Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Profile for Marty Gillis > Reviews

Browse

Marty Gillis' Profile

Customer Reviews: 570
Top Reviewer Ranking: 451

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Marty Gillis RSS Feed (Los Angeles)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dell Inspiron 3847 Desktop with Flagship Specs (Windows 7 Professional, Intel Quad Core i7-4790 up to 4.0GHz 8MB Cache, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB HDD, DVD Drive, Bluetooth)
Offered by didatemai
Price: $713.99
37 used & new from $695.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice machine with a few caveats!, January 17, 2016
Needed to replace my 3 year old HP Dual Core after a “clean install” of Windows 7 bricked it. Been using windows for 17 years now and am not a novice in any way so your guess is as good as mine as to what went wrong.
(typical)

I read all the reviews for this particular model and took a chance. Mine appeared to be “new” and included Windows 7 Professional, along with a quick start guide, warranty card and Windows 8.1 backup disc, along with wired keyboard and mouse and power cable. It is possible these are refurbished, at least from some sellers. If mine is, you would never know it to look at it. Came in a Dell Box, packed inside a large Amazon box. Delivered by USPS and zero damage to outer/inner boxes.

Bottom Line: It is as advertised under the hood. CPU, HDD and RAM are all as claimed. Pretty zippy little machine as well and if you upgrade (free of charge) to Windows 10 it will be REALLY fast. Boot time alone with the Windows 10 upgrade screams at around 15 seconds or so. WOW!

Machine runs quietly but I do notice the HDD makes a much louder noise (very audible clicking) than my previous HP tower.

Not very much bloatware to deal with. I absolutely recommend you uninstall ALL the Dell software as it is glitch ridden and fairly useless anyway.

There are a few cons I need to mention:

While it is true you get 4 USB jacks in back and 2 in front, some idiot decided that the USB 3.0 jacks should be on the rear of the unit. BIG MISTAKE! I need to access USB 3 many times during the day and on a multitude of external devices so having them in the back is a MAJOR inconvenience. The workaround was to purchase a couple of 3 ft. USB 3 extension cables and run them around to the front of the machine. Not the cleanest looking install but it works.

The most MAJOR deficiency is the integrated audio. Compared to my last (and MUCH cheaper) computer, the converters on the integrated sound card sound coarse and cheap. Lifeless and Flat are terms that come to mind. No amount of EQ adjusting could remedy this and for this price it is a major disappointment. A sound card upgrade is in my VERY near future.

Video performance is another matter. Overall it is very slick. 1080P files load and play within 2 seconds and glitch free. Very nice.

If you do heavy multitasking (like myself) and need a computer that won't be bogged down by transferring multiple large files while web browsing active content intensive sites PLUS playing audio or video all at the same time, this machine fits the bill. 16 gigs of RAM is enough for most anything right now (until the sites double the active content on their pages) and it is pretty seamless.

Overall a good machine with good implementation. Sub Par audio quality and USB 3 jacks on the rear were a disappointment but can be dealt with. Perhaps just a BIT overpriced as a user added sound card and a SS Drive are indicated, but otherwise a nice enough machine.

ON SALE Topnotch Dry Body Brush - Luxury Natural Bristles - Long Handle - Great Back Scrubber - Anti Cellulite - Bath Brushes
Offered by TopNotch London
Price: $35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product! (first brush lasted me almost 8 years!), October 8, 2015
I love this brush! Bought the same exact brush about 8 years ago at Target and it only just fell apart a few weeks ago. I was more than pleased to be able to order the same brush on Amazon and for a bit less money too. NO worries about the handle coming off the brush head as the water will swell up the wood into the groove and keep it there unless you really WANT to separate them. Bristles are long lasting and keep their medium stiffness a very long time.

The only reason I had to replace my original brush from 8 years ago was the plastic ring that holds the bristles started to crack and come apart in chunks. The bristles themselves were still quite serviceable after all that time. Overall, a very good product.

Recommended by ME, Marty G!

Dickies Men's Corduroy Plaid Slip-On Loafer, Tan, X-Large/11-12 M US
Dickies Men's Corduroy Plaid Slip-On Loafer, Tan, X-Large/11-12 M US

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, heavy wearing...., October 8, 2015
Got these to replace another pair of Dickies that lasted me a good year of solid use. NO reason to assume these won't last just as long since they are the same construction. Theses slippers are good for around the house wear and brief trips outside to the mailbox, etc. They are also quite warm and will keep you comfy cozy!

The slippers look nice and should retain most of their good looks throughout their life. In my experience, it's the inside of theses that wear out first. I always wear socks with them but the inside lining on sides and bottom all seem to wear away after about 8 months. This is after every day, sometimes ALL day use. For the money, that's a pretty good wear cycle.

If you spend more, you'll get something that may last a bit longer but I like them enough to buy a new pair each year.

I have found the actual size to be approx. 1/2 size larger than what they are labeled. I would go a size lower but I worry about the width getting to narrow so I will put up with a slightly looser fit than I would like. 1/2 sizes would be great, but they just don't come that way.

2-Pack iMah Ryme B2 BT184342 BT284342 BT18433 BT28433 Battery for ATT CL80100 Vtech CS6219 Uniden BT1011 BT1018 BT1022 BT1031 Cordless Phone
Offered by iMahDirect
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value!, October 8, 2015
Great value! Make sure to charge em up for about 10 hours before using, then you are good to go! Batteries recharged perfectly each night and provided full power for a 3 hour conversation on our power sucking cordless. Still had 4 out of 5 power bars showing afterwards. The only thing I don't know yet, is how many charges they will take. Time will tell....

The price is right and the batteries work great! AS such, I gotta give theses Marty G's most highest recommendation!

Donner DPA-1 Power Adapter Output 9V DC 1A (1000mA) Tip Negative 5 Way Daisy Chain Cables for Effect Pedal
Offered by DonnerDirect
Price: $25.00
2 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, adds no noise, runs cool!, October 8, 2015
Works perfectly with two boutique pedals, terminating into a Tone King Imperial MkII. No added noise, no electrical interference of any kind. I only have 2 of the 5 jacks on the included extension in use and with no ill effects from leaving the other 3 just dangling. Plenty of length between the adapter and jack on power cable. I checked the power supply after 2 hours of use powering two pedals, and it was barely warm.

The Donner DPA-1 is a great value and while perhaps not the very best choice for gigging, for home or studio use it should be just fine. Good product, good price! What's not to like?

On Stage RS7500 Tiltback Amplifier Stand
On Stage RS7500 Tiltback Amplifier Stand
Price: $29.95
14 used & new from $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I trust it with my Tone King !, October 8, 2015
Wanted to get my Tone King Imperial MkII off the ground and after some web research decided to give this stand a try. I have to say, it's as solid as it needs to be, maybe more so. Decent enough manufacturing and I have absolute confidence in it. I've put up a front and back view of the stand holding my amp. Amp remains stable, doesn't wobble and gives no impression that is will slip or tip.

I'm not sure if this stand is the best for gigging as I don't need to move it, but for studio/rehearsal use it is quite nice and more than adequate.
You can pay more for others, but unless you need your amp much higher off the ground this is the one to get. Great value for money here!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Guitar Instrument Patch Cable Cord with Right Angle Plug, 6 inch / 0.5 feet (3-pack)- Perfect for Effects Pedal Patchbay & Pedalboard By Creanoso
Offered by CREANOSO
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great results with Boutique Pedals and Amp!, October 8, 2015
Just what I needed! Quality is better than expected for this price. NO signal degradation or noise introduced by these. Currently using with Xotic BB Preamp and SP Comp with excellent results. My signal terminates into a Tone King Imperial Mk II and if my tone was in any way adversely affected, I would have tossed these. NOT THE CASE HERE! Good stuff, works perfectly and over average build quality. Well worth the $$ !!

Lost in Space: The Complete Adventures [Blu-ray]
Lost in Space: The Complete Adventures [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Jonathan Harris
Price: $82.99
30 used & new from $82.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing picture quality! LIS on Blu Ray rocks!, September 15, 2015
'Lost in Space' was must see TV for me back in 1965. I was right in front of the old B&W Magnavox tube console (with antenna on the roof) for each and every episode. Hard to believe it has been 50 years! This show is a sentimental favorite for many of us and as long as you take it as it was intended, a great time can be had by all. After enduring the horrible “quality” of the DVD sets, this new Blu Ray offering is a total revelation.

SO how does 'Lost in Space' look in HD? In a word... P E R F E C T ! (or close to it)

The video quality of both the B&W and Color episodes just radiate with excellence. There are not enough words to describe it. Basically, it's at least as good as Trek TOS PQ and possible better in some respects. Just excellent transfers all around. The remastering job goes beyond anything I had hoped for. This is IT for LIS fans!

Contrast levels are right on the money, fine detail abounds, colors are both natural and bright with loads of pop and the B&W first season is clear as a bell, on the level of the Casablanca restored BD PQ. It is just plain awesome folks! be prepared to see SO MUCH MORE than you have ever seen before. Nice disc menus and very robust disc media.

Audio is the same. While still in MONO of course, it is crystal clear DTS-HD Master Audio, well balanced and normalized from episode to episode. AS good as you could possible hope for! (and then some) Still sounds a bit tinny, but the original production sound was not that much to write home about. Basically, the Blu Rays give you exactly what Irwin Allen's sound department heard when they mixed the stems into mono back in 1965. NO miracles with the sound, but you do get a crystal clear uncompressed rendering of what is there. THUMBS UP!

I have but only two complaints. First is the packaging of the 3 Seasons. Nobody in their right mind will leave the discs IN the packaging as it invites both damage to the disc AND the sleeves each time you use them. While the artwork and info is great, it just isn’t practical unless you don’t plan to ever watch them! OH the pain, THE PAIN!!! Even the "Box" this set comes in is not much more than a very light coated paper wrapper that will absolutely NOT stand up to heavy use at all. THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE!

20th Century Fox should look to Shout Factory for how to package a full series properly. (my WKRP DVD set has a great Box/Slipcover and 4 nice multi disc cases that are all solid as a rock)

Don’t take my word for it, buy this set and you will soon see exactly what I am talking about here. I transferred the entire set to my Pal DVD set LIS sleeves and all is right with the world for now. After all, we don't watch the packaging, but the content and in that regard this Blu Ray set excels!

The other complaint is the lack of episode guide. Yes, you do get the description printed on the included disc sleeves, but they are cumbersome to use and a printed guide would have been the way to go. Honestly, whoever designed this package doesn’t collect or watch discs. Its a thing of beauty but it just isn’t practical.

Bonus features are plentiful and most welcome. So many great bonus features that for a real LIS fan, this set is just about worth it for them alone. Look to the 20th Century site for full details regrading extras. I can't say enough good things about this set really. Don’t let the cumbersome packaging keep you from buying it, just know in advance you need to put the Blu Rays somewhere else if you care about them.

Bottom Line: Close to perfect PQ and Audio, with a remastering job that will simply blow you away! If you are even thinking about buying this,. Go ahead. You wont regret it!

Pop in disc one and be prepared to have , in the words of Zumdish, FUN..FUN.. FUN … ! Prepare your Blu Ray player for a Hyperdrive!

Marty G's most highest recommendation!
Comment Comments (16) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2015 11:13 PM PDT

Easy Money / Men At Work [Blu-ray]
Easy Money / Men At Work [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Rodney Dangerfield
Price: $17.50
23 used & new from $14.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Here's One, Here's Two, from me to you!, August 28, 2015
This review is for the Blu ray transfer of Easy Money. This product contains 2 films ('Men at Work' as well) but I purchased this product solely for one of Rodney's most underrated classics.

'Back to School' , 'Caddyshack' and 'Easy Money' comprise the Trifecta of film comedy for Rodney Dangerfield for me. I LOVE this movie, have seen it at least 25 times since it came out and plan to watch it at least yearly until I croak off. (yes, I am a geezer)

This is a film my friends and I watched incessantly back in the 80's. Both on VHS home video and the endless showings on HBO back in the day. I own the DVD release of 'Easy Money' (a really good DVD transfer) and am happy to report that everything has been improved with the HD rendering.

Image is, for the most part, sharp! Colors are presented in what appears to be their original timing and grading and while a few shots have slightly blown out contrast and a bit of white blooming, overall the image is very pleasing. Blacks are rendered well for a mid level bit rate file. A few soft shots, mostly transitions from optical fades (done before the Avid film composer and other DAWs) can be spotted here or there, but for a lower end catalog title 'Easy Money' looks pretty darn good and hands down the best it has ever looked on home video.

The audio is good as well,. You get 2.0 DTS-HD Master Audio which is more than sufficient for this movie. Music sounds good with a nice stereo mix, dialogue is clear, Foley is mixed in stereo. This is obviously the original mix as presented in theaters upon original release.

Disc media is robust and the case is fine. Both films appear on one disc here but the bit rate is more than sufficient to supply your HDTV with an artifact free presentation. The only extras included are the theatrical trailers for both films. NO problem, I am here for the movie.

If you love Rodney Dangerfield , then you will be quite pleased with release.
Good Picture, Decent Sound and a two-fer as well.

To paraphrase the late , great Taylor Negron, “This Blu ray is bad, it is SO bad, it is SO BAD it should be in detention” ! (“Bad” meaning GOOD in this case!) Rodney may have got “No Respect” , but 'Easy Money' on Blu Ray is a good start and a MUST OWN for your Dangerfield collection.

Totally recommended by ME, Marty G !
** I did check out 'Men at Work' as well, and the PQ is a bit sharper than 'Easy Money' so you can't go wrong if that is the title of the two that you are interested in owning.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2015 3:00 PM PST

Hanes Men's Jersey Cotton Shorts - 2XL, Light Steel
Hanes Men's Jersey Cotton Shorts - 2XL, Light Steel
Offered by NY Lingerie
Price: $9.94
5 used & new from $8.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Possibly Factory 2nds !, August 13, 2015
Ordering clothes online is always a gamble. I have been wearing these types of shorts of many years and my size seems to be universally the same, no matter the brand. I am an average 2X and these fit me as well as all my other 2X shorts.

My only real question here was how well they are made and how durable they prove to be. Sad to report the stitching, especially around the tops of the pockets, is substandard and in some cases incomplete. I purchased 2 pair of these to try them out and both pair have the same exact defects in the same places.

Material itself is good, but extremely thin. Have not washed them yet so am concerned about shrinkage, with the shorts being 90% cotton. Cold wash is indicated on the label.

I honestly don't think these will last a full year for me with an average of one washing per week. If the pockets don’t fall off, the material will certainly wear thru at some point. Hey, for 7 bucks each I can't complain. (not too much anyway!)

This is another reason why I need to bite the bullet and go to Wally World or a similar store to be able to actually SEE what I am buying. I would have never left the check stand with these, but since I used a 3rd party seller it would be too much trouble & expense to return them. Just learned a $14.00 lesson.

Bottom line: Good Fit, super thin material, and lousy stitching!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20