Profile for Marty Gillis > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 198

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Marty Gillis RSS Feed (Los Angeles)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
MetRX Prime Nutrition Bar, Strawberries and Cream, 6 Count
MetRX Prime Nutrition Bar, Strawberries and Cream, 6 Count
Offered by OxKom
Price: $17.50
9 used & new from $17.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but VERY chewy!, December 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When you eat one of these MetRX Prime Nutrition Bars you will be FULL! I certainly was. While the taste is nothing remotely like a Chocolate Brownie, it isn't half bad. In fact, it tasted more of honey to me than anything else although that isn't one of the listed ingredients. It tasted good enough to want to finish it.

On the plus side, it is not gritty in any way. Also, it really does fill you up. I ate one of these things at 2pm for a snack and I spoiled my dinner.

On the minus side, I about lost a filling trying to eat this. We are talking REALLY chewy here. Granted, I had them stored in a cool room but for those who have trouble with chewy food items or wear dentures, this may not be the best type of protein bar for you.

Unlike another reviewer, I had no ill effects after eating them. Nutritional info looks good and yes, they are made in the U.S.A. !

Bottom line, they taste “ok” and they fill you up. BUT they are SO chewy you may do yourself a mischief while eating one.

Cole Haan Women's Raquel Bootie,Black Back Quilted,7.5 B US
Cole Haan Women's Raquel Bootie,Black Back Quilted,7.5 B US
Price: $228.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Girlfriend tested, Cobbler Approved!, December 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Beautifully crafted out of premium materials, the Cole Haan Women's Raquel Bootie exudes quality and style. My other half is over the moon with these and I just admit they do look good on her. WOW!

A good friend of mine Tom has been an actual cobbler for many years and had remarked to me that you just don't see good craftsmanship any more these days unless you pay many times more what these shoes cost. He examined them up and down, in and out and proclaimed they were “Very Good”.

For my friend Tom to say “very good” you can bet they are something special. He usually criticizes and hates all my new shoes. Granted, I am not the one who is wearing them (that honor goes to my cohabitant ) but it is noteworthy for him to say these are made well.

My other half has told me that while these are not THE most comfortable shoes she wears, they are in the upper 10% for comfort as far as heels go. (did I say she looked GOOD wearing these? Yeah, I thought so!) She did put in a special insole cushioning thingie and had mentioned they didn't really have much in that area so perhaps that is something to think about. She has also mentioned they were just a bit snug but should loosen up with wear.

As a layman and not one who wears women's shoes (usually) I can only say that I find them to be both well made and attractive. They look more expensive than they are but I am a guy who buys his shoes at Wally World so what do I know? That's why I mention my friend Tom the Cobbler. He knows shoes and he says these are good. That, and the smiling face of my other half is enough to convince me most should be quite pleased with these. I know I like looking at them on her. (Didn’t I just say that?)

Girlfriend tested, Cobber Approved! Yep!

STIGA Evolution Table Tennis Racket
STIGA Evolution Table Tennis Racket
Price: $61.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Forrest Gump, Eat your heart Out!, December 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While it's true that Forrest used a “Gump-Mao Table Tennis” Flex-o-Lite paddle, he would have been much better off trying one of these  STIGA Evolution rackets. (remember Forrest, paddle is as paddle does!) I could tell immediately after removing this from the packaging that it was a cut above what I had been using.

If you are serious about improving your game, or an intermediate/advanced player, the Stigma Evolution will meet your needs. There are better rackets out there, but you'd be very hard pressed to find anything better at this price. Beats the pants off of lesser brands and just feels “right” in your hand.

Quick as lightening, spin to spare and a well balanced feel. Excellent materials and quality manufacturing ensure long life and some great games. (looks cool too!)

Without a doubt, there is some serious engineering going on here and after spending a day with this racket I seriously doubt you will regret your purchase. Serious equipment, for serious players at a reasonable price.

Recommended by ME, Marty G!
***After spending a few hours with this racket I am curious how their Pro Carbon model fares. Hard to believe it might be better than this one, but you never know.

Grohe 30205000 Ladylux Café Touch Pull-Down Spray Head Kitchen Faucet
Grohe 30205000 Ladylux Café Touch Pull-Down Spray Head Kitchen Faucet
Offered by Homeclick
Price: $363.00
10 used & new from $363.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Appearance & Highly Functional, December 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Grohe 30205000 Ladylux Café Touch Pull-Down Spray Head Kitchen Faucet is one serious piece of hardware for your kitchen sink. Manufactured to an exacting standard with very high level build quality . Both materials and construction are top notch and easily justify the high price. This faucet is going to last.

I knew full well that the installation would be beyond me, so I rang my Handyman, 'Stan the Man' . (honestly, that is what it says on his card and what we all call him) This is somebody who works with plumbing all week , every week and he was totally impressed with this faucet. Luckily for us here we have a double stainless steel sink so it matched up in appearance. Also lucky that 'Stan the Man' does electrical as that is needed as well with this, but with the circuit for the disposal handy, it was really an easy thing to accomplish. (for him yes, for me, forget it!)

Stan had to make a slight adaptation to where the faucets mounts on the sink but the finished job is flush and the entire sink area now looks as if it were originally made that way. Total install time of approx. 2 hours was required but I got a first rate bang up job out of 'Stan the Man' this time.

Using the faucet is luxury itself. No more smearing grease on my faucet handle after handing meats during food prep. No more dirty muddy hands grabbing the handle and mucking every thing up! NO MORE! The Ladylux Cafe performs admirably. Plenty of water pressure, no untoward noises, no leaks and beautiful looks. The pull down spray function works a treat and mine returns to it's seated position easily and stays in place.

The faucets' circuit can be supplied with emergency battery backup power in case of a power outage which was something that had been an initial concern to me. For this amount of $$ you would hope they had thought of everything and apparently in this case THEY HAVE!

Every visitor to my home has since commented on it and wanted to try it out. (if only I could get them to do my dishes!!) With Grohes' limited lifetime faucet & finish warranty and top quality materials used in both the faucet and the fittings and mechanisms, I have very little doubt this faucet will last a very long time and provide years of trouble free use. ('Stan the Man's' custom install didn't hurt things either)

It does cost a bit more to get the best, but once you start using the Ladylux Cafe you will be hooked quickly and wonder why you did without it for so long. A high quality piece of kit for your kitchen! Gorgeous, highly functional, and the best faucet I have ever had installed in any of my homes over the years.

Recommended by ME, Marty G!

GP Spectrum® Standard 92 Multipurpose Paper, 8.5 x 11 Inches, 3-Ream (1500 Sheets) (998606)
Price: $12.99
25 used & new from $9.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value & great results!, December 5, 2014
Every time I purchase this product I feel like I will never run out of paper again. WRONG! Out again!~ And just like every other time I have bought this item, the quality is fine and yields very good results when used with every printer in our home.

With 1500 sheets in total (you'll have to trust them on that unless you wish to count them all) you will be all stocked up for home use which is what we use this for here. Well packed, w/no shipping damage plus easy to open and use, GP Spectrum® Standard 92 Multipurpose Paper is a quality product and an economical one as well.

I have had no smearing or jamming issues that I can possibly attribute to this paper. I can honestly find nothing wrong with this product and as such I am giving it Marty G's most highest recommendation. FIVE STARS!

CafePress Black Death Malt Liquor Dark T-Shirt
CafePress Black Death Malt Liquor Dark T-Shirt
Offered by CafePress
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it to me straight Doctor, I can take it!, December 3, 2014
As a longtime fan of Howard Hesseman's iconic creation 'Dr. Johnny Fever' I just had to have this shirt! It is a better than average replica of the famous Black Death Malt Liquor T-Shit that Johnny wears throughout the shows 4 season run. I found that the Navy color was the closest match to the color Dr. Fever wore on the show, judging from colors observed on the new DVD set.

The shirts logo is just a bit too low compared to where it sits on the famous version. Not terribly so, but a bit on the low side. (maybe by 1 and 1/2 inches) The picture on this page looks perfect but is NOT a good representation of the shirt I was sent. Also, Cafe Press is not known for the quick turnaround time. Be prepared to wait a bit after ordering.

Logo being a bit low aside, this is a very high quality shirt, the logo is on to stay although I can't tell if it was silk screened or not. It fit fine right out of the package and retained it's shape and size after washing/drying. I was surprised at how thick the material is on this one. I probably would have preferred it a bit thinner but what the heck.

I admit to wearing my Black Death T-Shirt while watching WKRP from the new Shout! DVD complete series set and hollering out "BOOGER" at the appropriate moment!

Phone cops everywhere agree, it's gotta be this shirt, if you wanna dance with ME!

Recommended heartily by ME, Marty G!

Pinnacle Studio 18 Ultimate
Pinnacle Studio 18 Ultimate
Price: $129.53
19 used & new from $123.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, but I prefer Final Cut Pro, December 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am a simple hobbyist and not using this program for truly professional purposes. I have written this review for those of you who are low level beginners like myself. If you are a pro, you can skip this as you will already know everything I have to say and MUCH more!

My main editor of choice is Final Cut pro , run on my quad core iMac. For Windows 7 use I have found Pinnacle Studio 18 to be more than sufficient for my needs but I still prefer the work flow and plug-ins offered by Apple a bit more. Don't get me wrong this is not a poor product. Yes, I did receive a review unit of this and yes I am a member of Amazon Vine. However, if something sucks I will be the first to write about it and I frequently give products poor reviews, whether or not I got them from Vine .

With that said, let me focus on what I DO like about this program. The included plug-ins are plentiful and of very high quality. The toolkit here allows you to achieve almost anything you can conceive. Actually, for my purposes of making and editing family home videos it is overkill. I will never run out of options. I will most likely not live long enough to discover ALL the options this program provides.

I am running Windows 7 (64 bit) on a quad core i5 with just 8 gigs of RAM using last years Nvidia and I can easily load the program and so far have experienced a bare minimum of video glitching. Project loading is a bit slow and rendering time is even slower. However, I am working on a pretty anemic computer and would imagine a dedicated machine that is loaded w/ RAM and perhaps a SS drive would give you the very best results. No crashes though so the program does appear to be stable.

It took me less than an hour to find what I needed with the GUI and it was soon apparent this program is much deeper than I will ever need. On the other hand, I will never run out of options. Performing simple editing operations were both easy to accomplish and fairly intuitive. Cut & Paste, time compression & locking to SMPTE are things I do lots of and this was easy to accomplish with Studio 18 Ultimate. The included FX and various processing plug-ins kept me busy for a few ours, just paying with them. While I am a simple hobbyist, there is no doubt this program can be used for professional applications. The disc utilities alone are excellent, both for authoring and burning. With support for both 4K and 3D video and everything you will need for multiple resolutions up to 1080p and beyond, you will only truly be limited by your hardware.

You can easily work with ANY type of video file. No matter the format, this program can handle it. You do get audio support for up to DD 5.1 but not DTS. (it didn't work for me, maybe I am missing something) I was actually surprised at the number of audio options and tools present.

Importing your video captures or files, editing, enhancing, rendering, authoring, and burning/uploading. Pinnacle Studio 18 has so far handled everything I have thrown at it. While this may not be the “end all/be all” of video editing suites, it does an admirable job and most importantly it appears to be stable in Windows 7 which is a must for me. Again, at risk of repeating myself, the disc authoring/burning utilities are top notch and VERY handy and honestly they will get the most use from me.

Pinnacle Studio 18 Ultimate may not be the actual “Ultimate” but it IS very good. I am taking off one star because I think it may be just a bit pricey when comparing similar programs in the current marketplace.

TP-LINK Archer C20i AC750 Dual Band Wireless AC Router, 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5Ghz 433Mbps, Stand Design, 1 USB Port, IPv6, Guest Network
Offered by Network Giant
Price: $29.99
50 used & new from $27.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Multi-Purpose Unit, November 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
TP-Link has a decent performer here considering the price point. This is not the fastest router I own, but it is also not the slowest. (that honor goes to my Verizon unit that comes with my Fios set-up)

Installation was uneventful and I have had no problems accessing all my network shares and external devices, both wired and wireless. The added bonus of a USB port for connecting external drives or devices is appreciated.

Build quality is your basic mid level Made-in China quality which is not to say it is cheap looking. It isn't. I didn't expect much in the looks department at this price and was mainly concerned with overall performance so was happily surprised to see the unit looked good and felt solid enough as well. It is, however, a dust and fingerprint magnet.

I've been testing and using numerous routers over the last few years and have lots to compare this TP-Link Archer to. The GUI stands out right away as being very easy to work with. It's basic, but everything is right there and things just work as you might expect. Much better than a real overdone fancy GUI that ends up having more glitches than features. Poor code can ruin your user experience no matter how deluxe or expensive your router may be. TP-Link did good with this particular product's software and the implementation. Including a way to configure a Guest Network connection is also a welcome addition.

Router runs on the cool side of things and you even get a dedicated On/Off button which are hard t come by these days. Speed from the USB port is very slow, but networked signals were sufficient to stream HD video without glitching while another family member was web surfing. I eventually had 4 devices going at once using this router (Laptop, Desktop , Smart TV and tablet) and performance was acceptable. (I always feel I get better HD PQ using a wired connection and avoid wireless for my main HDTV)

My only real complaint about this unit is the range. I found that in my single floor home it is strong to about 60 ft and then drops off dramatically. This is not an issue for me as I already have 2 repeaters stationed strategically throughout the house. However, if you were planning to use this device all by itself bear in mind the range issues. YMMV of course!

TP-Link has a decent product here with good functionality, solid build quality and connectivity and a very attractive price. This unit is in many ways comparable to similarly priced Netgear units. I like the TP-Link software better and would choose THIS brand if all other factors were equal just for the easy to use software alone.

Nutri-Grain Cereal Bar Display Assortment, 1.3 Ounce, 48 count
Nutri-Grain Cereal Bar Display Assortment, 1.3 Ounce, 48 count
Price: $23.33
2 used & new from $23.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty and Addictive !, November 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Nutri-Grain hits the nail on the head with this 3 flavor variety pack!
Strawberry, Blueberry and Apple … 16 bars of each. 120 calories of pure unadulterated munchie heaven, while still maintaining a semblance of good nutrition and a sensible calorie count.

Individually wrapped & color coded by flavor. Packaging opens easily. Product is fresh and uniform. They are a bit on the squishy side, so dropping, smashing, smooshing or stepping/sitting on these would be ill advised. On the bright side that means they are very easily chewed and swallowed, so those with problems in that area can rest easy.

I personally found these cereal bars to be both tasty AND filling. I prefer the apple myself, but found the other two flavors to be more than adequate.

In fact , they are a bit on the addictive side so watch out. That first 120 cal bar goes down quick and it is VERY easy to slide down a few more. Less than 50 cents each and very convenient. Did I mention they were additive? I could tell you more but I am off to grab another Nutri-Grain bar!

Nature's Bounty Mini Fish Oil, 1290mg, 90 Count
Nature's Bounty Mini Fish Oil, 1290mg, 90 Count
Price: $12.99
13 used & new from $11.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality & Value plus more for your $$, November 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I suffer from advanced Rh. arthritis and have been using Fish Oil for the last 8 years with some degree of success in helping my joints by reducing the severity and duration of my inflammation cycles. The difference between using Fish Oil and not using it is slight, but there IS a difference and at my stage of the game I will take whatever advantage I can. (along with other Rx anti inflammatory medicines and a strict diet)

Nature's Bounty gives you a bit higher concentrations from similar brands including my usual choice of Kirkland which only offers 1000mg per capsules as opposed to the more generous 1290mg offered here. The packaging is of high quality.

These are easy to swallow and I noticed no untoward odor or taste on the way down. NO gastric effects, at least for me, and no fish oil burps either. Overall, a very good product that performs as expected and gives you a bit extra for about the same money.

Made by a reliable company, 'Mini Fish Oil' offers both quality AND value and as such it is recommenced by ME, Marty G !

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20