Profile for Kindle Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kindle Customer RSS Feed

International (Monster Hunter)
International (Monster Hunter)
by Larry Correia
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
131 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster Hunter International, May 23, 2011
First off let me say that I read LOTS of books, seldom do I read a book that moves me to actually sit down and write a review.

Next let me say that this is not the type of book I normally read. I tend to go more for Urban and Sword and Sorcery, so you can see why I was so surprised when I picked this book up and it virtually became and extension of my arm for the next two days.

I usually group my books into three categories..the first are the ones that it becomes a challenge to finish, the second group are usually pretty good, you think about them when you are not reading, can't wait to see what happens next, but generally life goes on at a normal pace, the final group are what I call the Life Stoppers. Now a real Life Stopper only comes along every once in a while, a reader is lucky if they happen upon one or two a year. My family hates a Life Stopper. The laundry comes to a halt, the dishes remain in the sink, the grocery store is unvisited, and delivered pizza is served on foam plates.

This book was a life stopper. Once started I absolutely could not put it down. I sit here now with blurry eyes, and am having a hard time containing myself from starting the second installment of this series until later tonight.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Its very smartly written. I particularly love the use of silver in the bullets and not the bullets made of silver. The characters are great fun. They are very human and the hero gets his butt kicked quite regularly. It was great fun.

The Passage: A Novel (Book One of The Passage Trilogy)
The Passage: A Novel (Book One of The Passage Trilogy)
by Justin Cronin
Price: $20.61
554 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Novels I have read all year!, August 9, 2010
I usually don't read horror. Point in fact I NEVER read horror, until I happened to read the first chapter of the passage online. From that chapter I was hopelessly hooked and couldn't wait till my copy came in the mail. I was all set up for disappointment but thankfully it never came. I was also ready for the creepy feeling that comes every time I walk down a dark hallway, fortunately that also never came.

This book is not horror in that sense, the part that really frightened me is the fact that its to plausible. Not necessarily the "vampire" part, but the part about the whole plague ridden world and the good v/s evil.

Now keep in mind for those of us who enjoy being on "team Edward" or are looking for a Sookie and Bill relationship, that is definitely not gonna happen here. You will never see a "team Babcock" tee. These Vamps are not in any way romantic. The closest I can come to a comparison is maybe "I am Legend". The comparison only stands for the vampires. The plot is so original and fresh I can't think of anything to compare it to. I know a lot of people have used Stephen Kings "The Stand", and I guess that would work to a point. But where the stand covers a period of maybe a couple years at most, this book covers a century, and the author moves through time in a way so flawless that I was never lost or confused with the story line.

This book is also chalk full of characters. In the past I have had a real problem with books that utilize as many characters as this book does, but with Justin Cronin its not really a problem. I never once had to go back and re-read a passage to find out who was speaking or what the significance of a certain name was. That was part of the beauty of this book. If a character was used, they were developed, we knew them, most likely they died, but at least we knew at all times what was going on and what the point of their being a part of the story was.

All in all, I loved this book. I'm sorry its over. I would love to see it turned into a movie so I could share it with my husband who hates to read. I will definitely be getting the next installment on the day its released.

CCM® Universal SDHC SDXC TF Flash Memory Card Reader (USB 2.0)
CCM® Universal SDHC SDXC TF Flash Memory Card Reader (USB 2.0)
Offered by Media-Mart
Price: $9.95

4.0 out of 5 stars good product, May 11, 2010
I use this product all the time. I use it for my digital camera, I use it for my digital camcorder. I got rid of all those messy usb cables that I was using previous to purchasing this reader.