he try to shut himself off from the world but also the reader. Leon is the storyteller but you get to mainly know him through his observations and actions. Normally it would irritate me that you don’t really get inside his head but that appears to be the point. Once he starts thinking about himself and his situation he opens up fresh wounds and he mentally shuts off.

It’s while Leon is trying to figure out how to function again, that Thea is suddenly thrust into his life and she is battling with her own fears, paranoia and grief. It’s not what Leon needs but he lets her in because he wants the distraction. We don’t really get to know Thea that well. She’s such a sad and pathetic individual that it’s easy to see why life just chews her up and spits her out.

There are some other interesting characters sprinkled throughout the novel. We get hints of interesting stories attached to them but the author leaves us hanging.

The author doesn’t advise the country in which the story takes place but the language, the landscape descriptions and colloquialisms lend themselves strongly to a small New Zealand town. Leon’s moroseness and apathy are also so typical of a Kiwi / Aussie male who’s experiencing a rough patch in life.

This isn’t a happy or happy-ever-after story. It’s much more realistic than that. Some good things happen, some bad things happen and life doesn’t always go according to plan. We don’t get to see Leon end his grief journey but we do get to see him find some closure.

My only real complaints are – the book needs to be re-edited to correct a few spelling/word errors, the author needs to decide on a country of setting and not throw in the odd word or colloquialism that doesn’t match the rest of the language, the character of Thea could have been developed a little further to find out what makes her tick. Maybe a few in depth conversations between her and Leon would have helped?

Four Ways to Pharaoh Khufu
Four Ways to Pharaoh Khufu
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A Travel and History Guide with an Action, Mystery Novel woven into it, February 5, 2016
(I received a free copy of this book through The Kindle Book Review for an independent, fair, and honest review.)

I think this book will be enjoyed by readers who love learning lots of facts and who are fascinated by the Pyramids of Cairo. It is a heavily researched book and the reader needs to prepared for a lot of historical information as well as mathematical calculations about the building of the Great Pyramid.

The plot of the book is a good one and the story moves at a good pace. The characters are described well and there is enough depth to them to be able to form a good mental picture. Different chapters are dedicated to different characters and most of the time it’s easy to mentally switch between them.

The characters travel to different locations during the story and the author sets the scene well. I enjoyed the descriptions of the sights, sounds and smells of the different places and felt these added to making the scenes come alive.

Although this book is classed as an action, adventure novel, I would actually class it as an educational text and travel guide with an action, mystery story woven through it. I definitely think the author has got some talent as far as writing goes but perhaps he should decide whether he is writing a novel or a work of non-fiction. It’s like he wanted to write 3 books but decided to put them into one. The author frequently stops the story suddenly to write about the history of a city, building, structure, event, etc. The characters can’t go anywhere without the author interjecting as a tour guide, giving the reader a full historical background on where they are.

Overall I think the author did a good job but two things really confused me about this novel. Why were the 2 main characters so blasé and at times completely oblivious to their being tracked all the time? The author made them seem both incredibly smart and incredibly stupid.

And why did the various characters randomly have thoughts or memories that had no relevance to the story e.g. the history of rocky road ice cream and information about the 9-11 attacks. Did I miss something or was the author just trying to educate me about random stuff?

(Kiwi Lisa, from The Kindle Book Review. KBR is not associated with the author or Amazon.)

Blue Flamingo: A  Novella
Blue Flamingo: A Novella

3.0 out of 5 stars A Quick, Easy Read about a Gen-Y Drifter, February 2, 2016
I received a free copy of this book through The Kindle Book Review for an independent, fair, and honest review. (Kiwi Lisa)

Overall, this is a quick, easy to read book. My honest opinion is the book is really written for young adults who will be able to identify with the main character Dylan.

Dylan is in his early 20’s and the author has done a good job of capturing the arrogance and self-centred attitude of a young person. I found him to be quite an unlikable person but I think that is because I'm old enough to be his mother and he typifies the Gen-Y stereotype with his “it’s all about me” and “I don’t know what to do with my life” attitude.

Dylan’s character drifts along slowly and a little aimlessly and resembled some real life Gen-Y'ers I have met. The point of Dylan’s journey was supposed to be to find his birth mother but while he started enthusiastically he seemed to quickly lose interest when he met the pretty, underage virgin working in the shop below his flat. Very quickly his hormones seemed to get in the way of his actual purpose for being in Florida in the first place.

I think where the book fell down was in the lack of character development. The characters were all very one dimensional and a bit flat. The dialogue between characters was at times stilted and a bit awkward. I really would have liked to understand Dylan and his Birth Mother more. Why was Dylan such an apathetic individual and why did his sex life become more important than finding his birth mother? How did his Birth Mother pull herself up out of the depths of failure to make something of herself? And why, when she finally got herself on the right track, did she never bother to reconnect with her son?

Titan
Titan
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars See Paris Journey; See Paris Run, January 26, 2016
This review is from: Titan (Kindle Edition)
This post-apocalyptic, dystopian world is more screwed up than most, being possessed by a variety of horrible mutants and diseases. Troy and his wife Paris are determined to survive, hoping that a "sanctuary city" will take them in. But, be careful what you wish for. Needless to say, their quest doesn't go as planned.

At first, I thought there was something wrong about the writing, which often reads like a See Spot Run primer. But then I realized it's a deliberate style: eerie, chilling, and very effective at presenting this surreal world. It does take some getting used to, but it grows on you.

It's got some depth to it, and a surprise of an ending. I recommend it for readers who like stories on the weird side of the scale.

It's more of a novella, only 141 pages, so, points off for the price. As a counterweight to that snipe, it's free if you have Kindle Unlimited. A quick and intriguing read.

--- Joe Dacy II (Author or Esquelle and the Tesla Protocol)

Rules of Love & Murder (Love & Murder Book 2)
Rules of Love & Murder (Love & Murder Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, January 25, 2016
A frightened, heartbroken 8 year old boy and his mother flee their home in search of a better life.
During their drive, they hope and pray they will be able to find a safe and affordable place to live. They, unfortunately, find themselves on the side of the road, freezing in their broken down car.
Miracles come in many different forms; their saving grace came from a little 6 year old girl. Her compassion towards them led to a chance meeting, which in turn, sets in motion a string of amazing life altering events for many.
It’s ironic, as I sit here composing my review on “Rules of Love and Murder, I notice John Lennon’s 75th birthday celebration is playing on my TV. As I sit here listening to his lyrics, I quickly realized the message in his songs reflect most of the life lessons depicted in this book.
I understand there has to be some spice in a story to keep things flowing, but I felt the murders within didn’t really relate or enhance the story. With that being said, the rest of this tale warmed my heart, brought tears to my eyes and left me with a deep sense of satisfaction.
Stephanie Lasley, from The Kindle Book Review

Salsa with the Pope
Salsa with the Pope
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sex and the City minus gratuitous sex and excessive cosmos., January 24, 2016
This book is reminiscent of Sex and the City minus the gratuitous sex and swilling of cosmos (In fact, the main character doesn’t drink alcohol). The story revolves around Samantha (Sam) who is an aspiring stage actress from Ohio, and is now taking on the big city, New York. The book is well written, certainly portrays the picture of a starving artist in NYC, and the writer is extremely witty.

The majority of the nearly 400 page book revolves around Sam’s relationship with Alan, an aspiring playwright. I found Alan to be obsessed with his own success dragging Sam along for the ride, but not exactly allowing her into the spotlight because then she might outshine him. I was really put out with Alan and was disappointed he took up so much of Sam’s story (and Sam for basically settling), but in the end his presence in her life has such an effect on all of her future attempts at dating and her quest for happiness I guess it was necessary. There are many characters in this book and I found myself getting bogged down in keeping up with everyone resulting in frustration and at times boredom for me, but as an actress I would assume Sam would encounter tons of people with whom she might connect and maybe she feels as overwhelmed as I.

In the end, I wish that Darren could have taken a front seat in the story much earlier. He is enigmatic and sounds like every woman’s romance novel/movie hero dream man. His burst of jealousy at one point had me cheering for Sam. Finally, finally she was getting the feelings she deserved from a man! A man who wanted her as she was. In the end that’s all we want when we yearn to fall in love. Love without qualifications such as I wish she was thinner, bigger breasts, I wasn’t so honest, etc.

Overall, I believe this book is pretty dead on with most people’s struggles to find love or companionship, especially in a place like NYC. You’re going to encounter duds along the way, you’re definitely going to get your heart trampled upon, but in the end if you don’t give up you just might get to dance the dance of love (in this instance Salsa) with a person who complements, respects, and adores you.

Nichole Crittenden,
Kindle Book Review

Cinderella Busted (The Cinderella Romances Book 1)
Cinderella Busted (The Cinderella Romances Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging Read 4.4 Stars, January 24, 2016
From rags to riches, Rhett Buchanan is a self made Billionaire. In his youth, he was humiliated by many, especially girls, for being so poor. After becoming successful, he became jaded. Now, he only dates wealthy prominent women due to a fear of “Gold Diggers”.
Lily Foster is the owner of “Bloom and Grow”, a high end landscape and nursery business. She’s as sweet and innocent as they come. She’s hard working, kind hearted and loved by all who know her. Lily is a hands-on employer. You’ll find her rolling up her sleeves, digging, delivering and transplanting flowers and plants right alongside her employees.
On a chance meeting, Rhett is introduced to Lily; an instant attraction is felt by both. She quickly realizes he thinks she is a socialite. Under false pretenses she accepts a date from him, with the intentions of explaining the misunderstanding after their date. Unfortunately, afterwards she is too smitten to confess.
The real story in “Cinderella Busted” begins when Rhett learns of her deception.
I found this story to be cleverly written, heart-warming and entertaining. The Disney references made throughout the book gave the story an enchanting and magical feel.
Stephanie Lasley, from The Kindle Book Review

The Forbidden Army (The League of Planets Adventure Book 1)
The Forbidden Army (The League of Planets Adventure Book 1)
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Sit-Back-and-Enjoy Alien/Human Conspiracy, January 21, 2016
Relations between the Human Alliance and the Krokator Star Empire haven't exactly been cordial, but when a terrorist group known only as the Forbidden Army launches coordinated and devastating attacks to further its galaxy-wide agenda, the two star nations must work together to solve the mystery.

The author's two, well-defined protagonists, one human and one alien, propel the story, which is replete with intrigue, betrayal, spy tradecraft, interspecies insensitivity, personal jealousies and bureaucratic indifference: all of the things that make a well-rounded tale. Both investigators have their flaws and the alien motif is compelling.

The author avoids themes and plotlines that could have turned the whole thing into a comic book. The military tech isn't particularly noteworthy, but it doesn't overshadow the drama either.

Recommended for those readers who like a lengthy, more developed SF novel. Best of all, it's the first of a series.

Seduced by Authority
Seduced by Authority

3.0 out of 5 stars A Ménage of steamy short scenes., January 19, 2016
Seduced by Authority contains three short snapshots of erotic encounters, all ménage including two men (two airline pilots, three police officers, and a jogger) and one woman in each.. While the stories are more a set of scenes, that in no way takes away from the excitement level. My cheeks were most definitely red and possibly my ears as well.

If you are looking for something quick and to the point as well as something pretty high on the racy scale, then this set is for you.
I must say there are some noticeable grammatical errors, but it wasn’t too distracting. For example, ‘waste’ was used instead of ‘waist’ and ‘but’ rather than ‘butt.’ As I said, it didn’t detract from the story as I knew what the author meant and those items can be easily corrected. The main point is the author painted three very steamy, vivid pictures for you to enjoy.

Nichole Crittenden,