Profile for NickiJ > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

NickiJ RSS Feed

Solia Tourmaline Ceramic Ion Flat Iron (1")
Solia Tourmaline Ceramic Ion Flat Iron (1")

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice when it worked. Some snagging., January 28, 2009
Failed me on the second USE. Snagged hair a little. Biggest complaint is that instead of being able to leave it on 180 and get nice results like the first use, I had to turn it up to between 250 and 320. At 180 it didn't even feel like it was really on, more like after you've turned it off and it's cooling down.

It also doesn't open wide enough for the blind straightening I have to do at the back of my head. But that may have just taken some getting used to.

I'm leaning toward really liking the Remington Shine Therapy right now. Still up in the air.

I'm shipping the Solia back to Folica tomorrow for refund--no replacement, no repair. At my expense, of course :(

Ideally, I won't have to escalate with my credit card issuer.

Remington S9950 Shine Therapy Moisturizing and Conditioning Digital Ceramic Hair Straightener, 1"
Offered by Berry's Best
Price: $90.00
2 used & new from $90.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Like It, Except for Plates Not Meeting Evenly and Lowest Temp, January 25, 2009
Got it yesterday. Washed, conditioned, and air-dried hair to do a comparison of this versus my Solia. I have long, relaxed hair. Used two heat protectants--Studio Line cream and TreSemme spray concentrated on ends.

First thing is that the plates do not meet evenly. When closed to just meet, they only do so on one end. When pressed to close completely, they only meet in the center of the plates. Each end has a 1/8" gap. I'm hoping to get to Ulta or wherever and find a unit that does not have this problem. My Solia also does that "only on one end" thing, so that's 1 strike against both of them. However, both can be closed to a degree where there is an even gap the entire length of the plates, but a section of hair that thick would be ridiculous.

Did one section with the Solia at my preferred temp of 180 deg F, pretty nice. Now therein lies the second problem with the Remington. The lowest temperature setting is 300 deg F. I think that's entirely too high for my relaxed ends. It takes care to retain your added new growth so hair keeps getting longer ALL THE WHILE KEEPING UP WITH TOUCHUPS.

Three hundred degrees is fine for my new growth (beautiful), but 180 to 250 deg on the Solia did a beautiful job too. I'll go up to 250 on the Solia depending on how straight and smooth I want my hair. And I'm not so worried about sweeping that past my ends once or twice per month. That's how rarely I use heat on my hair :)

So during that pass, I ended up pressing the increase temp button ALL THE WAY to the max 430 deg F! I'm thinking, "This can't be it." So I checked the instructions further, and you can LOCK THE TEMP by pressing and holding the minus/decrease button until the padlock appears in the display. That worked. AND you can't even turn it off without unlocking it--same procedure.

Anyway, 300 degrees with this iron gave silky, smooth, and soft results--unrelaxed new growth on down!

Now, the snagging. Solia snags my hair more than it should. It happens when I'm doing the blind straightening I have to do at the back of my head. With not being able to see, the iron needs to open more than the Solia does. The Remington opens 3/4" more than the Solia. I don't know what it is in degrees but it's a real difference-maker. The Remington only truly snagged one strand. A couple more got caught, but that was TOTALLY me. Didn't lose the strands, though.

I am SO glad Remington is a good replacement for the Solia--so far. My second time using the Solia, it didn't heat up like it did the first time. I've had it for 3 weeks and have used it as many times. Not having that issue with the Remington, but we'll see.

So if I find A Remington where the plates meet properly, I'll be a THRILLED camper. Otherwise, my search for a good flat iron will continue.

And I'm not getting this smell some others are. But then they may not be having (or care about) the plates meeting issue I'm having. Oh well.

*****OK. Went to Ulta. They had two. Tried both of them for the plates meeting. Both had different degrees of uneveness. So, design/quality control problem, but I'm too in love with the results so something is more right than anything else is wrong. It's a keeper for now :)

Pike Street 400-Thread-Count Microfiber King Sheet Set, Chocolate
Pike Street 400-Thread-Count Microfiber King Sheet Set, Chocolate

4.0 out of 5 stars I like 'em, January 1, 2008
Nothing special or bad about them. Just, obviously, wash them before you put them on your bed. Hot water. Excess color comes off like crazy in that wash. But they still have a rich color and they feel fine.

Emperor 4-Piece Jacquard Queen Comforter Set, Beige
Emperor 4-Piece Jacquard Queen Comforter Set, Beige

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks Cheap. Feels Cheap. Warehoused in filth., December 10, 2007
Just what I wrote. Bag containing the set had a layer of dirt on it. The beautiful cord handle and bag edges were dirty. The bag was OPEN so the product inside had that dirt on it.

The material of the product (cannot stretch and call it "fabric") was very thin and cheap-feeling. I've gotten much better quality woven jacquard for the same price + shipping from Brylane Home.

Returning for refund. Replacement unthinkable.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2008 3:57 PM PDT