Profile for Marty Gillis > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 259

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Marty Gillis RSS Feed (Los Angeles)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Adventures of Ford Fairlane [Blu-ray]
Adventures of Ford Fairlane [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Wayne Newton
Price: $11.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Blu ray Transfer for 'The Diceman' !!, April 30, 2015
Andrew Dice Clay! You either love him or you hate him! There is no middle ground... I am in the “Love Him” camp. So sue me!

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane is one of a very few mainstream hits for 'The Diceman'. It always amuses and entertains and I've watched it at least once a year since it first came out in 1990. With that said, this review will be strictly about the video and audio quality of this release, rather than the film itself.

So how does Ford Fairlane stack up on Blu ray?

In a word, G R E A T !! The film comes on a BD-25 disc and as such the bit rate is on the middle end up things but not low enough to cause any unwanted compression artifacts. AVC 1080p encoded and presented in 2.35:1 aspect ratio which is pretty much identical to the theatrical release. No java on this disc so disc resume works perfectly!

Overall PQ is a solid 4 out of 5 stars, sometimes even 4.5 depending on the scenes. Natural grain structure remains visibly intact but almost never intrusive. It looks like a FILM which is good, since it IS a film. Fine detail is quite good much of the time and the colors are natural and vivid with the original color timing apparently intact. It probably never looked better in the theater. Banding, aliasing, DNR, Edge Enhancement and excess grain are not an issue. (excepting a few dark scenes where the natural film grain rears it's ugly head a few times)

Fans of 'The Diceman' are gonna love how this looks!

OK, the picture is pretty darn good, how about the sound?

You get an uncompressed Dolby TrueHD 5.1 mix. While most of the film's audio takes place in the center channel, there is great separation and depth with much of the music and many of the effects shots and action take advantage of 5 channel panning. While not quite fully immersive as a new release, 'The Adventures of Ford Fairlane' delivers the audio goods as much as you would expect and maybe a bit more.

I personally prefer DTS HD Master Audio to anything Dolby and find I ALWAYS need to crank up my master volume a bit more with TrueHD titles. Other than that, no complaints about the audio.

Bottom, line: One of the best catalog titles I have seen released in quite some time.
Fans of Andrew Dice Clay will be very pleased with this Blu Ray release. It's never looked or sounded better and I am really happy I upgraded from my long serving but now obsolete DVD copy. It's a bare bones release but if you are fan, you will LOVE it!

Totally recommended by ME, Marty G !

Nature Made Vitamin C Timed Release with Rosehips -- 500 mg - 60 Tablets
Nature Made Vitamin C Timed Release with Rosehips -- 500 mg - 60 Tablets
Offered by I Buy Direct
Price: $4.48
6 used & new from $4.48

5.0 out of 5 stars The absolute BEST Vitamin C!, April 23, 2015
I gotta say here and now, these actually WORK for me! I had long suspected a Vitamin C deficiency as the culprit behind some of my more annoying daily problems and I am here to tell you that after just 3 weeks of use I can notice a discernible difference in how I feel on a day to day basis. I am even sleeping better. I made sure and ordered more so I won't run out. Yep, it is THAT good!

Absolutely the most dramatic results I have ever obtained from a supplement, other than starting Saw Palmetto for prostate heath reasons.

Product is well packaged and labeled and performs in an above average fashion. Everything you could ask for in a Vitamin supplement.

I have ZERO complaints about this product and as such do give it Marty G's most highest recommendation!

Breaking Bad Men's Better Call Saul Tee, Light Gray, X-Large
Breaking Bad Men's Better Call Saul Tee, Light Gray, X-Large
Price: $10.00
8 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Kevin Costner should get one of these!, April 23, 2015
Everyone's favorite Criminal Attorney is honored with this great cotton T-Shirt. (I bought the Grey)
Material is nice and very comfortable against my skin. Fit is PERFECT for an X-Large.

The graphics are professionally applied and look absolutely great after 10 washings so far. A great product honoring a great TV character, expertly played by the great comedian/writer/and now character actor, Mr. Bob Odenkirk.

Don't drink and drive...but if you DO, ya “Better Call Saul” ! Not sure if wearing this T-Shirt can get you out of trouble, but every little bit helps eh?

100% pleased with this product and as such give it Marty G's most HIGHEST recommendation!

Breaking Bad - TV Show Door Poster / Print (Heisenberg: I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS) (Size: 21" x 62")
Offered by Poster Stop
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars YO B***H ! BE the danger! BE the One Who Knocks!, April 23, 2015
Fits perfectly on my bedroom door! A perfect execution of a great poster idea! Paper stock is about average, printing looks good and it ships in a nice sturdy cardboard tube !! NO COMPLAINTS of any kind!

Channel your inner Heisenberg! You know you want to!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Duraflame Crackling Log Set in Black DFL001
Duraflame Crackling Log Set in Black DFL001
Price: $49.96
2 used & new from $43.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed by this product..., April 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While this product looked really good on paper, the actual product itself is a bit on the underwhelming side. If you don;t examine it closely,. the overall look is fine. The sound effects are a bit on the cheap sounding side of things but again, if you don't focus on them exclusively, they are ALSO fine.

I actually put this IN my fireplace where it looks the best. (hiding the AC cord was a bit tricky)

I would suggest checking this product out in the store before purchasing. While it may be exactly what you want, there is a fair chance it may not be due to the overall apparent cheapness. They are fake logs and they do indeed LOOK (and sound) a bit "fake" ..

Werther's Sugar Free Chewy Caramels, 2.75 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Werther's Sugar Free Chewy Caramels, 2.75 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Price: $30.90
2 used & new from $30.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than you might think!, April 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are actually pretty good. Soft enough not to rip your fillings out, but still chewy enough to satisfy. Taste is very close to what I would really want out of a caramel. For a dietetic treat, the taste is above average. Aftertaste only really occurs if you eat 3 or 4 in a row. (which I did)

While I would still prefer a nice bag of Kraft Caramels to munch on, I am no longer allowed to do so by my physician. That's where these Werther Chewy Caramels come in VERY handy! While calories are not all that low, actual sugar levels ARE.

If you are on the fence about these, I recommend you give em' a try. Some of the best sugar free candy I have had to date!

Nelson Riddle 24x36 Poster conducting orchestra
Nelson Riddle 24x36 Poster conducting orchestra
Offered by Silver Screen
Price: $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great photo, good quality printing and stock, April 23, 2015
Great photo, great quality printing and stock. Looks GREAT framed on my wall with my own treasured post card featuring Nelson Riddle's actual signature mounted at the bottom corner. Shipped in a hard poster tube, arrived in perfect condition!

Buy with confidence! recommended by ME, Marty G
Comment Comment | Permalink

Breaking Bad Men's Heisenberg Short Sketch T-Shirt
Breaking Bad Men's Heisenberg Short Sketch T-Shirt
Price: $3.33 - $35.92

5.0 out of 5 stars BE the one who knocks!, April 23, 2015
This is a nice shirt for those of you wanting to express your inner Heisenberg! In fact, I knew it was gonna do the trick for me when my postman handed me the box at my front door while saying “ I Am The One Who Knocks ! (a real wise guy)

Material is fine, nice and soft, not scratchy. The Heisenberg design is very well applied and looks great.

Size is a bit of an issue with this shirt. ALL my other shirts fit me comfortably at X-Large size. THIS ONE runs a bit on the small side. Not short, but not WIDE enough. I recommend ordering the next size up from what you normally get, then wash it in warm water and tumble dry to shrink it to size. It should shrink just enough so you are not swimming in it.

The overall quality of the shirt and application of the graphics are above average and should yield a good amount of wear cycles. I used a regular wash cycle with warm water and hung it dry rather than risk shrinkage from using the dryer.

(My “Better Call Saul” shirt from the exact same manufacturer fits perfectly with an Extra Large, go figure!)

Overall, a good shirt and a VERY cool looking one for all Breaking Bad fans out there. Heisenberg himself would be pleased.

Recommended by ME, Marty G

SmartyPants Gummy Vitamins Adult Multivitamins Plus Omega 3's Plus Vitamin D Diet Supplement Gummies, 180 Count
Price: $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty and getting good results!, April 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's hard to evaluate vitamins. How can you tell whether or not they are working? It would be easy to notice any adverse symptoms but as far as getting therapeutic results,. That seems it would be more difficult.

Not in this case!

I can strongly attest to the fact that within 2 weeks of chewing 6 of these each day, my overall sense of health and well being has improved significantly. Nope, it isn't all in my head. I suffer form poor health due to a number of medical reasons and am very sensitive to changes in my condition. When something is added to my daily routine that IMPROVES things, I notice it very quickly.

What has improved? I am sleeping better and have more energy during the day. I was taking a Multi-Vitamin from Costco, but had no such reaction to it. I discontinued those while testing the Smart Pants vitamins and the difference in how I felt was night and day. If this is the placebo effect then bring it on, I WANT MORE! (just as long as Walter White isn't involved in their production)

As far as I can tell, there are only three colors/flavors inside. (orange and lemon & strawberry banana) They both taste good and I just pop 6 in my mouth after breakfast each morning for a bit of a Vitamin Treat/Snack. I found that sticking to 6 of the same flavor works best. They are pretty much like gum drops and yes they do include actual sugar in the ingredients. Taste is good and they were fresh.

I can only speak for myself here but I do recommend trying these Smarty Pants vitamins. They are a bit on the pricey side as this huge bottle is only a months supply, BUT they do seem to work for me and that really has me impressed.

YMMV but after trying out multiple brands over the last 6 years or so, this is the only supplement that has actually produced positive and tangible results for me.

Recommended by ME, Marty G !

iLIVING ILG8F12 Industral Grade 3-Speed High Velocity Floor Fan, 12-Inch
iLIVING ILG8F12 Industral Grade 3-Speed High Velocity Floor Fan, 12-Inch
Offered by Sun Tech Store
Price: $34.99
8 used & new from $28.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Unusable due to Mold & Chemical smell......, April 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had high hopes for this fan as I live in an extremely hot area of Southern California and a spare fan is always welcome. Unfortunately I am unable to make us of it for the following reasons:

After reading a number of reviews that reported a strong “Mold” smell coming from both the packaging and the fan itself I decided it was best to open it outside.
Before I even removed the fan itself from the generic cardboard packaging, the overpowering stench of Mold/Mildew plus some sort of industrial chemical/solvent confirmed that opening this outdoors was the best choice. Since any presence of mold spores rendered the fan useless I did not bother to plug it in. It would be next to impossible to properly clean whatever is making the smell plus the chemical solvent smell seems to be coming from inside the fan motor which is not user serviceable.

Visually, the fan looks extremely cheap and the power cable was terminated at the motor in what looked to be a haphazard fashion. I can live without a potential fire hazard in my home.

If you need a good floor fan, try shopping in a brick and mortar where you can actually sniff the floor models and possibly take one of them with you, thereby eliminating any chance you will end up with a moldy lemon such as this.

Steer clear of this one folks!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20