Profile for Trevor Owens > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Trevor Owens RSS Feed

Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
by Jeff Gothelf
Price: $17.39
70 used & new from $12.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Addition to the Lean Series, March 11, 2013
The new Lean UX book is high quality and a fresh take on the Lean Startup process!

What I liked:
-Concise & Great Organization: I was able to finish the book in one sitting on my plane ride back from SXSW. I found it easy to follow and packed full of good information.
-Original: This is the first book to come out on the topic of Lean UX. I found the content new and interesting.
-Focus on teamwork and collaboration: The book about UX has clearly thought a lot about the experience of the process itself! I took away several tips for how to make my own team more effective.

What could be improved:
-Two or three times I found some terminology to be incorrectly defined. ie. authors used "Benchmark" when the word "Baseline" would have been more appropriate.
-I loved the chapter on Principles but thought the authors could have been more creative and created a mnemonic device, or at least numbered the Principles in order of priority to make it more memorable.

Overall it's a great book and I highly recommend it. I especially appreciate the concise and info-packed nature of it.

The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
by Patrick Vlaskovits
Price: $27.80
61 used & new from $11.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic & Based on Real Experience, February 27, 2013
Brant & Patrick have gone above and beyond in their new book, The Lean Entrepreneur. What I like best about the authors is that they bring real experience from working on their own startups and with hundreds of entrepreneurs around the world.

What I Enjoyed About This Book:
-Something for everyone- whether you're a developer, designer, entrepreneur, or intrapreneur, this book crystalizes key concepts around the idea of the Lean Startup methodology.
-Amazing illustrations- worth the purchase alone for the great illustrations from Fake Grimlock. I've used these to explain & understand difficult concepts with ease.
-Great Sequel- Brant & Patrick wrote the Entrepreneurs Guide to Customer Development, and this book builds and adds onto this classic text.

What Could Be Improved:
-Better table of contents/organization- I found myself flipping around rather than reading it all the way through. This wasn't an issue for me but it depends on your reading style. I also just use the search feature on my Kindle to fix this.
-More illustrations- the illustrations were really amazing in this book and would have loved even more of them.

Overall, it's one of the best startup/entrepreneurship books on the market now and I'd highly recommend it for anyone interested in Lean Startup and Innovation.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2013 8:50 PM PST

The Lean Startup: How Today's Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This Will Change the Fabric of Society as We Know It, September 13, 2011
The title may seem over the top, but actually the implications of Eric's new book are huge. I can't remember a text in recent years that predicted such significant conclusions for society, education, and world business.

**Concepts in the book that will make your head spin:

1) Ries's Law (I'm coining this right now) - Moore's Law that states the cost of new technology will rapidly decrease thereby reducing technological risk of innovation. It's not until The Lean Startup that we realize the cost of reaching customers and thereby market risk will also rapidly decrease.

2) Entrepreneur mythology as we know it is wrong (aka Steve Jobs is not what he seems). Iconic innovators ala the founders of Apple are believed by the public to be successful because of their creative vision of the future. The Lean Startup shows that in order for founders to be successful, they must test each element of there vision against reality.

3) Demystifying startup metrics. Even in a startup mecca like NYC, few entrepreneurs understand the metrics that drive their business. Eric's Innovation Accounting paradigm will change the early-stage VC industry as we know it.

**What I like about the book:

1) Comprehensive and a pleasure to read.

2) Real world examples (case studies) from tech startups to the non-profit industry. You will not find anything like these in other books.

3) Case studies in chapters 6 & 7 alone are worth the price of the whole book.

**What I don't like:

1) The chapter titles are a bit confusing and non-descriptive.

2) I could see some savvy entrepreneurs getting bored with the beginning when there's really great content in the later chapters. But if you're new to Lean Startup, the beginning chapters are a perfect introduction for you.

3) Some of the sources are outdates. I recently checked the links at the back of the book and gotten a couple 404's, but after searching on Google was able to find the sources. (this might be fixed now, not sure)

**Final Words
As someone who is very active on the latest research into innovation and entrepreneurship as well as an long-time entrepreneur myself, I love Eric's book and think that it's going to become a true classic and stand out as THE business book to read in 2011-2012. Don't listen to the haters, just look at the reviews from people like Marc Adreesen (founder of Netscape) and Dustin Moskovitz (cofounder of Facebook), these people don't endorse you unless you you are the real deal. Eric & The Lean Startup are the real deal.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2012 1:54 PM PDT

The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A cheat sheet to The Four Steps to the Epiphany
by Patrick Vlaskovits
Price: $17.57
51 used & new from $11.90

5.0 out of 5 stars "Smarter & Faster Way to Build a Startup", August 6, 2010
I didn't read this book... I studied it. The customer development process is the most important entrepreneurial paradigm in years and this is the definitive textbook. Startups will save a lot of time and money by mastering these concepts implementing them on day 1.

Ways to Improve: Kindle Version!