ARRAY(0x988543d8)

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JMH RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2
AC Adapter for Lenovo IdeaPad S9 S10 S10-3t & Others (Lifetime Warranty, Bulk Packaging)

5.0 out of 5 stars does the job, July 5, 2010
The cable between my MSI Wind U100 and its AC adapter became damaged, so I replaced the whole kit with this one. Appears to be well-made, perhaps sturdier than the original because the cord is heavier. Being able to charge the battery again = a good thing for me!!

Griffin iTrip Auto FM Transmitter for iPod Black
Griffin iTrip Auto FM Transmitter for iPod Black
Offered by TurboDeals
Price: $14.95
20 used & new from $0.95

4.0 out of 5 stars works well for my iphone 3G, July 5, 2010
I just wanted the cheapest and easiest solution for playing my music in my car. I have a 2002 Grand Am with the factory standard stereo (no connectivity) and I was tired of burning "road CDs" that my player won't read half the time. I never had a portable media player until a couple months ago, when I started using an iPhone. I shopped around for an FM car transmitter and found the iTrip to be the least expensive viable option at the time (prices change). I chose it over a lot of nice iPhone-specific gadgets solely due to price.

The Griffin iTrip was designed for iPods and not the phone (when I connect my phone, I get a message to this effect that goes on to warn of potential signal interference, but I haven't experienced any) so it doesn't do the hands-free cellular thing, but it plays music and charges the battery just fine. If I get a call, the music fades out and the phone rings. Simple enough. The sound quality is as good as a clear FM station, but of course this can vary based on location and the antenna in your car, among other things. The auto-generated presets are not necessarily the best stations, I've found.

This device works great for me, I just knocked a star for build quality, which is about what you'd expect from the cheap car charger & cable parts. I could see myself breaking it in a few months trying to ram it into my lighter socket, because it fits snug. I thought I had already broken it when one of the spring clips got jammed, but it straightened out next time I plugged it in. The ipod/phone connector doesn't plug up very smoothly, like it's a little bit the wrong size or whatever, but the iPhone instantly recognizes the device and it works fine. Until I decide to spend the money on hands-free calling & one of those cool little mounting brackets to hold my phone instead of laying it in my center drink holder, this is my baby.

Ray-Ban RB2140 Original Wayfarer Sunglasses
Ray-Ban RB2140 Original Wayfarer Sunglasses
Price: $118.67 - $331.76

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect shades, July 5, 2010
got the regular black ones from sunglassexpress (great store). I always wore aviators but I lost my good pair, vanished into thin air I think. Now I may never go back... I do not miss the skinny metal arms and frames (Ray Bans are sturdy, but by their nature aviators do not survive many accidental crushings) and the protruding nose pads that get tangled up in my hair. Wayfarers have none of these issues, just pure sun-blocking and bloodshot eye-hiding power.

Quality and comfort is excellent, and they come with a nice snap case (mine was brown leather.. I also have a black Ray Ban case that came with my aviators, so I don't know if they use different cases/colors for different sunglass styles or colors or what. you may want to ask the seller if it matters to you) and lens cloth like all Ray Bans.

Them Crooked Vultures
Them Crooked Vultures
Price: $14.78
72 used & new from $0.73

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, I like it a lot, May 31, 2010
This review is from: Them Crooked Vultures (Audio CD)
I have been playing this a lot recently. As far as rock & roll goes, the music is all over the place. You won't hear the same ideas repeated a lot; shades of desert and "stoner" rock & metal, 60s and 70s, psychedelics, modern rock, Josh Homme's own personal strangeness... the band employs different guitar tunings and tones and some varied instrumentation (courtesy of JPJ), and Josh uses several vocal styles to great effect. Bottom line, there's always something interesting going on.

I have never heard Queens of the Stone Age or got into any of Dave Grohl's musical projects, but I enjoy Kyuss and Led Zeppelin, and it's from that lineage that most of Them Crooked Vultures' "cred" stems in my opinion. and it didn't disappoint me. I can't wait to hear what they come up with next. If the sound of an electric guitar has ever moved you at some point in your life, you will find something to like about this disc. My favorites are "Scumbag Blues", "Caligulove", and "Reptiles".

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars always cool, maybe even worth the price, January 31, 2010
I went with the 55mm polarized black Ray Bans. I have to say that the frames are smaller than I expected; I am a small person with a pretty small head (I tighten my Sony headphones all the way up, for instance) and they almost didn't fit. Somebody like Wayne Knight, would trash them for sure. No offense to Mr. Knight.

The style is classic, and the Ray Ban logo on the corner of your shades demonstrates a cucumberesque level of cool. Durability is top notch considering how thin they are. They will last until they inevitably get broken, lost, or stolen. These rarely left my head on a Florida trip this August, and they were very welcome on the drive and on the snowblinding sands of Destin. However after wearing them in the ocean they developed weird splotches on the inside of the lenses (invisible from the outside, and to the wearer when you're actually wearing the glasses), probably some polarization-related coating affected by the saltwater because I haven't managed to polish it off. No ill effects besides that, they didn't rust or anything and are still great for every day wear. but seriously, get some cheap shades if you're actually going to swim in the ocean.

Pretty awesome shades, but if I had to do it all over again I would probably get several pairs of cheaper aviators in different colors and not be so worried whenever someone gets within 5 feet of sitting on them.

100 Brass Gold Tobacco Pipe Screens
100 Brass Gold Tobacco Pipe Screens
Offered by Discount Hookahs and Tobacco Products
Price: $2.96
8 used & new from $2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars review pipe screens? yeah why not, January 31, 2010
I smoke a pipe several times a day, always with these. I ordered them here because there's no local shops around here where I can get this quantity for the price. Come to think of it there's not really any shops at all local to this area, so sometimes I buy mundane things on Amazon.

I haven't used a quarter of the bag since October 2008 (there was definitely more than 100 in there) and have never burned completely through one or had them fall apart. so yeah, there you go. They are indeed brass pipe screens. Follow the smoke toward the riff-filled land...
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2014 9:17 PM PST

MSI Wind U100-432US 10-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, XP Home, 6 Cell Battery) Black

5.0 out of 5 stars has been my only PC for a year, January 31, 2010
I bought this when my old desktop bit the dust last February. I don't need a high-performance PC and was attracted to the compact netbooks for some reason (I had never wanted, needed, or used a laptop before but it seemed like a cool gadget!). Despite having never heard of MSI computers, I decided on the Wind based on several features: easy 2GB RAM upgrade, built in Bluetooth, the proprietary overclock/underclock, 3 USB ports, bigger keyboard and monitor compared to other netbooks at the time, 160GB HDD, and Windows XP. Turns out I made a good choice.

Sure it's a neat travel PC (it's been a welcome companion on a couple of vacations where I would have been without a computer), but it's the only computer I own period. I look at it sort of like an mp3 player with docking capability; not that I only play music on the Wind, I mean metaphorically...

At home I can plug in to AC power and connect the VGA-out to a widescreen monitor, run the headphone-out to my old 2.1 stereo setup, and use the 3 USB ports to power any number of devices (such as my wireless keyboard + mouse combo receiver, external hard drives, Samsung DVD Burner, a 56k modem if I'm staying somewhere with no broadband at all, even my Playstation 3 controller with the right driver). The Wind does everything I need (I regularly use the Opera browser, word processors, AVG Antivirus and Spybot S&D, winamp, some old games such as Half-Life, Morrowind or even JNES and ZSNES, Daemon Tools, uTorrent, VLC player, etc) and by "docking" it I don't sacrifice comfort by going with the tiny keyboard, touchpad, and 10 inch screen. Then if I want to hit the road with my PC, I just unplug and load up my laptop bag.

Using my Wind this way, I've probably put a more stress on it than it was ever intended to endure, but I have never had a problem with it that I couldn't easily fix. I leave it on all day every day, lift it by the LCD monitor while open, drive around with it on the front seat, let it get dusty on the floor, accidentally knocked it off a chair or two and spilled beverages on the lid, get crumbs in the keys, etc... not that I abuse it on purpose, but stuff happens you know :-)

The only problems so far: First a broken battery compartment tab that happened when I dropped it edge-first during the first week of ownership. The battery has not truly locked in place since then. Creative solutions abound, like velcro or adhesives or maybe a professional fix, but since the battery has never fallen out under its own weight I haven't bothered (I can yank out my battery by hand without unlocking it though). Second, there's a dead pixel on the monitor. Just the one. That's pretty much it.

Netbooks have a lot of limitations, and if you're shopping for one you should be familiar with them (relatively slow processors, little upgrade capacity, odd screen resolution, no dedicated video, small size everything, lousy onboard speakers, things like that generally go with the territory). Then again you probably don't intend to make it your main computer like I have. They're not really designed for that kind of use. But if you're wondering whether the MSI Wind series are reliable machines that will stand up to regular use, my personal experience with this one indicates YES. My Wind has gone above and beyond the call of duty and isn't showing any signs of slowing down.

Fenix mini LD01 CREE Q5 80 Lumens LED Flashlight - black color, using one AAA battery
Offered by aSavings
Price: $29.95
6 used & new from $29.95

4.0 out of 5 stars seeing clearly now, January 31, 2010
I work evening shifts, so I often roam around my home and the outside world while the family and other reasonable people are sleeping. Personal light sources are important to me. My pocket always holds this little dude, which is a little longer than a AA battery (indeed the AAA it runs on barely fits inside) and provides excellent white light. I was surprised how small it actually is in person. It's made of metal, and the internal components have no wiggle room. Not much to go wrong.

It can run on the low setting for many hours; with an 8-pack of cheap batteries on hand, it trumps a candle when the power goes off (consider also that you may be somewhere besides home when the power goes off). The high setting is as bright as my old 2 D-cell incandescent light, but kills the battery faster and really heats up the light. It's not ideal for self defense (you must twist the light on three times to find this setting, not likely under duress), but it casts an impressive spotlight in a big room, parking deck, or outdoors.

gripes: no O-ring or keychain loop with mine (although it does have tiny holes to fit a ring or lanyard) and the detached pocket clip is hard to install (I prefer the light with lanyard and no clip). The twist on/off operation will never be my favorite method, but in a micro light it's pretty standard.

Bigger flashlights have more utility, but who carries those around besides police? This is the kind of light you actually have handy when you need to see in the dark! If you often read or search for stuff by the light of a mobile phone, optical mouse, cigarette lighter, etc. check out one of these mini LED torches. It might literally be a light to you when all other lights go out.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2010 3:41 AM PDT

Sony MDRV6 Monitor Series Headphones with CCAW Voice Coil
Sony MDRV6 Monitor Series Headphones with CCAW Voice Coil
Price: $82.99
10 used & new from $64.95

5.0 out of 5 stars good workhorse 'phones, January 31, 2010
I use these headphones for all my PS3 gaming and movie watching (output to Sony stereo), my Nintendo DS, listening to music CDs and varying quality files on my netbook, and practicing bass and guitar (the 1/4" adaptor comes in handy!). Sound is always solid, not perfect for everything but really good for anything; as many have said before, you get out of these 'phones what you put in. I like that I can plug straight into basically any headphone output and rock (or soft-rock if necessary); the uncolored response gives the V6s good versatility in my opinion; i'm not interested in artificially-enhanced bass or anything, just accurate sound.

In my research I've found that a lot of these headphones from the early 90s are still kicking around with just an earpad replacement. The cord and plug are sturdy, which is important to me because I have been burned (not literally) by cheap cords in the past. I wish the earpieces could be locked into place instead of flopping around... wouldn't be hard to twist them laterally, so fold them up when not in use. The loops of cord above the earpieces might get taped/glued down or ziptied, because if they get snagged (could happen on a guitar tuning peg or something. I have this kind of luck) it would be ugly. I have no problem wearing em for 4+ hours at a time, but eventually my ears and temples start getting sore. By then it's time for a break from vegging around anyway. I will be putting the velour replacement pads on to see what happens.

Headphones are a pretty subjective subject, so your mileage may vary. Try some out at a store if you can. I bought these because I found myself living in headphones a lot and wanted to ditch my cheap buds and clippies for an affordable, versatile, comfortable, workhorse set. If you're an audiophile you probably want different sets of cans and amps for everything, but if you're a no nonsense dude like me you want something like this. I give them 4.5 stars.

Victorinox Swiss Army Bantam Alox Pocket Knife (Silver Alox Ribbed )
Victorinox Swiss Army Bantam Alox Pocket Knife (Silver Alox Ribbed )

5.0 out of 5 stars sleek, May 17, 2009
This review is from: Bantam Alox Pocket Knife (Sports)
Couldn't believe how thin and light the Bantam is, but not in a gimmicky space age way. It's all metal and pretty bomb-poof. The blade came nearly razor sharp. It doesn't lock; a liner lock would probably make the knife twice as thick. I've used the "combination tool" to open bottles and tighten big phillips screws. It would still be a very cool minimalist knife without this feature (which they do sell), but the bottle opener makes this thing exponentially more handy without adding appreciable thickness or weight. It's the same thickness as their tiny Alox keychain knife.

you really won't notice you're carrying it, and indeed you won't realize when you've dropped it in the movie theater and had to buy a new one. grr. if anyone found one of these at Star Trek let me know, i'll buy you a new one in exchange for getting mine back.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2010 3:49 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2