Profile for Elektra > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Elektra RSS Feed (Toronto)

The Mother of All Baby Books
The Mother of All Baby Books
by Ann Douglas
Price: $21.80
170 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, October 5, 2002
My baby is now 2 months old and I've just finished reading the Mother of all Baby Books. I found it to be an easy-to-read, easy-to-understand book covering all aspects of the first year. I wish I had it when my daughter was first born... it would have saved a lot of non-emergency calls to my midwife! There's so much info packed in this book... sleeping, feeding, babyproofing, illnesses, those quirky newborn skin conditions, immunizations etc. Plus great little tips on saving money when outfiting your nursery, and how many layers to dress Baby in... the list goes on. I whole-heartedly recommend this book. It takes you from newborn to the first birthday and answers every question you can think of. There is also a great list of resources for where to find more information. Ann gives you it all and then tells you where to find more!

The Mother of all Pregnancy Books
The Mother of all Pregnancy Books
by Ann Douglas
369 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mother of All... is it ever!, January 21, 2002
This book is wonderful! And since it's written by a woman and a mother, that immediately makes it more reliable to me than if it were written by a man. (Not that men don't write good books, but clearly they aren't writing from personal experience. Not for this topic.)
What I find particularly useful is the list of common pregnancy complaints listed alphabetically, rather than by month. Since no two pregnancies are exactly alike, it's reassuring to just be able to read about what you're experiencing, without the worry that something is wrong because it is ocurring either too early or too late.
The book is neither bossy nor condescending. It's like having good advice from a friend handy, that you can refer to at any time. I find myself reading things in other books, or in magazines and looking it up in The Mother of All Pregnancy Books, thinking, "What does Ann say about this?"
If you are only going to buy one pregnancy book, this is the one to get. Seriously. It really does have it all: miscarriage, birth plans, home birth, maximizing your chances of conception, ways to cope with common complaints, ways to make your dollar stretch when outfitting the nursery, etc. etc.
I see that The Mother of All Baby Books will soon be published. I can hardly wait!