Profile for Clea > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Clea RSS Feed

NUK Expressive Single Electric Breast Pump
NUK Expressive Single Electric Breast Pump
Price: $38.80
7 used & new from $38.46

1.0 out of 5 stars junk! Stops working after a dozen or so uses, May 18, 2014
Bought one and it stopped working (no suction) after about 3weeks, so exchanged it for a new one and this one stopped working after about six uses. Total junk!

Anything: The Prayer That Unlocked My God and My Soul
Anything: The Prayer That Unlocked My God and My Soul
by Jennie Allen
Price: $9.45
110 used & new from $4.84

2.0 out of 5 stars Rambling and grasping for depth, December 28, 2013
This book is clearly influenced by the meandering, contemplative style of Blue Like Jazz. You can actually hear that this author is trying really really hard to write just like Donald Miller. And who can blame her? However, Donald Miller's essays, which sound digressive and casually conversational, are actually powerful analogic insights so skillfully presented that you aren't even aware of the careful organization of points. That's not an easy thing to duplicate at all, and this book sounds more like a pastor's wife's diary, a collection of just whatever thoughts happen to amble through her mind. She's clearly an honest and insightful person, but the writing needs more structure, clarity and focus in order to make an impact.

The Goldfinch: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction) (National Book Critics Circle Award: Fiction Finalists)
by Donna Tartt
Price: $17.95
192 used & new from $12.89

3.0 out of 5 stars It's no Secret History, December 28, 2013
On the plus side, the novel is pretty readable, and for a book that long, that's saying something. I wouldn't call it gripping though, and the main problem I felt throughout was that I just didn't really care about the protagonist that much. About half way through the novel, I actually took a moment and tried to mentally describe Theo, the main character, and it was hard to do. I think that is a pretty huge error on a writer's part. All the characters that surround Theo are extreme and charismatic, and very describable, but Theo, the one to whom we are supposed to attach most is sort of a non-entity, a chameleon, who gravitates to bold characters and then appropriates their characteristics and interests.
Rule number 1 for writing a great, epic, coming of age novel- create a memorable and lovable protagonist to hold it all together.
I also thought it could have used better editing, someone should be steering Donna Tartt away from writing half her novel (in parenthesis.) It pulls the reader out of the reality of the story and draws their attention to the artifice of the novel, and when an adult female author is trying to write as an adolescent male, drawing attention to the authorial presence is the last thing you want to do.
That said, I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading the novel, but if you're stuck on the proverbial island and only get to pick one, read The Secret History!

I've written a fuller review on my blog [...]

Shaming the Devil
Shaming the Devil
by Alan Jacobs
66 used & new from $1.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that really stays with you, June 16, 2013
This review is from: Shaming the Devil (Hardcover)
I'm actually writing this review probably five years at least after reading this book for the first time, which just proves my title. Yesterday in fact, the full phrase from which the title is derived came into my head, "tell the truth and shame the devil."
This book is not just an exhortation on the virtues of truth telling, but is a courageous act of truth-telling in itself. It runs the gamut of subjects from Shakespeare to Auden and discusses everything from honesty to art making. Beautiful, inspired, thought provoking and a real pleasure to read as well. Alan Jacobs is a truly gifted essayist, who draws seemingly disparate subjects together so naturally that you're surprised you never saw the connection before, and who also has a talent for taking on heady, scholarly subjects with a relaxed and conversational style. This book is in the category of "books I'd try to take with me if my house were on fire."

My Room in the Trees
My Room in the Trees
Price: $10.99
38 used & new from $6.55

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid contribution from Innocence Mission, June 16, 2013
This review is from: My Room in the Trees (Audio CD)
Birds of my neighborhood, it seems, will never be surpassed, but this is a lovely album. The opening song is like "Tomorrow on the Runway" or most of "Birds" one of their best.

Temper the wind to the shorn lamb
Temper the wind to the shorn lamb
4 used & new from $8.55

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite albums ever, June 16, 2013
This is what Christian rock should and could be. Honest, evocative, searching and kind of grungy. The lyrics are so good. Their sound has a wide range, from messy distortion and intense drums to quiet guitars, strings and delicate lyrical beauty. I don't know why this album is such a hidden gem, but it should be more known. If you like the honesty of Sufjan's lyrics and the real musicality of Sleeping at Last you'll like this album.

Kawaii Baby Good Night Heavy Wetter One Size Pocket Cloth Diaper with 2 Large Microfiber Inserts " Green Animal "

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done, June 16, 2013
Sometimes with cloth diapers you have to worry that they won't make it until morning, but this one always does. super absorbant and cute.

Altared: The True Story of a She, a He, and How They Both Got Too Worked Up About We
by Claire
Price: $10.68
46 used & new from $3.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Christian should read this book! It's about so much more than marriage, October 14, 2012
I almost feel concern that the Title and cover picture of this book might limit the audience that gets to benefit from it. It looks and blurbs like a book about marriage, and the pursuit of marriage, which of course it is, but it's SO much more. It's really just about love and obedience to God and it does some major idol shattering.

I am a married woman, and the stuff that rocked me most was about self-denial and rejecting the American Dream in favor of the Dream of Jesus.
There are amazing concepts having to do with loneliness, self-sacrifice, single-minded devotion to Christ that everyone could benefit from.
It's a really enjoyable read too. The blend of personal memoir and theology works really well to illustrate these large abstract concepts.

Read it!

Inside Out
Inside Out
by Larry Crabb
49 used & new from $2.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, and I'm really not exaggerating, September 24, 2010
This review is from: Inside Out (Paperback)
I've never placed much stock in the bounty of Christian self-helpy books out there, preferring more objective theology to shape my understanding of life, but Dr. Crabb combines incredible theological, psychological and counseling insights with such wisdom as to make them all seem inseparable, which really they are, though they aren't often treated that way. This is one of the most radical looks at faith, struggle, sadness, hope, and Christian living that I've ever encountered. It taught me to see the imperfections of this world as an indication of the perfection of God that awaits us. Imagine being able to find in pain and heartache and suffering a cause for joy in the Lord's goodness and a real yearning for heaven. There is so much in this book that I can't summarize it justly, but I will say that reading it wasn't just informative. It was a life experience, and God was actively involved in that experience for me.
Plus, Dr. Crabb has such a soothing presence and guileless honesty that he feels like a friend by the end of the book.

A Visit to Vanity Fair: Moral Essays on the Present Age
A Visit to Vanity Fair: Moral Essays on the Present Age
by Alan Jacobs
77 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Eclectic, fascinating and significant Essays. Even the Introduction is fascinating!, August 10, 2010
If you like this one check out "Shaming The Devil" tooShaming The Devil: Essays In Truthtelling Both books are awesome.